• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How was the PC Gaming Era GOTY Awards?

• Finally, a PC exclusive won this bloody thing

Votes: 233 47.5%
  • Agent 47 was robbed

Votes: 69 14.1%
  • Final Fantasy was robbed

Votes: 12 2.4%
  • Anime was robbed

Votes: 76 15.5%
  • Epic Store was robbed

Votes: 101 20.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
Speaking of Splinter Cells why haven't Ubisoft added Pandora Tomorrow on any storefront? If I remember correctly, lightning problems the game had were fixed a couple of years ago.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Crackdown 3 previews are out. Don't think you guys will have to worry people will flock to the Microsoft Store en masse for it. But it still looks like some good fun. Just think they should've get rid of the lock on for PC players.

PC-tan

Feb 25, 2018
In case you liked Celeste looks like Limited Run Games are making a physical copy of the game with all the CE stuff that came with the PS4 and N/S versions, it cost $60USD and I think it's only for today, they are being made on demand

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
One thing I really struggle to wrap my head around is the amount of media coverage/twitter comments we have seen questioning the validity of Steam taking a 30% cut, but I have yet to see any real questions asked about other companies taking 30%. What service is Apple providing beyond just hosting a movie for streaming on my various devices? Even more egregious is Sony posting record PSN revenues where they charge the same 30%, but also make the customers pay for features like cloud saves (it was just 10 gb until recently too!), access to multiplayer (P2P connections, shutting games down after sub 3 years), and a special tier of sale pricing. Maybe I'm missing something, but if the problem is really the middle-man percentage, then there is a much larger discussion that seems to be ignored in all of the recent discussion.

Yup, just like you said: The 30% cut is across the board but for some reason when it comes to Steam there is a need to question their take. Valve even gives devs and customers a better value for the 30% cut and with the recent announcement of free multiplayer servers it becomes even better. Maybe if people are gonna question it in the first place they should compare them with other platforms including the EGS.

Everyone just seems so completely blinded by Epic's 12% take that nothing else seems to matter.

Deleted member 10601

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It is not for every game.

oUbsLf0.png
https://www.gog.com/game/divinity_original_sin_2

lOUBmeK.png
https://www.gog.com/game/factorio

Ah, ok. I wonder why that is.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Wargroove 15% off coupon for owning Starbound <3

Saved me topping up my Steam account

arts&crafts

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Crackdown 3 previews are out. Don't think you guys will have to worry people will flock to the Microsoft Store en masse for it. But it still looks like some good fun. Just think they should've get rid of the lock on for PC players.

Crackdown 1 is one of my favorite games of all time. It was just so much fun to jump around the city collecting orbs. Although I wont pay full price on windows store, if it is included in Gamepass I will sign up for a month.

Fanta

May 27, 2018
One thing I really struggle to wrap my head around is the amount of media coverage/twitter comments we have seen questioning the validity of Steam taking a 30% cut, but I have yet to see any real questions asked about other companies taking 30%. What service is Apple providing beyond just hosting a movie for streaming on my various devices? Even more egregious is Sony posting record PSN revenues where they charge the same 30%, but also make the customers pay for features like cloud saves (it was just 10 gb until recently too!), access to multiplayer (P2P connections, shutting games down after sub 3 years), and a special tier of sale pricing. Maybe I'm missing something, but if the problem is really the middle-man percentage, then there is a much larger discussion that seems to be ignored in all of the recent discussion.

There's loads of stuff that is being suspiciously brushed under the rug for Epic.

Where is the articles and threads on Epic having no cloud saves after years of them calling out Nintendo for it?

Where's the articles and threads on the always online drm for single player games when Xbox got dragged through the mud for it?

Why are threads and game journalists only focusing on Metro Exodus being pulled from Steam weeks before launch and after pre order being available for months, but not a peep from them regarding the game being pulled from other store fronts that even an Xbox exec commented on it?

What about selling physical copies as Steam Keys and then converting them to Epic Keys weeks before launch, forcing consumers to have to use always online DRM with no prior warning?

What about Dauntless converting all their accounts to Epic accounts forcing consumers into an always online DRM client without warning?

yuraya

Oct 25, 2017
Chronicles China is decent. I had a good time with it.

UplayEra should give it a try. If you like it checkout India as well it was good.

Endruen

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
The fact that the Epic Store is growing so fast while still lacking something so basic as a damn search bar baffles me.

Wok

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
France
Uplay is not too bad these days: I could choose whichever picture I want as my avatar instead of being constrained to a few pictures taken from Ubisoft games.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
The fact that the Epic Store is growing so fast while still lacking something so basic as a damn search bar baffles me.

I wonder if EGS is shooting themselves in the foot by going Money-hatted Exclusives first and Client-side Features second.

What happens when people are strong-armed into going to their storefront only to discover that the client is completely bare-boned as well as shackled to always-online DRM?

Is that the fist impression EGS wants to present people with? Will it scare off the tentative first wave of customers?

I'm following the news closely enough to know that Epic can go suck an egg with their s**t business practices. But what about the more casual user?

Epic is screaming, "Hey! Over here!!" with their exclusives, but the people they're drawing are pulled into a completely sub-par experience.

Will they be too inexperienced to care? Or will they be just experienced enough to know that what EGS is offering is simply not enough to keep them around for long.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if EGS is shooting themselves in the foot by going Money-hatted Exclusives first and Client-side Features second.

What happens when people are strong-armed into going to their storefront only to discover that the client is completely bare-boned as well as shackled to always-only DRM?

Is that the fist impression EGS wants to present people with? Will it scare off the tentative first wave of customers?

I'm following the news closely enough to know that Epic can go suck an egg with their s**t business practices. But what about the more casual user?

Epic is screaming, "Hey! Over here!!" with their exclusives, but the people they're drawing are pulled into a completely sub-par experience.

Will they be too inexperienced to care? Or will they be just experienced enough to know that what EGS is offering is simply not enough.

People won't necessarily notice at first

Wait for someone to have a technical issue with no forums to use, or a gamepad that isnt supported, or a new PC with their saves missing.

It's when things start to go wrong, is when people will question why all this shit is missing

and this being PC gaming, things will inevitably go wrong at some point

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It does not say when it comes to Steam.....
It doesn't, but I won't rule out buying it yet. The discord post seems to at least imply there won't be a Metro-like exclusivity deal.

The game looks pretty good. If it's not exclusive to Epic at launch and the game turns out to be good I'll probably pick it up. If it runs well through Proton that chance goes up.

Them being backed by Deep Silver still turns me off, but I'm still willing to pick it up if everything else turns out good.

There is another post that says "Will be available on Steam at launch".

Perfect

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
People won't necessarily notice at first

Wait for someone to have a technical issue with no forums to use, or a gamepad that isnt supported, or a new PC with their saves missing.

It's when things start to go wrong, is when people will question why all this shit is missing

and this being PC gaming, things will inevitably go wrong at some point

Yeah I think this will be a factor.

Seems like on paper it's easy to get people's foot in the door with exclusives.

But it'll be harder to get them to stay as long as the experience wrapped around those select titles is completely under-cooked.

Endruen

Oct 25, 2017
Spain

What happens when people are strong-armed into going to their storefront only to discover that the client is completely bare-boned as well as shackled to always-online DRM?

Will they be too inexperienced to care? Or will they be just experienced enough to know that what EGS is offering is simply not enough to keep them around for long.
That's the thing, it lacks so many things and a search bar is probably one of the first things you should add on an online store, let alone all the other features it lacks.
At first I thought that it was because they had so few games, why bother with it for now, ok, fine, but at this point they have more than enough games to need one.

thirtypercent

Oct 18, 2018

Developing, building and selling consoles/smartphones is so hard and complicated and doesn't ever provide any profit for Sony/Nin/MS/Apple. They must earn a living somehow!

That is strange. How come the Darksiders 3 has region pricing on EGS but not on Steam. Kinda shady if THQ is only adding region pricing on one store but not the other.

Darksiders 3 has regional pricing on Steam for some regions, it's the usual 1999rub in Russia for example. I assume someone is just not paying attention and not deliberate sabotaging Steam.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.