• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
unknown.png

I miss late 90's, early 00's Blizzard.

Jadax

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I mean I can't believe this shit actually went ahead and is getting a release. MS should just shut it down and take the loss.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Did Blizzard seriously not forecast how Immortal was going to get ripped to shreds by PC gamers, who have other F2P ARPGs against which they can directly compare the monetization scheme?

Surely someone is paid to gauge consumer reaction over there, and saw this coming, miles ahead of launch.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I got 2 months of free Gamepass (PC) a few days ago. Just beat Eiyuden Chronicle: Rising (a massive disappointment) and Citizen Sleeper (interesting game, but I'm glad it was short, so to speak). I'm eyeing those games to play next, and could use some recommendations among the following list:

- Record of Lodoss War: Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth. Anyone played that? I think djinn did and didn't like it?

- Fae Tactics. Tthis one seems long, but I've had my eyes on it for a while... I might actually just buy it on Steam eventually though!

- Halo... one of them anyway. SP campaign only. I only ever played some Halo demo years ago, I found it really underwhelming, but now's my chance to actually try those games. I don't care that much about story, but hopefully I'd like to start with one that won't leave me constantly confused or feeling like I'm missing out. I was recommended Infinite or Reach to start with, what do you all think?

- The Outer Worlds. I hear it's not that good but I've had my eyes on it for a while...

- Tunic. I tried the demo and found it really boring though, so it's kind of low on my list. I was told it's comparable to Death's Door, which I dropped because I was bored. 🤷‍♀️

- The Ascent. I hear not-so-good things, but it does look kinda cool and very pretty. Is it decent in single player?

- Trek to Yomi. Looks interesting but the bad reviews on Steam have been putting me off. Not a big priority unless it comes with a glowing recommendation.

Last edited:

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
I got 2 months of free Gamepass (PC) a few days ago. Just beat Eiyuden Chronicle: Rising (a massive disappointment) and Citizen Sleeper (interesting game, but I'm glad it was short, so to speak). I'm eyeing those games to play next, and could use some recommendations!

- Record of Lodoss War: Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth. Anyone played that? I think djinn did and didn't like it?

- Fae Tactics. Tthis one seems long, but I've had my eyes on it for a while... I might actually just buy it on Steam eventually though!

- Halo... one of them anyway. SP campaign only. I only ever played some Halo demo years ago, I found it really underwhelming, but now's my chance to actually try those games. I don't care that much about story, but hopefully I'd like to start with one that won't leave me constantly confused or feeling like I'm missing out. I was recommended Infinite or Reach to start with, what do you all think?

- The Outer Worlds. I hear it's not that good but I've had my eyes on it for a while...

- Tunic. I tried the demo and found it really boring though, so it's kind of low on my list. I was told it's comparable to Death's Door, which I dropped because I was bored. 🤷‍♀️

- The Ascent. I hear not-so-good things, but it does look kinda cool and very pretty. Is it decent in single player?

- Trek to Yomi. Looks interesting but the bad reviews on Steam have been putting me off. Not a big priority unless it comes with a glowing recommendation.

Guardians of the Galaxy? I had a lot of fun but the combat is kinda meh.

D O T

Jan 1, 2021
I got 2 months of free Gamepass (PC) a few days ago. Just beat Eiyuden Chronicle: Rising (a massive disappointment) and Citizen Sleeper (interesting game, but I'm glad it was short, so to speak). I'm eyeing those games to play next, and could use some recommendations!

Umurangi Generation, Sable, Artful Escape, Spiritfarer, Lake, Lis True Colors, Paradise Killer, Lost in random, Greedfall (playing it now after finishing Risen 3), Yakuza 7 maybe

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
Guardians of the Galaxy? I had a lot of fun but the combat is kinda meh.
Umurangi Generation, Sable, Artful Escape, Spiritfarer, Lake, Lis True Colors, Paradise Killer, Lost in random, Greedfall (playing it now after finishing Risen 3), Yakuza 7 maybe
I uh, perhaps didn't make this clear enough but I was looking for a recommendations among the list of games I posted...

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I got 2 months of free Gamepass (PC) a few days ago. Just beat Eiyuden Chronicle: Rising (a massive disappointment) and Citizen Sleeper (interesting game, but I'm glad it was short, so to speak). I'm eyeing those games to play next, and could use some recommendations among the following list:

I would play Halo: CE if you don't mind older games (the remaster is good), never played Reach so can't talk about it

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
This Era bubble take that Outer Worlds isnt good triggers me. Game is a solid 8/10 or 4/5 or whatever you want to call it. Not everything has to be GOTY >_>

Mugen

Oct 28, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
I'm sure, hah. I already played Hollow Knight and Bloodstained. Are there better examples on Gamepass? I'm trying to make the most of out of 2 free months because I will not re-resub.
I have never used Gamepass but did a quick search and if you have the Ori-games available thay might be considered better, I only played the first one. Same with Dead Cells, but it is also on my backlog and possibly massively longer than Record of Lodoss.

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
I have never used Gamepass but did a quick search and if you have the Ori-games available thay might be considered better, I only played the first one. Same with Dead Cells, but it is also on my backlog and possibly massively longer than Record of Lodoss.
Played both Ori games on Steam already. No interest in Dead Cells since it's rogue-lite. Thanks anyway.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty upsetting how Immortal turned out, considering it's a solid diablo game that's absolutely shit on by corporate

Anyway, I've put in a combined 15 hours into vampire surviors these last couple days and I thought I had stopped at 6

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I love Obsidian, even their more recent ouput like Deadfire and Tyranny, but I found The Outer Worlds to be a serious disappointment compared to their other output. The combat is some modified version of Fallout New Vegas and neither the writing or story are anything to write home about.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017

I didn't think much of it either, its really subpar when you've played other metroidvanias. Still, gorgeous sprites and animation and its quite short if you feel like checking things off your backlog.

elPolloDiablo

Apr 9, 2021
the Netherlands
I love Obsidian, even their more recent ouput like Deadfire and Tyranny, but I found The Outer Worlds to be a serious disappointment compared to their other output. The combat is some modified version of Fallout New Vegas and neither the writing or story are anything to write home about.
I agree with this, I had some fun with it but the humor was a bit too much at times, there are better games to play.

Raji: An Ancient Epic has a neat discount on GOG right now. By chance I learned, there is a demo on Steam containing the first chapter. So I grabbed the prologue to finalize my decision to pull the trigger - and I'm soooo going to buy it!

It's quickest described as Prince of Persia meets Beyond Good and Evil. With Raji we fight and climb our way to rescue the little brother kidnapped by demons. Everything in Indian flair and lore.
The game looks super beautiful. Waterfalls and such everywhere, wonderful views of the landscape, fire, glowing effects, all sorts of details. Heck, I already lost my shit when I opened the menu, that has beautiful fitting ornaments in it!
Raji's movement looks incredible as well. Context sensitive she changes her rolling/jumping, her braid flies around, her dress moves with her, I was quickly impressed.
The combat gives you several combos to work with and you can use the enviroment too (e.g. jump away from a pole or wall for attacks). But it's not too complicated and works also well for someone like me, who tends to be a bit of a button masher. :> While the climbing is the PoP part, the combat is more BGaE for me.
It's only a bit weird that you can only jump at ledges. On even ground she only rolls.

My only gripe so far is, that you can't remap the controls for the gamepad, and as every game, they put specials on RT/LT instead of RB/LB. I'm beginning to think, I'm the only person out there who prefers the buttons over the triggers. :>
There is also no controling the camera, what hasn't been a problem so far, but I still felt the urge to move it every now and then. It is also zoomed out quite a lot, making Raji pretty small. Being a little closer wouldn't hurt imo. (This could be a sole me problem though, with my eyes having trouble to focus on one tiny spot.)

Buttom line: Brb, need to buy Raji!

rude

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure, hah. I already played Hollow Knight and Bloodstained. Are there better examples on Gamepass? I'm trying to make the most of out of 2 free months because I will not re-resub.
Deedlit is 100% worth playing IMO. It's not doing anything new, but it's a delightful game. Its biggest problem is that it didn't really "need" to be a Metroidvania, but could've been done with just linear levels like the old Castlevania games. All of Team Ladybug's games are good.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
There was an absolutely rude jump scare in Prey I almost had a heart attack. 4.5 hours in. Going through G.U.T.S. Easy mode is definitely helping. I'm not stressing so much over enemy encounters.

I uh, perhaps didn't make this clear enough but I was looking for a recommendations among the list of games I posted...
Oops sorry. Umm, Halo? Outer Worlds looks the most fun in that list.

vastag

Oct 26, 2017
Finished my first game of Old World today and is everything that Humankind should have been. Great mechanics, nice UI, interesting gameplay, varied systems... an excellent game. I'm really excited to see what they do with future expansions.

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018
I just noticed that Spider-Man PC trailer is 3rd most watched from State of Play with almost 1M views. RE4 and Street Fighter 6 are leading.
I think that S-M on PC has a lot of potential and there is a lot of interest for it. I expect that it will become Sony's best seller on PC so far.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
I just noticed that Spider-Man PC trailer is 3rd most watched from State of Play with almost 1M views. RE4 and Street Fighter 6 are leading.
I think that S-M on PC has a lot of potential and there is a lot of interest for it. I expect that it will become Sony's best seller on PC so far.
SM is just insanely big it will do well on anything.

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
Sure hope the Quarry works on Steam Deck.

Perfect type of game to play on the bed before sleeping!

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
So the Immortal in the title is the status you need to be if you wanna get some decent gear without microtransactions uhu?

Freezard

Oct 28, 2017

Deedlit - It's good but not great. Short enough so I would give it a try.
Halo - I just played through CE and it's awfully outdated. Don't bother. Reach still holds up well and the story won't be confusing.
Tunic/Death's Door - Some of the best games in their genre but sounds like you can skip em.
Iron Harvest - Sweet Company of Heroes clone but with mechs, co-op.
Mortal Shell - Decent Dark Souls clone, probably the best indie one.
Olija - A little bit like Katana Zero, it's good and short.
The Pedestrian - If you like logical puzzles this one is good and I liked the presentation.
Nobody Saves the World - Think it's way better in co-op but I heard a lot of people still enjoy it solo. A bit grindy and long but not a rougelite.
Infernax - Castlevania 2:ish (more action less RPG) it's pretty good and short.

RR30

Oct 22, 2018
Did Blizzard seriously not forecast how Immortal was going to get ripped to shreds by PC gamers, who have other F2P ARPGs against which they can directly compare the monetization scheme?

Surely someone is paid to gauge consumer reaction over there, and saw this coming, miles ahead of launch.

Don't think they care tbh. Company is far gone from their heyday. Maybe Microsoft can fix the rot but I have my doubts.

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
No interest in Dead Cells since it's rogue-lite. Thanks anyway.

As someone else who tries to avoid rogue-lites because of a dislike of proc gen/preference towards well thought out handmade worlds Dead Cells is extra annoying because of just how good everything else in it is for me. The controls, look, and music are all amazing. The story is even interesting enough and provides reason for the way the game is even if I don't like some of the humor of it. Not to mention ongoing support with new areas and balance changes fairly regularly.

Not saying this to push you to try it, just my own frustration. Would also take a lot of time to actually "beat" the game as well since 5 cell mode is no joke.

Also as someone that was dissapointed by Death's Door, Tunic is probably worse when it comes to combat which is saying something. The real meat of that game (Tunic) is the world discovery/puzzle nature of the game. If that isn't enough of a hook then I would say it's safe to skip.

Saladin

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 27, 2021
I fell in love with Card Shark! Thank you lot for recommending it

Devolver keeps finding great people that makes brilliant indie games

Status
Not open for further replies.