• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How was the PC Gaming Era GOTY Awards?

• Finally, a PC exclusive won this bloody thing

Votes: 233 47.5%
  • Agent 47 was robbed

Votes: 69 14.1%
  • Final Fantasy was robbed

Votes: 12 2.4%
  • Anime was robbed

Votes: 76 15.5%
  • Epic Store was robbed

Votes: 101 20.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
While i agree that using the word unfair wasn't the most public relations department thing they could have said, making a big deal out of it like some do is fucking laughable.

Epic games reps and developers publicly talk about and critique steam all the fucking time, but valve opens their mouths once and it's suddenly a war crime. Please.

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
While i agree that using the word unfair wasn't the most public relations department thing they could have said, making a big deal out of it like some do is fucking laughable.

Epic games reps and developers publicly talk about and critique steam all the fucking time, but valve opens their mouths once and it's suddenly a war crime. Please.
But don't you understand. It's totally different. Epic are the ones being friendly to developers and saving PC gaming, while Valve are the evil greedy corporation who can't deal with competition.

Deleted member 32374

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Challenge confirmed to suck the fun out of games.

Its hit and miss. I enjoyed my time with Hearts of Stone but by the end of Blood and Wine I lowered the difficulty (normal to easy) just to get past the final battle. I needed it cleared from my mind!!!!

Non PC gaming related, I got past the Vamp boss battle in MGS4 and had fun in the next section.

2064 Read Only Memories seems like my speed for this week.

Fanta

May 27, 2018
The irony in Epic doing what their CEO would accuse Microsoft of doing only to be the ones to actually do it themself that a Microsoft employee calls them out on it this time.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
I played the Witcher 3 on death march and quen makes every encounter trivial. Tho it is a balance I guess when you die in two hits.

Game having both the dodge and side step made it too easy in general.

Digoman

Oct 27, 2017
Man... just reading those Epic Store threads is infuriating. People hiding behind semantics just to avoid debating facts, and even then just completely ignoring the open nature of PC gaming... eeesh.

On happier news, didn't see that SEGA gave the two missing DLCs for Valkyria Chronicles 4 to anyone who preordered or had bought any other DLC. Nice. Now I'm out of excuses to delay playing it.

Deleted member 50949

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Dec 16, 2018
I honestly give up on going to any epic thread because every time someone has to explain the same points over and over again, some either ignore and troll or are just plain lazy to read the threads.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
tenor.gif

Re buying on steam

Last edited:

ramoisdead

Oct 25, 2017
Not a single one of my Steam friends decided to last minute purchase it.

I'm proud of all of you,

I didn't buy it. It just feels wrong to buy the game under duress on a platform I want to play it on because it won't be available on said platform for a full year. It feels like rewarding bad behavior. I could wait until Metro Exodus reappears on Steam and getting it on a deep discount.

JD3Nine

The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
Texas, United States
I didn't buy it. It just feels wrong to buy the game under duress on a platform I want to play it on because it won't be available on said platform for a full year. It feels like rewarding bad behavior. I could wait until Metro Exodus reappears on Steam and getting it on a deep discount.
This is where I ended up too. I don't really blame anyone that decided to buy it though.

Last edited:

ussjtrunks

Oct 25, 2017
Started up Shadow of the Tomb Raider on my 2080. This game on ultra settings legit just blew my mind. Worth the price of card for this alone :)

DeejayDoom

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck. I just came home and saw all this shit. Well, that money will go toward other games. Next paycheck will probably go to buy all the preorders i'm interested for the next 2 months.

Also remind me to always trust bar rumors.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I should've bought Metro when it was still $25 in my Steam regional pricing. Oh well, it's not my kind of game anyway.

My only worry is Outward, the next game from Deep Silver. It's not yet available for pre-order on Steam and it's highly likely to be moved to Epic too.

Three people on my Steam activity feed bought Metro.

giphy.gif
8 people here.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
Plus the asshat misrepresents their statement. It's unfair to have such a long pre-order then pull it for exclusivity bullshit before it launches. Not unfair that it's not on Steam.

Also without Valve outright saying so, imagine the chaos today as everyone speculated what happens to the preorders and if they could still buy them on Steam.

Look at the confusion as to what is actually being sold on third party sites and physical copies.

It took awhile for everyone to realize they were preordering EGS keys that said they were for Steam.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
I got to [Vesperia boss spoiler about 6 hours in]
the wolf boss in the woods
and boy did that escalate quickly. Time to learn how to actually play this game.

DeejayDoom

Oct 25, 2017
Also, what will be next? pulling the preorders of another game and then the developer saying they will not fullfill the Steam purchases so Valve has to refund people?

Deleted member 32374

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Hopefully Valve stays quiet if that happens. Wouldn't want to upset the hyper toxic members of the steam community.

Nope. Just quietly remove the game and hope people realize that they've been refunded.

Word will get out. Through 4chan, Twitter and Reddit, the best places for all the most official announcements.

wihio

Oct 28, 2017
I bought Metro on Steam only to jack the Steam purchases up, but mark my words, I will refund at the last minute. I refuse to support Epic's tactics, as they are 100% anti-customer and that is predominantly what I care about (to be honest, I am surprised all customers don't feel this way). The previous Metro games have all seen deep discounts on Steam, so I will wait for that. There are simply too many games these days for me to care about a few that get sucked into Epic's vortex.

As a customer I WANT what Valve offers me through Steam. I use their controller, Big Picture Mode, the Steam Link, Cloud Saves, and more. I certainly take for granted their excellent servers which allow me to pause and resume without fail (/jab Windows Store), and while the forums sometimes suck, I nearly always find the answer to my questions there.

I know we have independent developers who hang out here-- I really hope we get a chance to see some numbers soon. Release your game on Epic, Steam and itch.io/Discord/whatever simultaneously, and show us the real numbers. My gut tells me none of these exclusive releases will do the business and receive the hype they would had they also pushed their software through Steam.

You will find me backlogging until this all simmers down!

Oct 25, 2017
Yakuza 0 makes me want a proper Sega arcade compilation on Steam. Even moreso now that my Xbone died and I can't even use that to buy SM2 games.

QFNS

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Hopefully Valve stays quiet if that happens. Wouldn't want to upset the hyper toxic members of the steam community.

Or they could just make an announcement that doesn't ignore a giant reason that people dislike their platform. Literally 1 sentence saying "hey you can just refund this if you don't like this" instead of just leaving people in a bad situation. They can't stop people being assholes on twitter, but they can try and give them alternatives that already exist.

matimeo

UI/UX Game Industry Veteran
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Nooo PCEra don't quote other mega corporations playing PR unless their past is clean.

I find a lot of situations "weird" that involve big corporations and you don't even have to look past this gen.

PR is having selective memory when it comes to your own behavior, while trying to side eye others. If I'm a billion dollar corporation and I find it weird then I can outbid any company I find odd and set things right.

But nah I'll just PR it up for free.

Just like real relationships watch actions not just words.

shacklesmcgee

Oct 25, 2017
Does any one else have issues with Steam Cloud and Slay the Spire?
I'm trying to play on my laptop and my desktop, but the saves don't seem to transfer over.

QFNS

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
but taking games away from another store to make it exclusive to your own is garbage behavior

It has nothing to do with what store anything is on, its about the garbage statement Valve made. The situation the publisher put Valve in is also shitty, but was not my point. Sorry if I did not express that well.
If people are mad, refund the game or don't buy it to start off with. I certainly won't. If you pre-ordered, just refund and done. Easy solution. No reason to make a statement at all except to remind people they have the option to refund if they don't like it.

Myradeer

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Epic can keep throwing money for these exclusive deals, and while I see it becoming outrageously effective, it's never going to overtake Steam if the management refuses to introduce pro-consumer policies.

ussjtrunks

Oct 25, 2017
Playing Shadow of the tomb raider I noticed my xbox one controller vibrating at different parts of the controller, what is this and do other games have this as it's kinda cool?

Status
Not open for further replies.