• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How was the PC Gaming Era GOTY Awards?

• Finally, a PC exclusive won this bloody thing

Votes: 233 47.5%
  • Agent 47 was robbed

Votes: 69 14.1%
  • Final Fantasy was robbed

Votes: 12 2.4%
  • Anime was robbed

Votes: 76 15.5%
  • Epic Store was robbed

Votes: 101 20.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
Alt accounts are an insta-perm for all accounts the user has.

Bless.

412747122614730763.gif

Muad'dib

Banned
Jun 7, 2018
This is being written by the same person who wrote that terrible polygon article.

Someone like him really ain't in the position to write satire

Damn shame too, used to read his stuff on PC gamer and early RPS alongside Kieron Gillen and John Walker. John Walker is still good people in my book, just a bit grouchy.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
Hah, just reading that Vive Reddit thread. It now amuses me even more that Epic are recommending Reddit as a potential place for Dev/Pub feedback and communication.

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
Anyone got any Endless Legend impressions while it's sitting here on sale?

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
So that THQ guy was a bullshitter huh? Knew it the moment he turned up in this thread. Why would a company insider show up in this thread of all places unless he was looking to spread lies. Looked like the actions of someone who knew how to best rile people up and not like that of a company insider. From "Lol, I made that tweet" to "Let me tell you something about sharks man....they eat people!".

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Feels like you can really see where Crosscode took feedback. After the first dungeon the game tends to improve somewhat dramatically. Far less "Go collect a bunch of random shit" side quests, a lot more oriented around secret boss fights / events / challenges, and there's more story for the average one too.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
So that THQ guy was a bullshitter huh? Knew it the moment he turned up in this thread. Why would a company insider show up in this thread of all places unless he was looking to spread lies. Looked like the actions of someone who knew how to best rile people up and not like that of a company insider. From "Lol, I made that tweet" to "Let me tell you something about sharks man....they eat people!".

Also why would he say anything about pending future deals that haven't been announced. Those would all be under heavy NDAs and speaking like that would be instant termination.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
You need the 52 game challenge my friend!!!

It isn't all bad. There is some pushing but your not shitting out game completions. Sample the backlog and play what grabs you, just focus on that.

I am good on beating games

In 2017 I beat 100 games

In 2018 I beat 52

So far in 2019 I beat 7 so far

Anyways, anyone know why so many games are getting a minor update?

Like I have like 80 or so games installed on my gaming laptop and almost half are updating or on queue to update

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
I see that review bombing Metro games is in full swing. But I don't think that it will achieve anything except giving more ammo to the publishers for pushing no reviews on Epic Store. Deal is done, money is exchanged, there is no going back because Epic has money to pay for everything.

yuraya

Oct 25, 2017
I see that review bombing Metro games is in full swing. But I don't think that it will achieve anything except giving more ammo to the publishers for pushing no reviews on Epic Store. Deal is done, money is exchanged, there is no going back because Epic has money to pay for everything.

Metro games have a big cult following on PC.

Deep Silver and Koch should have seen this coming. There was no chance this stuff would have just been brushed aside as an ordinary moneyhat. And its only the beginning too. It will get even more nasty closer to release. People can blame Valve and Steam all they want but in the end there is really no other way for Steam users to express their complaints towards publishers who do this type of shit. Forcing long time fans and steam users to invest time/money into another platform unless they want to wait for a year is not gonna be easy.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
There have been a new batch of reviews released for ATOM since last week.

8/10: https://www.gamereactor.eu/reviews/727763/Atom+RPG/
Good
+ Great narrative, plenty of content, smart level system, interesting dialogue, varied environments, great setting.

Bad
- Some companion NPC issues in combat, some odd translations, vague mission objectives.

8/10: https://www.gamespace.com/reviews/atom-rpg-review-the-motherland-is-waiting-for-you-comrade/
Good
  • Solid entry into the genre made popular by Fallout 1 & 2, Wasteland 1 & 2
  • Crafting, cooking and fishing!
  • Robust skills, skill tree and traits
  • Good combat system
  • A great story with tons of NPCs

Bad
  • Sometimes grindy
  • Speechcraft seemed like an overly necessary skill
  • Aiming in combat felt like it didn't do anything extra

8/10: https://www.mmorpg.com/columns/the-rpg-files-atom-rpg-review-1000013362#bhkhEUKzyrGKf8pX.99
Pros
  • Captures the feel of classic RPGs like Fallout and Wasteland
  • Strong character customization that actually affects gameplay
  • A familiar story with a unique feel

Cons
  • Graphics are mediocre
  • Void of any innovation

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Metro games have a big cult following on PC.

Deep Silver and Koch should have seen this coming. There was no chance this stuff would have just been brushed aside as an ordinary moneyhat. And its only the beginning too. It will get even more nasty closer to release. People can blame Valve and Steam all they want but in the end there is really no other way for Steam users to express their complaints towards publishers who do this type of shit. Forcing long time fans and steam users to invest time/money into another platform unless they want to wait for a year is not gonna be easy.

Issue is that these days publishers in most cases want to silence any criticism toward them and their games no matter if that criticism is justified or not. That is why you will get game footage labeled as Alpha month before game releases, Beta tests 2 weeks before release with claim that it is old build and things will be different at launch, moving reviews to day before launch or in case of some MP games no reviews before launch at all...

Steam Review system is out of their control for better or worse that is why they don't like it and claim that every review bombing is bad.

matimeo

UI/UX Game Industry Veteran
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Valve is just reorganizing the back end so all the backend files that various games need are in one place instead of each game getting them seperatly, but this means all the games need to be slightly reogranized thus all the tiny tiny updates.

I was starting to get concerned with all the pending verifications lol.

yuraya

Oct 25, 2017
Issue is that these days publishers in most cases want to silence any criticism toward them and their games no matter if that criticism is justified or not. That is why you will get game footage labeled as Alpha month before game releases, Beta tests 2 weeks before release with claim that it is old build and things will be different at launch, moving reviews to day before launch or in case of some MP games no reviews before launch at all...

Steam Review system is out of their control for better or worse that is why they don't like it and claim that every review bombing is bad.

Developers are gonna have to deal with it. Trying to silence people who pay your bills every month is just a stupid hill do die on.

Last I checked RE2 has nearly 8k reviews on steam with 96% positive.

My time at Portia with nearly 8k as well and 92% positive.

Gris came out just last month now nearly 4k reviews with 95% positive.

This whole Steam users are toxic movement is complete horseshit and instead of doing everything you can to constantly piss off the community...Devs need to learn from their mistakes and do better next time.

Release a decent game and price it right while avoiding bad pr. Steam is really not that hard.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
This whole Steam users are toxic movement is complete horseshit and instead of doing everything you can to constantly piss off the community...Devs need to learn from their mistakes and do better next time.

Of course its overblown.
For every "Review bombing" you have thousands of other games getting legit reviews.

Just look at the chinese games that came out this and last month.

Bladed Fury. 1000 Reviews, very positive. (83%)
Bright Memory. 5500 Reviews, (95%)
Bloody Spell. 723 reviews, very positive (78%)
The Invisible Guardian. 1535 reviews, very positive (90%).

Thats the thing. Maybe its not a "toxic userbase", but legitimate criticism about your own game.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Developers are gonna have to deal with it. Trying to silence people who pay your bills every month is just a stupid hill do die on.

Last I checked RE2 has nearly 8k reviews on steam with 96% positive.

My time at Portia with nearly 8k as well and 92% positive.

Gris came out just last month now nearly 4k reviews with 95% positive.

Release a decent game and price it right while avoiding bad pr. Steam is really not that hard.
Of course its overblown.
For every "Review bombing" you have thousands of other games getting legit reviews.

Just look at the chinese games that came out this and last month.

Bladed Fury. 1000 Reviews, very positive. (83%)
Bright Memory. 5500 Reviews, (95%)
Bloody Spell. 723 reviews, very positive (78%)
The Invisible Guardian. 1535 reviews, very positive (90%).

Thats the thing. Maybe its not a "toxic userbase", but legitimate criticism about your own game.

We can point to that all year but it is enough for just one mainstream article to say review bombing is an issue that will gain more traction than anything we do. As I said articles about PC gaming are all written without research. Most of the time they are based on what developers/publishers claim and that's it.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
We can point to that all year but it is enough for just one mainstream article to say review bombing is an issue that will gain more traction than anything we do. As I said articles about PC gaming are all written without research. Most of the time they are based on what developers/publishers claim and that's it.

The thing is that it IS a problem for like lets say 3 games every year or whatever, ignoring all the other 700 good games that release every year (just look at Tizocs list).

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
The thing is that it IS a problem for like lets say 3 games every year or whatever, ignoring all the other 700 good games that release every year (just look at Tizocs list).

I am not saying that there are no cases of abuse. Everything that can will be abused at one point. But in this case minimal percentage is presented as store wide issue. And damage is already done as we can see, more and more developers don't like Steam Reviews, or anything that gives customers power.

But whenever someone tells me how Steam Reviews are bad I ask them in what state is Black Ops 4 right now on PC and I am still waiting for answer. Meanwhile I can go to R6 Siege Steam Store page and get my answer right away (player count, balance, bugs...).

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Ive not gotten any of the dlc, as someone not familiar woth the genre should i still hold off to see if id lile the gameplay well enough to explore the dlc?
I would say waiting is a good idea. Each expansion adds a big new mechanic with a new race that plays well with it, so it is better to know if you like the game and try different races before getting the DLC.

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
But in this case minimal percentage is presented as store wide issue.
When these minimal percent of idiotic reviews published by people with Iron Crosses in their usernames and sometimes almost openly hateful to certain groups of people or developers political stances it's extremely easy to cherry pick and manipulate the audience's perception of Steam Reviews and PC gamers in general. We know this is a tiny minority of reviews on Steam, so do most of the journalists, but balanced articles don't get your website clicks.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
People never considered the Windows Store because they never improved. And because Microsoft never cared. Epic is going to improve their store because they are all in on it. The whole "buying exclusives" thing will probably stop at some point (depending on how things go, my guess is in 12-24 months) because at some point they will no longer need them if they managed to foster a big enough consumer base. And again, they don't need to usurp Steam to make money.

I don't like what Epic is doing, but pretending that they are dumb, don't understand the market and have no idea how the industry works is silly. Maybe the Epic Store will crash and burn, maybe Epic is overestimating themselves, I don't know. But all of this is a very calculated move, not some amateur "Let's just buy games and people will come" scheme. And again, I hate that they are doing what they are doing. But sadly it makes sense and I think it will work out for them.

(Not that this needs to be said, but obviously this is just what I think will happen. I have no insights into anything)

I never said Epic is being stupid. But they are trying to get people into using their store in the worst possible way (from a consumer view), and they are pissing lots of potential customers off by doing that. We'll see if this works out for them, but I really hope it doesn't.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
And here we can see what I was saying

As I said, the gaming industry just like fan enthusiasm when it's one sided.
When it's about the hype, it's so amazing and beautiful and the customers are amazing !
When it's about showing disagreement, it's all about entitled pricks.

In fact, when I see this review bombing, I'm happy and I definitely feel like it was the best idea around.
I don't care about what a bunch of hypocrites think. When a big publisher tries to enforce a shitty decision, people are like "If only we had a way to express disagreement !" "What can you do ? There's nothing we can do about it..."
But when we have a tool to express disapproval: "Wow entitled pricks !"

Before, the only way to show disapproval was boycotting a game... Which was never sending the right message since it could've mean "I don't like the game" "I dont like the IP".
But now ? We have a vocal way to express why we don't like something. And they HATE that. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.