• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How was the PC Gaming Era GOTY Awards?

• Finally, a PC exclusive won this bloody thing

Votes: 233 47.5%
  • Agent 47 was robbed

Votes: 69 14.1%
  • Final Fantasy was robbed

Votes: 12 2.4%
  • Anime was robbed

Votes: 76 15.5%
  • Epic Store was robbed

Votes: 101 20.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 300

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wish we could associate our ResetEra accounts with different services. Just found out that XenForo allows for associations with Steam accounts and this allowed my gaming clan to set up leaderboards for most played games, most owned games, most active Steam users, etc.

Another site has that integration already thats full of pc era users.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Another site has that integration already thats full of pc era users.

really, how interesting

42.jpg

JLP101

Oct 25, 2017
I just found out you can only play the re2 demo once.... what the hell? Talk about disappointment.

BoosterDuck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Monster Hunter World is going to win GOTY
Dragon Quest XI and FFXV will make the running as well
Dark Souls Remastered might too

aliengmr

Oct 26, 2017
Is Just Cause 4 worth getting?

Not really. It's okay, there's definitely some fun in there, but they forgot to add the reason (or motivation) to actually do anything. It's tough to explain, but I've been a fan of the series since the first one and this one is a struggle to play because it's so boring. It really shouldn't be, but something is just not right about it.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Not really. It's okay, there's definitely some fun in there, but they forgot to add the reason (or motivation) to actually do anything. It's tough to explain, but I've been a fan of the series since the first one and this one is a struggle to play because it's so boring. It really shouldn't be, but something is just not right about it.
Aye, I'll skip it. Got Portia instead.

QFNS

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
If you want to speculate on what will win here are my guesses: Hitman 2, Pillars of Eternity 2, MHW, Into the Breach, DQ XI.

All of those would be great choices.

QFNS

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Too few people played Dragon Quest XI and Pillars 2 here. Hitman 2 and Into the Breach are good candidate, MH World too.
Don't ruin my faith in humanity more than it already has been! PLAY THE BEST GAMES PEOPLE.
DQ XI is only like... 100 hours.
Pillars 2 is probably... 50-100 depending on how much of the awesome side stuff you do.

PLENTY OF TIME to fit those in, I'm sure.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
Don't ruin my faith in humanity more than it already has been! PLAY THE BEST GAMES PEOPLE.
Pillars 2 is probably... 50-100 depending on how much of the awesome side stuff you do.

Honestly think that's definitely part of what held people off on those games. Unless you're already super into those games, it's hard to find time for them in a year with like 100+ other great games.

Dio

Oct 25, 2017
ERA copies metacouncil

dunno if its true
it's more like: metacouncil has an infinitely smaller userbase than ERA, as it has a focus/niche(being smaller, moderation is more of a group thing, which is interesting), so implementing features is easier(at least i think so?).
anything else sounds like a persecution complex, sorry.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
I highly doubt the mods here particularly care about what MC are doing.
Don't be so naive. If more of us leave, then who is paying for Era Clear? This is a fight for the most importance resource at all: The attention of video game nerds! No means can be considered to extreme, no method could go to far.
It's fight for every post, every thread, and every user! In this battle between forums, there is only one rule:
giphy.gif

Deleted member 300

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it's more like: metacouncil has an infinitely smaller userbase than ERA, as it has a focus/niche(being smaller, moderation is more of a group thing, which is interesting), so implementing features is easier(at least i think so?).
anything else sounds like a persecution complex, sorry.

being a bigger forum doesnt stop you implementing features from xenofro., both meta and era run on the same ecosystem, era just has funding of 50x meta, so era having less features is basically down to them not giving a shit about those features ( why would a mostly console base forum want a steam integration)

and again meta was mostly founded upon due to people in this very thread (even now ) complaining about how pc threads get some suspect moderation. its not meant to be some massive forum or that that was never ever the goal and frankly never will be the goal, its mostly a small place for people to use that dislike discord for chatting and its mostly pc era users there, some game devs and community managers and some very old guard gaf users who never came to era and stopped using gaf aswell.

Dio

Oct 25, 2017
being a bigger forum doesnt stop you implementing features from xenofro., both meta and era run on the same ecosystem, era just has funding of 50x meta, so era having less features is basically down to them not giving a shit about those features ( why would a mostly console base forum want a steam integration)

and again meta was mostly founded upon due to people in this very thread (even now ) complaining about how pc threads get some suspect moderation. its not meant to be some massive forum or that that was never ever the goal and frankly never will be the goal, its mostly a small place for people to use that dislike discord for chatting and its mostly pc era users there, some game devs and community managers and some very old guard gaf users who never came to era and stopped using gaf aswell.
nothing you said is really wrong, i think i agree with most of what you said. i just found the antagonistic behavior(at least how i perceived it, which could be totally wrong, so here's a preemptive "sorry for that") with the idea of copying features. i don't think it's healthy, that's all.

Last edited:

Ascheroth

Oct 25, 2017
If you want to speculate on what will win here are my guesses: Hitman 2, Pillars of Eternity 2, MHW, Into the Breach, DQ XI.

All of those would be great choices.
I would say Yakuza 0 and MHW have good chances.
Yakuza 0 is excellent, cheap and Queen made sure basically everyone has it, lol.
MHW is great too and I assume a lot of peole played it.
Hitman 2 too I guess?

Not so sure about Pillars and DQ.

I hope Subnautica got its mentions. We'll see.

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
Is Frostpunk worth getting? I loved the idea behind This War of Mine, but the gameplay (probably purposefully) is too tedious for my liking.

TenaciousD

Banned
Mar 6, 2018

Monolith teasing that Night Dive has solved the NOLF conundrum? I remember GOG teased last year in their Noclip doc that there were new developments with the license mess.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
Lets say I am interested in a new visual novel. The first thing I see is the art that might look amateurish. I buy it because maybe the writing is good like Higurashi, which has shit art, but great writing. I play it and after 2 hours I also think the writing is bad. So I write a Steam review informing other people that I think the art isnt good and the writing isnt good. I could write "It isnt good" or "Art and writing sucks".
Its legitimate criticism and I express my opinion.
Why would some people think its considered toxic?
This is an interesting topic!

Maybe I'm being too philosophical here but I think this begs the question: are you saying the game (or the art/writing) is objectively bad or just not for you? I think it's hard to differentiate the two in many cases, but maybe it doesn't matter all that much in the end considering it's an average aggregate.

If a review is made in good faith I'd argue it's legitimate criticism regardless, and I think most people are fully aware when they aren't posting in good faith. It's just difficult to tell and also hard to convince people to be honest when they're being too emotional about it.

Last edited:

.exe

Oct 25, 2017

I might have been playing DQXI wrong as I hit 100 hours already and just got the part where

You go to Arboria again in Act 2

I've been taking my sweet time though. Upgrading equipment, talking to everyone, doing side stuff.

Last edited:

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
So i was thinking about GPU upgrade. I got my GTX1060 like 2 and a half years ago and i will look to upgrade it by the end of the year but i can't decide where to go. Now that RTX2060 is out it is almost perfect card for me because i don't plan to replace my monitor that is 1080p/60. So RTX2060 can play everything at that resolution or even push it to 1440p. But because i am graphics whore Ray Tracing performance on 2060 is not the best. And i have 4K TV so sometimes i will play games in 4K. But then we have RTX2070 that is still kinda not enough for 4K/60 and you can reach base 2070 performance with overclocked 2060. But RTX2070 has better Ray Tracing performance. But it is also 150$ more (in my case much more).

So everything points out that RTX2060 is best choice for me but it is not that future proof card. Tough decision :D

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
The RPS review made Just Cause 4 seems so, so unappealing. And that's if you cut out the half of the article that talks about the mouse and keyboard confirguration from hell. Rushed mess of ui nonsense and no designed missions.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Considering their previous line ups, what would be the estimated date for the RTX ,2100 line? I think I might wait for the RTX 2170 to upgrade from my 970

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Considering their previous line ups, what would be the estimated date for the RTX ,2100 line? I think I might wait for the RTX 2170 to upgrade from my 970

Q1/Q2 2020, but historically the Ti cards have released some months after their x80 counterparts, so the fact the 20 series launched with a Ti may indicate the 30 series will arrive sooner than typically expected. Of course, it's equally possible that the 2080 Ti exists today simply because Nvidia felt there needed to be something to catch the eye of 1080 Ti owners.

Last edited:

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017

Monolith teasing that Night Dive has solved the NOLF conundrum? I remember GOG teased last year in their Noclip doc that there were new developments with the license mess.

Sometimes a poster is just a poster. Though I certainly hope otherwise, even if it doesn't matter to me personally.

I still have both my NOLF 1&2 CDs.

The first game really doesn't hold up visually, but the second very much does, to a pretty amazing degree.

TenaciousD

Banned
Mar 6, 2018
I wish Ubisoft would show footage of the AC3 remaster. I know I'm going to be disappointed because it'll just be a texture up-res with no significant improvements. Or even worse it could be like the Ezio trilogy Remaster. :0

Still holding out hope that they do it right. AC3 deserved to be a much better game, and with tweaks it really could be. I know a lot of AC fans hate Connor, but I thought he was an actually unique character that wasn't yet another Ubisoft playboy, that suffered from cuts and a messy development. There's a bunch a cut shit in the files that really should have made it into the final game.

Animation in that game is still so good, the best until Unity which has the crown. AC4 was such a step down in terms of animation. Having played it recently, everything is stiff and floaty. The newer games like Oddessy also look super janky compared to Unity.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.