• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan L

Tried to PM someone for a tag
Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan
Late to the party with this (Australia, time zones, y'know)...

...but did we really just have a games journalist ('senior reporter', even) use a Google search algorithm result (skewed heavily based on recent hits, 'buzz', and number of searches, etc) to throw a 'Jesus Christ, Steam' in Valve's direction?
This seals the deal for me - PC Gamer are on the take from Epic. Their recent behaviour has a real stink to it.

Jesus Christ, PC Gamer. Shame, shame, shame.
I almost never buy into these kind of things but man does the way these PC gamer guys been harping on Steam seem suspect

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
I get it, actually. No game with rape in its title should get an immediate green light. This isn't a hard rule. It's frankly insane that Valve doesn't already operate on such a basis. I don't give a fuck how expensive it is to get that much manual oversight into the system. You're Valve, you own the biggest digital PC Gaming platform of all time, and rightfully take a 30% cut, you can afford it. The more I think about it, the weirder Valve's position on this seems. At the end of the day, their desire to open the flood gates, but also be aggresively open to everything, is a terrible mix. And I'm not talking about the quality of games here, not even about any actual tests of the game itself. Just stuff that any human can check in 5 minutes of looking at the Store page.
"Oh, Rape Day, hmm, yeah, that's no from me dawg. *click reject* "

This isn't about how hard it is to detect it, about complex moral quandaries. It's about a game that might as well be called "Rape Simulator 2019" and if Valve wasn't so dumb about this stuff, those headlines would never have been made, which wouldn't have lead to Steam bringing up such terrible search results on Google.

Oct 27, 2017

...but did we really just have a games journalist ('senior reporter', even) use a Google search algorithm result (skewed heavily based on recent hits, 'buzz', and number of searches, etc) to throw a 'Jesus Christ, Steam' in Valve's direction?
This seals the deal for me - PC Gamer are on the take from Epic. Their recent behaviour has a real stink to it.

PC Gamer has been shit for quite a while now, and its community is YIKES.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
I'm fairly sure that didn't happen? Source on those?

Sorry. Still online. And ofc they werent called "Kill Muslims". It was always something with "Isis" or "Terrorists".

One of them is still on, together with blackface:

ss_246703246d7c7ea7b019f8867f723ff0dbb73fae.600x338.jpg

Then there was ISIS Simulator:

https://steamdb.info/app/705600/

oipic

Oct 25, 2017
I get it, actually. No game with rape in its title should get an immediate green light. This isn't a hard rule. It's frankly insane that Valve doesn't already operate on such a basis. I don't give a fuck how expensive it is to get that much manual oversight into the system. You're Valve, you own the biggest digital PC Gaming platform of all time, and rightfully take a 30% cut, you can afford it.

This isn't about how hard it is to detect it, about complex moral quandaries. It's about a game that might as well be called "Rape Simulator 2019" and if Valve wasn't so dumb about this stuff, those headlines would never have been made, which wouldn't have lead to Steam bringing up such terrible search results on Google.

Absolutely, I think we'd all agree this title shouldn't have been able to get as far as receiving a store page, but that a PC Gamer journo would use search results, which are heavily influenced by 'coverage' of the issue itself by sites including their own, to 'make a point', is just cheaply opportunistic, and reeks of an agenda of sorts.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
That kind of thing is rife in all areas of gaming, not exclusive to PC at all.
Yeap, people seem to forget the whole shit storm with BF5, or with Ellie from TLoU. Sadly, gaming being targeted to white, hetero males for a long time has not helped cultivate a good audience now that (thankfully) game companies were forced due to market changes to target a more broad spectra of players.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
por que no los dos?

you can have more clear rules while giving valve some space for editorial allowing/disallowing games. instead of "no rape games allowed", you can use "no games that primarily fetishize or promote sexual violence". and valve can have a final say if a game slips past those rules or whatever

Isn't that what is already happening? You can have strict rules and still be able to judge edgy material on a case-by-case basis. I don't see the benefit of having vague rules. Valve will have to write a blog post whenever a game is featured on PCGamer.
That is free advertisement.

If you have strict rules and still allow yourself a leeway to judge content on an individual level, then you don't actually have strict rules but just suggestions and the end result is the same as if you were only employing vague rules to begin with.

And to take your example Zkylon, formulations like that will mean people try and work around them in any way they can, "all character totes consented to this and are just acting, we don't endorse sexual violence blabla". Like how many AAA games and movies are already doing with a message at the beginning that reads "All similarities to people and organizations are purely coincidental", we all know it's bullshit, but this makes the influences "technically legal" in case they get sued by one of those people and organizations.

To use your words Wok, i don't see the point in having strict rules; when it will force them to still add exceptions and asterisks onto the rule to catch people trying to bypass them, just leave it vague at "trolling" and "harmful content".

The only thing i can see coming from having strict and specific rules is people saying "This is technically legal", like 1000 year old dragons.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium

It's kind of disgusting how pc gamer is taking every opportunity to shit on Steam - and on people complaining about Epic's moneyhats. Several sponsored articles about EGS exclusives may have something to do with this.

Joe Spangle

Nov 1, 2017

So I've got like 6 or 7 hours into Objects and can confirm that it's the real deal.

Now granted the game is targeted at a very niche audience. And the entire production screams indie team / indie budget.

But what is there is glorious.

Surprising level of depth wrapped it some auxiliary systems that you just wouldn't expect such as witty writing, great soundtrack, etc.

It's a bit rough around the edges, but if you've ever dreamed of pushing lots of buttons in an almost submarine-esque navigational environment, this game is for you.

Damn I love the sense of "discovering" a charming title that has little to no coverage or traction with audiences. It's like being in on an awesome secret or something.

Yeah i was getting sort of silent hunter type feelings playing it. Its a good unique game.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
It's kind of disgusting how pc gamer is taking every opportunity to shit on Steam - and on people complaining about Epic's moneyhats. Several sponsored articles about EGS exclusives may have something to do with this.
Again, I dont think the reason is EGS money, it is just that those articles get clicks. In the current media environment, articles need to get clicks to be profitable so you end up searching for the article that sells. System wars sell and PC "finally" having some competition just opens the case. Epic being better at talking just makes it a one sided argument because Steam just stays quiet (and when they make a small comment about the anti competitive practices they get lambasted).

It was similar to how we got a long season where Jim Sterling was making videos about Steam trash (and now not so much), those videos got a ton of coverage and where easy to make, so why not keep making them until you just dried the well.

zkylon

Oct 25, 2017
I fundamentally disagree with it being the same

you have leeway with the explicit purpose of dealing with bad actors trying to work around the rules and you make the rules updatable so they can be improved to better serve the ideals they were written upon

enforcing rules is always an involved matter, you can't expect to write them and forget, but you also need some sort of guide or else there's nothing stopping from this happening

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Ethereal looks incredible. Only just noticed that. And it's released tomorrow. Awesome!

Dan L

Tried to PM someone for a tag
Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan
I don't see it being any greater on PC. Perhaps the added "PC master race" snobbery amplifies the general toxicity or something.
Yeah I think the elitism present in PC gaming adds to it, But to be honest it could be that it's the portion of the gaming market I pay the most attention to and thus what I see the most. But yeah long before GG gaming has been very toxic and it makes me so sad that something I care about so much can be that fucked up. I am glad that gaming in general is moving to a better place for inclusivity and understanding. Though there is still a lot of work to be done.

JD3Nine

The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
Texas, United States
Valve is big enough to solve most of these problems. They've been pioneers on a lot of things, it's just a shame they don't feel the need to even try on this kind of social / toxicity stuff. Just opening the floodgates while washing your hands of the consequences is a total cop out.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
The "PC gamer master race" shit always rubbed me the wrong way. Like, how powerful of a PC do you need to join the "Master Race"?
It started as a jab to people that took the "PC is always the best one" too seriously and then they actually liked it and used it. It is like saying gamer, you are supposed to note the sarcasm but people take it seriously.

(To join the Master Race , your pc needs to run Crysis in Full HD)

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Ya'll realise the pcmasterrace subreddit is satire, right?

as for pcgamer, their magazine is still worth the read at least

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
I fundamentally disagree with it being the same

you have leeway with the explicit purpose of dealing with bad actors trying to work around the rules and you make the rules updatable so they can be improved to better serve the ideals they were written upon

enforcing rules is always an involved matter, you can't expect to write them and forget, but you also need some sort of guide or else there's nothing stopping from this happening

Ultimately, it's valves own store, so they don't technically need rules anyways and can just do whatever they want and ban any game for any reason.
I think we're both agreeing in principle, i just believe there is no point in having set rules that you need to constantly amend and make exceptions to when you can just be vague to begin with.

" The new fee structure excludes all games and any purchases on Xbox consoles. "

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I think the elitism present in PC gaming adds to it, But to be honest it could be that it's the portion of the gaming market I pay the most attention to and thus what I see the most. But yeah long before GG gaming has been very toxic and it makes me so sad that something I care about so much can be that fucked up. I am glad that gaming in general is moving to a better place for inclusivity and understanding. Though there is still a lot of work to be done.
The PC Master Race stuff is mostly satire, a lot of PC gamers I know are a bunch of fucking cheapskates lol

The new fee structure is applicable to app purchases made on all Windows 10 PCs, Windows Mixed Reality, Windows 10 Mobile and Surface Hub devices. The new fee structure excludes all games and any purchases on Xbox consoles.

I read the link and somehow missed that, shit.

OniluapL

Oct 25, 2017
God, Valve's response to the whole thing fucking sucked. Was it so hard to just condemn a game about rape instead of dancing around it with a weak statement about risks?

In another matter, the idea behind pc master race was always funny to me because one of the appeals of playing in pc is the exact opposite - even with weak hardware I can force a game to run no matter the cost if I try hard enough (obviously, exceptions apply)

Deleted member 32374

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
It started as a jab to people that took the "PC is always the best one" too seriously and then they actually liked it and used it. It is like saying gamer, you are supposed to note the sarcasm but people take it seriously.

(To join the Master Race , your pc needs to run Crysis in Full HD)

I remember how it started, it was amusing at first but as usual, gaming communities got a hold of it and it became nasty real fast.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
That MS Store thing is another proof That 12% is not sustainable. For the love of God they are one of the biggest server companies in the world and yet they refuse to lower cut for games.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
The PC Master Race stuff is mostly satire, a lot of PC gamers I know are a bunch of fucking cheapskates lol
I read the link and somehow missed that, shit.
No problem, I only read it slowly cause I have heard weeks ago that it was changed/going to be changed EXCEPT for non-games. Microsoft isnt also going to decrease the cut in gaming in PC while trying to push for crossbuy to XBOX.

I remember how it started, it was amusing at first but as usual, gaming communities got a hold of it and it became nasty real fast.

And about the Master Race stuff, yeah. I did enjoy joking about it, but kinda like how I love making jokes about "Spanish Reconquista" there always comes a jerk to fuck it up and made me not use it.

That MS Store thing is another proof That 12% is not sustainable. For the love of God they are one of the biggest server companies in the world and yet they refuse to lower cut for games.
The fact they take 15% when browsing the store is more telling (and that is with small apps). The 5% cut when using the "winget" is pretty similar to HB cut.

Heck, the whole stuff IS HUMBLES CUT (once you take 10% off from charities)

chadskin

Oct 27, 2017
Wonder if The Occupation will ever get fixed as it sounds like it has a multitude of issues. Shame. :/

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia

I agree that 12% isn't sustainable long-term, but I don't think this news suggests 30% is necessary. Rather, I suspect the cut for games remaining as-is has everything to do with Microsoft not wanting to lower its cut on the Xbox side of things, where, much like Google with the Play Store, it has no real reason to cater to devs and reduce its cut, as having a digital presence on Xbox = being on the MS Store.

I believe there's some wiggle room to give devs more than 70% while still ensuring running costs, payment processing fees, etc. are covered, but that magic number sure isn't Epic's 88%, let alone Discord's knee-jerk 90%. It's probably whatever CD Projekt has landed on.

Last edited:

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017

Oh yeah, my respect for PC Gamer has fell off a damn cliff over past couple of weeks

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Man, these CL results:
Real Madrid... AL CARRER
PSG... AU REVOIR
Juve... CR FIASCO (hopefully)

They got me all:

Hatemogolo

Feb 11, 2018
Wasn't sure where else to ask, but I was looking to get back into PC gaming and was going to start with getting a new monitor. Is the PG279Q a good one to go with? Or would there be something in a similar price range (~$700) that is a better option?

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Emmanuel Macron, Napoleon Bonaparte, Joan of Arc, Jacques Chirac, Charles De Gaulle, Edith Piaf, Pepe Le Pew, your boys took one hell of a beating!

fspm

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
God, Valve's response to the whole thing fucking sucked. Was it so hard to just condemn a game about rape instead of dancing around it with a weak statement about risks?
Yes it was. When Manhunts etc are there no problem. Or y'all would like German version of steam in your living room?

Status
Not open for further replies.