• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Also, I don't think Mortal Kombat 11 is getting anyone outside of the already-leaked characters.

Doomslayer probably has his sights set elsewhere.

DkQ-hOiW0AIxir_.jpg

BrutalInsane

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
On ERA? Absolutely lol
Overall? Hard to say imo

I don't know if I necessarily agree about ERA, to me it seems like it's more anti-, but you have certain posters that are very vocal in their 'pro' stance. Maybe it's just me being selective / biased in my reading. I try to look at Reddit when a title is announced as a EGS exclusive, and the amount of 'ok, Epic paid for it, so I have no problem pirating it now!' posts are astronomical.

I actually got a chuckle out of a post that read 'I used to be a Steiner Loyalist, but this go-around I think I'll be a PIRATE' in regards to MW5. I think this 'exclusivity' nonsense is going to have far-reaching consequences. Of course, I'm not endorsing piracy but . . . I can kind of see it as a 'protest' against publishers and EGS for them trying to turn a platform that has been open since the early 80s into something a little less free. All in all, this is going to make our platform of choice worse no matter what happens, and it's super disheartening.

We also have to rememeber that RE is a 95% console-centric site.

Deleted member 10601

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh.

No idea what the issue is, but it does make me wonder if there's also a hard cap on regular game ignores.

Maybe there's also a secret limit to how many games you can ignore. How many do you have currently marked (it tells you in a couple places, unlike curators/devs, and you can go through the list)?

Due to this new oddity i also can not process my discovery queue. I also can not un-ignore any game.
By the way i ignored 30,092 games while i viewed 25,276 games. ???

BlueOdin

Oct 26, 2017
Huh? what rumors are those lmao.

After E3 there was some analyst saying that the 30% cut is dead on consoles because of one CEO.

I think Era can be too hardcore with the "analysis" of the industry, sometimes. I'm kinda glad we're in the "complaining about EGS money-hatting" arena now, because the "Steam not curating their store is literally ruining gaming" arena was a living nightmare.

What Era is ignoring is that devs are seeking out EGS agreements, and that there have to be a lot of people in the industry seeing the posts here about EGS exclusivity harming sales and not providing the value of Steam cloud services and creating negative market pressures, and them literally looking at their own internal finances and seeing that their decision is sound.

The way Era/old place laughs at Pachter, you just know there are devs laughing at us.

We've got less than 50k members here. How many Fortnite players log into EGS, people that don't even have a uPlay or Steam account, and see a big, flashy, animated ad for Borderlands 3, The Division 2, or World War Z, and then go on to buy that game?

Damn, I just looked and freaking Cyberpunk 2077 is on pre-order for EGS now.

I just feel that maybe the numbers-free "analysis" you see of the industry on Era might be off when Ubisoft, CDPR, and indies are willfully going to EGS.

Having seen some of these people clicking away the flashy banner to get to Fortnite as fast as possible I don't think the number of people is as high. Anecdotal and all but I don't think it is much different for the other parts of the mainly kids playing Fortnite. And I don't think Epic ever released a breakdown of the percentage of how many people play on what platform.

Ubisoft already stated that their goal with EGS exclusivity was to get more people directly to uPlay and it seemed to have worked out for them.

Don't see how Cyberpunk 2077, Bloodlines 2 or soon Baldur's Gate 3 being available on there additional to other storefronts is any sign whatsoever.

Of course it is harder to analyse and come to conclusions (which have a high chance of being wrong) without the actual numbers and using other metrics. But seeing a few tweets from "indie mentors" here and there there seems to be also a huge chunk of indies who think the worst case scenario is them selling 50.000 units so I wouldn't give them the expertise either.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Due to this new oddity i also can not process my discovery queue. I also can not un-ignore any game.
By the way i ignored 30,092 games while i viewed 25,276 games. ???
It probably counts games you've ignored on the store page. (Which would not be 'viewed' but would be 'ignored'.)

I'm only at, like, ~9000 ignored so I don't think I'll be able to test this any time soon. I basically stopped browsing Steam entirely a few years back--there's too much stuff for me to bother.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if I necessarily agree about ERA, to me it seems like it's more anti-, but you have certain posters that are very vocal in their 'pro' stance. Maybe it's just me being selective / biased in my reading. I try to look at Reddit when a title is announced as a EGS exclusive, and the amount of 'ok, Epic paid for it, so I have no problem pirating it now!' posts are astronomical.

I actually got a chuckle out of a post that read 'I used to be a Steiner Loyalist, but this go-around I think I'll be a PIRATE' in regards to MW5. I think this 'exclusivity' nonsense is going to have far-reaching consequences. Of course, I'm not endorsing piracy but . . . I can kind of see it as a 'protest' against publishers and EGS for them trying to turn a platform that has been open since the early 80s into something a little less free. All in all, this is going to make our platform of choice worse no matter what happens, and it's super disheartening.

We also have to rememeber that RE is a 95% console-centric site.
My view is that if you are anti EGS, you have to be vocal, otherwise it's pointless. If you aren't, you don't have to engage on discussions at all; you just use it.

Deleted member 10601

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It probably counts games you've ignored on the store page. (Which would not be 'viewed' but would be 'ignored'.)

I'm only at, like, ~9000 ignored so I don't think I'll be able to test this any time soon. I basically stopped browsing Steam entirely a few years back--there's too much stuff for me to bother.

Hehe, i viewed EVERY store page of these ignored games so the viewed games count is... wrong.... since many months. The viewed game count should be higher than the ignored game count. Maybe Steam should reset its databases? lol

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
It's also the stance a lot of popular people on Era/some of the admins, though they only talk about it outside of it, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The overwhelming majority of Era is drinking the Epic kool-aid, it's a lost cause. The fact that apparently next gen will shake things up regarding the 30% cut in consoles will only make it worse (not that it happening in itself is a bad thing, of course).

Interesting there's talk of the consoles lowering their 30% cut, I do think it's a little high and should be lowered a little bit (though not to the 12% Tim loves). Valve lowering the split after certain sales goals are hit is a nice start but they probably could do a little bit better (something like a lower starting cut, perhaps 25% and a single drop after a certain sales goal is hit, maybe sales numbers between the 2 drops Steam currently has).

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
After E3 there was some analyst saying that the 30% cut is dead on consoles because of one CEO.

Having seen some of these people clicking away the flashy banner to get to Fortnite as fast as possible I don't think the number of people is as high. Anecdotal and all but I don't think it is much different for the other parts of the mainly kids playing Fortnite. And I don't think Epic ever released a breakdown of the percentage of how many people play on what platform.

Ubisoft already stated that their goal with EGS exclusivity was to get more people directly to uPlay and it seemed to have worked out for them.

Don't see how Cyberpunk 2077, Bloodlines 2 or soon Baldur's Gate 3 being available on there additional to other storefronts is any sign whatsoever.

Of course it is harder to analyse and come to conclusions (which have a high chance of being wrong) without the actual numbers and using other metrics. But seeing a few tweets from "indie mentors" here and there there seems to be also a huge chunk of indies who think the worst case scenario is them selling 50.000 units so I wouldn't give them the expertise either.

I really hope some of the developers and publishers who release games on Steam and EGS simultaneously release some sales break downs between stores, it's going to be interesting to see what percentage of people buy on EGS when they have a choice.

BrutalInsane

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I really hope some of the developers and publishers who release games on Steam and EGS simultaneously release some sales break downs between stores, it's going to be interesting to see what percentage of people buy on EGS when they have a choice.

Agreed, but I think we know the answer to this :)

I was thinking about that this morning as well. I'd be curious to see demographics between age, how long you've been playing on PC, what your main platform is (ie PC, Xbox, PS4), so on and so forth. Just out of curiosity.

As for me, I'm an old. I keep thinking back to my youth and buying physical PC games when I was a kid. It would be like going into a Babbages, and finding out that they don't sell Ultima 7 there because Origin made an exclusive deal with Electronics Botique, but the nearest one is in another mall 30 miles away, and that store also happens to have a puppy-kicking room in the back.

Also, get off my lawn.

Joe Spangle

Nov 1, 2017
I'd like to know the numbers for Metro on Steam when it was up for pre-order and the rush after eggs got announced vs the number of sales on eggs. Given that guy is the Steam spy guy I guess they would know those numbers? And I imagine that if it sold more on eggs they would be happy to announce that?

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Yeah, it''ll be mostly DLC for existing stuff, but every current fighting game will probably announce something.

Probably a new season for Tekken,
Bunch of new SFV characters,
Doomguy for MK11,
Janemba for Dragonball FighterZ

I could see the new Under-Night getting announced that leaked a while back, maybe some other anime fighter.
DBFZ we will prob. get a first look at Gogeta and (Super) Broly.

Shogun

Oct 27, 2017

I know there will be people who prefer using the Epic store but if a game is available to buy across multiple store fronts why in the fuck would you buy it from them? Supporting your local currency when others do not is the only reason. I don't use Origin or Uplay much but from what I can see the EGS is the worse place to play.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
I dont think Era is really "pro Epic", but it might seem like that if the same 4-5 posters, some of them who even admitted they are console gamers or dont even have EGS installed, post post after post replying to the same 3-4 posters that are anti-epic.

I mean I see most posts are more anti-epic or oneliners "lol Epic" and then you have the same 10 posters from "both sides" making page after page in what more seems to be "yes", "no", "yes", "no" etc.

Custódio

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil, Unaí/MG
People who think that the "anti-epic" sentiment is something restricted to a minotiry of Era's vocal users are delusional. It's like that everywhere, from comments on articles (even the pro-epic articles of PC Gamer) to youtube, facebook, reddit and, of course, bakers on kickstarter.

That PC players that actually like what Epic are doing are very rare, and there's also the vocal console players that think PC players should accept the shitty things that are normal on consoles. There's also a lot of people who work on the media, that for some reason also seem to think that the Epic Store is like the second coming.

TioChuck

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
People who think that the "anti-epic" sentiment is something restricted to a minotiry of Era's vocal users are delusional. It's like that everywhere, from comments on articles (even the pro-epic articles of PC Gamer) to youtube, facebook, reddit and, of course, bakers on kickstarter.

That PC players that actually like what Epic are doing are very rare, and there's also the vocal console players that think PC players should accept the shitty things that are normal on consoles. There's also a lot of people who work on the media, that for some reason also seem to think that the Epic Store is like the second coming.

There´s a lot of creator code holders that defend Epic too, but they have a monetary incentive to do so.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
There´s a lot of creator code holders that defend Epic too, but they have a monetary incentive to do so.

Because they think they will be the chosen few that are blessed by Epic.

Just like how middle class people can support a tax cut for the rich, "ill become one of those rich people someday"

You see much smaller indie devs that know they wont get accepted or are already denied onto the store already being skeptical of Epic. But no one is going to run a story about those developers.

TioChuck

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
Because they think they will be the chosen few that are blessed by Epic.

Just like how middle class people can support a tax cut for the rich, "ill become one of those rich people someday"

You see much smaller indie devs that know they wont get accepted or are already denied onto the store already being skeptical of Epic. But no one is going to run a story about those developers.

Sorry if I missunderstood your post, but I was talking about Streamers and Youtubers, "influencers", of all sizes, that got into they program that they give you a code so that every purchase on the egs you got some of that money.

BrutalInsane

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
What's the first game that EGS delisted from Steam that's going to be avail on it after the exclusivity runs out? I'm guessing Metro?

When it comes to MW5, I'd definitely buy it if they sold it through their own launcher/website as well. I have no problem doing that, although I'm struggling with the idea of 'rewarding bad behavior.' Otherwise, see you in the futttuuurrrreeeee! For full price once it's on Steam, I imagine.

BlueOdin

Oct 26, 2017
What's the first game that EGS delisted from Steam that's going to be avail on it after the exclusivity runs out? I'm guessing Metro?

When it comes to MW5, I'd definitely buy it if they sold it through their own launcher/website as well. I have no problem doing that, although I'm struggling with the idea of 'rewarding bad behavior.' Otherwise, see you in the futttuuurrrreeeee! For full price once it's on Steam, I imagine.

First ones should be Ashen, some Hello Neighbour game and maybe Hades if it finishes its Early Access period by then.

Demacabre

Nov 20, 2017
I always think about this:

The EGS and the Lootbox situation has proven to me that a sizeable amount of people in this sphere are as right wing as they come when it comes to the economics of video games. They downplay concerns by consumers and tout things like trickle down eceonomics, personal responsibility, blaming the victims of exploitative practices, and willing to defend anything that is best for the corporations. And it's the reason why I am drifting away from frequenting Era. When it comes to money, some people's masks slip off. It's just about the money and keeping the gold rush going.

OP
OP
Uzzy

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
I can see why devs think their game would be more visible on EGS, but unless EGS remain exceptional tight fisted on who gets on, or start removing games, that visibility isn't going to last for more than a few years at most.

At which point we end up in exactly the same situation as we did with Steam a decade ago.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
I think there are at least 3 different scenes you could be talking about.
It's game of high highs. And low lows.

I think that this one is mandatory.

I can see why devs think their game would be more visible on EGS, but unless EGS remain exceptional tight fisted on who gets on, or start removing games, that visibility isn't going to last for more than a few years at most.

At which point we end up in exactly the same situation as we did with Steam a decade ago.

Epic Store is already a mess. Their front page is just infinite scroll page, Even Control is like 1/3 down. But because of the infinite scroll thing you can't say that you are not on the front page (even though Steam has same feature).

Joe Spangle

Nov 1, 2017
Alan Wake is great! I just finished chapter 2. I'd forgotten loads of the game so getting a good nostalgia kick playing it. Only thing bugging me at the mo is the way the camera seems to want to default to over the left shoulder and I have to click it over to the right all the time but other than that i'm finding it fun.

OP
OP
Uzzy

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK

Epic Store is already a mess. Their front page is just infinite scroll page, Even Control is like 1/3 down. But because of the infinite scroll thing you can't say that you are not on the front page (even though Steam has same feature).

Exactly, the visibility is already creeking and will only get worse as time and games go on. I can understand why devs get frustrated with issues around visibility but just repeating the last decade when it comes to that doesn't solve the problem, it just restarts it.

Guess we'll see a new store take the industry by storm in 2029. People love storefronts in 2029 A.D.

Oct 25, 2017
Tbf, I expect the front page and general layout/search features/etc of the store to be revamped and maaaaaaaybe be one of the causes they missed almost every feature from the roadmap so far. They opened up with something that obviously couldn't handle more than a couple dozen games, so that has to be the actual top priority behind the stages, right?

svacina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tbf, I expect the front page and general layout/search features/etc of the store to be revamped and maaaaaaaybe be one of the causes they missed almost every feature from the roadmap so far. They opened up with something that obviously couldn't handle more than a couple dozen games, so that has to be the actual top priority behind the stages, right?
I'd say their behind the scenes priority should be making the back end capable of enabling new features and adding new games without everything having to be done by hand. Because that is bottlenecking them hard.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017

Their top priority is still securing exclusives.

Also one thing that I don't like is that when and if all these exclusives start coming to Steam they will find a way to charge full price for them. Metro will come on Steam as Complete Edition for sure at full price. You can't complain because you are getting everything bit at the same time it is year old game that you won't be able to buy separately (maybe I am wrong but I don't think so).

svacina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also one thing that I don't like is that when and if all these exclusives start coming to Steam they will find a way to charge full price for them. Metro will come on Steam as Complete Edition for sure at full price. You can't complain because you are getting everything bit at the same time it is year old game that you won't be able to buy separately (maybe I am wrong but I don't think so).
I can guaran-fucking-tee you that once BL3's 6 month exclusivity period is done it's releasing on Steam full price and you are not getting a single DLC included in that.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017

Exactly, the visibility is already creeking and will only get worse as time and games go on. I can understand why devs get frustrated with issues around visibility but just repeating the last decade when it comes to that doesn't solve the problem, it just restarts it.

Guess we'll see a new store take the industry by storm in 2029. People love storefronts in 2029 A.D.

The true irony is that the EGS is going to run into visibility issues light-speeds faster then Steam.

The store is like 6 months old at this point.

And already the front page is a cluster fuck.

What happens when they hit 100 games? 200? That's a lot for Epic and yet a tiny amount for Steam or even Consoles.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
So, Rogue Warrior. Reviews are mixed. First review says "Better than Anthem" .

It's just over 2 CAD and would basically completel my collection of Bethesda legacy titles. Is it worth it?

matimeo

UI/UX Game Industry Veteran
Verified
Oct 26, 2017

UI and UX is never the top priority sadly.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
Hey Aaron D. I think it was you that highlighted Farm Manager 2018 which ive played for about 15 hours now. Im in the campaign. I like it, its a nice sim game but im at a point where it seems I just need to run down the clock for a year to complete a training course. It doesn't seem worth planting any more fields of stuff, i have quite a few. Lots of options to build things are locked out and so im just playing a waiting game. Its a little bit 'grindy'. Im thinking of just starting a free play game but I'd like to finish the campaign. I think ill give it another weekend to see if i can unlock more stuff.

Its on sale if anyones interested...

Yeah, Farm Manager has been on my radar for a long time now. Been waiting for the right price and 5'ish dollars looks like it's time to dive in.

Might nab the Brewing & Winemaking dlc as that looks like a fun venture. Too bad it's not hyper-customizable like some other business management sims. I'd love to brew me some Sour beer that seems to be all the rage now (yum :p).

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
Kind of, yeah. There was that tweet where they mentioned adding games to be a manual process that can only be done a few times per week, I can imagine that the development team are just spending all the time they have with adding games instead of features.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
Alan Wake is great! I just finished chapter 2. I'd forgotten loads of the game so getting a good nostalgia kick playing it. Only thing bugging me at the mo is the way the camera seems to want to default to over the left shoulder and I have to click it over to the right all the time but other than that i'm finding it fun.
That game should have ended in 5 chapters. The mini sequel was much better paced because of the DLC format it was in but the main game really stretches the same gameplay loop to way longer than I was happy with. More light puzzles, less useless and samey combat encounters would have done that game good. I think that middle stretch from the start of the game to when you get to the jail could have been shorter.

Still, despite its issue the Alan Wake name is very evocative and brings back a lot of memories, both good and bad. I love the atmosphere and the way they told the story, felt like a real mystery thriller even if they did not stick the landing for me.

Kind of, yeah. There was that tweet where they mentioned adding games to be a manual process that can only be done a few times per week, I can imagine that the development team are just spending all the time they have with adding games instead of features.
I wonder what that means? That they have to build an entire entry from scratch because they can't automate certain parts of the process? Seem bizarre for a game tech company like Epic to go about it.

What does this mean for them when they finally open up the store? Probably nothing as I don't think they will ever fully open it to devs anyway or not in the near future anyway.

Oct 25, 2017
UI and UX is never the top priority sadly.
...You are unfortunately right.

I wonder what that means? That they have to build an entire entry from scratch because they can't automate certain parts of the process? Seem bizarre for a game tech company like Epic to go about it.

What does this mean for them when they finally open up the store? Probably nothing as I don't think they will ever fully open it to devs anyway or not in the near future anyway.
I am not a dev so I dunno the details, but afaik EGS is built on top of the Fortnite launcher that was built on top of the Unreal launcher/store or something like that? Jerry-rigs galore.

Deleted member 10601

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So many years and still no real sort options on GMG. Is it really that hard to let me sort the games after release date?

EDIT: The same problem on CDkeys. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.