• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How was the PC Gaming Era GOTY Awards?

• Finally, a PC exclusive won this bloody thing

Votes: 233 47.5%
  • Agent 47 was robbed

Votes: 69 14.1%
  • Final Fantasy was robbed

Votes: 12 2.4%
  • Anime was robbed

Votes: 76 15.5%
  • Epic Store was robbed

Votes: 101 20.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Toast

Oct 28, 2017

I wish there was an unified place where all the game's saves and configs would go regardless of client. Tired of seeing my Documents folder cluttered with them...

That and maybe using SDL2 to get my non xbox controller working without extra software.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
dellultrawide1-800x450.jpg

That looks ridiculous but I want it.

Aw, it wants a hug.

NO!R

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hey, everyone. Got a bit of an odd problem. My games keep minimizing randomly. I'll be in the middle of an ROE match and boop, game's minimized. Happened with Max Payne and The Long Dark as well. Any particular reason for this?

Dakath

Oct 26, 2017
Hey, everyone. Got a bit of an odd problem. My games keep minimizing randomly. I'll be in the middle of an ROE match and boop, game's minimized. Happened with Max Payne and The Long Dark as well. Any particular reason for this?

So, I have a mouse with a cord that's going bad and every time it briefly disconnects the proprietary software that goes with this particular mouse pops up a message about what profile it's using, and if I'm playing a fullscreen game in addition to having zero mouse control for a second it will also minimize the game.

My guess is that you have some software that's drawing focus monetarily or pushing alerts to your notification center. Could be all sorts of things, but I'd check to see if you have unread messages somewhere and try closing programs and see if that helps.

JarrodL

Oct 27, 2017
I actually have the exact same problem recently. Are you using Google Chrome by any chance? It's my primary suspect at this point.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Just finished my 5th game of 2019.

The Vagrant (Steam/PC)

Pretty damn good - makes me wanna play my copy of Odin Sphere and Dragon's Crown on PS4 lol

--------

Currently Playing
-Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker HD (PS3)
-Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops (PSP)
-Mega Man 4 (Steam/PC)

Next to Play
-Metal Gear Solid 4 Guns of the Patriots (PS3)
-Secret Agent Clank (PSP)
-Mega Man 5 (Steam/PC)
-Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days (DS)

Completed (As of January 2019)
-Mega Man 3 (Steam/PC)
-Kirby Planet Robobot (3DS)
-Metal Gear Solid 3 Snake Eater HD (PS3)
-New Super Mario Bros 2 (3DS)
-The Vagrant (Steam/PC)

Last edited:

Ascheroth

Oct 25, 2017
Finished Pikuniku yesterday (~3 hours}.

Really enjoyable quirky little puzzle/platformer/adventure game. It feels a bit similar to Wuppo (which is also a great game btw).
Definitely haven't found all the optional side stuff though.
And it looks like it has a local co-op mode that has entirely different levels than the adventure mode.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
The last time I played Wuppo the controller support seemed incredibly loose to the point I stopped playing. Anyone had a similar issue or was it my Bluetooth solution at the time?

UltraJay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I wish there was an unified place where all the game's saves and configs would go regardless of client. Tired of seeing my Documents folder cluttered with them...

That and maybe using SDL2 to get my non xbox controller working without extra software.
I really wish saves were more unified too but trying to introduce a new place would cause there to be another competing standard.

What we need is the ability to choose save location just like we choose install location.

NO!R

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So, I have a mouse with a cord that's going bad and every time it briefly disconnects the proprietary software that goes with this particular mouse pops up a message about what profile it's using, and if I'm playing a fullscreen game in addition to having zero mouse control for a second it will also minimize the game.

My guess is that you have some software that's drawing focus monetarily or pushing alerts to your notification center. Could be all sorts of things, but I'd check to see if you have unread messages somewhere and try closing programs and see if that helps.

I've been checking, but there's nothing out of the ordinary in notifications. I've a Proteus Spectrum with the Logitech software installed. I've manually switched DPI profiles recently and the issues started cropping up around the same time. It's strange, there's just no apps briefly opening or the notification sound.

I actually have the exact same problem recently. Are you using Google Chrome by any chance? It's my primary suspect at this point.

Opera :)

Ascheroth

Oct 25, 2017
Don't know why this one is so cheap. It is a full-priced VN before coming to steam.

I guess because of the publisher SakuraGame. I've asked once why The Vagrant is so ridiculously cheap and someone told me that this is SakuraGame's strategy. Sell games for dirt cheap to make up the low price with volume.
I'm not exactly sure this is a good business strategy though.

Deleted member 3700

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
I guess because of the publisher SakuraGame. I've asked once why The Vagrant is so ridiculously cheap and someone told me that this is SakuraGame's strategy. Sell games for dirt cheap to make up the low price with volume.
I'm not exactly sure this is a good business strategy though.
Thanks for the info. Does not sound like a sound strategy to me but I guess we should be happy about it.

Last edited:

Dakath

Oct 26, 2017
It's a Steam Game Fantasy League where you bet Steam Market items on how well various Steam games will do via sales revenue and review scores.

It will be shut down less than a week later due to various scandals and user manipulations.

Ascheroth

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the info. Does not sound a sound strategy to me but I guess we should be happy about it.
Yeah, I guess it's good for us in that we get good games for dirt cheap, but I'm honestly not sure it will be good for the devs. I just can't see niche VNs make up that big of a price reduction with volume. But maybe I don't know anything and it actually works for them. Sure doesn't help the market though.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
The logo appeared when it was first trademarked, it is not new.

I would guess it is more similar to the SteamSpy-like tool they promised 2 years ago or so, that helps give information about how well certain genres do.

Deleted member 3700

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I guess it's good for us in that we get good games for dirt cheap, but I'm honestly not sure it will be good for the devs. I just can't see niche VNs make up that big of a price reduction with volume. But maybe I don't know anything and it actually works for them. Sure doesn't help the market though.
Indeed. In this case, as far as I know, the original developer Cabbit have not released new title since 2016, and their parent company has also been silent since 2017. I don't know, maybe any amount of money is good for them. Anyway, I will pick it up as I have heard plenty of good things about it. It is also a rare case in the genre as both the scenario writer and illustrator are women even though the game is targeting male audience. Interesting to find out how this influence the overall tone and story of the game.

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
SakuraGame titles are cheap, but they put little to no effort into translation quality. It's a recurring thing. Just check the reviews for any VN's they brought over.

Thankfully, if you know Japanese though you can just read it with the original text, or if you know Chinese, that's probably okay too.

The other problem is SakuraGame seemingly doesn't QA. They introduce bugs and glitches where previously there were none, or end up breaking features/functions outright.

Deleted member 3700

Oct 25, 2017
SakuraGame titles are cheap, but they put little to no effort into translation quality. It's a recurring thing. Just check the reviews for any VN's they brought over.

Thankfully, if you know Japanese though you can just read it with the original text, or if you know Chinese, that's probably okay too.

The other problem is SakuraGame seemingly doesn't QA. They introduce bugs and glitches where previously there were none, or end up breaking features/functions outright.
Oh man, now that you mention the language, I just notice it does not have Japanese text... quality of Chinese translation is doubtful, too. Going to find some impressions first.

Annubis

Oct 25, 2017

I'm more worried about those articles that came out a while ago about how they treat their main artist like complete shit.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
I'm more worried about those articles that came out a while ago about how they treat their main artist like complete shit.

That wasnt SakuraGame, but publisher of the Sakura Games (SakuraGamer, Sakura Fantasy, Sakura MMO, Sakura Beach etc.)

SakuraGame has some other shady stuff going on like putting up Storepages for games they dont have the rights (yet). They put them up while they are still negotiating or are just planning to buy them.

Myradeer

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Don't know why this one is so cheap. It is a full-priced VN before coming to steam.

The game's quality is good enough to justify a higher price, at least compared to the industry standard. In fact, I would highly recommend this at ~$2, so I have to assume it's SakuraGames being themselves again.

Of course, I've heard horror stories of SakuraGames VN translation and they apparently have made a very strange decision to remove Japanese...? (which is really weird because Steam screenshots show the dialogue in Japanese lol)

Oct 26, 2017
Belarus
Hey you filthy heretics, secret GOTY 2019 releasing today, not tomorrow how some weebs might be thought:

For the love of the Emperor of Mankind, please be good

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
Any programs/processes running in the background? Try disabling a few and see if it makes any difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.