• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 32374

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Guys if you argue against what the EGS is doing, you are just a Steam Worshiper.

So we should get getting on it and light those sacrifices to Gaben, cause apparently that is what we do.

To the Great Gaben we shall sacrifice our consumer souls and embrace the hegemony of steam. All hail steam, may it forever dominate our desktops.

JD3Nine

The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
Texas, United States
The hype is real for me. Been a long time since I've been looking forward to a game as much as DMC V. Also, Sekiro at the end of the month. Insane that these two are releasing so close together. Too bad Bayo 3 isn't coming early April. We could have had the hat trick.

yuraya

Oct 25, 2017
Looked into that Sekiro preview thread and noped right now. Some of those impressions sound and look so fucking good.

The really great thing about Sekiro releasing this time is that everyone around the world is getting the new From game day 1. Unlike DS3 which released 2 weeks early in Japan on consoles. Same with Bloodborne. And PC users had to wait like 7 weeks for DS2 as it was a late port. DS1 also very late pc port.

I know people hate activision and I don't know if its to their credit that its different this time but partnering with them might have wound up being a good thing. Almost guaranteed if Bamco was publishing a bunch of people would probably have to wait weeks and have a lot of stuff spoiled by now. This time on the 22nd is gonna be so special for everyone as the community explores everything at the same time. Just 2 more weeks now.

Also congrats to Capcom on another hit. They've been absolutely killing it for 3 straight years now. Especially the early year releases. Basically ever since the bad SFV launch they've been on fire. I wonder what they'll even do for their annual January release next year. Can't be another mainline Resident Evil, MH or DMC. And its too soon for Dragons Dogma 2. Maybe they got a new Revelations entry. Gonna be interesting to see what bomb they drop at E3.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
Guys if you argue against what the EGS is doing, you are just a Steam Worshiper.

So we should get getting on it and light those sacrifices to Gaben, cause apparently that is what we do.

RZRs0Bx.png

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
MCC got an update on Xbox today, at least according to my little brother. So I would keep the hype low for PC news on that upcoming inside Xbox thingy... They could just be going over that update.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017

So I've got like 6 or 7 hours into Objects and can confirm that it's the real deal.

Now granted the game is targeted at a very niche audience. And the entire production screams indie team / indie budget.

But what is there is glorious.

Surprising level of depth wrapped it some auxiliary systems that you just wouldn't expect such as witty writing, great soundtrack, etc.

It's a bit rough around the edges, but if you've ever dreamed of pushing lots of buttons in an almost submarine-esque navigational environment, this game is for you.

Damn I love the sense of "discovering" a charming title that has little to no coverage or traction with audiences. It's like being in on an awesome secret or something.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
MCC got an update on Xbox today, at least according to my little brother. So I would keep the hype low for PC news on that upcoming inside Xbox thingy... They could just be going over that update.
I dunno. It seemed like they had a schedule for when they'd be dropping news that got disrupted by the leaks. They've got something for us next tuesday, we'll see then.

zkylon

Oct 25, 2017
i think ppl underestimate the work of validating game submissions to steam (doesn't mean valve couldn't afford it), but it's mostly a matter of valve not wanting to take responsibility of what gets on steam. they don't want to create a ruleset and be specific of what's allowed in and what's not cos that would make them accountable and they most definitely don't want any of that

i'm sure valve's algorithms are super impressive, i can't imagine their algorithms wouldn't be able to detect the word "rape" in the title of the game, so it's not wild to assume the algorithms are set up deliberately to not looking for that. my guess is that they're looking for copyrighted material, or repeats of games already uploaded, the kinds of things that would get valve in trouble like someone uploading a pirated copy of assassins creed, idk.

the filtering of the vile and hateful games is outsourced to the community then, leaving it to us to decide what's too offensive to belong on the store. kind of like reverse greenlight i guess. rape sim 2019 will likely get removed but it seems as not enough of the community is too offended by those hentai puzzles so they'll stay. i could see bigger publishers also pushing valve to remove those kinds of games cos it just looks bad to be sitting next to a game called rape sim 2019, but considering the 8chan thing thq nordic just pulled, who the fuck knows lol

hiring a validation team would probably not be cheap, but i think it would mostly be difficult for valve cos it would require them to have a real ruleset rather than "straight up trolling" and that costs them money. cos for all the time rape sim 2019 will be offered in the store before being taken down valve will profit of it just fine. and that can't be fixed with algorithms either, it's valve that needs fixing in that respect (or maybe they'll just get sued for selling yet another game about killing queers, lord zeus knows they deserve it)

Knurek

Oct 26, 2017
unknown.png

Not getting the store page, instead I get two articles about the game.
I guess Google's algo just got gamed.
Valve can't be happy about it though.

Oct 25, 2017
The idea that Sekiro is even harder than Souls is a slight turn off tbh =s
Yeeeeaaaaahhhh....kinda
I don't mind hard games, I really like the Souls games but...
I just hope the game is hard but fair and not just "hard to be hard"

I'm admittedly very surprised Valve hasn't just manually removed that game by now
I'm surprised we don't see that stuff more often to be honest. Given how much publicity you get for making such a dumb thing you'd think we'd see a "Pedophile Nazi Simulator" on Steam every other week.

Deleted member 1759

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Europe
unknown.png

Not getting the store page, instead I get two articles about the game.
I guess Google's algo just got gamed.
Valve can't be happy about it though.
Same
2019-03-0620.36.01wwwl5j1d.png

But the game isn't available in Germany anyway.
What? I was kinda hoping it would be easier. Wasn't that interested in the game in the first place but that's even more of a turn off.

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
i think ppl underestimate the work of validating game submissions to steam (doesn't mean valve couldn't afford it), but it's mostly a matter of valve not wanting to take responsibility of what gets on steam. they don't want to create a ruleset and be specific of what's allowed in and what's not cos that would make them accountable and they most definitely don't want any of that

i'm sure valve's algorithms are super impressive, i can't imagine their algorithms wouldn't be able to detect the word "rape" in the title of the game, so it's not wild to assume the algorithms are set up deliberately to not looking for that. my guess is that they're looking for copyrighted material, or repeats of games already uploaded, the kinds of things that would get valve in trouble like someone uploading a pirated copy of assassins creed, idk.

the filtering of the vile and hateful games is outsourced to the community then, leaving it to us to decide what's too offensive to belong on the store. kind of like reverse greenlight i guess. rape sim 2019 will likely get removed but it seems as not enough of the community is too offended by those hentai puzzles so they'll stay. i could see bigger publishers also pushing valve to remove those kinds of games cos it just looks bad to be sitting next to a game called rape sim 2019, but considering the 8chan thing thq nordic just pulled, who the fuck knows lol

hiring a validation team would probably not be cheap, but i think it would mostly be difficult for valve cos it would require them to have a real ruleset rather than "straight up trolling" and that costs them money. cos for all the time rape sim 2019 will be offered in the store before being taken down valve will profit of it just fine. and that can't be fixed with algorithms either, it's valve that needs fixing in that respect (or maybe they'll just get sued for selling yet another game about killing queers, lord zeus knows they deserve it)

Valve set rules. This place nearly shit itself silly when they did.

The problem is they aren't being consistent in enforcing them or even attempting to clarify.

"Illegal" and "Trolling." That was their stance.
https://steamcommunity.com/games/593110/announcements/detail/1666776116200553082

Doesn't seem to be how it actually works out in the end however. Plenty of games banned that break neither rule, plenty of other games that break one or even both and yet have a place on the store.

Deleted member 32374

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
expecting Valve to act on timely manner...

*Joke about ValveTime*

I'm sure they're having discussions about this.

Does anyone know if they have set guidelines or rules for store content? Its always seemed nebulous and unfocused but then again I haven't really looked into it. I know they lifted the ban on "adult" content but I'm not aware of rules beyond "trolling". (This game is trolling).

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
I'm admittedly very surprised Valve hasn't just manually removed that game by now

I'm not sure it's actually going to be pulled. Last September, Valve quietly removed "Offensive" and "Hate Speech" from the list of reasons for reporting a game. Before:

reportoptions1xxezz.jpg

After:
reportoptions29zcei.jpg

Edit: Speak of the devil. ;) Glad to see there's still some sort of baseline of decency.

zkylon

Oct 25, 2017
Valve set rules. This place nearly shit itself silly when they did.

The problem is they aren't being consistent in enforcing them or even attempting to clarify.

"Illegal" and "Trolling." That was their stance.
https://steamcommunity.com/games/593110/announcements/detail/1666776116200553082

Doesn't seem to be how it actually works out in the end however. Plenty of games banned that break neither rule, plenty of other games that break one or even both.
the problem with "illegal" or "trolling" is that those are soft subjective rules that an algorithm would be bad at solving if the people feeding the algorithm don't have a grasp on what they meant in the first place (and valve doesn't). i don't know if the people at valve are incompetent or negligent but by being vague about their rules it just creates these issues and honestly i don't think a human can solve that either, cos what the fuck does straight up trolling even mean...

Thekeats

Nov 1, 2017
how comprehensive is this Horus Heresy bundle? Ive been wanting to read those books for years

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/horus-heresy-2019-warhammer-book-bundle?partner=igb

Covers about the first 8 to 10 books. There are about 54 books in the series. So far. They are about to start the Siege of Terra which is the end game for the Heresy.

But not all are essential reading. Some are absolute tosh. There are a couple of reading guides that recomend reading order based on which legions you like, or whether you prefer the traitor legions or the loyalists.

While i enjoy the heresy books prefer the 40K books, especially Gaunts Ghosts and Ciaphas Cain (i have a Imperial Guard army).

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
the problem with "illegal" or "trolling" is that those are soft subjective rules that an algorithm would be bad at solving if the people feeding the algorithm don't have a grasp on what they meant in the first place (and valve doesn't). i don't know if the people at valve are incompetent or negligent but by being vague about their rules it just creates these issues and honestly i don't think a human can solve that either, cos what the fuck does straight up trolling even mean...
Trolling is just a general box that allows Steam to kick out games freely to be honest. Same as "game shaped objects".

zkylon

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure it's actually going to be pulled. Last September, Valve quietly removed "Offensive" and "Hate Speech" from the list of reasons for reporting a game. Before:

reportoptions1xxezz.jpg

After:
reportoptions29zcei.jpg

Edit: Speak of the devil. ;) Glad to see there's still some baseline for decency.
yeah i really dislike that change, it just makes it really hard to report these kinds of games

Trolling is just a general box that allows Steam to kick out games freely to be honest. Same as "game shaped objects".
it is, and that's why it's a shitty ruleset, it gives valve all the authority with none of the responsibility

Deleted member 32374

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I say the world valve time and it speeds valve up. Amazing.

Valve Time Half Life 3. Valve Time Left 4 Dead 3. Valve Time New Steam UI.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I wish Queenie would gift me stuff again ;P

God, she gifted me so many Marvel Heroes lootboxes I had to beg her to stop.

Seriously, I got so many fortune cards from her. I ended up with King Thor and a bunch of other goodies. That game got so boring at the end, but I really miss it from time to time.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland

Thing is, Valve can't set hard rules. The moment they do make explicit rules, people will work around them, that's why they need to be able to have vague definitions like "trolling".

You already had that happening in steam greenlight where thousands of developers where exploiting the system in many different ways, despite the fact that that one didn't even had all that many transparent rules to begin with.

Furthermore, even a rule seemingly as obvious as "NO RAPE GAMES ALLOWED" can pose problematic because the definition of what consitutes a "rape game" can differ in interpretation. Would Hotline Miami 2 be considered a rape game? Little Red Lie? Games that sensibly deal with the topic of sexual assault and trauma?

I'm not arguing that games like Rape day should be sold on steam, because that's digusting, tasteless garbage, but the point is, that making very strict rules about what is and isn't okay does not work because then you will have actors flying under the radar you can't ban because what they're doing isn't strictly against the rules and games being hit by the rules that don't deserve it.

Not having a set of strict rules isn't just about accountability, but about the ability to judge things on a case-by-case basis.

Wok

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
France
you will have actors flying under the radar you can't ban because what they're doing isn't strictly against the rules and games being hit by the rules that don't deserve it.

Isn't that what is already happening?

Not having a set of strict rules isn't just about accountability, but about the ability to judge things on a case-by-case basis.

You can have strict rules and still be able to judge edgy material on a case-by-case basis.

I don't see the benefit of having vague rules. Valve will have to write a blog post whenever a game is featured on PCGamer.

After significant fact-finding and discussion, we think '[TASTELESS GAME WITH ILLEGAL MATERIAL FEATURED ALL OVER THE MEDIA]' poses unknown costs and risks and therefore won't be on Steam.

That is free advertisement.

Last edited:

Fanta

May 27, 2018
I think the problem with Steam Direct is that it wasn't just a thing that popped out of nowhere, it was meant to be a replacement to greenlight without the struggles of being on there caused. I remember back when Steam Direct first got announced it was being put together with feedback from specifically indie devs. I remember the limit then to getting through Steam Direct in the original proposal was much higher than it is now but was lowered after many of those indie devs complained the price was too high and would drive people away which is why it was lowered to just a $100 fee.

These days it feels like they should've just stuck with their gut and kept the price originally high as it was meant to be, as to keep away low effort troll games.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018

It's difficult to tell without having played it of course, but considering the level of agility and tools you have at your disposal compared to Souls, I think it seems to balance out fairly well. I think the biggest reason people say it's harder is because they have to learn and adapt to a new kind of playstyle, but we'll have to wait and see. :p

Thing is, Valve can't set hard rules. The moment they do make explicit rules, people will work around them, that's why they need to be able to have vague definitions like "trolling".

You already had that happening in steam greenlight where thousands of developers where exploiting the system in many different ways, despite the fact that that one didn't even had all that many transparent rules to begin with.

Furthermore, even a rule seemingly as obvious as "NO RAPE GAMES ALLOWED" can pose problematic because the definition of what consitutes a "rape game" can differ in interpretation. Would Hotline Miami 2 be considered a rape game? Little Red Lie? Games that sensibly deal with the topic of sexual assault and trauma?

I'm not arguing that games like Rape day should be sold on steam, because that's digusting, tasteless garbage, but the point is, that making very strict rules about what is and isn't okay does not work because then you will have actors flying under the radar you can't ban because what they're doing isn't strictly against the rules and games being hit by the rules that don't deserve it.

I disagree but I think there's a wide range of different "hard rules" you can apply. I think most people can agree on having a hard rule against games with rape as a core mechanic, and that's fairly easy to spot when that's the case. That's very, very distinguishable from something like Hotline Miami 2.

Oct 27, 2017

Exactly this. If you have a 'No rape games please' rule, people will start churning out 'not technically rape' games.

yuraya

Oct 25, 2017
I'll be honest I completely forgot H1Z1 was a thing.

It was at one point like the 3rd most popular game on steam. Doing like 130k concurrent a couple of years ago. And then in a matter of months PUBG blew up basically killing it in its path. The numbers went from like 150k to 10k so fast it was really sad.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China

Some of those games are pretty explicit though. Maomaos Delivery thing, Rape Day. A game called "Kill all jews" etc.

After Steam Direct quite a few "Kill Muslim" games by russian devs were even sold before Valve removed them.

zkylon

Oct 25, 2017

por que no los dos?

you can have more clear rules while giving valve some space for editorial allowing/disallowing games. instead of "no rape games allowed", you can use "no games that primarily fetishize or promote sexual violence". and valve can have a final say if a game slips past those rules or whatever

oipic

Oct 25, 2017
Late to the party with this (Australia, time zones, y'know)...

...but did we really just have a games journalist ('senior reporter', even) use a Google search algorithm result (skewed heavily based on recent hits, 'buzz', and number of searches, etc) to throw a 'Jesus Christ, Steam' in Valve's direction?
This seals the deal for me - PC Gamer are on the take from Epic. Their recent behaviour has a real stink to it.

Jesus Christ, PC Gamer. Shame, shame, shame.

Status
Not open for further replies.