• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How was the PC Gaming Era GOTY Awards?

• Finally, a PC exclusive won this bloody thing

Votes: 233 47.5%
  • Agent 47 was robbed

Votes: 69 14.1%
  • Final Fantasy was robbed

Votes: 12 2.4%
  • Anime was robbed

Votes: 76 15.5%
  • Epic Store was robbed

Votes: 101 20.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
I can't with ppl rushing to pre-order this on Steam...
"Epic Store is trash but let me pre-order this game real quick on Steam to support the developers for making shitty decisions"

giphy.webp
Peeps are legit shook.

Ascheroth

Oct 25, 2017
Actually now that you mention it, they probably could. Has there ever been another game that you cannot buy on Steam but you can buy steam keys for it elsewhere? (Not counting delisted games)
This is actually a very good question.
Are they even allowed to sell retail copies with Steam keys without selling the game on Steam?

Edit: Well it looks like the answer could be "no" since there will be Epic keys on Retail?

arts&crafts

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
"Epic Store is trash but let me pre-order this game real quick on Steam to support the developers for making shitty decisions"

giphy.webp

Im shook. I have $150 in steam cash and I want to play it! If it confirmed that steam keys are for sale at retail I will probably refund on steam and buy it on sale at retail.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
the console warriorz aint even hiding their bullshittery and trolling anymore

somehow those threads have gotten worse

ZKenir

Mar 31, 2018
Valve should just disable all the keys in retail copies.
It probably wouldn't be legal, but it'd be the fair thing to do.
That would only incovenience already-existing/future customers that would be caught in the crossfire for something they have no control over, and would make Valve look like assholes when somebody buys a retail copy that is now useless.

edit: and pissing off customers would have the effect of pushing people away from Steam.

smuguire

Oct 27, 2017
lol Lashley

I had about four different posts in the Metro thread that I typed and then deleted because I'm getting angrier and angrier as the posts get stupider and less informed, so I click next page repeating "OH MY GOD" under my breath over and over and then I see this on the next page

These threads somehow get worse

actually laughed out loud when i saw it

personal tension defused

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
That would only incovenience already-existing/future customers that would be caught in the crossfire for something they have no control over, and would make Valve look like assholes when somebody buys a retail copy that is now useless.

Since retail games haven't shipped yet (i would imagine?) i was moreso thinking how that would screw up Deep Silvers publishing strategy, as they would have to effectively cancel all orders.

Ionic

Oct 31, 2017
Does anybody know if Steam refunds also refund sales tax in the US? I kinda wanna lock in a Steam preorder just in case the impressions around launch are really good, but would like to know if I can get back the full amount if I refund.

Man, I feel like a dingdong for saying just this morning that making Exodus exclusive would be such a poisonous move that it would be impossible to have happen.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
This is actually a very good question.
Are they even allowed to sell retail copies with Steam keys without selling the game on Steam?

Edit: Well it looks like the answer could be "no" since there will be Epic keys on Retail?

Nope. But some devs still do that, like there's physical game sold in Japan, that comes with Steam key. They just paid steam direct fee, requested beta testing keys and sell those, without game appearing on Steam at all. (Because it doesn't have approved store page, not visible in steamdb, no forum or anything like that).

I completely forgot I preordered the game on CDKeys. I wonder if that'll be refunded or just a Steam key or what.

Epic key or refund sounds most likely options. Valve has no reason to allow Steam keys and shouldn't.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Actually now that you mention it, they probably could. Has there ever been another game that you cannot buy on Steam but you can buy steam keys for it elsewhere? (Not counting delisted games)

Steam Key Rules and Guidelines:
You should use keys to sell your game on other stores in a similar way to how you sell your game on Steam. It is important that you don't give Steam customers a worse deal.

We reserve the right to deny requests for keys or revoke key requesting privileges for partners that are abusing them or disadvantaging Steam customers.

Q: Do I need keys for distributing a Steam version of my game at retail?
A: Whether you build a gold master or not, you will still need to deliver Product Keys for any physical or digital retailer.

Many retailers will want a self installing app package. Use SteamPipe to create a retail install package based on the depots and install script you already created for Steam. You can customize the installer with your own graphics and sounds appropriate to your brand.

If you can't or don't want to deliver the install package, you can simply deliver a Steam activation code (a.k.a. Steam key) with instructions for redeeming the code on Steam.
https://partner.steamgames.com/doc/features/keys

Edit: actually, they don't say anything about retroactively revoking keys. Plus, it'd only be harming Steam users. It'd be a bad look for Valve. They will probably not be able to do reprints of copies with Steam keys. It would be strange if Steam would allow new keys to be generated.

Oct 25, 2017
Steam invalidating keys would not only make them look like the bad guys (and rightfully so) but drive people to Epic's store. Why would they do that. People already bought the game, it's not like Deep Silver suddenly won't get those sales. The only one loosing here would be Valve and consumers.

Epic key or refund sounds most likely options. Valve has no reason to allow Steam keys and shouldn't.
There are no Epic keys though.
I kinda assume it'll still be a Steam key but who knows.

arts&crafts

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
On a happier note, everyone should add this to their wishlist. I got it for 99 cents during the winter sale and it has so much ambiance and character. Its like I am Steve Zissou hunting the infamous Jaguar Shark.

thirtypercent

Oct 18, 2018
giphy.webp

Those nasty 30% means I'm bringing Deep Silver closer to bankruptcy so sing me up. But seriously, I know I shouldn't and I wouldn't in almost any other case but Exodus is my number 1 'looking forward to' game of the next few months and the only reason I haven't preordered already was because I forgot. Also I'm not paying 60€.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
The same console fanboys go into every Steam thread and spout the same bullshit every time

it gets tiresome

smuguire

Oct 27, 2017
I don't mean to offend anyone in this thread because this is pretty much the only thread on ERA I actively look in (as opposed to just looking for news threads) but for my own sanity I have to believe that most of the stupid posts in the Epic threads come from... let's say younger people who maybe don't have a fully formed worldview, because I really can't imagine rational adults having some of the perspectives and "takes" that I'm reading.

Although I do type this aware that I am currently living on the same planet earth in the year 2019 as the rest of you.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
Steam invalidating keys would not only make them look like the bad guys (and rightfully so) but drive people to Epic's store. Why would they do that. People already bought the game, it's not like Deep Silver suddenly won't get those sales. The only one loosing here would be Valve and consumers.

There are no Epic keys though.
I kinda assume it'll still be a Steam key but who knows.

There might be soon:

According to Russians, Metro Exodus will have Epic keys. So I guess that feature is coming soon.

https://www.igromania.ru/news/80274...vremennym_yeksklyuzivom_Epic_Games_Store.html

Deleted member 50949

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Dec 16, 2018
Jeez, I'm gone for one weekend and things are already crazy. If DMC5 somehow becomes Epic exclusive then I would lose my goddamn mind. Also, why are console fanboys continually come to these threads and basically troll with no appropriate punishment?

admataY

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (2 weeks): Trolling a community thread
I konw its hard for you folks to swallow, you can be playing exclusivly on PC all your life and still refusing to curse epic name for DARING to challenge valve .We gonna put our big boy pants on and buy good games at price we think are acceptable where they are - be it steam, Epics or "Vlad gaming platform and car repais INC " .

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
I konw its hard for you folks to swallow, you can be playing exclusivly on PC all your life and still refusing to curse epic name for DARING to challenge valve .We gonna put our big boy pants on and buy good games at price we think are acceptable where they are - be it steam, Epics or "Vlad gaming platform and car repais INC " .
The game costs £20 more on Epic's launcher.

Thank u next

admataY

Oct 25, 2017
for me, its 13 dollar cheaper .
If you got screwed by the move- i respect that, thats not a universal truth . Buy when and where is right for you .

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Valve probably won't do anything with games already on store but they will probably change contracts for future games where they will mandate same date steam release of every game with Steam Store page.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Jeez, I'm gone for one weekend and things are already crazy. If DMC5 somehow becomes Epic exclusive then I would lose my goddamn mind. Also, why are console fanboys continually come to these threads and basically troll with no appropriate punishment?
Staff likes to pretend they are just ignorant or passive. Sprinkle in a lot of "but Steam is not a platform" and voila, you get a terrible-thread fondue.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017

lol.

smuguire

Oct 27, 2017

Nobody has a problem with Epic making their own storefront. The fact that you see this as Epic "daring to challenge" Steam and not Epic vs Steam/Origin/BattleNet/uPlay/GOG/Itch is telling in itself.

We all use other launchers. None of those other launchers were paying pubs to keep their games off Steam until Epic.

ZKenir

Mar 31, 2018
Since retail games haven't shipped yet (i would imagine?) i was moreso thinking how that would screw up Deep Silvers publishing strategy, as they would have to effectively cancel all orders.
I think you will still get people getting their orders cancelled, some of which might be glad they'll still get a steam key for the game, for them this would be a hassle. Somewhere some poor sods will have something go very wrong with their shops and they'll have to go through CS to get a refund (something always goes wrong).

admataY

Oct 25, 2017
Admittedly, my perspective might be skewed because I never buy games at lunch either way.
But i resent the accusation that i got no horse in this race - im just as much of a lifeless pc nerd as the rest of you

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China

Cool that you care about people in other countries who might have to pay far more and some cant even access it because Epic decided to lock their store in some regions.

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
With the recent delay rumor and the Metro news I'm suddenly very scared about my DMCV preorder on Cdkeys. :/

admataY

Oct 25, 2017
Cool that you care about people in other countries who might have to pay far more and some cant even access it because Epic decided to lock their store in some regions.
I feel your pain, I honestly do , but steam moving to my current currency been a pain in the ass, and some games are still not puchase-able becaue the prices were never updated to my local currency. like I said, there is no one universal situation for us all here.

Status
Not open for further replies.