• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How was the PC Gaming Era GOTY Awards?

• Finally, a PC exclusive won this bloody thing

Votes: 233 47.5%
  • Agent 47 was robbed

Votes: 69 14.1%
  • Final Fantasy was robbed

Votes: 12 2.4%
  • Anime was robbed

Votes: 76 15.5%
  • Epic Store was robbed

Votes: 101 20.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Veidt

Oct 27, 2017
The emphasis on no sales is good, as Valve has seriously injured the fuck out of potential non-sale sales, but it comes way too late. Sales are, for better or much, much worse, a part of store culture now.

Sales have always been a part of 'store culture', why would it be any different in the digital space compared to other retail channels?

Not sure how Valve is to blame for sales, when even mid/large publishers release €60 games and a couple months later are already doing 50% discounts across different stores, physical channels and consoles. This isn't a new development nor was it driven by Valve; it's just the digital space is far, far bigger now than it was a decade ago.

It should be said there's plenty of indies not engaging in the usual discounts and enjoying very healthy sales, so the notion that frequent/aggressive sales are mandatory to enjoy commercial success as an indie is severely misguided.

An actual issue is when devs don't see the sales volume they expect at release and start aggressively discounting their games. Naturally this devalues their product and reinforce the customers mindset of waiting for a sale, especially if the product's price doesn't match up with its perceived value.

Doing proper market research, learning about pricing strategies, understanding the value of your product and how to sell it are all fundamental parts of running a successful business, I don't know why some people expect otherwise just because they're working on games.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
for anyone who played Yakuza 0

so how the save system work in this game?
i've had the dumb idea to play it during a day where power was shutting down without reason, i've already replayed the first hour with those long ass cutscenes for three times and i can't find a way to manually save or something
You can save using the pay phones. There was a mod that allows saving anywhere but I don't think it works with the current version of the game.
It's not a mod, it's a setting that it is hidden in an .ini file. "SaveAnywhere" I think. Change that from 0 to 1, and make sure not to save during combat, or certain quests that change the city map (basically anything the game considers "unusual") If you do, you can corrupt that save.

johancruijff

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
You save at phone booths and manage items.
You can save using the pay phones. There was a mod that allows saving anywhere but I don't think it works with the current version of the game.
Go to any payphone and you can save. I think you can save after going with Nishiki to the batting cage IIRC
It's not a mod, it's a setting that it is hidden in an .ini file. "SaveAnywhere" I think. Change that from 0 to 1, and make sure not to save during combat, or certain quests that change the city map (basically anything the game considers "unusual") If you do, you can corrupt that save.

got it
i'll wait for the power situation to normalize and try again cause if i have to fight the drunk dudes again i'm tossing it

on a side note, i still loathe save points

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
I am almost tempted to buy a DVD drive so that I could get some games that aren't available digitally like Diablo 1 @_@

UltraJay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I hope the 2060s don't sell out immediately in my area. I have to wait another week to get one as it is 599 AUD here and I was hoping for it to be closer to the currency conversion. Of course there was going to be an Australia tax. Now I'm hoping that the MSI version isn't too much more expensive than the RRP.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
I hope the 2060s don't sell out immediately in my area. I have to wait another week to get one as it is 599 AUD here and I was hoping for it to be closer to the currency conversion. Of course there was going to be an Australia tax. Now I'm hoping that the MSI version isn't too much more expensive than the RRP.

If you'd like to save some money (even taking into account import tax) and don't mind waiting a while longer, import an EVGA card (NIS has a tracker you can keep an eye on). That's what I've been doing since 2017. There's no need to worry about warranty as EVGA's policy is global and "follows the product and not the person", which helps with resale value.

Last edited:

Deleted member 5864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There were a lot of factors that contributed to the small indies "visibility problem" that just blaming Steam sales for shifting people's expectations is kinda ridiculous and really shows the entitlement of some developers thinking they have some sacred right to huge sales and market share in a very competitive, ever growing industry.

To blame Steam for the race to the bottom is ridiculous when developers themselves were willing participants outside of Steam, other platforms like iOS or bundle stores contributed enormously to it, and due to this gold rush, not only was the market completely experimental, it was also insanely profitable model at the time (which is why developers were willing participants). Take this interview from 2011:
"The sale is a highly promoted event that has ancillary media like comic books and movies associated with it. We do a 75 percent price reduction, our Counter-Strike experience tells us that our gross revenue would remain constant. Instead what we saw was our gross revenue increased by a factor of 40. Not 40 percent, but a factor of 40. Which is completely not predicted by our previous experience with silent price variation."

We had numbers from Valve that deeper discounts (i.e. 70% & 80%) would result in more straight revenue (not just units sold) than lower discounts, and yes, that could be because there were fewer games on the market. But not "fewer" Unity store asset flips and "bad" games taking up those sales (which is ridiculous because they generally don't), but fewer high quality games, period. Nowadays, these developers that apparently had their livelihoods killed due to the expectation of lower prices are competing against games like Shovel Knight, a game that rarely goes on sale, never on deep discount, and is extremely high quality. Maybe, just maybe, there are so many good games that consumers only have so much money to throw around.
"The most recent thing that also is really puzzling is that we made products available for free on numerous occasions, without significantly impacting the audience size. We recently said, we're now going to do something different, we're not only going to signal that it's free but we're going to say, 'it's free to play,' which is not really a pricing signal, even though that's what you would ordinarily think it is. And our user base for our first product that we made free to play, Team Fortress 2, increased by a factor of five. That doesn't make sense if you're trying to think of it purely as a pricing phenomenon.
Why is free and free to play so different? Well then you have to start thinking about how value creation actually occurs, and what it is that people are valuing, and what the statement that something is free to play implies about the future value of the experience that they're going to have."​
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/10/24/less-is-more-gabe-newell-on-game-pricing/

So Beyond discounts we had the proliferation of F2P models and GaaS as well. Why is no one blaming League of Legends for the "damage" it did to the PC market by basically "training" gamers to expect ever increasing, high quality competitive games with infinite content and completely for free. Why is no one blaming games like Fortnite?

Why is no one blaming "youtube influencers and streamers" who -on a dime- can change the perception of what a good game is and can rocket even low quality games like Flappy Bird and Five Nights at Freddy to ridiculous success.

Why are indie developers not blaming each other when thousands of them rush like flies to see who can put out the most "survival, jump scare horror, rogue, souls-like, zombie, craft" games in a calendar year. If you think this was only a problem Steam had, you might not even remember that Microsoft's Xbox indie initiative had a problem with zombie, craft (and massage games funnily enough) itself because chasing trends is easy and developing good games is harder.

But inky you say, a hand curated storefront that keeps a low number, high quality inventory, means more games with higher quality and higher visibility is better for everyone!

Yeah, except who is everyone? How many indie developers would you say are out there making games? How many of them are making good (not exceptional, just baseline good) quality games people would like to buy? How many of them do you expect would like the opportunity to be noticed and be allowed to sell their games (together will all the AAA of course)? Oh, what do you mean you want in, small indie developer who is creating another derivative product at $20? So you mean all of them want to get in as well because they obviously feel their product is worth just as much? OK.

I wish we had a storefront where the process of curating these thousands of worthy entries is fast and painless, where ALL of them get equal visibility and ALL of them are guaranteed to sell max units at full price. Maybe you are bit in denial about the whole business part of the "videogames are a business" line you love throwing around. You know, businesses fail. A lot. Especially in a cutthroat industry where products that take USD $350m to make are directly competing for time and money with your garage band operation.

But yeah, let's blame this particular store instead for all of it.

Last edited:

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017

Tnx PC gamers for beta testing patches for console gamers and telling Bethesda how to fix their game XD

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia

Tnx PC gamers for beta testing patches for console gamers and telling Bethesda how to fix their game XD

Credit where credit is due: publishers of AAA games sitting on PC patches until their console equivalents have been published (or thereabouts) has developed into an annoying trend over the past few years (I'm looking at you in particular, Ubi), so Bethesda remaining practical about the inherent lag in deployment is nice to see.

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
Credit where credit is due: publishers of AAA games sitting on PC patches until their console equivalents have been published (or thereabouts) has developed into an annoying trend over the past few years (I'm looking at you in particular, Ubi), so Bethesda remaining practical about the inherent lag in deployment is nice to see.

Huh. For R6 Siege at least, Ubi patches PC first and then consoles (sometimes weeks later.) I think this was true for the Division as well.

You would think PC patches would be more common, frequent, and first just because there is no cost or QA teams in the way. Where as on consoles you gotta pay that fee + certification.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Forgot to talk about this earlier but during the holiday I legit didn't realize exactly how big Fortnite was with kids, all my nieces play it and they're very young

But then they talked about playing Hello Neighbor of all things and it threw me for a loop, I had ZERO clue kids were so into that game

Joe Spangle

Nov 1, 2017
I can't decide if I want to play the RE2 demo or not. It's not unique content (right?) and there's no bonus items or whatever that carries over to the main game (right?), so maybe I'll just wait for the game.

I caved and just finished the demo. Its a good little snap shot of the game but I dont think you'll miss out on anything by skipping it. It was nice to see how it should run on my system (very nicely).

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Forgot to talk about this earlier but during the holiday I legit didn't realize exactly how big Fortnite was with kids, all my nieces play it and they're very young

But then they talked about playing Hello Neighbor of all things and it threw me for a loop, I had ZERO clue kids were so into that game

Yeah, it's nuts. At this point, my PSN account must have at least 50 hours of Fortnite on it, and that's all because of my nephews/nieces. One of them in particular lives and breathes the game: if he's not playing it, he's watching streams. And if he's not watching streams, he's dreaming of it.

Huh. For R6 Siege at least, Ubi patches PC first and then consoles (sometimes weeks later.) I think this was true for the Division as well.

You would think PC patches would be more common, frequent, and first just because there is no cost or QA teams in the way. Where as on consoles you gotta pay that fee + certification.

Yeah, exactly. Even EA is guilty.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017

its Minecraft all over again. The Gaf, now Era bubble doesnt realise how big these games are outside, well, their bubble.

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
The Hello Neighbor thing is what surprises me the most tbh, that one came out of blue field
I think it's because it got slammed in the gaming press [and here on ERA], but it had what streamers like I guess and thus it took off. I was under the assumption until very recently that it had come out and died off but I can see I'm wrong about that.

zkylon

Oct 25, 2017
The blue completed sign means that you've completed all quests that you have unlocked for that difficulty level, but there's more quests remaining that aren't unlocked yet (in this case they'll be unlocked after you progress a bit more through the story).
The orange completed sign means that you've completed all quests for that difficulty level and there's no more quests left to be unlocked.
I'm almost 200 hours in and I realised that I didn't know what that meant either, lol.

A quick google search tells me that the orange completed label means that you've completed every single possible quest in that tier, and the blue one means that you've completed every available quest but there are more to unlock in that tier.
yeah, that seems to be the answer lol

i swear monster hunter is even more obtuse than league sometimes

btw i forgot who was it that was sad i didn't keep using the hammer and i'm happy to report it's become a recurrent part of the weapon rotation after i learned the slide into hilarious air roll spinning hammer rampage or whatever it's called lol

that attack is so funny to use i had to keep upgrading it

i'm trying to play a lot with that axe that turns into a sword, that one is fairly fun. i don't like the greatsword, feels like i get killed a lot cos i can't dodge in time

anyone has anything to say about ranged weapons? the bow and arrow feels kinda lame but the guns don't seem to have much complexity to them? like you just point and shoot with the bullet they're weak to?

Line

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

We tend to miss popular games like this as we're not really the main public anymore.
But yeah, it's insanely popular with kids, you can add streamer bait like 5 nights at Freddie's, and especially Roblox.
Absolutely humongous, entirely unknown by Era and the "core" demographic.

I really wonder how it's going to shape the industry, we already know that mobile only gamers have absolutely nothing in common with the old guard, and will never jump into the market we're so familiar with.
Maybe we'll have a third separate industry in videogames, streamer/viewers games with a different set of objectives and marketing...

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
I played Fortnite for a few days a long while ago, and I can see the reason for its popularity but surprisingly it didn't really hook me. I think it was a combination of the graphics, the way the characters handled, and the building aspect which I ignored during my time with the game. I'm here to shoot people, not make fences. Something like H1Z1 would probably be more up my alley.

Teeth

Nov 4, 2017
The Hello Neighbor thing is what surprises me the most tbh, that one came out of blue field

Hello Neighbor is the oddest case of success I've seen in gaming.

When we started getting Cuphead fan art a couple of years ago we noticed that there were two games that our characters were constantly paired with - Bendy and the Hello Neighbor dude. I started looking into those fan bases and I realized what an odd niche these games are/were:

They are ENORMOUS on Youtube and yet they are only modestly successful in sales.

They are basically the doom case of targeting young children - they love your content but don't have the means to purchase.

We're talking about Hello Neighbor videos on Youtube that have multiple millions of views, but the game (last I checked when Steamspy had real numbers) has sold just north of 100k. Not bad numbers by any means, but way wayyyy wayyyyyyyy below the standard industry analytics for view-conversion.

Bendy isn't quite as off a case - Bendy vids were topping out at 4 or 5M views and they had sold over 400k last I checked.
EDIT - scratch that - I just checked and there are Bendy videos with 30-90M views. Their conversion ratio is also massively under-delivering.

The difference between these games and Roblox is that Roblox makes BANK.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK

I visited my hometown for boxing day and in the few hours I walked around town I saw at least a dozen kids with brand new Fortnite shirts/bags. It's quite something.

Speaking of games that get ignored by here..

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
can you still extend your RE2 demo playtime after going through it once

Pretty sure I read that you might have to use SAM to remove your achievements from the demo if you wanna do it on the same account. I guess if the game detects you already have the 30 minute achievement than it won't let you play more...

Edit: beaten by Jase.

Gevin

Nov 2, 2017
The blue completed sign means that you've completed all quests that you have unlocked for that difficulty level, but there's more quests remaining that aren't unlocked yet (in this case they'll be unlocked after you progress a bit more through the story).
The orange completed sign means that you've completed all quests for that difficulty level and there's no more quests left to be unlocked.

Any way to know which are the quests missing?

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017

This could get some use.

UltraJay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
If you'd like to save some money (even taking into account import tax) and don't mind waiting a while longer, import an EVGA card (NIS has a tracker you can keep an eye on). That's what I've been doing since 2017. There's no need to worry about warranty as EVGA's policy is global and "follows the product and not the person", which helps with resale value.
So I buy from Amazon or something? I never would have thought importing would be cheaper.

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I discovered Dota Auto Chess the other day after someone on Reddit was comparing it with Artifact (despite the two not having anything really in common besides the Dota link).

Seems interesting. Maybe I'll give it a go some time.

thirtypercent

Oct 18, 2018
What makes me feel super insecure is how often I see people saying they have perfect performance on this or that game, and then when I play there are almost always points at wich I get some dips, so it really makes me question if there's something wrong on my end. I guess I'm just, very unfortunately, sensitive to fluctuations in frame rate/times, and most people can't even notice them.

I only trust benchmarks, videos, my eyes and people that I know for certain having the same level of sensitivity for those issues, some random dude proclaiming a terrible PC port runs fine or his PS4 stays whisperquiet no matter what is worthless. Many have extremely low standards, don't know what to look for, don't care or just say shit because they want to score points for their favorite game/system.

Maybe a Gsync/Freesync monitor could help to smooth things out for you a little?

Speaking of, F76 has fallen below 10€ on cdkeys.

Last edited:

Gevin

Nov 2, 2017
I love how after each MHW session i need to close like 20 tabs of monster weakness and where to gather x material :D

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah that game is surprisingly popular.
And it's prequel is an epic store exclusive :P

Gevin

Nov 2, 2017
You just need to focus on one thing at a time. Weaknesses are something you end up memorizing (or not really caring that much because you dont need it).

Yeah i always do that but don't close any tab until I'm done :D

I remember most of the weaknesses already but always like to double check just in case.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Well good luck with some of these

Discovery will mainly take place outside of the store. Galyonkin draws parallels to a book store or theater, where you usually know what you're going to buy/attend before going there rather than look through what's available. Primarily new/featured releases are shown on the storefront.

It's not planned that the 12% cut will get higher. It might get lower, however, if they will be able to cut a better deal over time with payment processing companies -- but this won't happen any time soon.

It will eventually be possible to launch non-Epic games through the launcher. You can pull in friends lists from Steam Galyonkin said. Importing games directly from other platforms, like GOG does, will not be done. He doesn't see the advantage of it.

Customer reviews are opt-in. Will have mechanisms to prevent review bombs. Expects that without review bombing, all developers will want to put reviews on their page. I don't think that's the case, since many of dev's complaints about reviews that I've read are about people not understanding games, using reviews as a faster support ticket, inappropriate content, and so forth. Review bombs are an issue, but not for the vast majority of games. These other issues are more commonplace.

Discusses different ways to address reviews and review bombing. A pop-up asking a player to review a game after closing it -- from what I understood the idea is that only a certain subset of players will then get to review it, it isn't something everyone can do at any time. Another option he mentioned was only allowing/showing reviews of people who have recently played the game. Instead of like/dislike system a numeral system, which is monitored and an algorithm removes the extremes -- this is a reference to a similar system implemented on some other website/service that I'm not familiar with. They're still figuring out how to best approach it. Galyonkin personally likes the post game pop-up idea.

To be clear: those are two different options they've thought of. Either or. In any case, it's still all a work in progress. Galyonkin was just airing different approaches they've considered. If you read on, he says that devs will have no moderation powers over reviews.

The influencer/creator program will be their approach to Steam's curators.

Responding to complaints about EGS being focused on developers to the detriment of consumers (e.g. no forums, achievements, other consumer-facing features): initial focus was indeed on developers, the consumer focused featured are being worked on, they will have free games every two weeks for the entirety of 2019 (28 games total). Features for consumers will be introduced gradually. Concedes that even stuff on the backend for developers isn't fully finalized yet either.

They're happy with the look of the store as it is now with its big tiles. Eventually things like categories will be introduced but in broad strokes this is how it'll look.

Much more at the link

https://www.resetera.com/threads/epic-games-store-discussion.86783/page-14#post-16826016

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
Status
Not open for further replies.