• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How was the PC Gaming Era GOTY Awards?

• Finally, a PC exclusive won this bloody thing

Votes: 233 47.5%
  • Agent 47 was robbed

Votes: 69 14.1%
  • Final Fantasy was robbed

Votes: 12 2.4%
  • Anime was robbed

Votes: 76 15.5%
  • Epic Store was robbed

Votes: 101 20.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

ussjtrunks

Oct 25, 2017
Why can't more devs create an engine with such nice frame times like resi 2, that demo was the smoothest thing I've played on pc or console in a long while. Thank you capcom can't wait for dmc 5

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
So...i've been thinking about this multiple launcher debacle and, i think this is a problem that Valve could ameliorate.

I really don't have a big issue with multiple launchers. It's a bit of a security risk, but as far as day to day convenience, I've been using Steam to launch Origin games (Dragon Age series and Mass Effect 3) for years and it's been fine for my personal use case.

My biggest issue is that, I have almost 600 games across the different ecosystems and I forget about a lot of the games that I don't plan on playing immediately. I don't necessarily need everything on one launcher (though I would like that for ultimate convenience), I just need something that works like a package manager for all of my PC games.

I think Valve could solve this.

Mainly what they would need to do is make a checkbox when you add a non-Steam game to Steam that denotes that you want the entry saved. So even when the game is uninstalled, there's a greyed out entry on your games list (they could even put an icon in front of it denoting which ecosystem it's from....and/or have them user definable). That's all I really need.

If they wanted to go beyond that, they could allow user definable launch extensions for the uninstalled games that could be used like scripts to turn a double-click into a fully launched/downloaded game. Additionally, they could allow for close scripts that do stuff like close Origin when the game closes or whatever.

If I were Valve, that's where I'd be wheeling my desk over to work on.
Isn't this what Playnite does? I have all my libraries synced and it shows me Origin games that I own but don't have installed. I can then just select it and click install and Origin launches and does the rest.

It even supports scripts to auto-close launchers.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
Just just finished What Remains of Edith Finch on the Epic Store.
The game is pretty interesting. I really loved how each story felt unique, and used both audio-visual presentation, combined with unique game-play mechanics to tell a story. It's like a firework display of ineresting idea, where you only get to see each idea for a brief moment, then move on to the next. It works pretty well for what it is.
I don't feel the actual story of the Finch family was too interesting. It lacks context, thing happening to people I don't know, or get to know, for fairly unintellible reasons, with lots of incoherencies when you start thinking about the whys and hows. It's an amazing game that only lives (and works) in the moment, like a firework display. Maybe it would have impressed me more, if it wasn't so over-hyped. I also doubt it's gonna leave much of an impression on me. Still, I must applaud it on a technical level, even if it didn't move me an inch artistically.

As for the Epic Store, well, it's incredibly barebones. Calling this a Steam "competitor" is a joke, it's a glorified Download Manager. No, it has basically the same feature set as the GOG Download Manager, with prettier (and less functional ) UI. If they expect to get an audience to rival Steam, maybe start adding community features, and much more functionality. before moneyhatting exclusives. Just a suggestion.
I have a cool thing for you then if you got the time.

Teeth

Nov 4, 2017
Isn't this what Playnite does? I have all my libraries synced and it shows me Origin games that I own but don't have installed. I can then just select it and click install and Origin launches and does the rest.

It even supports scripts to auto-close launchers.

Oh, it may, but I'll be perfectly honest: I want it done in Steam so that it automatically does all the Steam Controller/Big Picture/Proton/Overlay business that comes with running something through Steam.

Also because of those 600 games I own, 500 of them are on Steam.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Everyone, can you help me with a boring query: I've got a mouse with two buttons on the side, and I think it would be really nice if I could use them to 'go to next tab/previous tab' in Firefox. Any way I can configure the mouse to do that? I don't think FF or Windows 10 have this ability.

EDIT: Actually, this software seems like it'll help. Anyone used it?

EDIT EDIT: Hmm, nope. Can't see an option in that software to do this, unless I'm being dumb. Although this software could be handy. Gonna see if I can assign two letters I use alot in TW: Shogun 2 to 3rd and 4th mouse buttons. That would be reeeal convenient.

EDIT EDIT EDIT: Oh shiiiiiiiiit, I figured out to remap 'go to new tab', yeah baby. Ok, this is too many edits now.

Last edited:

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
No massive seasonal sale events like on Steam. This is said to kill sales for games that don't do a discount in that period as well as for new games. Instead, games on sale will be featured alongside the regular stuff.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/epic-games-store-discussion.86783/page-11#post-16811353

And I guess most importantly they will allow to sell EGS keys on other storefronts, but Galyonkin said that he thinks it will be kinda pointless, because the business of reselling Steam keys is based on the fact, that other stores take 20% cut, instead of Steam's 30%. So it would be hard to sell keys on other sites cheaper because EGS cut is already only 12%

https://www.resetera.com/threads/epic-games-store-discussion.86783/page-12#post-16816228

Somebody asked for more competition?

zkylon

Oct 25, 2017
3nheimq.jpg

my progression in monster hunter kind of pleateaud since i got high rank cos you get so damn many side missions. honestly this is my least favorite part of the game so far, same enemies and same armor with bigger numbers is not very interesting and i'm looking forward to unlocking a new area with new enemies cos it's a bit tiring

i have spent like 50 hours on this game in like two weeks so it's really consumed my life but i'm not tired of it in the slightest, which is why i don't want it to stop being surprising and to keep delivering new stuff. i definitely don't mind if it ever becomes a grindy thing that i just stop playing cos i've had a ton of fun leading up to it but i kind of feel i'm not ready to let go yet haha

also does anyone know what the blue completed sign means (opposite to the orange one) ??

FIw4evv.jpg

HP_Wuvcraft

Oct 26, 2017
South of San Francisco
The emphasis on no sales is good, as Valve has seriously injured the fuck out of potential non-sale sales, but it comes way too late. Sales are, for better or much, much worse, a part of store culture now.

Oct 26, 2017
Belarus
The emphasis on no sales is good, as Valve has seriously injured the fuck out of potential non-sale sales, but it comes way too late. Sales are, for better or much, much worse, a part of store culture now.
Blaming just Valve for devs willing to devalue their games is not right. No one forced anyone to participate in bundles like Humble or Indiegala, a few years ago with the rise of steam keys bundles nobody even thought about how much it can affect sales of the games overall. Now developers realising this problem when consequences hit the fan, but it's too late because a lot of consumers (including myself) trained to wait for a sale before jumping the gun on unknown-but-promising indie games, because there is always a risk they will appear in bundle or go on -75% sale directly on Steam month later. Indies devs are their own worst enemies and tend to blame Valve for everything, which is getting ridiculous at this point.

Li Kao

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, I didn't really look into it so sorry for the noob question, but does Playnite only detects your installed games (useless imho) or your whole library ?

HP_Wuvcraft

Oct 26, 2017
South of San Francisco
This post needs DEVELOPER PERSPECTIVE put all over it.
Epic Store is courting devs, so I responded from that perspective, yes.

Indies devs are their own worst enemies and tend to blame Valve for everything, which is getting ridiculous at this point.
While half of the "blame" also does reside with devs, devs don't dictate when Steam puts up official sales.

I didn't say that. I said that it was a nice try on Epic's part, but that era is gone.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017

Pubs/devs have to take their share of the blame in bundling. I think Humble, Bundlestars, Indiegala are way more to blame than Steam in devaluing products. But I do agree that gamer's purchasing habits are warped - Black Friday sales haven't screwed over retailers or manufacturers particularly, but that whole "never pay more than $20 for a game" meme has been taken way too far.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Epic Store is courting devs, so I responded from that perspective, yes.

While half of the "blame" also does reside with devs, devs don't dictate when Steam puts up official sales.

I didn't say that.

You said for the worse and crossed the "for the better". You definitely implied that. I'll say something that doesnt apply to you only but indie devs in general:
Why do you feel like you have to go against us, customers ?
When I read about a lot of indies, I see complaints about reviews. I see complaints about technical issues people whine about. I see complaints about sales. I see complaints about revenue share (that allows us to get cheaper games). I see stuff as "these features are useless".

Sorry but, a quick question: Who is buying games ? Customers.
I know some people are idiots and will be toxic when complaining about issues.
I know it's difficult to get harsh criticism on your hard work.
But no one forced indies to sell games. When I read some people, I feel what they basically want is people to buy and never interact with their customers, except when it's for the praises.

Then again, it's a more general message. I'm replying to you because that's a shared sentiment between indies.

ezodagrom

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
also does anyone know what the blue completed sign means (opposite to the orange one) ??
The blue completed sign means that you've completed all quests that you have unlocked for that difficulty level, but there's more quests remaining that aren't unlocked yet (in this case they'll be unlocked after you progress a bit more through the story).
The orange completed sign means that you've completed all quests for that difficulty level and there's no more quests left to be unlocked.

Last edited:

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
.... what? So, let me get this straight, I'm a Big Bad now because I have an opinion on the customer-distributor side of a business?

Not you specifically :0
But in general, yes, that's the feeling. When you say that sales are no good, sorry but it just feels like you're basically calling customers greedy, exploiting people. Maybe that's not what you mean, but that's how I perceive it.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Galyonkin's claim that third parties take 20% rather than 30% seems extremely dubious. I find it hard to believe that, say, GMG is being charitable when it offers 20% discounts to VIPs.

Edit: Never mind. I think I've misunderstood the perspective of the comment.

Last edited:

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Have they really? Any actual data backing this up? Sales incentivize and create sales that just wouldn't exist otherwise.

HP_Wuvcraft

Oct 26, 2017
South of San Francisco
Not you specifically :0
But in general, yes, that's the feeling. When you say that sales are no good, sorry but it just feels like you're basically calling customers greedy, exploiting people. Maybe that's not what you mean, but that's how I perceive it.
Don't take people charging more money than you currently want to pay as a personal attack. We're just trying to earn a living, just like anyone else. I'm sorry you feel that way. Really, I am. Your sentiment is partly why I and other indie devs undercharge.

The point is that the culture has changed. It's moved on, and is almost entirely a sales-based one now, and people - like me - have adapted to that even though it is not the greatest. I'm not going to sit here and say that I myself have not put my own business in a crummy situation due to discounts, but the initial decision to do that was driven by sales culture. I'm also not going to sit here and say that I'm the most knowledged on this subject.

I really, really wish that I didn't have to preface every post with "Developer", but apparently I do.

When you attempt to make shopping an objectively worse experience for me as a customer, yes.
How am I making it worse, though?

Have they really? Any actual data backing this up? Sales incentivize and create sales that just wouldn't exist otherwise.
The leaking of Sales Dates over the years has made this worse, as people now will just wait (more than they already did).

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Don't take people charging more money than you currently want to pay as a personal attack. We're just trying to earn a living, just like anyone else. I'm sorry you feel that way. Really, I am. Your sentiment is partly why I and other indie devs undercharge.

The point is that the culture has changed. It's moved on, and is almost entirely a sales-based one now, and people - like me - have adapted to that even though it is not the greatest. I'm not going to sit here and say that I myself have not put my own business in a crummy situation due to discounts, but the initial decision to do that was driven by sales culture. I'm also not going to sit here and say that I'm the most knowledged on this subject.

I really, really wish that I didn't have to preface every post with "Developer", but apparently I do.

I dont believe it's true. In fact, it seems there's more and more games on Steam and in general selling a LOT on day one, pushing the concurrent user records more and more. There are games, indie games, that sell without a discount. Some that never were deeply discounted.

The thing is, some devs think that because of sales, people just think that they should wait for a sale. But it doesn't mean that if there were no sale, they'd buy it on day one.

I understand that you're trying to make a living. Trust me, I wish every indie devs could.
But that's the thing. You and many others arrived in a market at the same time. The gaming market has seen amazing growth. But because of easy tools, the offer has grown soooo much faster than the demand. There's too much games. Too much indie titles. Being good isnt enough anymore, you need to be special.

The cake became twice bigger for sure, but now you're ten times more people to eat it.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
Galyonkin's claim that third parties take 20% rather than 30% seems extremely dubious. I find it hard to believe that, say, GMG is being charitable when it offers 20% discounts to VIPs.

Probably meant 10% discount out of their pocket, ie. customer gets 10% as discount and 20% remains to (GMG).
And same wouldn't work with Epic's 12% cut, as 12% wouldn't leave any margin to cut extra discount.

Surely mostly it's 30%, like BundleStars/Fanatical's api used to expose field named "royalty rate" that was mostly set to 0.7, which I assume means they'd give 70% to publisher and keep 30%. (Bundles would differ). They have since changed and removed that though.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

How am I making it worse, though?

The leaking of Sales Dates over the years has made this worse, as people now will just wait (more than they already did).
sure, a week or two before a big sale i'm sure that happens. I don't think it's a year-wide thing. Sales have also been proven to be extremely effective in making people impulse buy and devs are making their discounts smaller and smaller because people will still buy the games.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Probably meant 10% discount out of their pocket, ie. customer gets 10% as discount and 20% remains to (GMG).
And same wouldn't work with Epic's 12% cut, as 12% wouldn't leave any margin to cut extra discount.

A store eating into its own cut to offer a special/higher discount doesn't equal a higher share for devs, though, which is the crux of his claim (that third parties take less than Valve). It just means the store makes up the difference for the devs from its own pocket.

Edit: Never mind. I think I've misunderstood the perspective of his comment.

Last edited:

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
I have a cool thing for you then if you got the time.

I bookmarked it, and will give it a watch when I have a bit of time to spare. An hour long dive into a game that didn't exactly overwhelm me doesn't seem very productive right now. But if I'm bored on a train ride or something, why not?

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
A store eating into its own cut to offer a special/higher discount doesn't equal more for devs, though. It just means they get less.

Well I read it in way, that for customer it doesn't matter because game would cost same everywhere with so thing margins.

But I guess it can be read like that too and it's not right then.
Afaik. only Humble Bundle offers lower cut (25%) which is 15% for humble and 5% to charity and 5% cashback or charity. (And only 5% for widget sales).

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
If I had to buy every game at full price my Steam library would probably be a third of what it is now. At most. Probably actually way less.
With me I'd say it wouldn't be higher than 10% of what it is. Even before the floodgates opened there were more good games than I could reasonably afford. The percentage of those being AAA games would be probably higher too as I'd have been less likely to take chances on more unknown quantities especially in the early days.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
One positive thing about Epic Store I can say, is that I like this new interest in the PC Gaming market. It's clear Epic believes that spending all this money on money-hatting stuff is worth it in the long game (which I personally doubt, but that's beside the point).
It's a far cry from the "PC Gaming is dead", of 10 years ago. It's so successful, that more actors want a share of the pie, even if their methods of "competing" are highly dubious to me.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, yeah, re-rereading the comment, I think I've misinterpreted the perspective. I thought he meant the business of selling keys from the developer side, not the store side.

In any case, it's pretty telling about Epic's thinking : There'll be EGS keys but it'll be pointless because they cant apply a lower cut than 12%. Which makes me wonder the conditions around it. Also: No sales event.

I think it should be a thread.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone kinda fucked up with the sales culture tbh. Yeah it's awesome to get a game on the cheap, but when you have many people unwilling to buy some game because they'll wait until it's in a €4 bundle, some sale %age or free through PS+, Game Pass, or a giveaway it's indicative of something being askew in how game value is perceived. We all know there's a problem with it. Recall the reception to The Witness' pricing. Games like Hollow Knight and Stardew Valley are incredibly underpriced. Still: "will wait for a sale." This isn't necessarily the people in this thread, but I've seen it regularly in other topics and Reddit. €15 for HK or Stardew is crazy value. Just nuts.

Flash deals were cool and Steam seasonal sales used to be a bigger deal, because developers actually went down to 75-90% off. As a consumer, great. But this type of blowout is unhealthy from a sustainability perspective. Everyone participated in it, profited to some extent, but I don't think a game like FTL or Into the Breach should ever be priced below a certain number like €8 (regional pricing notwithstanding) and never the price of a Snickers bar. Ultimately, that's still not a lot of money.

Perhaps this comes from my life being closely linked to artists who struggle to get by without undervaluing themselves, their work, and the time they put into it but that's how I see it.

Point being that less deep discounts are probably healthy in order to reset the value proposition for smaller games. And I think not participating in sales culture as much and ensuring that games that don't discount (deeply) still have a fighting chance isn't necessarily anti-consumer. It's just a position.

Last edited:

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
One positive thing about Epic Store I can say, is that I like this new interest in the PC Gaming market. It's clear Epic believes that spending all this money on money-hatting stuff is worth it in the long game (which I personally doubt, but that's beside the point).
It's a far cry from the "PC Gaming is dead", of 10 years ago. It's so successful, that more actors want a share of the pie, even if their methods of "competing" are highly dubious to me.

Dont celebrate now. The long term plan is obvious: Shifting toward a subscription based ecosystem. There's a reason why everyone wants their launcher, their streaming and subscription service.

thirtypercent

Oct 18, 2018
I've been back on PC to play Edith Finch since it's free, and sure enough, there the stutters are when loading new areas. Tried the Resident Evil 2 demo and yup, dips when entering some areas.

I'd need more details to see if I have the same issues. Like, how long is the stuttering and how low do the fps go or what about frametimes. At what points exactly? The data must get loaded into memory somehow and some games/engines only do it when you're already in the game. Also since the games will run at 60fps or higher on your rig minor drops will be more noticeable than in games running at 30fps or below on console (many that are rock stable according to ERA are anything but). Maybe something's wrong at your end, maybe you use some tool or a hardware that has a driver that causes issues but I'd say that some hickups when loading in new data are to be expected. Like in not perfectly optimized open world games you can sometimes tell where the points are where the engine will have trouble keeping up.

Also while this might all be annoying think about the significantly lowered load times in general on PC, the differences are insane even if you have an SSD in your console.

Though you still maybe should run an SSD benchmark to make sure they're running at max speed, who knows. Buying a superfast NVMe might also help a little but they're more expensive and the difference will be minor. Another option: Watch YT vids of Lets Players going through the RE2 demo and try to see if they have the same issue.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Belarus
While I love getting the games cheap, I agree that sales culture is unhealthy and more devs need to find a good balance between selling their games at full price and doing small promotions and discounts. I got literally thousands of games for less than 1$, it always looks like a good deal because they are so cheap! But how much of these games I actually played? And in overall pictures, I spent too much money on those sales, which is not good for me as a consumer either. It's a problem for both sides and the only way to solve it is developers need to slow down the race to the bottom. Yes, that means that a lot of developers won't make a return of their development cost for the first months and even years, not to mention profits, because there are so many games releasing on the daily basis. It's going to be really hard times for the indie scene, the overall amount of games released daily would go down eventually as well. But in the end, the market will stabilize and reach some optimal point for price/demand. We already see this with bundles, there were over 10 bundle sites at some point and Humble was pushing out indie bundles on weekly basis with tons of great games for very cheap. Now there are only 3 major bundle sites left, with a bunch of smaller ones who are running new bundles from time to time, Humble focused on Monthly bundles because they are less impactful on future sales and more value for devs overall, Indiegala decreased the number of games in their bundles from 13-15 to 8-9 at best.

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone kinda fucked up with the sales culture tbh. Yeah it's awesome to get a game on the cheap, but when you have many people unwilling to buy some game because they'll wait until it's in a €4 bundle, some sale %age or free through PS+, Game Pass, or a giveaway it's indicative of something being askew in how game value is perceived. We all know there's a problem with it.
There may be a problem with sales culture, but I also think that value of games is intrinsically tied to supply. There are too many games, thus oversupply is driving down prices.

Then there is the issue of GaaS, which means that a lot of games take a continuous chunk of cash out of the potential demand pool. GaaS players don't buy new games because they're happy with their *one* game.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland

To be honest, my feelings are more comparable to an indie band having a breakout success and then trying to endlessly reproduce it by making more and more stereotypical popmusic to the point that they become completely uninteresting to me.
"Why couldn't they have been staying niche making niche music"

Status
Not open for further replies.