• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Dropped a few hours in last night and I'm really digging it so far. Didn't even realize there's a separate Contracts mode outside of the Campaign missions. In Contracts you design & sell blueprints to fit specific client needs, and use the cash to get new machine types and expand your business. Has a lite-RPG vibe to it.

The 3-star ranking system feels well tuned for each campaign mission. It's one of those deals where if you're a completionist, you're really gonna have to think through your production chain. Most star ratings follow the same pattern of minimum completed orders, power usage under x Wh, and minimum ingredients used. You also have a custom spending cap for each level that keeps you in check for working with what you've got to earn those 3 stars.

Quibble complaints are no key remapping, which the dev said is the first-priority for upcoming patch. I personally think the default keys are just fine, but I can see where some might be bothered.

A larger issue for me is that I'd like to see hotkey implementation for favorited parts. Dispensers, robotic arms (dumb), and conveners are simply essentials that come up time and again along your production chain construction phase. I'd like to quickly queue them up when I'm brainstorming puzzle solutions.

So yeah, overall this game is well ace. Really surprised the base price is only $15 for all you get, both content and production-wise.

Some more stuff for you mate. You really must be happy with so many tycoons!

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017

Some more stuff for you mate. You really must be happy with so many tycoons!

Yeah it's weird. I noticed this mentioned upthread, but I swear it feels like I saw this one featured like a year ago on YouTube. Was it previously a mobile game or something?

Anyway, really dig the clean presentation. Reminds me of Rise of Industry.

Wishlisted.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
YlhPgBo.gif
This was me coming from the gym just now.

Now I'm sad cuz I see my man Krejlooc got baited into a ban.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
anyone play moonlighter? any thoughts?
I played it a bit (via PC Game Pass) and didn't like it. It's kinda Recettear without the charm, which wasn't enough for me. I wanted the shop stuff to have more of a focus, but it just feels like an excuse to gamify the progression mechanic.

If you're looking for classical Zelda dungeon-delving with a progression metagame layered on top Moonlighter might be for you. Outside of that I can't recommend it.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Every time I see Aymeric and Lucia I think of Fullmetal Alchemist's Roy Mustang and Riza Hawkeye.

That blinded me to the glory that is Haurchefant for a long time.

Cat_o_Nine

Dec 12, 2017
USA
I was not pointing at these specific games, but highlighting that checking game content can be harder than searching for alt-right English words.

I encounter more and more store pages for games available solely in Chinese. Sometimes, I get what they are about, sometimes not at all.
Maybe they just don't release the game if they don't know what it's about?

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Hope my cousin's old ass 2 GB GPU laptop can run FF14 on low for a worthwhile 30 FPS gaming experience.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Finished AC Brotherhood today. Such a great game still. And i must say that game is definitely better game than AC2 in almost every aspect. But AC2 still has special place in my heart.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
Finished up Plague Tale. I think it took me around 10 hours? Game Time Tracker has crapped out on me.

I enjoyed the game quite a bit. It's not a deep stealth game, more of a "puzzle stealth" game, where you have to examine the environment for the right way to distract or kill guards to make your way through the levels. There's somewhat of a balance between areas that have distinct solutions versus those that allow for some options to sneak by instead of killing. Taking a shorter way through, however, often means passing up upgrade materials or collectibles. That said, upgrading didn't seem very necessary to get through the game, and the collectibles don't add much to the experience. It's mostly for achievement hunters. The game does a good job of introducing new mechanics as the game goes on, and it doesn't outstay its welcome.

I don't want to go too deep on the rats as they are best experienced in game. The sheer amount of rats on screen with seemingly no performance hit seems like engineering magic. They do look a little odd at times as they are bounced around.

On the negative side, there are a fair amount of instant kill scenarios that will have you replaying sections of the game. Overall, the game is not too challenging, however, so the frustration doesn't tend to last too long.

I felt that the characters were all very likable, and there were some very enjoyable interactions between them. You spend all of your time interacting with children, and the writers did a very nice job balancing their more childlike aspects with the more mature scenarios they are forced to participate in. I really liked Amicia and her little brother Hugo, while initially a typical annoying little boy, really grew on me. Overall, the story was very intriguing, with some really gut punching scenes. I have many questions about the lore and I hope that they will get to expand on it.

One related nitpick is in the way the game forces you to kill a little too often. The reactions to the first kills are treated very well, but some of the killing winds up feeling excessive, and actually unnecessary. The first upgrade you get is to your sling, which causes lethal headshots. But why would a rock to the head automatically kill someone? The devs could have just as easily made a headshot cause a knockout or incapacitation. There is also a knockout gas, but it's described as permanent. Why not describe it as temporary? These minor changes would have made the cases where killing happens more impactful and make the character seem less like a mass murderer.

Graphically, the game is beautiful all around, from the environments, to the clothing textures to the faces. Some might not like the CA, but you can turn it off. Performance was good, with some occasional stuttering.

Launchpad

Oct 26, 2017
I got into the GoG Galaxy 2.0 beta and so far this thing is amazing. Having a search for all my games (including consoles), achievements earned in games and other things like that is awesome.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
It seems most people really like it. I only have a couple games on GoG so it won't make much difference for me.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017

So many facepalm in here:

The situation is slightly awkward for Epic, sure, though that's what I assume Valve wants when it comes to SteamVR. It created VR tracking software that any developer, software or hardware, can interface with. It named it after Steam and made it available on Steam. Except for a small number of users who are going to tinker with other open source VR software, most will use either SteamVR or Oculus's software to configure their VR headsets. That makes Steam a natural place to buy and sell VR games, because anyone using a SteamVR-compatible headset has it.
Guy should read about OpenVR

That means that if VR really takes off, Valve has put itself in a great position by tying VR functionality, not just VR games, to Steam. SteamVR also supports the Oculus Rift, making it even more essential.
VR functionality isnt tied to Steam.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
lolwut?

We made this to aid VR developers, but mostly to really rub their noses in it.
Sssh, the author really wants to point that Steam is clearly an evil mastermind who plans to force all devs to use their free-to-use APIs to force them to use Steam (despite providing also a less nicely packed version that doesnt require Steam, but that part the author didnt have enough time to research).

Like man, for all the "research" he says he did, he really should have investigated about SteamVR, instead of just going on his thought line and assuming that is how it works, as he was... really wrong. The thing of trying the uPlay game was a cool idea tbf, just hilarious when he misses so many easy "research" stuff.

Wok

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
France
Guy should read about OpenVR

I think he mentions it in the part which you quoted:
Except for a small number of users who are going to tinker with other open source VR software, most will use either SteamVR or Oculus's software to configure their VR headsets.

Does Tetris Effect support OpenVR? Because the article seems to imply that devs prefer to rely on SteamVR than OpenVR, at least for other games. If so, any idea why? Is OpenVR on par with SteamVR?
SteamVR auto-launching with a GOG game was an issue for at least one user.
I wondered if Vive-compatible VR games on Uplay also launched SteamVR, so I bought a copy of Eagle Flight. It appeared in my Uplay library, and when I went to download it, the Steam install prompt popped up.

Edit: Found this, but still unclear to me what SteamVR is: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=1131-WSFG-3320

Use the OpenVR SDK to target SteamVR. The OpenVR SDK provides greater integration to the SteamVR platform and its tools for the HTC Vive, Oculus Rift, and other OpenVR headsets.

Edit²: Found this as well: https://github.com/ValveSoftware/openvr/wiki/API-Documentation

OpenVR is divided into 2 layers: application and driver. OpenVR for application talks to SteamVR. SteamVR then talks to OpenVR driver.

Last edited:

eonden

Oct 25, 2017

Does Tetris Effect support OpenVR? Because the article seems to imply that devs prefer to rely on SteamVR than OpenVR, at least for other games. If so, any idea why? Is OpenVR on par with SteamVR?
OpenVR is basically SteamVR (as Valve is the main contributor to OpenVR), just with a worse looking package. SteamVR is a wrapper that makes it easier to connect with all the stuff on Steam basically. People prefer to rely on SteamVR because it is easier to launch the game on Steam but you dont need it.

He probably means users can tinker with other open source VR software that is done also on the basis of OpenVR, but that is still the same API basically, just a different package.

Edit: heck, the whole git for OpenVR is in VALVE!

Deleted member 3038

Oct 25, 2017

Edit: Found this, but still unclear to me what SteamVR is: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=1131-WSFG-3320

Edit²: Found this as well: https://github.com/ValveSoftware/openvr/wiki/API-Documentation
OpenVR is in layman's terms the backend for SteamVR, and non-Steam games can access it and the drivers for it without hooking into steam.

Having SteamVR open while running a OpenVR game has usually launched it in SteamVR for me, but if I close steam and I launch a OVR title it'll just use the other backend.

SteamVR is a wrapper that makes it easier to connect with all the stuff on Steam basically. People prefer to rely on SteamVR because it is easier to launch the game on Steam but you dont need it.
This pretty much.

Wok

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
France
SteamVR is a wrapper that makes it easier to connect with all the stuff on Steam basically. People prefer to rely on SteamVR because it is easier to launch the game on Steam but you dont need it.

I don't know. In the Wiki of OpenVR, it seems that there are two layers for OpenVR.
The application layer, which I assume is the most friendly to use for a dev, seems to rely on SteamVR.

Also, are people able to play Tetris Effect with OpenVR but without SteamVR?

Having SteamVR open while running a OpenVR game has usually launched it in SteamVR for me, but if I close steam and I launch a OVR title it'll just use the other backend.

Thanks. I see.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know. In the Wiki of OpenVR, it seems that there are two layers for OpenVR.
The application layer, which I assume is the most friendly to use for a dev, seems to rely on SteamVR.

Also, are people able to play Tetris Effect with OpenVR but without SteamVR?
No, because they use SteamVR wrapper to update OpenVR.

As Joe Ludwig explains better here:

OpenVR is the API. SteamVR is the implementation of that API.

Wok

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
France
As it says here:
OpenVR is the API. SteamVR is the implementation of that API.

This is extremely confusing, because I don't really understand what the "implementation" of an API is.

Then there are threads like that:

What I imagine is that there are implementations of that API, other than SteamVR.
Or that the name SteamVR is confusing and it is actually a generic implementation.
I don't know. I would like to know why devs of Tetris Effect did not use the other backend.

Last edited:

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
This is extremely confusing, because I don't really understand what the "implementation" of an API is.
The implementation of an API is the part that actually makes it work. The API just standardises function calls. Now you could replace SteamVR with any other OpenVR compatible driver. There are such drivers that exist. It just requires some more legwork to make it work.

At which point you say, "if it requires more work, then why not just use steamVR?". That is kind of the point, Valve have developed a system anybody can use and re-implement for their own purposes, but they're not just going to bother to do work on something they won't use, Valve uses SteamVR.

Last edited:

eonden

Oct 25, 2017

What I imagine is that there are implementations of that API, other than SteamVR.
Or that the name SteamVR is confusing and it is actually a generic implementation.
I don't know. I would like to know why devs of Tetris Effect did not use the other backend.

I would say the example would be that the API is the different components that you can use, and that the SteamVr is taking those components and making it easier to use through it. Think about how the original Windows was basically just a different implementation of Console. Same "API", different implementation.

The devs of Tetris Effect didnt use the other backend because they probably thought they would launch on Steam until fairly recently and didnt think about going through the pain of using an inferior wrapper.

Deleted member 3038

Oct 25, 2017

Essentially you can either setup OVR to piggyback off of steam, or use the standalone version that doesn't require steam. Usually it's dependent on what your usecase is for a VR title (Is it using room-scale, do you need controller binding, do you need reprojection)

for example on the API Documentation for OVR:

One real-world example of an application is a game engine like Unity. Unity uses OpenVR to get the position of the headset and apply that to the main camera without the need to care which brand of headset you are using. Unity then sends the camera image to OpenVR. OpenVR does some operation on the image and then display to the real headset monitor.

For a simple example, you can also build a small application that just prints the position of the headset to the console. Most of the API documentation in this wiki is about building OpenVR application. An application usually starts with calling vr::VR_Init() function from openvr.h.

If you just need the position and/or basic info about the HMD you can just use that, and that's what most of the smaller early-gen stuff used (Oculus Dev kit's SDK also just read out this information for any program)

EDIT: as for Tetris effect launching steamVR when you launch the VR version, I don't own the game but I'd imagine that the launch SteamVR option is ticked in the dev settings for everyone (IIRC it's a default option)
83UZ4bz.png

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
Some games never drop their price: Ni No Kuni 2+season pass is still 80€, Dragon Ball Fighterz Ultimate is 100+€, even with a 75% off from Voidu those two games are more than 56€.

Classy Tomato

Jun 2, 2019
I mean, the game isn't really optimized for any modern machine/OS, so always download the unofficial patches at least. For FO3's Win 10 issue, I think the fix is simply changing/adding a line in an .ini file.
Fallout NV is ok on steam/10. 3 is best purchased on GoG as they fixed some issues regarding compatibility. A little bit at least.
Hmm, pcgamingwiki does recommend some fan patches for the game. I think I'm gonna run it vanilla and install the patches if some issues occur.

Thanks all!

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Now that I am done with AC Brotherhood I need to think what to play next. Maybe I should finally play Wolfenstein 2.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Now that I am done with AC Brotherhood I need to think what to play next. Maybe I should finally play Wolfenstein 2.
Wolfy2 is kinda facinating in how much of a misfire it is as a shooter. I won't say it's a good time, but if you're anything like me you'll walk away from it having a higher appreciation for other first-person games that get the little stuff right.

Deleted member 10601

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Regarding Wolfenstein: Youngblood
As soon as i read that enemies are levelling with you, i canceled my pre-order. :(

Now, what should i buy instead?

Status
Not open for further replies.