• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nexus

Oct 25, 2017
I'm looking for a strategy game. Maybe something a little more casual? Sort of faster paced and games that don't like like 5 hours. I've never really dove into that genre besides XCOM. I just played into the breach on pc game pass and now I've got the itch.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
iW2lOoi.png

0ppvLjF.png

CUlxpxn.png

iItBBEj.png

I hate this game.

I really enjoy these games and don't bother to play on hardest difficulty. In Shadow if you play with hard puzzles and traversal but regular combat, you get credit for playing on hard 😁. The extra hard mode was basically the only achievement I didn't get before the dlc came out (score attack modes are not for me).

Prelude

Oct 25, 2017
Playing RotTR on higher difficulties makes it a lot better actually, not sure why they decided to drop so many mechanics on normal. You're collecting materials for the whole game, it'd make sense having to manage them a little.

Oct 27, 2017
Hey everyone. I've been trying to assign mouse and keyboard for player 1 and an Xbox One controller for player 2, but I've had annoying issues. Has anybody worked out this issue? It's mostly for brutal Doom.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm looking for a strategy game. Maybe something a little more casual? Sort of faster paced and games that don't like like 5 hours. I've never really dove into that genre besides XCOM. I just played into the breach on pc game pass and now I've got the itch.

For gamepass games you might check out Mutant Year Zero (play on normal difficulty) and The Banner Saga.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
Since I have an irrational feeling that (for me) using a guide = I have cheated, thank goodness for the hint system in The Messenger or I would have dropped the game a while ago.

Wok

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
France
The time when a sack of gems was worth 20 cents is long gone.

I am afraid the price will increase till 35-40 cents.

In hindsight, these were the worst summer sales ever!

Last edited:

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
Interesting thing: I downloaded Shadow of War from Game Pass.
Preaviously I played the game on Steam during a free week-end or something like that, beat the first chapter? Or something like that.
When I booted the game on Game Pass the title autodetected my saves and now I can proceed with the game from where I left.
EDIT: Apparently the game has crossplay and that one is a save from XBox, my brother tried the game a bit, around 1 hour, than dropped it, while on Steam I managed to beat act 1, so actually I was beyond that point.

Last edited:

Joe Spangle

Nov 1, 2017
Im right at the end of Bioshock Infinite (I think, seems like the end)...

There is a big fight where i have to keep skylining around and destroying zeppelin whilst those big bot things attack a tesla coil thingy. I died twice before turning it off. The difficulty compared to the rest of the game is ridiculous, And im playing on easy! I just wanted to see the game, not really interested in the combat. Also im on the joypad so im never going to be able to play it on harder levels.

Other than that ive enjoyed it for the most part. Visually its a nice looking game. Combat isnt really my thing so im just treating it as a 'walking simulator' with a bit of shooty shooty now and then.

VeuillezPLP

Oct 28, 2017
France
Played Summer Catchers, it's really really good.

It may looks like an endless runner but it's so much more than that, it's well-written, funny and has fantastic characters.

There's also a lot of hidden content for the player to discover , it's really an engaging adventure.

The soundtrack is also amazing!

It is out tomorrow!

Deleted member 18857

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Played Summer Catchers, it's really really good.

It may looks like an endless runner but it's so much more than that, it's well-written, funny and has fantastic characters.

There's also a lot of hidden content for the player to discover , it's really an engaging adventure.

The soundtrack is also amazing!

It is out tomorrow!

The art reminds me of Kingdom (classic/new lands/two crowns). I really like it.

OP
OP
Uzzy

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
I really enjoy these games and don't bother to play on hardest difficulty. In Shadow if you play with hard puzzles and traversal but regular combat, you get credit for playing on hard 😁. The extra hard mode was basically the only achievement I didn't get before the dlc came out (score attack modes are not for me).

I'm running through Deadly Obsession difficulty in Shadow atm, so I can't change to regular combat. Everything's uber hard!

The Dark Soulsian 'only saves the game at campfires' is a neat touch, but SOTTR is a very different game to Dark Souls, so I'm not sure how much it really adds. In Dark Souls, every time you step out into the world you're learning something it, be it enemy placements and strats, mechanical knowledge of how to beat them, how to traverse the environment to get to your next objective, or shortcuts to previous areas you might need.

SOTTR by contrast has none of that. You don't need to learn enemy placement or strategies to beat them as they're trivial to defeat, and you don't get any sort of reward for mastery of the environment, as your traversal of the world is limited to exactly what the devs have already laid infront of you. There's no shortcuts to unlock either. All you have are fairly lengthy climbing sequences which aren't challenging, but rather a test of 'do exactly what the devs intended or else instant death', with the punishment being a loss of time. Something that the rebooted trilogy just loves to do, waste your time.

It's a shame because I can picture everything that's been put into the trilogy put to much better use and made into something really special.

TheCanisDirus

Nov 13, 2017
I need some help. Can anyone recommend a good, well (enough) populated, first person shooter that has a solid competitive mode(s). I own R6:S and CS:GO. I play way too much Destiny 2 but PvP is an unbalanced mess.

I was thinking about picking up Battalion 1944 or Insurgency: Sandstorm. 1944 looks like a LOT of fun with the "Counter Strike mode". Sandstorm seems to have larger maps and play more like Battlefield.

Any other games i should check out? Anything popular right now i'm missing?

Veidt

Oct 27, 2017
I need some help. Can anyone recommend a good, well (enough) populated, first person shooter that has a solid competitive mode(s). I own R6:S and CS:GO. I play way too much Destiny 2 but PvP is an unbalanced mess.

I was thinking about picking up Battalion 1944 or Insurgency: Sandstorm. 1944 looks like a LOT of fun with the "Counter Strike mode". Sandstorm seems to have larger maps and play more like Battlefield.

Any other games i should check out? Anything popular right now i'm missing?

Between those two I would go for Sandstorm.

While I don't like it that much compared to Red Orchestra 2, Rising Storm 2: Vietnam's free week is still going, so you might as well give it a shot. Make sure to check Squad and Arma 3 as well.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
Dropped a good chuck of hours into Astroneer after picking it up during the Steam sale.

Really digging just about everything about it but man does it make my hardware's fans spin up like a jet engine.

Is this a known issue (i.e. CPU intensive)? I think that's a common deal with voxel games that have to track a lot of geometry deformation.

Veidt

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting, i might give that a try! Does Sandstorm have a smaller map competitive (one life bomb plant or something) mode like 1944 does?

Yep, that would be the Firefight mode, which is also the mode used for Competitive matches (the 5v5 ranked matches). In Firefight your team only respawns when an objective is captured.

With that said, not sure how easy it is to get a ranked match going nowadays, since most competitive players are likely setting up matches on their own. My recommendation for Sandstorm is purely because it's a better MP shooter than 1944.

TheCanisDirus

Nov 13, 2017
Yep, that would be the Firefight mode, which is also the mode used for Competitive matches (the 5v5 ranked matches). In Firefight your team only respawns when an objective is captured.

With that said, not sure how easy it is to get a ranked match going nowadays, since most competitive players are likely setting up matches on their own. My recommendation for Sandstorm is purely because it's a better MP shooter than 1944.
I was just watching some videos of Firefight. Seems like an "interesting" way to go about a comp mode in a shooter. I do like the Counter Strike comp mode in 1944 with the buy mechanics and no respawning. What makes Sandstorm a better MP shooter than 1944. Having played neither one i'm super curious.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
Dropped a good chuck of hours into Astroneer after picking it up during the Steam sale.

Really digging just about everything about it but man does it make my hardware's fans spin up like a jet engine.

Is this a known issue (i.e. CPU intensive)? I think that's a common deal with voxel games that have to track a lot of geometry deformation.

The optimization is a mess, I'm not sure how they're selling this on Xbox. It's a cool game though, one of the few "survival" games I can actually tolerate.

BlueOdin

Oct 26, 2017

Interesting. Meanwhile it feels like the coverage of Kickstarter has gone much more silent in the way of either reporting on successes (or mentioning it in a review) or promising projects.

Seems like everyone was quick to call it not viable for games once John Videogame, creator of a videogame of your childhood, promised you everything for a new game and then didn't deliver on it. Seen a lot of smaller projects with a much more smaller and probably more realistic scope.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
The thing with games journalism, forums and thus also public perception is that a single megaproject gets the same amount of attention as a 100 small ones, add to that the internets dramageilheit that signalboosts failures much harder than successes.

TheCanisDirus

Nov 13, 2017
Anyone here with Battalion 1944 experience? Watching some more of the comp mode it looks really, really good. Like a more "modern" Counter Strike. Might just buy it and give it the old 2 hr steam try lol.

bmdubya

Nov 1, 2017
Colorado

There is a big fight where i have to keep skylining around and destroying zeppelin whilst those big bot things attack a tesla coil thingy. I died twice before turning it off. The difficulty compared to the rest of the game is ridiculous, And im playing on easy! I just wanted to see the game, not really interested in the combat. Also im on the joypad so im never going to be able to play it on harder levels.

Other than that ive enjoyed it for the most part. Visually its a nice looking game. Combat isnt really my thing so im just treating it as a 'walking simulator' with a bit of shooty shooty now and then.
Oh yeah, I remember that difficulty spike. I'm playing the game on normal, and it's still pretty simple, but then you get to that part and it's just awful. But I do think you're very close to the end.

Veidt

Oct 27, 2017
I was just watching some videos of Firefight. Seems like an "interesting" way to go about a comp mode in a shooter. I do like the Counter Strike comp mode in 1944 with the buy mechanics and no respawning. What makes Sandstorm a better MP shooter than 1944. Having played neither one i'm super curious.
I find Sandstorm to be a better designed game overall, with more intricate mechanics, better level design and a strong focus on tactical play. They're different styles of games though, so you may prefer what Battalion 1994 offers.

1944 lifts a lot from MoH:AA, COD 1 & 2; it's a fast-paced shooter, featuring relatively small maps and focusing a lot on twitch reflexes. Sandstorm on the other hand is a tactical shooter just like its predecessor (the first Insurgency) and the likes of Red Orchestra and Squad.

TheCanisDirus

Nov 13, 2017
I find Sandstorm to be a better designed game overall, with more intricate mechanics, better level design and a strong focus on tactical play. They're different styles of games though, so you may prefer what Battalion 1994 offers.

1944 lifts a lot from MoH:AA, COD 1 & 2; it's a fast-paced shooter, featuring relatively small maps and focusing a lot on twitch reflexes. Sandstorm on the other hand is a tactical shooter just like its predecessor (the first Insurgency) and the likes of Red Orchestra and Squad.

Ok that's about what i was getting from watching streams of both. Tough decision really. I wish there was a CS mode in Sandstorm with smaller maps... id likely go there if they offered that.

Teeth

Nov 4, 2017

Hopefully you bought the powerup to murder of crows that leaves any enemy killed while in crow-stasis to become a trap that can crow-stasis anyone who walks over it. Cuz that is your best friend in that fight. Launch crows at a group, launch rocket launcher or grenade launcher shot killing them all...now you have a bunch of traps for the next bunch. Rinse and repeat. Things only get hairy when you have to start actually jumping to smaller zeppelins to take out snipers. Only use Songbird for the big Zeps.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Whoever else likes this mode of gameplay, chrono.gg has the deckbuilding Roguelike Monster Slayers for 72% off, at least in the US. Don't know if their discounts stay the same in other countries or not...

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting. Meanwhile it feels like the coverage of Kickstarter has gone much more silent in the way of either reporting on successes (or mentioning it in a review) or promising projects.

Seems like everyone was quick to call it not viable for games once John Videogame, creator of a videogame of your childhood, promised you everything for a new game and then didn't deliver on it. Seen a lot of smaller projects with a much more smaller and probably more realistic scope.
I think part of it is, that kickstarter isn't seen as new and interesting anymore, as it's been a few years now since Tim Schafer made it a known quantity in the video game world. And even he sold his company to Microsoft, so it may not be seen as a viable avenue like it once was.

If a big name in the dev space started a campaign (for instance, Sid Meier) I'msure we'd see if back in the news, but with a different outlook from the press - this is still a thing, will Epic buy the rights?, etc.
Glad to see it's still doing well, and I still on occasion back smaller games that have yet to disappoint (Where the Bees Make Honey being the most recent)

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
With so much Tomb Raider talk in here, i'll probably run through TR and Rise again. Never played the Definitive Version of 1 and didn't get a chance to play Rise on PC (My favorite one).

Status
Not open for further replies.