• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How was the PC Gaming Era GOTY Awards?

• Finally, a PC exclusive won this bloody thing

Votes: 233 47.5%
  • Agent 47 was robbed

Votes: 69 14.1%
  • Final Fantasy was robbed

Votes: 12 2.4%
  • Anime was robbed

Votes: 76 15.5%
  • Epic Store was robbed

Votes: 101 20.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

JD3Nine

The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
Texas, United States
What in the world is going on with Hollow Knight in the remake category? Also, still not a fan of how they calculate PC goty. Oh well...the real awards are next weekend anyways.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Best Platform: Playstation 4, 14553 points
2. PC, 8952 points
3. Xbox One, 7972 points
4. Nintendo Switch, 6549 points
5. Mobile, 294 points
6. Playstation Vita, 228 points
7. Nintendo 3DS, 201 points
8. Playstation 3, 11 points
9. Xbox 360, 6 points
10. Wii U, 0 points

We 2nd bois and gals!
That's nice and all, but how does the calculation work anyway? I don't remember putting a platform of choice in the vote.

Gevin

Nov 2, 2017
This would explain some things

Does this confirm that MHW won GOTY for the Steam Awards as well?

I thought Valve was going to change this? Also does Kaldaien have a community privilege thing? By which I mean doesn't Steam has an option were Steam accounts have access to stuff that others don't and that's why some of them have a star next to their name? Or am I remembering that wrong? Also couldn't he just block the trolls?

Well one of the trolls took the effort of making more than 15 different accounts to harass them...

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
The response to a single player VR game from Valve would feed me for a generation.

And lol @ Hollow Knight getting best Remake.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What in the world is going on with Hollow Knight in the remake category? Also, still not a fan of how they calculate PC goty. Oh well...the real awards are next weekend anyways.
The argument is that since Hollow Knight released on Steam in February 2017, it's ineligible for GotY 2018. Since I'd wager the vast majority of the Hollow Knight votes were for the Switch version, I guess the mods decided to shoehorn into the Remakes category instead of chucking all the votes in the bin.

IMO, it's dumb rules lawyering, but whatever.

Kvik

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Downunder.
In other news, it looks like Kaldaien has been banned for 2 weeks on the steam forums.
https://steamcommunity.com/groups/SpecialK_Mods#announcements/detail/1701699309028991843

Sucks for everyone who is using SpecialK for Vesperia

The situation really is lamentable. More often than not, the existence of these cunts are preventing us who like to discuss the mod in many of the SpecialK threads without being distracted with a number of other nonsense. A few months back I was in the SpecialK thread for the DQ XI, discussing texture modding with Kaldaien, and one of these trolls come into the thread attempting to derail our discussion by bringing up an irrelevant real life detail which can be considered doxxing in my opinion. Luckily, this is one of the instances where a mod is actually responding to my reports and deleted the posts they made.

Sadly, this was obviously not the case for the Vesperia "TVFix" thread. :-\

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
Not seeing any more specific thread for this so:

I'm not getting any Steam notifications on the Steam app on iOS 12. If someone sends me a message I only see that if I'm in the app at that time. Any suggestions?

Deleted member 300

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
difference between valve and epic games.

Valve
vsizeMI.gif

Epic
DheVPqd.gif

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
The argument is that since Hollow Knight released on Steam in February 2017, it's ineligible for GotY 2018. Since I'd wager the vast majority of the Hollow Knight votes were for the Switch version, I guess the mods decided to shoehorn into the Remakes category instead of chucking all the votes in the bin.

IMO, it's dumb rules lawyering, but whatever.

Should have made a "best port" category.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
My switch is a piece of junk with sticky buttons and part of the bottom cracked and fell off lol. Is cheap tho.

Need to get a gpd win 2 after a price drop. Was going to grab one last year but decided on a desktop refresh instead.

Edit: to be clear I love a lot of switch games, just think the hardware isn't up to their normal standards

Last edited:

PC-tan

Feb 25, 2018
My switch is a piece of junk with sticky buttons and part of the bottom cracked and fell off lol. Is cheap tho.

Need to get a gpd win 2 after a price drop. Was going to grab one last year but decided on a desktop refresh instead.
When can we expect a GPD Win 3?

I pretty much never use my N/S and if Nintendo decides to unveil to N/S models, a "pro" version and a "slim/mini) (handheld only, with the joycons permanently attached to it), well that would sort of suck for me.

Also is GPD the only "viable" Handheld PC on the market? I have heard of others but those just seem like "vaporware" at this point (can I call hardware vaporware or is that a software exclusive term?)

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
GPD Win 2 takes too long to develop and when it's finally out last year, it's already outdated. It'll become an old games and retro emulator machine sooner than later (or rather, it already is). And it's certainly not cheap at all.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
When can we expect a GPD Win 3?

I pretty much never use my N/S and if Nintendo decides to unveil to N/S models, a "pro" version and a "slim/mini) (handheld only, with the joycons permanently attached to it), well that would sort of suck for me.
GPD said 2020 for Win 3.
https://www.reddit.com/r/gpdwin/comments/9t3gvw/gpd_to_launch_two_completely_new_devices_in_2019/

I just want one to play stuff like cuphead or ps2 games on the go. Plus given I have like 1300 games on steam it'd be a crazy portable library

Edit: love how choosing more options in Killer 7 just opens up a desktop configuration window while in-game

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2017
I'm going through Spider Man right now...there are some things about it that would not make me put is second. QTEs, collectathon (done better than Ass Ass Creed but still there). But it's still pretty good, wouldn't put it over god of war though.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Just finished Metal Gear Solid 3 for the first time via the MGS Legacy collection on PS3.

Man....what a blast!

Such an amazing game!

Time to start on Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker HD.

TinTuba47

Nov 14, 2017
I just checked my Steam clock and i've played 242 hours of Ghost Recon Wildlands now....

Holy shit.

Seems like this game is nonexistent on Era. People don't talk about it. People that do seem to hate it.

Personally, I love it. The game has several HUD options and when you turn everything off (especially the stupid red enemy markers) I think it's the most immersive game i've ever played. Definitely the most immersive shooter

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
I should get back to Ys8 now that it's fixed. Or at least last time I loaded it 4K 60 with no issues or flickering strobe lights in certain areas vs the launch with constant frame rate drops and crashes any time you enter a cutscene.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I just checked my Steam clock and i've played 242 hours of Ghost Recon Wildlands now....

Holy shit.

Seems like this game is nonexistent on Era. People don't talk about it. People that do seem to hate it.

Personally, I love it. The game has several HUD options and when you turn everything off (especially the stupid red enemy markers) I think it's the most immersive game i've ever played. Definitely the most immersive shooter

It might be the most severe blind spot I've seen for a popular game and there are a lot of em

Wildlands is massive

TinTuba47

Nov 14, 2017
It might be the most severe blind spot I've seen for a popular game and there are a lot of em

Wildlands is massive

When the game came out there was so much shit talked about it. Kept me away. Picked it up a few months after release and became hooked right away.

I remember reading a review on Metacritic that gave it a 2 out of 10.

In my mind it's vastly superior to The Division. As far as I know Wildlands sold really well, so hopefully a sequel will happen

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Being the true computer cowboy that i am, i am reading thru the 2000s and 2010s Jonah Hex series. Still as good as i remember then and Luke Ross drawing Hex's face as Clint Eastwood is neat.

Ya know for feb i feel like playing western game, maybe hard west due to the banner art :p

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
When the game came out there was so much shit talked about it. Kept me away. Picked it up a few months after release and became hooked right away.

I remember reading a review on Metacritic that gave it a 2 out of 10.

In my mind it's vastly superior to The Division. As far as I know Wildlands sold really well, so hopefully a sequel will happen

the PVP is seriously fun, but sadly player numbers are really low. it's like a condensed version of PUBG/Socom with some gadget use ala Siege.

Hero Prinny

Oct 25, 2017
anyone still play Dragon Ball Fighter Z? just started to get back into it, even bought the fighter pass. Apparently this will be the characters for the second season pass:
DxOw5ppUUAEBJHg.jpg

if its real this is pretty disappointing. I'd prefer ssj4 Gogeta over ssj4 Goku. Also Raditz, Majin Vegeta, and green hair who I can't be bothered to remember what is name is are really weak picks (especially green hair). If anyone wants to play, let me know.

zkylon

Oct 25, 2017
2H2YGP9.jpg

pictured: my dignity (or lack thereof)

ye my interest in monster hunter world has definitely taken a dive after reaching this grind wall. i think i've been stuck in the same story mission for like 3 hours, just doing the rising number of sidequests, but i still get twoshot (or oneshot, often) by pretty much every rank 7+ monster, and that just kinda sucks

it's also kind of irritating to have that other monster that keeps showing up and starts fighting my target cos it just means i have to go hide somewhere for a while until it leaves

you also barely get any materials now

i get the impression this is how the endgame looks and thanks but it's probably not for me

hopefully i'll get un-annoyed by this and go back to loving it, but i'm close to just booting up hitman and i never come back to games i leave -.-

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
2H2YGP9.jpg

pictured: my dignity (or lack thereof)

ye my interest in monster hunter world has definitely taken a dive after reaching this grind wall. i think i've been stuck in the same story mission for like 3 hours, just doing the rising number of sidequests, but i still get twoshot (or oneshot, often) by pretty much every rank 7+ monster, and that just kinda sucks

it's also kind of irritating to have that other monster that keeps showing up and starts fighting my target cos it just means i have to go hide somewhere for a while until it leaves

you also barely get any materials now

i get the impression this is how the endgame looks and thanks but it's probably not for me

hopefully i'll get un-annoyed by this and go back to loving it, but i'm close to just booting up hitman and i never come back to games i leave -.-

Craft dung bombs from, you guessed it, dung to throw at invading monsters and they'll go away.

Have you been dropping armor spheres into your gear? That helps a lot. Eating for specific resistances as well as getting 150 health through max potions and vitality jewels also helps.

There are also simply some attacks on monsters that you should not attempt to tank and must learn to avoid to finish quests. Eventually, you'll get to Nergigante and his signature dive attack will one shot you in every armor configuration you're able to reasonably get at at that point in the game.

One of the most OP moves in every hunter's arsenal is the dive. If you haven't learned it yet: when you're in combat with a monster (and only then), if you sheathe your weapon and run away from them and then press the evade button, you'll be able to do a dive that has a lot of invincibility frames. You can avoid damage on all but two or three attacks in the game using this. It works against Nergigante's OHKO and definitely everything 7* quests throw at you. Hands down the most useful ability in the game.

I'm assuming you're at the pink Rathian quest? Her flying tail swipe is savage at that point in the game. Got caught by it all too many times and carted a bunch as well. If you can cut her tail, the fight is as good as over though. Throw a flash bomb to drop her out of the sky and have at her tail. Should take about two or three times to get the tail off.

Last edited:

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
The Last of Us is my favorite game of all time and I've played it 6 times. Best third person shooter with unmatched tension and sound design and as someone who reads it's the most naturalistic writing in gaming. To the point I disliked Uncharted 4 because it felt like a huge step back in writing quality despite the narrative focus.

On the other hand I am baffled by the praise for God of War and found it to be exceedingly mediocre with limited enemy types, mediocre combat, and very linear stages between the boating segments. And nothing fucking happens in the game. Honestly baffled but I will defend the Last of Us to my death lol

Last edited:

zkylon

Oct 25, 2017
Craft dung bombs from, you guessed it, dung to throw at invading monsters and they'll go away.

Have you been dropping armor spheres into your gear? That helps a lot. Eating for specific resistances as well as getting 150 health through max potions and vitality jewels also helps.

There are also simply some attacks on monsters that you should not attempt to tank and must learn to avoid to finish quests. Eventually, you'll get to Nergigante and his signature dive attack will one shot you in every armor configuration you're able to reasonably get at at that point in the game.

One of the most OP moves in every hunter's arsenal is the dive. If you haven't learned it yet: when you're in combat with a monster (and only then), if you sheathe your weapon and run away from them and then press the evade button, you'll be able to do a dive that has a lot of invincibility frames. You can avoid damage on all but two or three attacks in the game using this. It works against Nergigante's OHKO and definitely everything 7* quests throw at you. Hands down the most useful ability in the game.

I'm assuming you're at the pink Rathian quest? Her flying tail swipe is savage at that point in the game. Got caught by it all too many times and carted a bunch as well. If you can cut her tail, the fight is as good as over though. Throw a flash bomb to drop her out of the sky and have at her tail. Should take about two or three times to get the tail off.
no i'm at nergigante

been dabbling at some of the craftable items i haven't tried yet, like damage boosts and poisoned meat, but not seeing much results. haven't done max potions yet cos they're hard to get but i should probably start getting on those since i feel like mega potions don't do it anymore somehow. for armor points, i've been dumping some but i feel bad wasting it on lower tier armor when i know i'm gonna get better shit

and yeah i know about the dive, the dive is super useful as u say

Premium Ghoul

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I found Dung Pods to be absolutely essential once I reached High Rank. You can get them from the Elder Melder if you don't want to roam around the maps looking for piles of poo.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
Monster Hunter 4U had a boss that required you to dive during a certain attack with no tutorial and having your entire online party be wiped was hysterical

Status
Not open for further replies.