• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How was the PC Gaming Era GOTY Awards?

• Finally, a PC exclusive won this bloody thing

Votes: 233 47.5%
  • Agent 47 was robbed

Votes: 69 14.1%
  • Final Fantasy was robbed

Votes: 12 2.4%
  • Anime was robbed

Votes: 76 15.5%
  • Epic Store was robbed

Votes: 101 20.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
dxQiN9t.png

America's greatest delicacy

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Calories are easier to drink.

I just get the feeling that would taste rank though. I could maybe throw in a couple as part of a smoothie but no more.

matimeo

UI/UX Game Industry Veteran
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
This one is really surprising to me because the primary argument against a curated store is that the majority of discovery should happen outside the platform. And yet, Epic is currently opting both for a heavily curated store and a focus on having the marketing happen off store.

It's not complicated. Apple has done this for years. Everyone tries to copy them but they miss out on details that allow it to work for Apple.

Apple heavily curates their store and what gets seen by consumers, however I used to follow mobile gaming communities online not related to Apple and watch them drive games up the charts on the App Store.

Apple won't ever be emulated for many reasons but it's easy to see why others think it's an easy model to copy and apply despite no one else doing it as well as Apple does.

Most games are evangelized outside the Apple ecosystem , sometimes Apple will further evangelize, other times they choose based on their own hired expertise on their editing team of pre releases.

Credit where credit is due: publishers of AAA games sitting on PC patches until their console equivalents have been published (or thereabouts) has developed into an annoying trend over the past few years (I'm looking at you in particular, Ubi), so Bethesda remaining practical about the inherent lag in deployment is nice to see.

I can't speak for Ubi but it depends on how your development team is organized. For Forza , we had a completely separate team on PC with different producers leading so since the teams had different people and leads patches may not be aligned. Production owns the business side and decides when to push patches. Everything in development is prioritized. There was definitely a time on Forza when the most senior UI people like myself were pulled off to focus on other things which of course impacted PC and their ability to deliver.

Very rarely is anything held back. Most likely you have shared resources like test that have priorities and can only test one sku at a time. Different skus are often on their own rhythm of business depending on many factors usually it's resource bandwith and organization.

I've definitely had fixes ready to go and had to sit on them for awhile. There are many reasons why I wasn't allowed to push them to the build. Sometimes patches appear to be sitting but sometimes there are conversations going on about risk. Hold off because we may have an issue or hold off because we may want to include something or a decision maker is out. It's just how development goes sometimes.

Sadly I've also sat on fixes that were never allowed in to shipping builds. Disappointing but the production team overrides development leads sometimes.

Last edited:

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
I voted on the PC Gaming GOTY's.

And yes, there was a Microsoft Store game (or even two) in my list. But no Epic Store game! ;)

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All the games I voted for work on Linux, which would rule out any UWP games even if I did want to vote for any, which I wouldn't because fuck UWP.

zkylon

Oct 25, 2017
i'm just surprised cos the game runs about as bad as dishonored or hitman so it's not like it's anything particularly impressive in that front

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know what's wrong with my system but playing online games just isn't as fun anymore, because a lot of times I need to load into a level (or a new player spawns in) for an online game the computer freezes up for a while, often long enough for me to either disconnect or get killed by things happening while I'm loading. Either that or (in games like Path of Exile where it loads some assets in the background) it takes certain textures and icons an extra couple minutes to load in once I'm already in game. I don't know if it's because of some Windows update I installed a while back, or devs just don't test on systems without SSDs, or there's something actually wrong with my hard drive, but games just take fucking forever to load anything for me now. I've tried turning down game settings but it doesn't seem to help. And every time I run a hard drive diagnostic/test program it doesn't find anything wrong. I'm pulling my hair out here. Anybody know of a good way to track down the source of these performance problems?

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. But the Witcher stuff is MIA on PC and the expansion isn't even dated for PC at all. So it's still behind and they can't even get new stuff out at the same time.

I haven't gotten into MHW yet so I'm not super familiar with how the event structure is, but it being behind kinda seems like a given considering that the PC version came out later? Are they doing the events at an accelerated rate or is it the same timetable as on console just on a delay?

JD3Nine

The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
Texas, United States
I haven't gotten into MHW yet so I'm not super familiar with how the event structure is, but it being behind kinda seems like a given considering that the PC version came out later? Are they doing the events at an accelerated rate or is it the same timetable as on console just on a delay?
They said they were going to drop events on PC faster but honestly it doesn't feel that way. We should be catching up but it seems like we are falling farther behind. The expansion coming out this fall for consoles won't even hit this year on PC.

Edit: The game is still great and I definitely recommend it. You just have to be cool with being a lower priority.

Last edited:

zkylon

Oct 25, 2017
reviews are a weird system, i get the need to express that there's problems with the game but it feels weird when everyone i talk to loves the game

i guess it does accomplish that it makes people question if there's something wrong the game and maybe look further but i recommended mhw to a friend and he was like this game has bad reviews?

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I never actually tried it before today, but turned out that my PC can actually handle Vesperia at 4K. I've been playing at 1440p all this time lol.

Even though it's an old gen game, the artstyle helps a lot. I wish more JRPGs go back to adapt this kind of artstyle with slightly chibi characters.

B1F222CFAA1DFB21E5056F087B7D576ABD3A9688

Casper

Oct 25, 2017
I wish I could get Reshade to work for Tales of V. I try, and either it opens the game and then closes before title screen or it opens and there is no Reshade bar and Settings will not open with Home/Shft+F2. It seems like something I'd love to spend time messing with but I am at a loss.

Turned off Rivatuner/Afterburner, turned off overlays, etc. I just can't get anything to... go.

EDIT: I've only tried once before to get Reshade up and running, for FFXI maybe? No luck there either. Had to remove the Reshade files to be able to launch the game.

EDIT2: Renamed the dll from dxgi to d3d11 and bam, working. Now to play with some things.

Last edited:

zkylon

Oct 25, 2017
JsWGypW.png

i'm consufed, is this supposed to say 'pladius franchise'?

also bury me my love is out on steam i guess?

imma buy it

Casper

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't Playdius the publisher of that and others like Edge of Eternity and Away? Or am I missing why you are confused?

Last edited:

Teeth

Nov 4, 2017
Nuclear Hot Take Time:

If you don't skip the cinematics (ie- played as intended), Bayonetta is one of the worst paced action games.

My god, just let me play your game for more than 3 minutes without interrupting me with another one of your Z-tier Troma story chunks.

zkylon

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't Playdius the publisher of that and others like Edge of Eternity and Away? Or am I missing why you are confused?
it's confusing cos it says franchise rather than publisher and for a second i thought the game had some hidden anime element from some dumb anime franchise called playdius and i was confused af

Nuclear Hot Take Time:

If you don't skip the cinematics (ie- played as intended), Bayonetta is one of the worst paced action games.

My god, just let me play your game for more than 3 minutes without interrupting me with another one of your Z-tier Troma story chunks.
maybe on further playthroughs, the cutscenes are so entertaining i never minded

and max payne 3 owns the dubious honor 'til the end of times

Oct 29, 2017
I don't know what's wrong with my system but playing online games just isn't as fun anymore, because a lot of times I need to load into a level (or a new player spawns in) for an online game the computer freezes up for a while, often long enough for me to either disconnect or get killed by things happening while I'm loading. Either that or (in games like Path of Exile where it loads some assets in the background) it takes certain textures and icons an extra couple minutes to load in once I'm already in game. I don't know if it's because of some Windows update I installed a while back, or devs just don't test on systems without SSDs, or there's something actually wrong with my hard drive, but games just take fucking forever to load anything for me now. I've tried turning down game settings but it doesn't seem to help. And every time I run a hard drive diagnostic/test program it doesn't find anything wrong. I'm pulling my hair out here. Anybody know of a good way to track down the source of these performance problems?

If it is online games only I would think it is a network/connectivity issue.

Otherwise run a hardware monitor while you are playing. If the HDD is bottlenecking it should be fairly obvious with sustained access spikes. If you are low on space Win10 can automatically compress files. That could kill performance.

You could also monitor your VRAM usage and see if you are getting tapped out. Most games don't push regular RAM anymore so I doubt it is that.

Teeth

Nov 4, 2017
maybe on further playthroughs, the cutscenes are so entertaining i never minded

and max payne 3 owns the dubious honor 'til the end of times

Yeah, I forgot about MP3. It's also really bad about it, but not like Bayonetta (though, I will say I'm only 3 hours in). Max Payne 3 does not:
1) Go from walking to a cutscene that shows enemies spawn in, then show IN THE CUTSCENE my character fight the enemies for 2 minutes to kick me back out to another walking portion
2) Show multiple cutscenes with my character dodging and weaving around enemies and then have a cutscene show an enemy shoot at the camera, only to cut to gameplay with that shot right in your face
3) Have extremely poorly edited and directed anime-style action sequences where you often can't really tell what's happening.
4) Have very poor level design, with invisible walls everywhere (that directly oppose the double jump, wall jump, and wall walk abilities), that incentivizes searching around for treasure, then penalizes you for taking too long in the score ranking.
5) Speaking of level design, the levels are surprisingly poorly lit and modeled. I don't mean in a technical sense, this was a 360 game that tried to run at 60fps so sacrifices had to be made. I mean in a "direct the player where you want them to go. It's amazing how after every arena fight, it's not really obvious where to go (Level design 101 snafus - after finishing a fight, there are 3 "exits"...two of them are open hallways that lead to treasure, one is a brown door that progresses the critical path....okay. Nothing anywhere guides the player forward intuitively).
6) Instant death QTEs that come in one out of 10 cutscenes. And it's not like you can realize it's going to happen because an action is happening to the player character in a cutscene...because there are entire fights that take place in cutscenes.

I could go on...but, wow. Everything outside of the actual fight mechanics is really, really poor. It's actively propelling me away from the game.

What I thought I'd be offended by going in: The most male gaziest game around
What I was actually offended by: The most boring amazing action game around

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
I've seen people call Bayo a lot of things but boring?

Not a anime fan I take it... stay away from Asura's Wrath when it comes to PC I guess (you hear me Capcom? ffs)

AvernOffset

May 6, 2018

Bayonetta is one of my favorite games ever, and you're 100% correct. The game is wretched on your first playthrough, and the positive reviews it got at launch still astonish me. If it's any consolation, the awful instant death QTEs are extremely front-loaded. You've probably gotten past most of them already.

For another fun feature of Bayonetta, its best combat mechanic is more or less unexplained! If you haven't figured it out on your own, when you're mid combo, hold down the attack button and dodge to keep your combo from ending prematurely. It makes it infinitely easier to pull off Wicked Weaves. It's baffling that it's not taught explicitly, because on my first playthrough, I beat the burning enemies in chapter 3 by running away and spamming basic gunshots. Such intuitive design!

Status
Not open for further replies.