• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
isnt it EGS exclusive?

Im legit asking, at this point I'm not sure what is EGS exclusive or what I've just seen people posting hoping its not EGS, it's all a blur.
Not confirmed, but probably

I'm past caring about games being EGS exclusive or not anymore, I just assume they are and wait for sales

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
Tempted to get

to play alongside WoW

Yay or nay?

I'm pretty sure I have a spare key from Twitch Prime for that exact version of the game. It's yours if you want it.

Edit: I know I claimed the key before the offer expired but not quite sure where I saved it to. I think it's in a text file on my home PC so I won't have it available until later.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
if you want another sub based mmo, sure.
Considering most F2P MMOs are awful, I don't mind subbing to an MMO when it's good.

I'm pretty sure I have a spare key from Twitch Prime for that exact version of the game. It's yours if you want it.

Edit: I know I claimed the key before the offer expired but not quite sure where I saved it to. I think it's in a text file on my home PC so I won't have it available until later.
If you have it, I'd love it, thanks.

Koz

Sep 5, 2018
FFXIV is a similar style of game to WoW in that it's largely a theme park styled MMO, but it does enough things different to keep it fresh. It also has, IMO, a much better story especially once you get into the expansions. If you don't mind the sub I'd say it's absolutely worth it. It has a pretty generous F2P/demo as well to try out before buying.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, FF14 is definitely one of the better MMO's out there. I've certainly enjoyed my time with it, I just can't stay invested in it for long periods of time for whatever reason. The drive to do max level/end-game stuff just doesn't materialize.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
giphy.gif

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Zero interest in a streaming future, interested in seeing what they're doing though

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Worth upgrading from a 1070 to a 2060? I can get the 2060 for $300, and can probably get at least $250 for my 1070.

Or...wait to see what AMD has?

JD3Nine

The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
Texas, United States
I think the tech behind it is interesting, but I'll be the last person still paying for and downloading games if that's what it takes. Not interested in streaming.

Also, revealing BG3 at the Stadia event seems like a mismatch. Either way, I'm just glad it's finally happening.

Get your "Competition" posts ready for after Google snaps up some console exclusives.

Last edited:

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
Nay.
you need expansion n all to enjoy it otherwise stay away. combat will be too slow without expansions.

Not sure what you mean by this. A level 30 Black mage or whatever is going to play exactly the same for someone regardless of having the expansions or not. Differences only come into play once you hit pre-xpac level cap, at which point someone would probably know if they want to buy the xpacs to keep playing or not.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Man, those are some strong feelings about Octopath, lol! Could you share some details on why it is so terrible? I have it on my Steam wishlist and I was thinking about playing it.
It's a fantastic game and was on my GOTY list last year.
You go to a town, you do your "special actions" on people until they tell you where a dungeon is, then you go to a linear dungeon and fight a boss that tells you where the next town is. Repeat that 3 times for 8 characters who never ever interact with each other.
Accurate enough, but that gameplay loop was a lot of fun for me. Precisely because the combat is so good and messing around in town was also fun. It also has an amazing OST and gorgeous visuals.

Remember how the characters in, say, Final Fantasy VI or Chrono Trigger talked with each other and had conversations? That as pretty dumb wasn't it. Don't worry tho, none of that is here. Why is this Thief following 7 other characters and helping them find their dead husband or whatever? Why not? What, you want a story or something?
I mean... you're not wrong, but that stuff really didn't bother me much.

I just found it silly. But then I've seen sillier things in JRPGs so... 🤷‍♀️
Got it. Is the combat system good at least?
It's the best turn-based combat system I've seen, bar none.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
You said it. There's also the fact that 2060s from some vendors are even more powerful than a a 1070.

And having the next Gen consoles hardware powered raytracing, rtx is definitely a future proof upgrade
2060 only has 6GB VRAM, which can be a limiting factor at higher resolutions (8GB is much safer). Also, the 2060 isn't real RTX (the support is there, but the performance is not real-world usable at any quality setting that you would actually want).

And Nvidia is set to announce something, possibly at E3 (there are rumors of enhanced versions of the current lineup, with faster speeds and lower prices, though who knows how reliable those are). Buying now might not be the best idea.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
Tempted to get

to play alongside WoW

Yay or nay?

Yay

although, a piece of advice: The story endgame of FF14 prior to the expansions is very, very long. Felt like two or three times as long as the previous 50 levels of story. You MUST play through the story to advance to the expansion(s).
If you want to experience the Story, cool. It is decent for an MMO.
If you want to rush to the latest content, buy a skip potion (or whatever it is called).

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Damn. Hype has returned!
What I really liked is how each battle was kind of a "puzzle". A lot of people who hated it or called it "boring" were, IMO, "playing it wrong" and not timing their turns optimally to stack buffs, debuffs and shield-breaks, or were ignoring important job passives that make a huge difference.

Deleted member 32374

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Large segment of Era is embarrassingly ignorant of the actual Independent gaming scene of the past 15 years + and they seem to like it that way. Mortifying. Any devs reading Era, we're trying ok? SNES vs Indie gaming thread LOL.... Steam shovel ware CONFIRMED.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
What I really liked is how each battle was kind of a "puzzle". A lot of people who hated it or called it "boring" were, IMO, "playing it wrong" and not timing their turns optimally to stack buffs, debuffs and shield-breaks, or were ignoring important job passives that make a huge difference.
I would say DOS and DOS2 have better tb combat that feels like a puzzle, but I quite enjoyed Octopath combat due to it feeling like a more freeflow FF3 and BD combat (although I prefered BD combat somehow).

Edit: you know, talking about great TB combat and Larian really makes it more exciting to see Baldurs Gate 3 with turn based combat.

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
Large segment of Era is embarrassingly ignorant of the actual Independent gaming scene of the past 15 years + and they seem to like it that way. Mortifying. Any devs reading Era, we're trying ok? SNES vs Indie gaming thread LOL.... Steam shovel ware CONFIRMED.
I mean regardless if people aren't aware of how absurdly good and high quality the modern indie scene is, the initial poll and premise and comparisons presented in that thread are so nonsensical I don't even know how you could have any sort of productive discussion in there.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, your average indie game now will be better than the average SNES videogame if only because there is a vast amount of game know-how (what works, what doesnt, what control set-ups are good, better communication with community of both developers AND customers, etc), much better tools (much easier to create stuff that before would take many man-hours), and much more powerful devices (so easier to brute-force simple stuff without seeing too much performance loss).

Schierke Mori

Oct 28, 2017
Yay

although, a piece of advice: The story endgame of FF14 prior to the expansions is very, very long. Felt like two or three times as long as the previous 50 levels of story. You MUST play through the story to advance to the expansion(s).
If you want to experience the Story, cool. It is decent for an MMO.
If you want to rush to the latest content, buy a skip potion (or whatever it is called).

Skip potion is also on sale at the moment! Best time to jump in with the expansion on the horizon.

Deleted member 32374

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I mean, your average indie game now will be better than the average SNES videogame if only because there is a vast amount of game know-how (what works, what doesnt, what control set-ups are good, better communication with community of both developers AND customers, etc), much better tools (much easier to create stuff that before would take many man-hours), and much more powerful devices (so easier to brute-force simple stuff without seeing too much performance loss).

Yes. The end product is better, bottom line. Wiggle about "innovation" and "vision" and "classic" all you want.... its better on a whole no question. And that's just comparing like games to like games (for some reason no one wants to compare Stunt Driving on the SNES to current Indie racers.... WHY NOT? Hmmmm)

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Yes. The end product is better, bottom line. Wiggle about "innovation" and "vision" and "classic" all you want.... its better on a whole no question. And that's just comparing like games to like games (for some reason no one wants to compare Stunt Driving on the SNES to current Indie racers.... WHY NOT? Hmmmm)
It is important to talk about the innovative games and how they changed the genre, but it is also important to notice the games that build on it in time and add their own twists. As more and more videogames are created, and technical limitations become less important, it becomes harder to create new genres but that doesnt mean there arent new great games.
Saying "Shovel Knight" is not as great as "Megaman 2" just because of how innovative Megaman was also seems to avoid thinking that Megaman 2 was build on the basis of Megaman 1. (or how a lot of ideas of SNES games came from NES games, which came from Arcades, which came from real life....)

We can look at films and how there are many movies in the 50s and 60s that showcase new innovative ideas in both production and storytelling that were perfected with time... but that doesnt mean there arent any new great movies (or best of all time) now, with more of the "basics" created. It just means they have an easier way to be "great".

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
Exactly. People haven't just been mindlessly playing or designing games for the past 25-30 years without thinking of ways of how to do things better and evolve concepts and ideas, and it shows.

Deleted member 32374

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
It is important to talk about the innovative games and how they changed the genre, but it is also important to notice the games that build on it in time and add their own twists. As more and more videogames are created, and technical limitations become less important, it becomes harder to create new genres but that doesnt mean there arent new great games.

We can look at films and how there are many movies in the 50s and 60s that showcase new innovative ideas in both production and storytelling that were perfected with time... but that doesnt mean there arent any new great movies (or best of all time) now, with more of the "basics" created. It just means they have an easier way to be "great".

I understand this. However.... I don't give more weight to something just because it came before. If the end product is better now, than that's what counts. Respect history, preserve the history the medium but its too often forgotten that many "innovative" things are failures. End of the day, quality and result matter. You can respect a game for trying something new, or to tie certain elements to a later success but it doesn't get assigned a higher score or a place in the video game HOF for this.

Status
Not open for further replies.