• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How was the PC Gaming Era GOTY Awards?

• Finally, a PC exclusive won this bloody thing

Votes: 233 47.5%
  • Agent 47 was robbed

Votes: 69 14.1%
  • Final Fantasy was robbed

Votes: 12 2.4%
  • Anime was robbed

Votes: 76 15.5%
  • Epic Store was robbed

Votes: 101 20.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What I am wondering is why are journalists stanning for Epic?

No one is actually talking about the consumer. Its always just "the industry might need that." "Thats business" blablabla shit.

You're quoting an article about the industry, it's a developer news site, what do you expect? It has Job ads right next to the article. Of course they're not consumer oriented.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
JaseC and Bronson must have told the other mods to let us live in peace!

My opinion of this community right now is so low that I went all the way down to hell, looped back around, then went right back

Guys, this thread is getting derailed, it should be locked (so then we can open the February thread maybe).

PC Gaming Era | February 2019 - Free from Valve's Icy Grip

When the new thread is up, OP can just report this thread to get it locked like normal

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
they wouldn't have got banned if they didn't go into vitriol

I don't 100% understand "vitriol" but do you mean to say that he should of toned the language down? I suppose that's valid.

At the same time, he nails the frustration of many people here. The people at the top need to hear words like that the most to get the frustration part across.

I would think so anyway. What a strange balance.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
To be honest best move Valve could make right now is publicly ask Epic to put their games on Epic Store and then give Epic Store key to every owner of Valve games on Steam.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
Thats the thing though. People here and on those "gaming journalist" websites dont have any clue about what Valve did.

Last year so much. Thanks to them we have all japanese games on Steam. People can play games on Linux. With every controller they want. With every VR headset. On TV.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
JaseC and Bronson must have told the other mods to let us live in peace!

The crazy part is Valve actually put Orange box and HL2 on consoles! So its like the opposite of the epic situation.
Here's the thing about HL2; as is it is purchasable digitally on Steam only. Wingamestore sells it as part of a package/collection, but no other legal key retailer sells Half Life 2 keys.
I find any argument about Half Life 2 in regards to the Epic store to be a meaningless moot point, because now we're in 2019; nobody cares about Half Life.
Any such argument should be dismissed as having no reverence or place in 2019, going into 2020, because if you're client ain't even a blind copyat of the features Steam offers, you ain't doing shit.
I don't care how cheap your game is, in the end it is the consumer's choice where they want to get their game from and how they want to support a publisher, be it from buying directly on Steam so that game cna show up in the activity feed, or by going to that publisher's website and buying directly from there so that that publisher could get the maximum revenue from a purchase.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Really starting to enjoy Big Picture Mode.

Also, HITMAN 2 is so fucking good. Only that game could have me replay levels and not be bored.

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
How many articles praising Epic Gamesindustry can make in a week?

Same author:

nwwG0Hz.png

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
I think the Epic Store is generally fine. I don't use it, but so far it hasn't really bothered me.

They can't afford to pay for exclusives indefinitely. There comes a point where they'll either fail to take off, or they'll become a legitimate storefront.

And either way, it will force Steam to change. Whether that means new policies, client or API features, or both. Even without Epic, the AAA publishers were already going to leave; this maybe just speeds up the process.

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how people get banned. I've been super vocal and have definitely pissed a few people off (including at least 1 mod I'm sure) and haven't even been warned.

Just try to explain yourself and don't be actively hostile and it's fine.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
And either way, it will force Steam to change. Whether that means new policies, client or API features, or both. Even without Epic, the AAA publishers were already going to leave; this maybe just speeds up the process.

But even without the Epic Store, so many new policies, API changes etc. were worked on last year. The argument that "Valve is just sitting on their asses" is just false.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
I got warned by Morrigan once for "reeeeeeee." Called it "ableist" language.

Had to google what that was at the time. Thought she was making up English lol.

Can't meme with reeee on Era. Or maybe it just depends on who punches your ticket.
I dont even know what reee means tbh, just seen it on Reddit

I'll edit it out if its a shitty thing

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Can't meme with reeee on Era. Or maybe it just depends on who punches your ticket.

Yeah, using autism memes is making you look real good in this example.

Deleted member 1759

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Europe
I dont even know what reee means tbh, just seen it on Reddit

I'll edit it out if its a shitty thing
It's some 4chan shit or something
Yeah, using autism memes is making you look real good in this example.
"REEEE" is the sound effect that goes with the "autistic screeching" meme. It's pretty maddening for some people who are actually autistic
oh. OH. shit

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"REEEE" is the sound effect that goes with the "autistic screeching" meme. It's pretty maddening for some people who are actually autistic

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
I fully expect Epic to increase its cut soon after the well earmarked for exclusivity deals does run dry and it stops courting developers/publishers. That customers are being asked to cover payment processing fees makes it abundantly clear that 12% isn't sustainable long-term.

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
It's all over Era sanctioned discords. That's where I picked it up from in the first place. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I knew of it's situational use and not it's origin. Like 90% or more of the English I learned lol.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
I fully expect Epic to increase its cut soon after the well earmarked for exclusivity deals does run dry and it stops courting developers/publishers. That customers are being asked to cover payment processing fees makes it abundantly clear that 12% isn't sustainable long-term.

Didnt Epic already say that the 5% to Influencers will be relayed to the devs in 2 years?

What I do not get is why no one really compares storefronts besides some smaller websites. The big ones all feel like they write the same article over and over again, like a Reuters article that is rewritten for newspapers.

BlueOdin

Oct 26, 2017
How many articles praising Epic Gamesindustry can make in a week?

This article also brings the point with "it's a free launcher!" which I'm always baffled when it comes up. The client/launcher may be free but they want me to invest in their ecosystem which for most of the games they offer costs money. And so far Epic does nothing but locking up games that makes me want to do that.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
My opinion of this community right now is so low that I went all the way down to hell, looped back around, then went right back

When the new thread is up, OP can just report this thread to get it locked like normal
AnotherBlackandwhiteBorzoi-size_restricted.gif

(joking)

Still, cant consider you a real PC Gamer until you tell us a crazy CK2 story.

That meme is making fun of people with autism. Ableism is making fun of people with disabilities.

LatscherGnu

Apr 23, 2018

i had no idea that was a meme with some sort of background, i know we used it way back (long before someone discovered autistic/autism makes for a "good" insult) as an emphasized "re" for "i'm back", "welcome back" etc... good to know

Zellia

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
The biggest thing about the Epic store for me right now is that it has nothing that's actually going to make me install their client (never played Fortnite, never will) and suffer through their strictly inferior store. I'm practically drowning in a sea of games that all compete for my limited time, and so far what they've got just makes me shrug and go 'oh, that's a shame, guess I'll play in 2020'.

Admittedly, if they moneyhatted something I was super hyped for, that would be a much harder decision.

Edit: Also didn't know reee was the autistic screeching thing, yeah that's kinda bad. For some reason I always assumed it came from the JoJo wrrrryyyyyyy thing.

Digoman

Oct 27, 2017

Even if you take the questionable quote from Tim Sweeney for what is: "We process Fortnite payments and pay for CDN bandwidth and customer service. This costs 5-8% combined in most territories."

4%-7% is a way to thin a margin to operate a store without the Fortnite money backing it up. And that's before getting into the fact that Steam bandwidth per spent dollar is probably much higher (specially with sales) and he doesn't mention any staff aside from customer service.

So yes, even with all the money they have now, sometime down the line someone is going to look at the numbers and raise the percentage.

Status
Not open for further replies.