• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
WARN applies only to larger employers. Employers must provide the notice required by WARN only if they have 100 or more full-time employees, or at least 100 employees who work a combined 4,000 hours or more per week.
Yeah, sounds like Valve clearly falls under that.
Sure, but interesting stuff happens later on that page. Apparently it starts with 50 people laid off at once... of course you would just batch them instead.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
They only count people who mainly post gaming-related content. Here's their Top 10 for 2018:
wYBDP3Y.jpg

Feeling really out of touch cos i never even once heard of 9 of those people.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
CSGO has been down for 1 hour now. -_-

This better be the UI update!

Edit: Nioh is down too. Oh well.

Well, 9 out of those 10 are 100% dedicated to Fortnite so the comparison to 2017 (much less 2016) seems fairly redundant considering Fortnite basically had no audience back then.

The only thing we can deduce is that Fortnite streamers/youtubers became the top influencers in general. What that means is certainly up for debate!

Last edited:

Memphis-Ahn

Nov 7, 2017
They only count people who mainly post gaming-related content. Here's their Top 10 for 2018:
Okay that makes sense.

That's not what they state. What they state is that Top 100 influencers (and particularly the Top 10) are increasingly playing the same big games and giving little attention to the rest. As an example, out of the top 100 gaming influencers, 61 have covered Fortnite and 43 of them are mainly posting Fortnite-related content.
In summary, these analytics suggest it's getting tougher to find beneficial influencers that drive views for your product with so many focusing on a small subset of games.
I guess I'm just not understanding the point. Even Ninja will play Apex if you pay him enough; whether that is beneficial or not (views, page clicks, downloads, etc.) isn't covered by the article at all. It's obvious that people who want to watch Fortnite will go to Fortnite channels, and what would even be the point of influencing those people? Just focus on variety streamers (there are plenty and they're not hard to find) or wait until Fortnite dies and those content makers diversify or die with it (as happened with many games before).

Never heard of Ali-A? His name got around (and not in a good way) quite a bit.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
yea but what if they do a killer instinct and put it out free on gamepass/windows store and then 60 bucks on steam

Microsoft actually doing what pc gamers want is very unlikely.

This said, I don't care in what store they are selling Halo MCC, as long as the game isn't locked in some kind of encrypted container. I'm not supporting any efforts to turn pcgaming into locked down console gaming.

Sadly, many other people will because of Halo. 😞

JD3Nine

The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
Texas, United States
Microsoft actually doing what pc gamers want is very unlikely.

This said, I don't care in what store they are selling Halo MCC, as long as the game isn't locked in some kind of encrypted container. I'm not supporting any efforts to turn pcgaming into locked down console gaming.

Sadly, many other people will because of Halo. 😞
It does kind of sound like even though this new format might not be UWP, it still is gonna have the same downsides. I don't get MS sometimes.

Dan L

Tried to PM someone for a tag
Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan
Yup ninja is the only one I have heard of and I don't know what he looks like even.

My 14 year old is into Jacksepticeye and Markiplier she watches them all the time, I think they are classified as youtubers though not streamers. from what I have seen they seem decent for what they do.

I am out of touch, Giant Bomb gives me all the fools playing games I need

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
Steam is very obviously having troubles the entire world over and yet every social media account they own is silent.

Look for news can't find any.

Veidt

Oct 27, 2017
In the realm of potential exciting news about Halo MCC, there's probably only two options that would apply: a PC release or Halo Reach being added to the collection. Given the whole talk about Game Pass on PC, it's not surprising that most people are expecting the former announcement.

I still think it's more likely they're teasing an E3 announcement of some sort, but we'll see.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
Steam is very obviously having troubles the entire world over and yet every social media account they own is silent.

Look for news can't find any.

Pretty much any other company - public or private - would be going through a review of management after the past year of issues:

1) Pubs and devs gaming store presence for EGS exclusives
2) Steam losing out on big games to EGS (Metro Exodus if nothing else)
3) The continued confusion over what's allowed on the store when it comes to VNs and anime-style games
4) Variable treatment for reviewing games to be released on Steam, depending upon reviewer
5) Artifact being shockingly mishandled
6) Rape Day showing how non-existent pre-approval on Steam really is. There really should just be a step between "Dev hits button for Steam store page" and "Steam store page goes live".
7) And going back a little over a year, the whole "LGBTQ games are being randomly removed"

At this stage it's hard to argue that Valve isn't being mismanaged.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pretty much any other company - public or private - would be going through a review of management after the past year of issues:

3) The continued confusion over what's allowed on the store when it comes to VNs and anime-style games
4) Variable treatment for reviewing games to be released on Steam, depending upon reviewer
6) Rape Day showing how non-existent pre-approval on Steam really is. There really should just be a step between "Dev hits button for Steam store page" and "Steam store page goes live".
7) And going back a little over a year, the whole "LGBTQ games are being randomly removed"

While this is true I think the poster was just talking about technical issues today.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA

theyre making more money then ever

those are all minor compared to that

doesnt fit the modern business definition of mismanged then

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
While this is true I think the poster was just talking about technical issues today.

Which I actually forgot to add to the list. :D

theyre making more money then ever

those are all minor compared to that

doesnt fit the modern business definition of mismanged then

Making more money than ever doesn't mean they shouldn't be making even more money, and I think their future revenue is going to suffer for a mixture of the reasons I gave. I can tell you now that if I had a game on Steam, this Rape Day debacle would make me seriously look at EGS, and I hope everyone knows how much I think EGS sucks, and think Epic themselves are anticompetitive. I wonder how many are like me?

Andres

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't Valve say they wanna talk to devs at GDC? I guess in another week we'll see what happens, it seems to be the only way people will communicate with them over well...a lot of things.

matimeo

UI/UX Game Industry Veteran
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
It does kind of sound like even though this new format might not be UWP, it still is gonna have the same downsides. I don't get MS sometimes.

Sure you do. They are protecting their investment. They need to follow company security protocols and they don't necessarily get to set them. I think the main thing is at least getting file delivery consistent since the Win store way just wasn't working for everyone. Hopefully the rumored CDN change helps there.

343i is aware of the community's asks so it will up to them to figure out how to build pathways for that while aligning to company protocols.

That's the difference with Xbox they are part of a bigger strategy and that strategy is not always focused on them but it doesn't mean they can opt out completely. Phil has lasted there as long as he has because he understands how to navigate that corporate culture. It's slow , painful, and you better not come off as a threat when in others territory.

Now me , I struggle with having that level of patience but I understand it's the only way to shift an organization as large and established as MS into new areas.

And even if you do that right, another company shift can erase all your work just like that.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I wanted to go back to Beat Cop but I guess it didn't have cloud saves cause that shit is gone

Now do I double dip on Switch tho

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
welp, it finally happened, after years of using them, I got the dreaded "code already used" from a cdkeys purchase RIP.

I hope their support is nice >_>

Since it lets you rape and kill women, I'd say so.

GTA gets shit on all the time and even that doesn't allow that

Lash your take on Valve's insane "polite / both sides" responde to unlisting Rape Day? I need to know that you at least are still sane, you're one of my last hopes for sanity around here >_>

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
There's a certain kind of game that causes me to curse endlessly, but I know is good and I want to see through to the end. Hollow Knight was one, Celeste was another, and Dandara appears to be the latest.

(Dark Souls does not fall into this category because it would require too much time for me. Heck, I never got around to beating the final boss in The Surge and doubtfully ever will)

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
There's a certain kind of game that causes me to curse endlessly, but I know is good and I want to see through to the end. Hollow Knight was one, Celeste was another, and Dandara appears to be the latest.

(Dark Souls does not fall into this category because it would require too much time for me. Heck, I never got around to beating the final boss in The Surge and doubtfully ever will)

Dandara is weird as fuck. It's neat tho, I stopped at the
revolving room
boss, no idea how long into the game that is.

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
For those who have been waiting, you might want to check your AMD Rewards account for your Devil May Cry V key. I happened to look about 15 minutes ago and it was available to add to my Steam library.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
Dandara is weird as fuck. It's neat tho, I stopped at the
revolving room
boss, no idea how long into the game that is.

Assuming it's what you're talking about,
it was a big round room with a boss in the center
I beat that one tonight and have opened up a lot of the next area. After the first boss it jumped way up in difficulty and keeps getting harder.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
Making more money than ever doesn't mean they shouldn't be making even more money, and I think their future revenue is going to suffer for a mixture of the reasons I gave.

I don't disagree, but a lot of businesses aren't that great at looking at the long term! What is later? We're talking about now now!

I can tell you now that if I had a game on Steam, this Rape Day debacle would make me seriously look at EGS, and I hope everyone knows how much I think EGS sucks, and think Epic themselves are anticompetitive. I wonder how many are like me?

See the fun thing is you can look at EGS all you want! They won't let you or 99.9% of other people on it if you're developer. If you're a customer you can browse all of their 20 games! Less than a hundredth of plenty of people's backlogs here.

but of course the correct answer is:
only good take is END CAPITALISM

JD3Nine

The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
Texas, United States
Sure you do. They are protecting their investment. They need to follow company security protocols and they don't necessarily get to set them. I think the main thing is at least getting file delivery consistent since the Win store way just wasn't working for everyone. Hopefully the rumored CDN change helps there.

343i is aware of the community's asks so it will up to them to figure out how to build pathways for that while aligning to company protocols.

That's the difference with Xbox they are part of a bigger strategy and that strategy is not always focused on them but it doesn't mean they can opt out completely. Phil has lasted there as long as he has because he understands how to navigate that corporate culture. It's slow , painful, and you better not come off as a threat when in others territory.

Now me , I struggle with having that level of patience but I understand it's the only way to shift an organization as large and established as MS into new areas.

And even if you do that right, another company shift can erase all your work just like that.
What you say makes perfect sense. I guess it's MS's overall strategy that I have a problem with. Every other company that releases PC games manages to do so without locking everything down. I would just prefer it if they embraced the openness of PC gaming.

I'm gonna assume that they want people to actually use the store beyond buying Halo or subbing to Game Pass for a month or two. If that is the case, something has to change.

Also, I should say this is coming from a strictly PC player. If you have an Xbox, you might feel differently.

Last edited:

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
FUUUUUUUUUUCCCKKKKK

I just found out that Green Man Gaming switched to Canadian Dollars (and Australian) instead of just supporting USD...

There goes the last site with somewhat good deals.... Man I miss the good old days...

Deleted member 3856

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FUUUUUUUUUUCCCKKKKK

I just found out that Green Man Gaming switched to Canadian Dollars (and Australian) instead of just supporting USD...

There goes the last site with somewhat good deals.... Man I miss the good old days...

Aww fuck, really?

Just looked and the CAD price on DMC5 Deluxe is like a few bucks lower than what I paid a few days ago. After conversion it came to like 71$ CAD and now it's 68. Sekiro also seems to end up costing roughly the same as before. So, I guess the deals might still be good?

Status
Not open for further replies.