• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How was the PC Gaming Era GOTY Awards?

• Finally, a PC exclusive won this bloody thing

Votes: 233 47.5%
  • Agent 47 was robbed

Votes: 69 14.1%
  • Final Fantasy was robbed

Votes: 12 2.4%
  • Anime was robbed

Votes: 76 15.5%
  • Epic Store was robbed

Votes: 101 20.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
jhPtpop.png

https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comm..._that_epic_is_trying_to_compete_with/ef83im8/

That's news to me. Anyone got more info on it?
wut wut wut
I may have missed it skimming that page, but what's their name?

matimeo

UI/UX Game Industry Veteran
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I hope everyone stays calm. I need you all here and available when I eventually break my gaming laptop for troubleshooting.

At least I stopped reading horror stories on Reddit about my model which so far has given me no issues.

Still working my way thru my library downloading games that I couldn't play on my older laptop.

I'm using about 8tb of external storage and Comcast has threatened me multiple times over the past few months for going over my download limit.

But I really want as many games as possible accessible and ready to go.
Biggest surprise has been enjoying games I didn't think I would and finding games I thought I would love to not be so great to me at this time.

Sometimes it's like a different personality is building my library lol.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Ai caramba, I did a quick google search and the name shows up on Atari, Midway, Telltale and Epic.
Considering the companies he's tied with in the past, I would think twice about hiring him, regardless of his talent. That's just some bad luck associated with the fellow, no offense.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
I hope everyone stays calm. I need you all here and available when I eventually break my gaming laptop for troubleshooting.

At least I stopped reading horror stories on Reddit about my model which so far has given me no issues.

Still working my way thru my library downloading games that I couldn't play on my older laptop.

I'm using about 8tb of external storage and Comcast has threatened me multiple times over the past few months for going over my download limit.

But I really want as many games as possible accessible and ready to go.
Biggest surprise has been enjoying games I didn't think I would and finding games I thought I would love to not be so great to me at this time.

Sometimes it's like a different personality is building my library lol.
Hey hombre, I notice that you start A LOT of games lately. Are you doing reviews for them or just testing stuff?

matimeo

UI/UX Game Industry Veteran
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Hey hombre, I notice that you start A LOT of games lately. Are you doing reviews for them or just testing stuff?

Working on more of a console like setup. My biggest issue with PC is this. Dirt 2 , yes let's race a bit I got 20 minutes free,

Launching Dirt 2 from steam
Oh wait even though it's downloaded it needs to do first time setup because I haven't played it on this system.

2 minutes later, crash.

Check the usual places for a fix
Need to download GFWL client okkk.
5 minutes later

Relaunch Dirt 2. It's alive!
Login to GFWL, shieettt despite where I work I haven't logged into anything Xbox in over a year ...
Type in one of my gamer tags, password auto fills, thank god!
Wait what! GFWL needs to update and reboot game
5 minutes later

Game rebooted
Relogin to GFWL
But in the wrong resolution. Let's get thru the opening crap to find settings
Found it! Adjust settings
5 minutes later

And now I have no time to really play because I have to head out. lol

So yeah I'm working on getting all my favorites installed, setup, tutorial bs bypassed.

Trying to be smart by using external drives so when I update my hardware I won't have to redownload everything.

Getting my favorite Assasins Creed games setup was exciting. I love to just pop in those worlds and mess around a bit from time to time.

Also since it's the first time I've had a system powerful enough to play most things my buddy back home who I've played games with since we were 5 years old , is excited that we can now play co op. So that has opened up a whole new side to my library for sure.

My hypothesis is if PC games are more accessible to me I might just play more.

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
Passle
Alt-account.

so much for our THQ Nordic contractor

I knew it. There are so many troll accounts that circle the Epic threads it's ridiculous. They all have low post-count, embarrassing post-history, and recent join dates in common. When I report them to mods, I include all these details and write a note that says "Check post history." I'm surprised they aren't permed. I think the biggest ban I saw was a week. I don't see the point of keeping troll accounts around, but whatever.

Naarmight

Oct 27, 2017
Fanatical have their deluxe mystery game running again, because I am such a sucker for these I did it, I now have Styx Shards of Darkness and Bioshock infinite, so if anyone has anything else from there and wants to trade hit me up.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
I knew it. There are so many troll accounts that circle the Epic threads it's ridiculous. They all have low post-count, embarrassing post-history, and recent join dates in common. When I report them to mods, I include all these details and write a note that says "Check post history." I'm surprised they aren't permed. I think the biggest ban I saw was a week. I don't see the point of keeping troll accounts around, but whatever.

At this point it's not troll accounts.

It's astroturfing

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Working on more of a console like setup. My biggest issue with PC is this. Dirt 2 , yes let's race a bit I got 20 minutes free,

Launching Dirt 2 from steam
Oh wait even though it's downloaded it needs to do first time setup because I haven't played it on this system.

2 minutes later, crash.

Check the usual places for a fix
Need to download GFWL client okkk.
5 minutes later

Relaunch Dirt 2. It's alive!
Login to GFWL, shieettt despite where I work I haven't logged into anything Xbox in over a year ...
Type in one of my gamer tags, password auto fills, thank god!
Wait what! GFWL needs to update and reboot game
5 minutes later

Game rebooted
Relogin to GFWL
But in the wrong resolution. Let's get thru the opening crap to find settings
Found it! Adjust settings
5 minutes later

And now I have no time to really play because I have to head out. lol

So yeah I'm working on getting all my favorites installed, setup, tutorial bs bypassed.

Trying to be smart by using external drives so when I update my hardware I won't have to redownload everything.

Getting my favorite Assasins Creed games setup was exciting. I love to just pop in those worlds and mess around a bit from time to time.

Also since it's the first time I've had a system powerful enough to play most things my buddy back home who I've played games with since we were 5 years old , is excited that we can now play co op. So that has opened up a whole new side to my library for sure.

My hypothesis is if PC games are more accessible to me I might just play more.
Neato, but I'd say this issue you mentioned is mainly for games that didn't rid themselves of GFWL, but I'd assume for any other game you'd be able to run them without issues.

arts&crafts

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
There is a guy in the other thread that is adamant that Valve did the same thing as Epic by making Half-Life 2 Steam exclusive. We have now seen everything.

ThirtyFour

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't really bothering with Resident Evil 2 but just downloaded and played the demo.

Damn, that's a strong demo.

Deleted member 32374

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Damn. Discussion about valve around here seems to be a shitshow. (Not in this thread but elsewhere) Like fuck, the hate boner for PC gaming is real. Maybe people think that all of us are loaded or pirate things.

Lol at the alt account.

Mad

Oct 25, 2017
My theory is that once all of the game companies release their own game launcher/storefront they will join forces like voltron or captain planet and form up to create the ultimate pc game launcher:
oTQyvV7.png

Parsnip

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Well, in other news, I gave a good another shot to TIS-100.

And got stuck exactly on the same level as last time.
It's probably safe to assume that EXAPUNKS would result in the very same outcome.

Wok

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
France
Is there an issue with the Epic library? Mine does not seem to be loading.

VtZx5PB.png

Edit: I cannot buy anything either. The button to purchase a game is "loading" forever.

KmWriVq.png

thirtypercent

Oct 18, 2018
Rabid Steam cowboys trying to shut down competition in their toxic pro-consumer fight?

I don't think they even get 12%. There's still the fees from the card merchant handling the transactions, which might be... 1-2%? Not much for the usual cut, but with Epic taking so little, they might be getting as low as 10% from each sale.

Apparently for some payment methods customers have to pay the fees.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think they even get 12%. There's still the fees from the card merchant handling the transactions, which might be... 1-2%? Not much for the usual cut, but with Epic taking so little, they might be getting as low as 10% from each sale.

They have consumers paying some of those fees. Which almost always have been paid for by the merchant.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
The 12% doesnt mean the profit range. According to them, the "costs" are only 5-7% , which would give them a 7-5% profit range.

But if we consider how slow they are at updating the service and how they are passing some of the costs for transactions into the consumers, I think they undercalculated the costs.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
The 12% doesnt mean the profit range. According to them, the "costs" are only 5-7% , which would give them a 7-5% profit range.

But if we consider how slow they are at updating the service and how they are passing some of the costs for transactions into the consumers, I think they undercalculated the costs.

Maybe there is a reason why places take a higher cut, maybe selling things has a cost associated with them.

And maybe Epic has been feeding off the ignorance of the general population about how markets work in saintifying themselves.

Annubis

Oct 25, 2017
Is there an issue with the Epic library? Mine does not seem to be loading.

VtZx5PB.png

Edit: I cannot buy anything either. The button to purchase a game is "loading" forever.

KmWriVq.png

Epic servers have been shit since something like 21:00 yesterday.
If they go down, you can't play, download or buy anything.

I suspected a DDOS yesterday, was I right?

Status
Not open for further replies.