• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How was the PC Gaming Era GOTY Awards?

• Finally, a PC exclusive won this bloody thing

Votes: 233 47.5%
  • Agent 47 was robbed

Votes: 69 14.1%
  • Final Fantasy was robbed

Votes: 12 2.4%
  • Anime was robbed

Votes: 76 15.5%
  • Epic Store was robbed

Votes: 101 20.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
In happier news, it looks like RE7 is removing Denuvo. Looks like they've removed it after launch from MvCI, Megaman 11, and now RE7. Given that MvCI was a flop and MM11 is a smaller title, I was still feeling pretty cagey about buying their Denuvo'd games, but seeing it removed from RE7 makes me feel way better. I think I'll get off the fence I've been sitting on and pick up RE2 now.
Now I need them to patch in VR and I'll buy it.

matimeo

UI/UX Game Industry Veteran
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Wait till I open my store. I'm locking Tizoc to a 1 year exclusive deal for providing his curated list of upcoming games minus horror because horror thumbnails scare me. The rest of you will get his list a year late.

*evil laugh*

On a serious note I hope people stop blaming developers as most aren't in the room when these decisions are made per their messaging. That's why steam pages are being pulled last minute because the core development team is being told much later by publishing.

Similar to what happened with titanfall and EA. No one works on another sku with no plans to ship it.

As far as indies who are self publishing I honestly can't fault them for cutting deals to be made whole as soon as possible. When your house is double mortgaged and you need to feed your family I say get paid and live another day.

Most indies already come late to various platforms but usually are much improved when they do hit so waiting a bit doesn't bother me.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
I wonder how long pre-orders will stay up for Metro Exodus.

Not surprisingly, it's jumped way up in the Top 10 chart.

It'll be one of them trophy games like Dragon Age 2.

The game's already confirmed to come back to steam in 2020, and physical copies supposedly still contain steam keys too, which makes this move all the more scummy.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
I'm fuckin' flabbergasted

That's one of the nastiest moneyhat moves I've ever seen

????

It's pretty much the same as the Division 2

Both games were announced and had steam store pages where you could preorder the game

Both taken down now.

Expect more to occur lol

I wonder how long Epic can keep moneyhatting though and honestly if it means I just have to wait , I don't mind waiting

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Ya know if SNK somehow decides to drop Samurai Spirits onto Epic store for PC, I'ma laugh my ass off.
SNK I would gladly get your games day 1, but I ain't shillin' on a store where the only option is to drop $60 for a game upon release.

This is my worry

I just hope if something like that occurs it's not a exclusive deal but a timed deal lol

fspm

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd prefer that as well, but I don't see Square Enix ever doing anything about Nier Automata or Capcom addressing the crazy amount of CPU calls in Monster Hunter.
Why would they with those sales? mh is the biggest top seller and nier did crazy good for the niche title. Refunds, charge backs where?

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
On a serious note I hope people stop blaming developers as most aren't in the room when these decisions are made per their messaging. That's why steam pages are being pulled last minute because the core development team is being told much later by publishing.
That's true, and I will certainly direct my misgivings to Deep Silver.
Of course, it's also a sad fact that a lot of the anger directed by this will hit the devs, as for most people they are more visible than the publisher, unless it's one of the really big ones (your EA, Ubi and whatnot)

Teeth

Nov 4, 2017
I have also heard whispers 5th hand from individual devs that they've been blindsided by the Epic store stuff happening out from underneath them by their publishers.

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait till I open my store. I'm locking Tizoc to a 1 year exclusive deal for providing his curated list of upcoming games minus horror because horror thumbnails scare me. The rest of you will get his list a year late.

*evil laugh*

Similar to what happened with titanfall and EA. No one works on another sku with no plans to ship it.

As far as indies who are self publishing I honestly can't fault them for cutting deals to be made whole as soon as possible. When your house is double mortgaged and you need to feed your family I say get paid and live another day.

Most indies already come late to various platforms but usually are much improved when they do hit so waiting a bit doesn't bother me.
Yeah, I never blame indies for deals like this.

I will 100% make exceptions when it's a publisher the size of fucking Deep Silver. Fuck both them and Epic.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni

Didn't matter

Both games weren't released but in preorder status, so it pretty much applies

Now with metro confirmed for steam in 2020, I can only hope that's the same with the rest of the "exclusive" deals ;p

Gevin

Nov 2, 2017
DQI50Bc.png

Outstanding move

ezodagrom

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
I wonder if the Epic bribe will be worth it in the end. Personally this is a game that I'm just not going to get until it's at the very least 75% off.

ZKenir

Mar 31, 2018
ohhhhh no. :(

Which one? The new one? Rip.. maybe I should test my copy too...
yes, unluckily I had both the text bug and some fps issues.

The former is a bug where the story text in the VN segments of the game auto scrolls (as if auto mode was toggled) without waiting for user confirmation. It seems a weird af bug as they haven't been successful at replicating it internally so far, it almost feels like there's something in the buffer so the text autoscrolls as the game goes to ask for user input. Text also advances pretty fast as it seems to be tied to framerates (which wouldn't be a problem if it asked for user input before advancing), so it's kinda fast at 60 fps.
You can check pretty early in the game, first cutscene where
Asuka is asked out by a boy while going to school
if the text goes super fast without asking for input between lines you got the bug.

I was gonna wait it out until they fixed if it was just for FPS issues tbh, but the text bug really annoys me.

matimeo

UI/UX Game Industry Veteran
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I never blame indies for deals like this.

I will 100% make exceptions when it's a publisher the size of fucking Deep Silver. Fuck both them and Epic.

Yeah people don't realize it's always the actions of a few. Rarely does that so called bonus money trickle down to developers who work on these titles.

I still remember being on a game that was not going great but had everyone crunching to get it done including last minute added resources. One day we all come in only to find out on kotaku the game was delayed six months.

Everyone was furious because obviously upper management knew but didn't tell us so that everyone would keep working crazy hours thinking the date was near.

Real slap in the face to find out online. I imagine these Epic announcements for bigger games are handled in a similar fashion.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
It seems like Epic is gonna try and pull this crap once a month or so with a big game. It's gonna be a long year I think.
Yeah, you're probably right, and sadly, most pubs will take that deal. For most of them, PC ports are just a sideshow anyway, just a cheap way to get additional revenue. So if someone actually pays them serious cash for exclusivity, they'll bite.
I assume some of them will even make it full on permanent exclusives, simply because they don't care about PC. Like that Journey port from Anapurna.

Joe Spangle

Nov 1, 2017
I would think that Deep Silver seeing a rush of people pre-ordering on Steam to avoid having to use the Epic Store would send a pretty strong message that gamers really don't want to buy from there. I think the right consumer decision is to do literally anything except for buying from Epic.

Yeah i was thinking that, would love to see their sales numbers for the last few hours on Steam.

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017

yuraya

Oct 25, 2017
It is slimey af how Epic gets to use all of the features of steam this way. While steam users can't buy the game on steam for a year.

If Sweeney plays his cards right they won't ever need to implement any features as they can just keep sniping games off the steam store in a timely fashion lol.

I wonder if Valve gonna allow shit like that going forward.

Knurek

Oct 26, 2017
BronsonLee if it makes your life any easier, you can 3 day me anytime you want.
Just PM me if you're game and I'll post a shitpost the likes of which Ban Puncher could only dream of.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
About the business side? I have no idea.

They aren't happy about what the public perception of their team looks like when they had no say in it.

Can you sniff around and find out what SuperGiant team is thinking about Hades on Epic Store month later? :D And I guess you are talking about Ashen because Annapurna is obviously took money and made move to Epic Store.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
I wonder if the Epic bribe will be worth it in the end. Personally this is a game that I'm just not going to get until it's at the very least 75% off.

For the publisher it will

Because cause and effect look at the top selling game on steam now

Plus the moneyhat monies that epic will give out

It's a win win for corporations and a loss for consumers lol

So in other words...business as usual

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
That seems like the way to go. Announce it's leaving the store for a year and rake in a ton of sales, along with the moneyhat cash from Epic.

Andres

Oct 25, 2017
Metro Exodus in now top 1 & top 3 seller.

unknown.png
LMAO this shit is so scummy. Sell the game on Steam for as long as possible, make a money deal with Epic for a year and pull it two weeks before launch, and try to look like the good guys by going "were knocking 10 bucks off for North American buyers!"

Status
Not open for further replies.