• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How was the PC Gaming Era GOTY Awards?

• Finally, a PC exclusive won this bloody thing

Votes: 233 47.5%
  • Agent 47 was robbed

Votes: 69 14.1%
  • Final Fantasy was robbed

Votes: 12 2.4%
  • Anime was robbed

Votes: 76 15.5%
  • Epic Store was robbed

Votes: 101 20.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Finished 2nd game of the year for myself.

Kirby Planet Robobot (3DS) - main story + extras

Next game I will finish will likely be The Vagrant on Steam.

Rellik

Oct 28, 2017
Yikes, why are the graphics in that Super Dragon Ball Heroes card game so...PS2 era like? After FighterZ, you'd think they'd put a bit more effort in making the animations look good. I don't expect the same quality as FighterZ, but nothing so cookie cutter like in that trailer @_@

Isn't that game an upres port of a 3DS game? Would explain the graphics/animation thing.

arts&crafts

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Its a shame Crackdown 3 is will be Windows Store exclusive. I dont own a game yet on that store and ideally do not want to start yet another account.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
Its a shame Crackdown 3 is will be Windows Store exclusive. I dont own a game yet on that store and ideally do not want to start yet another account.

I don't mind creating a new account. But supporting a store that sells games as encrypted UWP "apps" is not an option for me. I value the open nature of PC gaming more than a few MS exclusives.

arts&crafts

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I don't mind creating a new account. But supporting a store that sells games as encrypted UWP "apps" is not an option for me. I value the open nature of PC gaming more than a few MS exclusives.

Is it just published by Microsoft or is it an internal game? Could it ever see a steam release like Super Lucky's Tale, Recore, Quantum Break, ect.?

abracadaver

Banned
Nov 30, 2017
I want to play a horror game before RE2 comes out.

I can't decide between RE4, RE remake or RE 0 remake. I only played RE4 on gamecube when it came out and only the original PC version of RE like 20 years ago. Never played zero. What's the best game to play out of these?

Deleted member 1759

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Europe

I can't decide between RE4, RE remake or RE 0 remake. I only played RE4 on gamecube when it came out and only the original PC version of RE like 20 years ago. Never played zero. What's the best game to play out of these?
Don't know if it's the best but I'll start playing REmake when I get home.

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
I hope Humble releases a good Windows Store bundle today. I want to grow my library.

Deleted member 3058

Oct 25, 2017

You've already played RE4 and have not played RE:0 or REmake?

I'd say go with REmake. It's much different that the game you played 20 years ago and, IMO, the best of the 2D backdrop REs by far.

LightBang

Mar 16, 2018
Yikes, why are the graphics in that Super Dragon Ball Heroes card game so...PS2 era like? After FighterZ, you'd think they'd put a bit more effort in making the animations look good. I don't expect the same quality as FighterZ, but nothing so cookie cutter like in that trailer @_@
The heroes games have been out in Japan for a long time, that might be part of it and with the promise of 300 plus heroes and 1000 plus cards they can't rekt all their budget in animations.

But yeah, the game doesn't look great... Might still give it a try since I love Dragon Ball and card games.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
Is it just published by Microsoft or is it an internal game? Could it ever see a steam release like Super Lucky's Tale, Recore, Quantum Break, ect.?

Same situation as Halo Wars 2: developed by an external studio, but funded by Microsoft and they own the IP as well. It may come to Steam if it doesn't sell well on Xbox One and Windows 10.

I hope Humble releases a good Windows Store bundle today. I want to grow my library.

I see what you did there :p

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Wait for numbers. If it tanks on Windows Store for pc, it might end up on other stores. Or MS rethink their PC strategy again. 50/50 me thinks

MS are rethinking their pc strategy at this very moment.

But yes, ReCore is the best example; a Microsoft funded, Microsoft published game where Microsoft also holds the IP. ReCore came to Steam two years after launch, so it is possible.

thirtypercent

Oct 18, 2018

If you have a Microsoft account (which I couldn't do without anyway) you're already in. Also lots of offers for a few months of gamepass. They've regularly done 1€ for one month, good enough for those kind of games.

Meanwhile Origin is yet again giving me sub-1MB/s download speed. Come the fuck on, you used to be faster. edit: Lots of peeps have the same issue it seems, turning on 'Safe mode downloading' which according to description should reduce speeds at least brought me up to ~250MBit. 'Origin is fiiiiiiine' they say.

Last edited:

arts&crafts

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
If you have a Microsoft account (which I couldn't do without anyway) you're already in. Also lots of offers for a few months of gamepass. They've regularly done 1€ for one month, good enough for those kind of games.

Oh yea I probably have a microsoft account from something, just no games in the account. But yea I forgot about game pass. If i can pay for a month and play Crackdown thats good enough for me.

Oct 25, 2017
Taiwan
You can do a 14 day trial too. Game pass is decent on PC. You get access to a decent amount of games. Its just the navigation of the store succckss.

Dec

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
Ye 1 month of gamepass has been $1 for a few months now. I don't particularly care to play anything that has been added since I last subscribed so I've been waiting. If the $1 sale is on for another week I'll probably grab it to play Crackdown 3.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
Galyonkin responded to the influencer part of the thread:

This part was interesting to me:

Didn't DuskGolem pretty much confirm that games get played by Valve before they are put up on the store? The only thing that doesn't get checked are patches

Yeah it's true. But doesn't seem they judge quality at all.

It's funny how some developers cry that why must Valve plays their games and include content that store page says there is. And then Gamers cry Valve doesn't play games.

Deleted member 3897

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
During the creation of my goty list I have realized I own so many games from last year that I either have not touched or played like 5 min off.

Like I literally finish 1 or 2 games a month.

JarrodL

Oct 27, 2017
It's better than Fata Morgana and Steins;Gate combined
I played both Fata Morgana and Steins;Gate and ... this can't possibly be true. A game this good does not exist.

So would say I should play SteinsGate first, as to not be biased by how much better ChaosChild is?
It's safe to start with Steins;Gate, the Chaos and SG games aren't really connected story-wise - while there are some minor throwbacks to earlier games you might miss, it's nothing significant.

Last edited:

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
SCS is teasing a new map for American Truck Sim

003_wip.jpg

005_wip.jpg

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
You can now get Assassin's Creed Odyssey Gold Edition for 40 euros from Ubisoft Store, and Season Pass is still 40 euros.

Amzin

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it's true. But doesn't seem they judge quality at all.

It's funny how some developers cry that why must Valve plays their games and include content that store page says there is. And then Gamers cry Valve doesn't play games.
Also how discovery / visibility is very often the #1 complaint against the Steam store, yet in that same interview he essentially said the Epic Store will not offer discovery beyond the front page, developers should "rely on outside sources" for discovery.

To carry on off the back of this... I was cautiously hopeful when Epic launched their store despite the kind of scummy start, but every single thing they say digs the hole deeper and deeper. If they accomplish everything in their list for the next 1-2 years, we'll be left with a store with:

• No discovery options
  • No forums
  • No user created guides or content apparently
  • Maybe no reviews, maybe yes, maybe pop ups (everyone loves those, right?) to get reviews in
  • More throwing money at people to try and recruit customers (the whole influencers thing)
  • No workshop? Sounds like
  • Apparently still no refunds beyond the 2 for any given account
  • No official sales tracking despite that being one of his very own major complaints against Valve, and maybe no API for it either
  • Even with addition of regional pricing, they aren't covering the cost of extra processing fees so many games are just flat out more expensive than every other store out there
  • From the sounds of it, the exact same self-publishing process Steam uses

Epic is spending so much money on exclusives, free games, they're going to subsidize the whole influencer cut thing at first sounds like and encourage conflicts of interest / sellouts, but they aren't spending any money on actually making a good store. They're going to completely ignore discovery (which has been a crucial element of all retail stores for over 100 fucking years) and just hope it happens elsewhere. Same with forums (for like, tech support and the like, also kind of important), reviews to a bigger or lesser extent (reviewing can be abused but it's also been a major source of consumer empowerment the past decade in all economies). They seen to just want people to blindly show up, buy things they magically know they want, and see a nice tidy profit off it. They are acting like they have developers' best interests in mind by trying to appeal to the edges of the emotional complaints, because completely removing those components is cheaper than fixing them. They're offering money for exclusives and a bigger cut to lure devs (all of the ones so far had no special need of greater discovery or security) in the hope it will build some kind of incentive-payout cycle with devs and streamers and maybe review sites and end up making them more than it cost.

Epic is not trying to actually compete with Steam, they are just trying to jam their foot in the bigger gaming economy door.

Deleted member 1759

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Europe
Don't know if it's the best but I'll start playing REmake when I get home.
About that. Played for about 1.5h and I'm not sure I'm liking it. Never played the original, so I might be missing the nostalgia factor but the camera angles suck like 90% of the time.

And I had to switch to using a controller. KBM just doesn't feel good.

Status
Not open for further replies.