• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But
wasn't she a bitch to her step-dad who was just trying to deal with life/PTSD and try and be a better person? In hindsight (having only played the first game), her treatment of Madsen is awful.

Anyways...

Phew. That Phoenix Point news. I was seriously looking at buying it a couple of weeks ago, but figured I'd hold off until full release. I guess I'll be waiting an extra year on-top of that, because, no, I'm still not rewarding devs/pubs or Epic for timed exclusives on EGS.

And I'm well-surprised by the MCC news. I'm wondering how Valve did it - Valve and MS pushing more integration of their respective services, perhaps? It's not like EGS has much of anything in terms of of features or infrastructure, so it would've been easy an easy choice for MS.

He's a pretty big dick. He can slap the shit out of her depending on your choices. That crosses the line for a lot of people, no matter the tragic backstory.

Besides, it's hardly out of the realm of thought that a teenager, let alone a troubled one, might not know how to act around a volatile PTSD soldier. He's the adult in the relationship.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
My dad is dead and I dont
abuse my friends, blame them for shit I did, exploit their super power when they are clearly bleeding out of their eyeballs for using it, wave around guns like an idiot, blame them for losing said gun because my dealer friend threathened us
... and thats just 2 episodes. Not even going to touch on her writting, it sure is "hella" cool man (ugh)

Well you know she's a complicated young woman

But
wasn't she a bitch to her step-dad who was just trying to deal with life/PTSD and try and be a better person? In hindsight (having only played the first game), her treatment of Madsen is awful.

Nah that guy is a jerk.

Sim

Oct 25, 2017
I don't actually have a problem with Chloe. I'm just not going to sacrifice a town for her. Even looking through Max's point of view, it wouldn't fit the story to do so.

Looking into it, it may be a feature exclusive to the Elite Controller. 😕

Bummer. I wonder if the Elite controller has actual hardware that allows that or if it's just a needless exclusive feature.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
He's a pretty big dick. He can slap the shit out of her depending on your choices. That crosses the line for a lot of people, no matter the tragic backstory.

Didn't know that.
Besides, it's hardly out of the realm of thought that a teenager, let alone a troubled one, might not know how to act around a volatile PTSD soldier. He's the adult in the relationship.

True, but I still couldn't empathise/sympathize with Chloe, because of her attitude, and her 'tude towards Madsen is part of that.

Yeah, she won't get better in the game for you then. But definitely check out BtS afterwards, was very much in your boat and enjoyed the character far more there.

I understand this comment, but I don't "get" it. The franchise had one opportunity to sell me on Chloe, and that was LiS1. Pay money to play a game with a character who I currently hate but maybe won't at the end of it? Is that... Hateplaying (like hatewatching)? :p

Oct 25, 2017

This was retweeted by Sergey Galyonkin, so you know what's coming next.

tenor.gif

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
Chloe is such an annoying character, even her in-game universe decided she had to go, no matter your fancy time travel powers. Life itself couldn't stand her.

Chloe is the character that seems all edgy & cool when you're a teen. A true "F The Man!" personality.

When you get older, she's just an annoying, immature brat.

zSbedUy.jpg

Bender was my anti-establishment hero in high-school.

Viewing him through the lens of an adult?

Yeah, grow the f up, dude.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
The best thing that can happen for all these devs ..is that Epic is essentially pushing a year long marketing campaign for their eventual steam release. And they do well once their game hits steam.
But the devs aren't just sitting around that whole year. Whether the game succeeds or not, they'll be putting that money to use working on their next game (which can release simultaneously on Steam if Epic doesn't want to pay for it).

This deal is probably going to make Valve more money than all the current Epic moneyhats combined (the only real loss on that front is Division 2, and that game won't make Epic much money either). Epic can continue to steal indies and AAs, but as long as Steam have DMCs, Sekiros and Halos of the world Steam will be the market leader. If Epic wants a real moneyhat competition they should aim for stuff like RDR 2 or KH3, not cult favorites, indies and GaaS from sneaky bastards who advertise their store at Epics expense.
I don't think Epic will ever truly challenge Steam, but I also don't think Steam will be able to continue on indefinitely as they have in the past. (The Japanese publishers are a wild card; I could see them doing anything except coming up with their own stores.)

You've made your viewpoint on steam clear in other threads,
Extremely doubtful.

sredgrin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Chloe is really imrpoved a lot by BTS though.

Really helps having Americans write the dialogue. Dontnot do some good general work with themes and characterization, but they miss a lot of the details.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
But

Anyways...

Yup.
Is this where we pretend we didn't all treat our parents awfully at times? Let alone step parents? I don't think anyone's suggesting that Chloe is some sort of perfect woman, she's flawed and terrible in some regards, but she's brave and devoted, and she's the one who tells Max to save the town over her. She's, ya know, human.

Chloe is really imrpoved a lot by BTS though.

Really helps having Americans write the dialogue. Dontnot do some good general work with themes and characterization, but they miss a lot of the details.

Christian Divine, the lead writer for LiS, was born in Northern California.

Veidt

Oct 27, 2017
Will be interesting to see how a new Borderlands performs nowadays, seeing as the market is currently quite crowded in terms of co-op loot shooters. The Pre-Sequel didn't do very well commercially - arguably due to some franchise fatigue - and ended up playing a major part in 2K Australia's closure.

JD3Nine

The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
Texas, United States
Borderlands games are kind of a slog to me. 2 was sorta fun for awhile, but it just wasn't for me I guess. The only one I really liked was the TellTale one. I won't shed a tear if 3 is an EGS exclusive.

Deleted member 32374

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2017

Meh, I've read your posts, you think epic games will force valve to clean up their act, low key defended the Phoenix Point news of today... other.

Honestly, not interested in continuing this discussion. Later.

I never finished borderlands two. I just never ran well and I always played solo, the frustration got to me.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Borderlands games are kind of a slog to me. 2 was sorta fun for awhile, but it just wasn't for me I guess. The only one I really liked was the TellTale one. I won't shed a tear if 3 is an EGS exclusive.

I enjoyed the first one.

Played a bit of BL2 but was stood up by people who i was playing with multiple times ( well i was busy too :X)

Gonna do a solo run for BL2 in the future.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
Yup.
Is this where we pretend we didn't all treat our parents awfully at times? Let alone step parents? I don't think anyone's suggesting that Chloe is some sort of perfect woman, she's flawed and terrible in some regards, but she's brave and devoted, and she's the one who tells Max to save the town over her. She's, ya know, human.

LiS1 didn't do enough to set-up and backstory the characters so I cared about them. I get other people feel differently, and I do think that what the player brings through personal experience determines a lot, but just as characters, I actively hated them both, and only finished the game because I just wanted to uninstall it and hide it in my Steam library.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Didn't know that.
I understand this comment, but I don't "get" it. The franchise had one opportunity to sell me on Chloe, and that was LiS1. Pay money to play a game with a character who I currently hate but maybe won't at the end of it? Is that... Hateplaying (like hatewatching)? :p

It's definitely weird for sure, but in my case it came from enjoying the first game (Even if I didn't enjoy her character there). So seeing more of that universe and being able to see what made Chloe into the character I don't like later on really adds to the whole experience.

I'd actually go so far as to say BtS is the best LiS game.

nofuckinidea

Oct 25, 2017
I can see Borderlands 3 release on EGS alongside Steam. No way T2 will release the game only on EGS and miss on the Steam userbase for maximum profit.

Teeth

Nov 4, 2017
Halo on Steam.

I never thought I'd see the day. This is a good day.

Borderlands 3 on EGS? I like Borderlands, but I can wait. And if worse comes to worse, I'm agnostic enough to use a store that functions properly.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Halo on Steam.

I never thought I'd see the day. This is a good day.

Borderlands 3 on EGS? I like Borderlands, but I can wait. And if worse comes to worse, I'm agnostic enough to use a store that functions properly.

You telling me MS doesn't give you all the deets on upcoming projects? For Shame, Phil is slacking.

Fixed that for you. :p

See, that's a low bar for me, but also, it sells me more on the game than anything I've previously read. :)

If it ever pops up on the cheap or in a bundle, i'd definitely recommend checking it out. It works pretty well as a stand-alone title too.

Teeth

Nov 4, 2017
You telling me MS doesn't give you all the deets on upcoming projects? For Shame, Phil is slacking.

Nope. Phil's a great dude, but part of being a great dude is not telling everyone everything.

We know nothing about what is going on in MS.

I still gotta play BL2 and Pre-Sequel.

Those are the good ones. I mean, BL1 is pretty decent (and lots of people prefer the narrative style), but BL2 is where it became "fully featured". And I like BLPS more than most people. The mobility and environment navigation options are a fun twist and ice powers are great. But I only play single player and don't play BL games like "forever" games like the hardcore people do (so I never see the problems beyond the campaigns).

Vibranium

Oct 28, 2017
The nice thing about a high Canadian dollar is you be can be very patient waiting years for games to drop in price or for certain other reasons.

Now the MCC on the other hand, that's day 1. Replaying ODST and Reach will be incredible.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
We've said this about every moneyhatted game though
Yeah but Borderlands is a popular franchise with a big userbase on Steam. T2 don't have a launcher like Ubisoft to compensate the few sales on EGS. I just can't see it.

Borderlands 2 is still in the Top 50 most played games on Steam (Currently 8400 Players). If Gearbox/2K make a move to EGS. Epic gave them one hell of a paycheck to basically cover any loss of revenue from purchases.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
God the desert trek in FFXII never ends.
FFXII is MMO in all the worst ways.

You're going to be doing a lot more trekking.

Borderlands 2 is still in the Top 50 most played games on Steam (Currently 8400 Players). If Gearbox/2K make a move to EGS. Epic gave them one hell of a paycheck to basically cover any loss of revenue from purchases.
They'd be banking on the strength of the brand to bring the players with them.

Lost sales would be covered by the payout, but also by getting to keep more of each transaction (including DLC). It's the same calculus all the other major publishers are making.

sredgrin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've played it before, I just didn't remember this particular section being so long.

Though I also played it when I was a kid and had way more time and patience for long ass JRPGs.

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
Wild to think that I'll be playing the Halo series on Steam, used to be my favorite multiplayer games in the 2000s.

I also now have absolutely 0 reason to think about getting an Xbox One.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
We've also said that already for Metro series. Metro happened, so anything can happen now.

While Metro was a shock at first, as time has gone on. The move made more and more sense.
  • Metro is considered a PC franchise (despite being multi-platform)
  • Despite being relatively popular, they're not huge money makers
  • Deep Silver got bought out by THQ Nordic due to poor management but are still their own entity atm
So Epic grabbing that with a money hat would fit what they're actually capable of. The titles to watch out for are definitely going to be stuff like that going forward. For example something like say Divinity: Original Sin 3 would be right up there in the sort of titles Epic could afford and what they'd garner would push hardcore players to check them out.

Ignoring Uplay and Beth here, since we know the moves there are just get things to their launchers instead.

nofuckinidea

Oct 25, 2017
We've also said that already for Metro series. Metro happened, so anything can happen now.
Maybe. But if Borderlands 3 is GaaS with tons of DLC (like Borderlands 2), they want the potential userbase as big as possible. So it doesn't make any sense to releaee exclusive on EGS imo

But on the other hand I thought MCC will never be on Steam...

JD3Nine

The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
Texas, United States
Maybe. But if Borderlands 3 is GaaS with tons of DLC (like Borderlands 2), they want the potential userbase as big as possible. So it doesn't make any sense to releaee exclusive on EGS imo

But on the other hand I thought MCC will never be on Steam...
Yeah. It's still a toss up I think. It will be interesting if it does go exclusive. What is the population gonna be like? Not only for DLC / MTX like you said, but also playing a co op game that has a lower population is gonna suck for players. Everyone will be losing if the game is exclusive IMO.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.