• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How was the PC Gaming Era GOTY Awards?

• Finally, a PC exclusive won this bloody thing

Votes: 233 47.5%
  • Agent 47 was robbed

Votes: 69 14.1%
  • Final Fantasy was robbed

Votes: 12 2.4%
  • Anime was robbed

Votes: 76 15.5%
  • Epic Store was robbed

Votes: 101 20.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
MRORANGE

MRORANGE

Nice thread btw :)
Oct 25, 2017
UK
7 HOURS LEFT...

UmkBhI8.png

Read the rules in post 2 first and send MRORANGE a PM to ask for a link to the Google form.

t1547942400z0.png

The categories for voting:
  • Game of the Year Award
  • DLC of the Year (Optional)
  • Early Access of the Year (Optional)
  • Turd of the Year (Optional)

- Deadline: Sunday 20th January at 00:00 GMT / 19th January at 19:00 EST

suikoder

Oct 25, 2017
I said it before and I'll say it again, trashing steam boards and reviews because of some bad apples every community has is matter of bias and attitude and has nothing to do with reality, yes, there are bad people out there, everywhere, does that mean that we just throw away everything that's good?
Steam reviews are more helpful than any other, they are much more useful and informative than metacritics. Most reviews are fine, even joke reviews are fine, if they aren't insulting.
And steam boards, as I keep repeating, are most helpful around for game related problems, sometimes even really obscure ones, not to mention that many devs are active on them and help gamers themselves if need be. How is that a bad thing? not to mention feedback devs get there, that influenced great number of good upgrades and patches games got.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
I said it before and I'll say it again, trashing steam boards and reviews because of some bad apples every community has is matter of bias and attitude and has nothing to do with reality, yes, there are bad people out there, everywhere, does that mean that we just throw away everything that's good?
Steam reviews are more helpful than any other, they are much more useful and informative than metacritics. Most reviews are fine, even joke reviews are fine, if they aren't insulting.
And steam boards, as I keep repeating, are most helpful around for game related problems, sometimes even really obscure ones, not to mention that many devs are active on them and help gamers themselves if need be. How is that a bad thing? not to mention feedback devs get there, that influenced great number of good upgrades and patches games got.

Word.

Reviews:
- My first motto: no review, no buy. Any dev who doesn't allow user reviews will not get my money.
- buyer-only reviews are desirable
- banning free-key reviews is better
- know your niche and set your expectations accordingly. A 97% game with 400 reviews doesn't mean it is a masterpiece (it could be), it just means that the people who buy this game, know what to expect from the Game/Genre/Dev. A game with 97% score and 30.000 reviewers is another matter, but it still could be only enjoyable if you like the Niche/Genre. A mainstream (AAA/AA) Game with 60 to 80 score could still be very enjoyable, the Audience is just massively bigger and there could have been a certain time where the game was broken or there was a controversy.
- And lastly, check the review overview (if possible) to see if the negative reviews were constant or in a specific timeframe.

Forums:
- there are some bad actors but it is the Site-owners or devs responsibility to moderate their forums.
- Justifying the absence of Forums because you think your audience are imbecile trolls and toxic actors speaks volumes about your views on your potential customer base. You are just washing your hands from the responsibility while holding your hands open for the money.
- if you are a dev and moan about toxic behavior on your forums, MODERATE YOUR FORUMS!

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017

Yep. Throwing the baby out with the bath water when it comes to community features is bad design.

I've been helped so much by the community forums and reviews on Steam.

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
GOTY submitted. I didn't play much, so I didn't have much to go on. I did vote for Dusk, Yakuza, YS VII, Puyo Puyo Tetris and Sunset Overdrive. Beat Saber Early Access GOTY. Epic Store Turd of the Year. I don't care if it doesn't count.

Oct 27, 2017
PIT
PC Gaming Era, I have a request.

I am in the initial stages of pricing out a gaming PC to buy this spring or summer. I'm looking to play games like Planet Coaster, Parkitect, and other such games. I'm looking to hopefully run FreeSync or G-Sync on a new monitor too. What's a good future proof set up to run those games? I'm ok with whomever as GPU/CPU manufacturer and will be booting off an SSD. Looking to spend around $1000-$1200 with monitor once all is said and done.

Thanks!

thirtypercent

Oct 18, 2018
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1452930-REG/evga_06g_p4_2167_kr_geforce_rtx_2060_xc.html

Got my eye on this card after recommendations from JaseC. This is a good pick for a 2060 right? Also, if I buy from here I can get it for $555 AUD including shipping when the Founders Edition retails here in Australia for $599 AUD.

Honestly this feels too good to be true. Why didn't I know about this sooner?

The EVGA 2060 seems to be of lower quality than the FE when it comes to materials used, it is overclocked but has a short PCB (might be identical to the FE but much shorter than other custom cards), lots of thin plastic used, no backplate, cooler is relatively cheaply made and not superior to the Founders Edition, actually a bit louder I think. So I'd say that that price is perfectly fine but not 'too good to be true'.

vitormg

Oct 26, 2017
Brazil
I've just finished GRIS. What an amazing piece of art. Thanks for the recommendation Uzzy. Ended up being my #5 spot in the GOTY 2018 list.

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't realize Beat Saber is still Early Access on PC as I play it on PS4. Would have voted for that in the EA category.

Xclash

Oct 25, 2017
PC Gaming Era, I have a request.

I am in the initial stages of pricing out a gaming PC to buy this spring or summer. I'm looking to play games like Planet Coaster, Parkitect, and other such games. I'm looking to hopefully run FreeSync or G-Sync on a new monitor too. What's a good future proof set up to run those games? I'm ok with whomever as GPU/CPU manufacturer and will be booting off an SSD. Looking to spend around $1000-$1200 with monitor once all is said and done.

Thanks!

Here is the PC thread: https://www.resetera.com/threads/the-pc-builders-thread-i-need-a-new-pc-v2.61531/

In the mean time I have a build from a while back that still apples. Since you are building in Spring/Summer, Ryzen 3/Zen 2 should be out by then and you can decide what you like to do.

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/g6rYCb
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/g6rYCb/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor ($164.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI - B450 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard ($114.57 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($124.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial - MX500 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($67.89 @ OutletPC)
Case: Phanteks - Eclipse P300 Tempered Glass (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G1+ 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($74.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $607.42
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-01-19 14:12 EST-0500

Add a RTX 2060 for $350-400.

That should be around $1000. As for monitor, I would wait until monitors are tested and find out what are g-sync compatible and go from there. I'll leave a link to Rtings which has a page that should be updated as they get more to test.

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/tests/motion/g-sync-compatible

I also submitted my Goty list. I have Crash Trilogy, Black Ops 4, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Dead Cells and Ys 8 as my top 5. Most of the games I beat this year were ones in my massive backlog.

Andres

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoy looking at the #screenshotsaturday tag on Twitter, fun to see what is coming in the future from indies.

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
So has anyone played Feudal Alloy? There's only like one impression in the OT.

Maybe I should just wait until Monster Boy comes out on Steam to get my Metroidvania fix.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
So has anyone played Feudal Alloy? There's only like one impression in the OT.

Maybe I should just wait until Monster Boy comes out on Steam to get my Metroidvania fix.

Honestly you can basically play great Metroidvanias/action platformers back to back, lol. I think I had at least one in rotation all year.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1452930-REG/evga_06g_p4_2167_kr_geforce_rtx_2060_xc.html

Got my eye on this card after recommendations from JaseC. This is a good pick for a 2060 right? Also, if I buy from here I can get it for $555 AUD including shipping when the Founders Edition retails here in Australia for $599 AUD.

Honestly this feels too good to be true. Why didn't I know about this sooner?

As thirtypercent says, the build quality doesn't match the FE, but there's not much difference between the two in practice. As per TechPowerUp's review, the FE is slightly quieter under load, but temps are comparable*:

b9a2f6c3-9419-4023-bd99-318fea811ddc.png

* The XCU runs hotter at idle as EVGA cards have an idle fan-off feature that disables the fan/s at low loads.

Last edited:

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
Is it
Pour-shuh
Pour-TEE-uh
Or
POUR-tee-uh?

Oh, so I reminded myself to play the latest Shadow of the Tomb Raider DLC today. It has some decent traversal, but is light on the puzzle solving, especially compared to the first DLC. If you play it from the campaign, there is a second half with combat/stealth. It took me about an hour to get though, but will probably be a little shorter for most people. Given that both of the DLCs integrate into the game, it makes what was already a game with a lot of content that much more impressive.

Last edited:

UltraJay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
As thirtypercent says, the build quality doesn't match the FE, but there's not much difference between the two in practice. As per TechPowerUp's review, the FE is slightly quieter under load, but temps are comparable*:

b9a2f6c3-9419-4023-bd99-318fea811ddc.png

* The XCU runs hotter at idle as EVGA cards have an idle fan-off feature that disables the fan/s at low loads.
That's good information to have. Mainly wanting to know if it is recommended. I could go with the FE but would need to be from the AU site as I don't know if the US site would work.

The MSI Gaming Z is also an option but I guess the warranty wouldn't come with it.

The too good to be true is the price of importing being cheaper. There are no 2060s under 600 AUD in Australia.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
That's good information to have. Mainly wanting to know if it is recommended. I could go with the FE but would need to be from the AU site as I don't know if the US site would work.

The MSI Gaming Z is also an option but I guess the warranty wouldn't come with it.

If fan noise isn't a particular concern to the extent that a 3dB difference may matter, then there's no need to pay the small premium for the FE. You could buy the FE from Nvidia's US site, but you'd have to import it through ShopMate or some other package redirection service, and as the warranty wouldn't apply here in Australia, you'd be up for shipping costs to and from the US should you need to RMA it.

And, yeah, there's no international warranty on MSI cards, or any non-EVGA cards for that matter.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MRORANGE

MRORANGE

Oct 25, 2017
UK
LESS THAN 1 HOUR LEFT...

UmkBhI8.png

Read the rules in post 2 first and send MRORANGE a PM to ask for a link to the Google form.

t1547942400z0.png

The categories for voting:
  • Game of the Year Award
  • DLC of the Year (Optional)
  • Early Access of the Year (Optional)
  • Turd of the Year (Optional)

- Deadline: Sunday 20th January at 00:00 GMT / 19th January at 19:00 EST[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Tried to play tales of berseria but my controls aren't working , not even on keyboard lol

I mean I can go up, down , right and left but can't save settings with ctrl, etc

My DualShock doesn't respond either but it did on first start up with only the confirm and camera stick working .....the hell

Edit: zestiria works fine but not berseria

OP
OP
MRORANGE

MRORANGE

Oct 25, 2017
UK
YCkFEUC.png

Voting is over, thanks for voting, we just got over 100+ votes so well done for everyone taking part. Results will be posted next Saturday at 10PM GMT / 5PM EST.

See you there!

yuraya

Oct 25, 2017
I think safest guess for #1 is Yakuza 0. It was very cheap and very popular among almost everyone here.

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It wouldn't surprise me.

I just hope any of the games I voted for did half decent. I wouldn't be surprised if I was the only person to vote for half of them.

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
Goddess Willing, anime prevails and PC Gaming Era proves to be not only champions of exquisite hardware, but also exquisite taste.

I guess it'd be okay if Yakuza or MonHun won though, lol. At the very least hopefully World of FF Maxima gets a nod in the DLC section.

Status
Not open for further replies.