• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How was the PC Gaming Era GOTY Awards?

• Finally, a PC exclusive won this bloody thing

Votes: 233 47.5%
  • Agent 47 was robbed

Votes: 69 14.1%
  • Final Fantasy was robbed

Votes: 12 2.4%
  • Anime was robbed

Votes: 76 15.5%
  • Epic Store was robbed

Votes: 101 20.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
Only thing I'd like to see added is a sideway-thumb, some games are just average and deserve neither an up- nor a downvote.

I'd rather it have no thumbs up/down button, among a myriad of other fixes that'll weed out shit takes from people that'll just refund the game anyway to individuals that have a genuine investment in the product they purchased. I'm not expecting like games media tier reviews but give me a simple Pros/Cons ffs

Digoman

Oct 27, 2017
I actually find that even review-bombing can be informative, specially now that Steam offers a way to detect it. If I see that something is being review bombed it is usually pretty easy to find out why. If it's gamers being stupid or racist/sexist/etc I can ignore it or even buy the game to show some support and if it's something like what's happening now I can decide if I want to give money to the company or not.

So even when the system is being abused I still get some useful information. And when it's working as intended it gives a very nice collective opinion on the game.

For me that's way better that an opinion of some influencer on Twitch or Youtube where they usually are not very forthcoming about financial incentives.

Last edited:

JD3Nine

The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
Texas, United States
I actually find that even review-bombing can be informative, specially now that Steam offers a way to detect it. If I see that something is being review bombed it is usually pretty easy to find out why. If it's gamers being stupid or racist/sexist/etc I can ignore it or even buy the game to show some support and if it's something like what's happening now I can decide if I want to give money to the company or not.

So even when the system is being abused I still get some useful information. And when it's working as intended it gives a very nice collective opinion on the game.

For me that's way better that an opinion of some influencer no Twitch or Youtube where they usually are not very forthcoming about financial incentives.
Agree with all of this 100%

chadskin

Oct 27, 2017
YouTube
Forum impressions (side-note: I'm pretty indifferent about steam forums these days but they're still just as shitty as any other forum)
Hell I'll even go as far as to suggest curators is a better alternative than looking at general steam reviewers, shame that system continues to highlight garbage despite my efforts of weeding gimmick curators out of the system
I'm just speaking for me here but:
- YouTube is a nice addition to get a glimpse of the gameplay, but I prefer written content. I'm not very into YouTube reviews, or let's plays or whatever.
- Forums are certainly an option for just-released, larger games but I'm probably not going to find impressions for a game like The Fidelio Incident or Fragments of Him here (or in many other places, for that matter). Besides, it doesn't really make a lot of difference to me whether it's a forum post or a Steam user review. It's both user-generated content.
- I don't use the curator feature a whole lot, but that probably ties into me not really following YouTubers, game reviewers and so on.

Andres

Oct 25, 2017
So here it is, the big news from Kotaro Uchikoshi x Spike Chunsoft lmao

In case you're wondering, this is related to AI: The Somnium Files which they announced a while back so hopefully it just means we'll get more info about this game soon.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
I'm just speaking for me here but:
- YouTube is a nice addition to get a glimpse of the gameplay, but I prefer written content. I'm not very into YouTube reviews, or let's plays or whatever.
- Forums are certainly an option for just-released, larger games but I'm probably not going to find impressions for a game like The Fidelio Incident or Fragments of Him here (or in many other places, for that matter). Besides, it doesn't really make a lot of difference to me whether it's a forum post or a Steam user review. It's both user-generated content.
- I don't use the curator feature a whole lot, but that probably ties into me not really following YouTubers, game reviewers and so on.

There are quite a few curators out there on Steam that are actually collaborative efforts instead of one guy giving the thumbs up/down. I think the only one-man curator I follow is Designer Plays

Deleted member 32374

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Would any of you count HL2 mods as a completion in the 52 games challenge? I'm been sampling a few after nearly 4-5 years from last touching any HL2 content.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
Would any of you count HL2 mods as a completion in the 52 games challenge? I'm been sampling a few after nearly 4-5 years from last touching any HL2 content.

I mean, it's ultimately up to you but I'd say so! Unless it's 10 minutes long but even then it's kind of harmless to include, I think.

thirtypercent

Oct 18, 2018

I would, no shame. Not that anyone really cares anyway, it's just for you.

I'd rather it have no thumbs up/down button, among a myriad of other fixes that'll weed out shit takes from people that'll just refund the game anyway to individuals that have a genuine investment in the product they purchased. I'm not expecting like games media tier reviews but give me a simple Pros/Cons ffs

I like getting a quick overview to get me started and ignoring the useless one-liners (no matter if up- or downvote) is easy, they don't even register in my mind while going through the reviews. Removing the voting would severely cripple the system for me, for example even when games have great ratings i tend to filter for negative reviews to check if there's a trend of them critisicing something I'll hate too. Also quite a few use the pros/cons format anyway. No matter what limitations or requirements you implement, there are ways around them and the more you put in place, the more you'll scare away the average guy/gal who just wants to type a few sentences. Which ultimately is what the system was made for imo. Doesn't mean there aren't tweaks that could improve things, I'll just never get on board with removing the ratings alltogether.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
The reason I could never agree with being rid of user reviews is that taking away the voice of legitimate customers is a little unsettling to me. So many of these sites that seem to be for Epic's stance of no user reviews conveniently have forgotten the dozens of articles they have up which cite the Steam reviews as an indication that something was wrong with a game. Review bombing as a term carries a loaded connotation as if expressing dissatisfaction is a bad thing, particularly when done by a large group of users. The system can be used for abuse as any system really can, but I would posit that changes be made to how a review is posted and categorized should be the way forward.

For example, Valve could add guidelines that require a review to have a certain amount of content posted, instead of just "Game Sux 👎". Since a review can be of any different kind of nature, let's introduce categories to those. A general review could be listed as a general overview, while a review specifically highlighting technical problems could be listed as such, and so on. Have different fields that the user must fill out in order to post the review that makes them have to put a little more thought into expressing what they want to. If a user posts a review in an inaccurate category, let a developer alert Valve and let them switch it to whichever category fits best. These can still be listed as positive or negative reviews, or simply "informational" as curators have options for. Naturally, I would also like abuse protections in place so a game can't have its reviews tanked for actually malicious reasons, but that does require more moderators on-deck to manage.

With this current situation, I find myself struggling to come up with a good solution. On one hand, I want users to be able to visibly make their unhappiness with Deep Silver's decision known. On the other hand, bringing this over to the other games that 4A has made isn't a method I'm super comfortable with. But since Exodus is not on sale, it complicates things.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
You know what, I just noticed that Jim Sterling hasn't uploaded even a single content about the recent Epic Game Store acquisitions yet.

Isn't he supposed to be the bastion of pro-consumerism?

ThatOneGuy831

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You know what, I just noticed that Jim Sterling hasn't uploaded even a single content about the recent Epic Game Store acquisitions yet.

Supposedly. He might be busy with other things, but you're right that I would've expected a video on this especially after The Division 2 was announced to be going to the EGS

Ja-

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
2pHeumi.png

Metro's price for me, not sure if its a price mistake or not. Gold is $75. For comparison:

Division 2 is $60
Subnautica: Below Zero $8
Darksiders 3 $26
Hades $10

I'm an epic store believer now
Not really, but some of the prices are nice

Catshade

Oct 26, 2017
2pHeumi.png

Metro's price for me, not sure if its a price mistake or not. Gold is $75. For comparison:

Division 2 is $60
Subnautica: Below Zero $8
Darksiders 3 $26
Hades $10

I'm an epic store believer now
Not really, but some of the prices are nice

They implement region pricing now, though the currency is still in USD.

The Cellar Letters

lmayo
Oct 25, 2017
So I'm trying to enable Spatial sound for my Corsair Void Pro and everything is grayed out in my sound settings. The only option it's giving me is "Off"
I know i had it enabled before.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
That's what I'm afraid of as well. Epic has only just begun and no doubt Microsoft will soon be back in full force to heat up the fight even more.

Anyway, I've been fighting long enough to earn my retirement. ;) I 'll see you guys around!

Ooh, that's a good setup for a Rambo-style "one last mission" return! But you should stick around this thread and Meta, just ignore the rest.

https://kotaku.com/after-epic-store-deal-steam-users-review-bomb-metro-ga-1832209151

Grayson's long-standing vendetta against Steam is actually impressive, I had no idea.

'People' have been asking for competition for years, why do you hate competition? Damn lawless computer cowboys.

I'm proud to be a "hyper toxic pro consumer" gamer.

We need someone with decent Photoshop skills to shop an acid-covered cowboy riding a PC tower into the sunset.

Don't you worry, I'm sure a video on the Metro review bombings is imminent.

Deleted member 1698

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

He is probably waiting for an acquisition worth caring about. For now it is just uplay and the epic store competing for the most unnecessary purchase award in gaming.

Let them fight.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
The reason I could never agree with being rid of user reviews is that taking away the voice of legitimate customers is a little unsettling to me. So many of these sites that seem to be for Epic's stance of no user reviews conveniently have forgotten the dozens of articles they have up which cite the Steam reviews as an indication that something was wrong with a game. Review bombing as a term carries a loaded connotation as if expressing dissatisfaction is a bad thing, particularly when done by a large group of users. The system can be used for abuse as any system really can, but I would posit that changes be made to how a review is posted and categorized should be the way forward.

For example, Valve could add guidelines that require a review to have a certain amount of content posted, instead of just "Game Sux 👎". Since a review can be of any different kind of nature, let's introduce categories to those. A general review could be listed as a general overview, while a review specifically highlighting technical problems could be listed as such, and so on. Have different fields that the user must fill out in order to post the review that makes them have to put a little more thought into expressing what they want to. If a user posts a review in an inaccurate category, let a developer alert Valve and let them switch it to whichever category fits best. These can still be listed as positive or negative reviews, or simply "informational" as curators have options for. Naturally, I would also like abuse protections in place so a game can't have its reviews tanked for actually malicious reasons, but that does require more moderators on-deck to manage.

With this current situation, I find myself struggling to come up with a good solution. On one hand, I want users to be able to visibly make their unhappiness with Deep Silver's decision known. On the other hand, bringing this over to the other games that 4A has made isn't a method I'm super comfortable with. But since Exodus is not on sale, it complicates things.

Shutting down consumer voice is nothing new or tied to Steam only. I noticed for a some time now on this forum and many other places that even legitimate criticism is slowly getting labeled as "toxic" behavior.

But thing that worries me the most is something that this whole Epic vs. Steam brought to light and that is media bias and their reporting based on just PR statements from developers and publishers with 0 research. And than same uninformed readers who don't want to think with their heads spread that around. That is why we get articles like those from Kotaku that get praised. That is why consumers who express their dissatisfaction even outside Steam Reviews are getting labeled as toxic, crybabies, immature... Why? Just because they dared to say developer/publisher that they don't like their decision. I mean how many outlets reported when Valve released Proton? How many made news post when Valve added new regions and currencies? And to me this media bias is bigger issue than any of the exclusives Epic bought.

And I said this before I am also noticing more and more people giving away their consumer rights in favor of defending companies. Not only in games industry. I told my friend other day that as much as I will sound crazy I think that we are slowly moving toward Blade Runner/Cyberpunk future where corporations will run everything (they already mostly do to be honest).

So yeah in short developers/publishers want to just release game and take money with no questions asked and consumers are asking less and less questions.

Scarecrow

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm trying to come up with upcoming releases to pre-purchase on Steam before they're money-hatted. All I can think of right now is Devil May Cry 5. Cyberpunk and Control are too far off to purchase, yet.

Xclash

Oct 25, 2017
I'm trying to come up with upcoming releases to pre-purchase on Steam before they're money-hatted. All I can think of right now is Devil May Cry 5. Cyberpunk and Control are too far off to purchase, yet.

I really don't see Cyberpunk being moneyhatted by Epic. Could see them keeping it exclusive on GoG.com or releasing on all storefronts before being exclusive on Epic.

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
You know, if you think about it, EGS is truly a pro-consumer place. While Gaben wants to take every penny from you, Tim Sweeney selflessly tries to save your wallet by acquiring all these games, he tells you "don't be a hamster, only buy what you really want". What a stand up guy!

Jadax

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'll be in China for a few weeks and was wondering if any locals/expats recommend a vpn for gaming etc.

I know Chairmanchuck had one, and you gave me access to it in our GAF days, so hitting you up here too just in case you can recommend what you use.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
So if you want to support the devs, you should buy on Steam

If you buy Portia on Epic store, its $7.9 for the dev while the dev will earn $21 on Steam per sale.

I assume the screenshot is illustrating the new regional pricing. Here in Malaysia, Portia on Steam is the equivalent of just under 15 US dollars... Which is the same price it's going for on the Epic Store here.

Edit: Man, the Epic Store product pages are shit. A fair number of medium sized screenshots loading as standard, which means for low-bandwidth people (like myself, with a maximum 600KBPS download speed), it slows everything to a crawl. Also, the price being teeny-tiny in the top-right is not very useful.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Hmm, Humble says I earned a free game due to Winter sale, Desync, but I can't see it anywhere in my account. Anyone have the same issue?

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I assume the screenshot is illustrating the new regional pricing. Here in Malaysia, Portia on Steam is the equivalent of just under 15 US dollars... Which is the same price it's going for on the Epic Store here.

Edit: Man, the Epic Store product pages are shit. A fair number of medium sized screenshots loading as standard, which means for low-bandwidth people (like myself, with a maximum 600KBPS download speed), it slows everything to a crawl. Also, the price being teeny-tiny in the top-right is not very useful.
Yeah, I wouldn't recommend browsing EGS with mobile data. Even with my office wi-fi, it crawled for a bit.

Tart Toter 9K

Oct 25, 2017

It's in Jim's (And other influencers) best interest to keep quite about the EGS debacle until things settle down. Epic is promising to pay dividends to certain influencers for linking to games on the EGS.
I suspect we'll see more criticism from the people who didn't make the cut if it turns out that the influencer deal is only for the really big names.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
Wave a bunch of cheap games in people's faces and suddenly Epic isn't the bad guy anymore XD. Their strategy was always gonna work to some extent, it just was a question of how long they can keep doing it and how much they can gain in that time. Curious to see how the landscape looks like when Epic opens up the store and when the exclusives becoming less and less of a priority.

What is the price on Steam for Portia in your country? Curious to know if they lowered the pricing on EGS over Steam.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Wave a bunch of cheap games in people's faces and suddenly Epic isn't the bad guy anymore XD. Their strategy was always gonna work to some extent, it just was a question of how long they can keep doing it and how much they can gain in that time. Curious to see how the landscape looks like when Epic opens up the store and when the exclusives becoming less and less of a priority.
From the start, my main issue with EGS has always been the same, pricing and payment method. Since the last decade, I've seen so many storefronts popping up on PC. B.Net, Uplay, Origin, GOG, they're all the same, they don't care one bit about me. I can still purchase their games, but with additional cost and hassle as they never give me any other payment method than cc/paypal with US$ currency. To buy a game from B.Net/Origin/Uplay, I have to search for a local 3rd party seller and give them my credentials so they can login to my account and buy the game for me. It's a bit better nowadays because there are 3rd party keys seller like cdkeys, but they're still pricey. With Steam, I can simply go to the nearest mini market to buy Steam wallet to purchase games. So when Epic announced yet another storefront for PC and making games exclusive to their platform, I was basically gutted, because I didn't trust them to give me the same support as Steam. Now, they've proven me wrong.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
I really don't see Cyberpunk being moneyhatted by Epic. Could see them keeping it exclusive on GoG.com or releasing on all storefronts before being exclusive on Epic.

CDP has already told investors it'll be on Steam. I don't see that changing unless there's strong internal data to suggest skipping Steam wouldn't materially impact sales expectations, which, judging from Thronebreaker's almost misleadingly brief window of exclusivity, doesn't exist.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
Been reading so much about epic and steam that I dreamed the latter got banned and replaced entirely by epic in my state lol. Nightmares tsk

9 hours until the full release of Sunless Skies woot

Last edited:

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
Honestly, at this point the only thing I'm going to buy drom EGS is Condemned 2 (or other similar console exclusive that never made it to PC), which they won't bring anyway, I can survive without a dozen indie games and a couple of AAAs.

Status
Not open for further replies.