• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How was the PC Gaming Era GOTY Awards?

• Finally, a PC exclusive won this bloody thing

Votes: 233 47.5%
  • Agent 47 was robbed

Votes: 69 14.1%
  • Final Fantasy was robbed

Votes: 12 2.4%
  • Anime was robbed

Votes: 76 15.5%
  • Epic Store was robbed

Votes: 101 20.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gevin

Nov 2, 2017
Slayed the three dragons in MH:W, hardest one was Teostra, I did the other 2 without any major problems :D

OP
OP
MRORANGE

MRORANGE

Nice thread btw :)
Oct 25, 2017
UK
3 DAYS LEFT...

UmkBhI8.png

Read the rules in post 2 first and send MRORANGE a PM to ask for a link to the Google form.

t1547942400z0.png

The categories for voting:
  • Game of the Year Award
  • DLC of the Year (Optional)
  • Early Access of the Year (Optional)
  • Turd of the Year (Optional)

- Deadline: Sunday 20th January at 00:00 GMT / 19th January at 19:00 EST

Teeth

Nov 4, 2017
Wow, i am absolutely shocked at how terrible Bayonetta's first major boss is (Chapter 4). It's so unbelievably poorly designed. It checks all the boxes for "who designed this?"

- Boss uses player mechanics different from every other battle? Check.
- lock and key style QTEs that control the trigger points and sequencing of the battle? Check.
- Vague hit boxes and unclear tells? Check.
- Impossible to judge damage zones (lava that just appears out of nowhere)? Check.
- Camera that obscures attack tells (constantly tilting towards the lava with the boss out of frame). Check.

It is hard to comprehend how anyone thought this was good.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
My latest "road less traveled" due to my "no new games until Black Friday" pledge is playing Far Cry 2...on console. I've tried playing it a few times on PC, but I really just wanted to play it with a controller with proper button prompts, and it doesn't have modern controller support. So I would either map the buttons but not get prompts or use kbm, neither of which made me happy. Achievement don't hurt, either.

It just came out backward compatible on games with gold, so here I am. I've already made it farther than ever, which is a whopping 12% complete. A few surprising things I've already seen:
- an entire huge tree on fire - I do wish I could have taken a screenshot, but the BC functionality doesn't appear to work right with this game (PC:1, xbox:0)
- an dead body that ragdolled its arm through a detached car door window with zero clipping
- several barrels that exploded sky high with some great looking physics

On the other hand, it has some of the worst NPC animations I can imagine for a game that has so many great things going for it. Enemies getting out of truck turrets just magically warp out, and when enemies switch their weapons they just stand still like dummies while the weapons appear and disappear. Makes for a very good opportunity to kill them, although they are pretty good about hiding in cover and moving while shooting.

I also played through the campaign of Strange Brigade which was decent enough. I bet it would be a lot more fun with friends. The level design is pretty good, but they didn't do a great job of introducing new traps for the arena style battles or new puzzle types, so the gameplay started to feel pretty tired outside of some boss fights.

Teeth

Nov 4, 2017
My favourite quirk of Far Cry 2 is that all of the characters speak in fast forward with no breaks between sentences because they had to massively chop down the sound files to fit on a 360 disk.

Oct 25, 2017
Taiwan
My phone said something about GOG has a gift for you, but my phone being typical thing didn't work and I cna't find it now lol....

Wonder if it was an actual gift or not.

Knurek

Oct 26, 2017
My favourite quirk of Far Cry 2 is that all of the characters speak in fast forward with no breaks between sentences because they had to massively chop down the sound files to fit on a 360 disk.
That's not how audio should work, ffs.
Even if X360 didn't allow for proper speech oriented codec, they still could have just resampled stuff offline to a lower resolution.
(Unless they already are at 8000 Hz mono XMAs)

Teeth

Nov 4, 2017
That's not how audio should work, ffs.
Even if X360 didn't allow for proper speech oriented codec, they still could have just resampled stuff offline to a lower resolution.
(Unless they already are at 8000 Hz mono XMAs)

Maybe it was a RAM issue? Not sure. I remember hearing it was for "technical reasons" and I just assumed it was to fit on the disk, but I just checked the PC version and it's 3.7GB, so it should have fit easily on a DVD.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017

You sure? From a technical perspective its quite easy to compress audio files that have silences in it.

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
So soon too? That's nice.
God, I need to start playing these series of games.
Is Chaos:Child a good starting point?
Gonna offer a different take.

Chaos;Child is enormously big (think 60-70 hours long) monstrosity that never justifies its length. The protagonist is probably one of the biggest pieces of shit (perverted, useless insect without an ounce of charisma or charm) you'll find in any form of fiction. The character development takes so long you stop caring about what happens to these people. Overall, it reads like a poorly written fanfic.

So, if you think that investing dozens upon dozens of hours into a VN that has maybe 15-20% of interesting content out of its entire length is worth it, than you'll enjoy it.

Teeth

Nov 4, 2017
You sure? From a technical perspective its quite easy to compress audio files that have silences in it.

The main dialogue sequences literally sound like they are being played at 1.25x speed.

See for yourself (go to 41:40 if the embed doesn't work properly. 1:16:30 is also a hilarious example):

Last edited:

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
The main dialogue sequences literally sound like they are being played at 1.25x speed.

See for yourself (go to 41:40 if the embed doesn't work properly):

ive played it, i just don't agree that speeding it up/cutting out the breaks was done to save on space... it doesn't even occupy a full dvd.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Gonna offer a different take.

Chaos;Child is enormously big (think 60-70 hours long) monstrosity that never justifies its length. The protagonist is probably one of the biggest pieces of shit (perverted, useless insect without an ounce of charisma or charm) you'll find in any form of fiction. The character development takes so long you stop caring about what happens to these people. Overall, it reads like a poorly written fanfic.

So, if you think that investing dozens upon dozens of hours into a VN that has maybe 15-20% of interesting content out of its entire length is worth it, than you'll enjoy it.
The length I can live with, that's not surprising. I also felt that, say, root Double doesn't truly justify its length, and could have easily been cut in half and been a better more cohesive game for it. It's a bit better with protagonists, as there are more of them and they kinda make up for each others deficiencies. Character development is also incredibly slow, true.
And, the fanfic comment probably rings true for most of this genre. Most VN writers, I feel, couldn't survive a year as actual book authors, outside of gaming.

Still, given all that, it's still fun to experience, even if it's poorly told drivel, at least it's silly and usually quite creative.

Teeth

Nov 4, 2017
ive played it, i just don't agree that speeding it up/cutting out the breaks was done to save on space... it doesn't even occupy a full dvd.

That's true. Maybe they play tested it and people thought the dialogue sequences went on too long?

Maybe they chopped each line into a separate file and then forgot to put proper pauses between sentences (though that wouldn't explain why intra-sentence dialogue is so zippy).

I guess it could be a style choice? Some of the phrases are so clipped between sentences, i don't even know how they would get the actors to do it.

I have no idea, but I can't imagine it wasn't a technical reason.

Someone should ask Clint Hocking on twitter.

Gevin

Nov 2, 2017
Just finished the campaign in Monster Hunter: World. Which I guess means I'm halfway through the game :P

zkylon

Oct 25, 2017
yeah honestly even with all my experience it made farcry 2 really hard to follow at times as a non native speaker

i really wish i liked farcry 2, it seems like a game that does all the kinds of emergent storytelling i love and i think the setting's super cool but it never quite captured my imagination the way games like stalker, dragon's dogma, breath of the wild or fallout new vegas did (or monster hunter world right now). i gave it a ton of opportunities but something about the tone and shooting mechanics doesn't hit it right with me

i should really play mgs5, i hear it's very good at this

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
I hope that now casual players understand old HC Assassin's Creed fans. Ubisoft is constantly bending rules and changes lore of AC to fit their current mood.

What the fuck does the old AC rules and lore have to do with this?

You don't give players choice to define their character, especially in a subject as sensitive as their sexuality, then rip that away from players. To make it worse the devs were explicitly saying they weren't going to do that because they knew how fucked up that'd be.

You made Kassandra a lesbian? Fuck you she's settling down with a guy and having a kid. You made Alexios gay? Fuck you he's settling down with a woman and having a kid.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017

You don't give players choice to define their character, especially in a subject as sensitive as their sexuality, then rip that away from players. To make it worse the devs were explicitly saying they weren't going to do that because they knew how fucked up that'd be.

You made Kassandra a lesbian? Fuck you she's settling down with a guy and having a kid. You made Alexios gay? Fuck you he's settling down with a woman and having a kid.

Heck, naming the achievement /trophy "Growing Up" is disrespectful for women as they often have to face the stigma of society of not being "real grown-ups" until they have had children. Pretty fucked up.

Coreda

SVG Wizard
Oct 26, 2017
First time ever seeing GOG Galaxy ask me about postponing an update on launch. Finally.

AWUltx5.png

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017

It has nothing to do with lore. It is just Ubisoft changing rules on the fly. They do it all the time, they can't even stick to the rules they set and things they promised.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017

A flaw was found in Epic Games login page, accounts.epicgames.com. As this domain had not been validated, it was susceptible to a malicious redirect. As a result, our team redirected traffic to another, though not in use, Epic Games sub-domain.

EGS competes in so much against Steam... Even login vulnerabilities.

Ganado

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
First time ever seeing GOG Galaxy ask me about postponing an update on launch. Finally.

AWUltx5.png
I actually hate when a launcher says that I need to update but doesn't do it before it launches, see Battle.net and EGS.

Im guessing it isnt that important to update GOG though if tou can pause it.

Coreda

SVG Wizard
Oct 26, 2017
I actually hate when a launcher says that I need to update but doesn't do it before it launches, see Battle.net and EGS.

Im guessing it isnt that important to update GOG though if tou can pause it.

The issue is it both downloads and installs at once and at times can take a while (Steam IIRC downloads the update while the client is already open and only prompts to install later). As a client for DRM-free games where you may just want to use it to briefly launch a game, wishlist a title (without signing in on a browser), etc, it becomes annoying to wait so I'm glad they finally added this.

Virtually nothing major occurs between updates anyway. I'd imagine there would be an option to disable this behavior.

Ganado

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
The issue is it both downloads and installs at once and at times can take a while (Steam IIRC downloads the update while the client is already open and only prompts to install later). As a client for DRM-free games where you may just want to use it to briefly launch a game, wishlist a title (without signing in on a browser), etc, it becomes annoying to wait so I'm glad they finally added this.

Virtually nothing major occurs between updates anyway. I'd imagine there would be an option to disable this behavior.
Yeah, thats why I'd guess it is nice with Galaxy. I always gets pissed when just right when I start Battle.net, it launches and all but then I need to restart it a minute after, when the update is downloaded.

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
The length I can live with, that's not surprising. I also felt that, say, root Double doesn't truly justify its length, and could have easily been cut in half and been a better more cohesive game for it. It's a bit better with protagonists, as there are more of them and they kinda make up for each others deficiencies. Character development is also incredibly slow, true.
And, the fanfic comment probably rings true for most of this genre. Most VN writers, I feel, couldn't survive a year as actual book authors, outside of gaming.

Still, given all that, it's still fun to experience, even if it's poorly told drivel, at least it's silly and usually quite creative.
I agree that it's a genre-wide problem (especially in the case of lengthy VNs) it's just that I found Chaos;Child lacking even compared to other VNs. Though, most people enjoyed it a lot as evident by VNDB score, so I'm just an outlier.

Deleted member 11517

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What's the situation with Steam and using a proxy?

It's kinda not really clear... basically does this already count as hiding your location or something?

Reason I'm asking is I get a lot of slowdowns with certain applications (youtube for example) and when I use a proxy those issues are suddenly gone (mind you the proxy belongs to my isp)

Anyone know?

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
What's the situation with Steam and using a proxy?

It's kinda not really clear... basically does this already count as hiding your location or something?

Reason I'm asking is I get a lot of slowdowns with certain applications (youtube for example) and when I use a proxy those issues are suddenly gone (mind you the proxy belongs to my isp)

Anyone know?

Valve doesn't care so long as you're not using one to purchase games from the store of a different region.

Parsnip

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Has valve ever provided info on percentage of games bought via steam vs redeemed via keys?
No, I don't remember them ever releasing such info and I follow Valve news pretty closely.
You can make some decent guestimates by looking at the reviews of popular games such as MHW or Dark Souls 3 that are available on Steam and other sites.
I did that not too long ago with some games and it seems that quite often about 55-65% are directly from Steam and the rest elsewhere.
That's of course making the assumption that people who buy directly from steam and people who buy offsite write reviews equally as often, which is probably a safe bet.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
I agree that it's a genre-wide problem (especially in the case of lengthy VNs) it's just that I found Chaos;Child lacking even compared to other VNs. Though, most people enjoyed it a lot as evident by VNDB score, so I'm just an outlier.

Personal recommendations for VNs? i've only played Fata Morgana and a bit of Steins Gate.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
neat, crafted this Umbrella artifact (artifacts are basically the rings and necklaces of the game, gear wise) which gives +7 attack, and it actually shows on your character (on the back with the sword im using)

780E6DBA7E1E94AC922495C7542735AD8091C0B3

game is too good.

arts&crafts

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
neat, crafted this Umbrella artifact (artifacts are basically the rings and necklaces of the game, gear wise) which gives +7 attack, and it actually shows on your character (on the back with the sword im using)

780E6DBA7E1E94AC922495C7542735AD8091C0B3

game is too good.

I started playing last night and when it was night time it was pitch black and I couldnt see where I was walking. I suppose they wanted me to go to bed because I eventually passed out.

suikoder

Oct 25, 2017

game is too good.

absolutely, I keep being annoyed that it is ignored, well, almost ignored.

I started playing last night and when it was night time it was pitch black and I couldnt see where I was walking. I suppose they wanted me to go to bed because I eventually passed out.

happens to the best of us, happened to me yesterday too and it was damn late too, I was sleepy, so it's funny and appropriate.

Puggles

Sometimes, it's not a fart
Nov 3, 2017
I know this is an old game but I'm having issues with SOMA. There is like a permanent screen tearing happening. It's always in the same spot and doesn't go away. It doesn't matter if I have Vsync on or off. Anyone remember having an issue like this when playing SOMA?

Status
Not open for further replies.