• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How was the PC Gaming Era GOTY Awards?

• Finally, a PC exclusive won this bloody thing

Votes: 233 47.5%
  • Agent 47 was robbed

Votes: 69 14.1%
  • Final Fantasy was robbed

Votes: 12 2.4%
  • Anime was robbed

Votes: 76 15.5%
  • Epic Store was robbed

Votes: 101 20.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

crimsonheadGCN

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Clifton, NJ
So here's a little something I've been wanting to ask you chaps:
How did you get to using Steam?

I signed up the first day that Steam launched (September 12, 2003).

I was relatively new to PC gaming at the time, since I was finally able to get a system that could play some games. I mainly played Team Fortress Classic, Counter-Strike 1.5/1.6, Battlefield 1942, and Unreal Tournament. I loved the idea of Steam since I became fed up with the patching process for games really quick.

ezodagrom

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Let's see, back when I was in high school (around 2003~2005 or so?), I would occasionally go to net cafes near my school to play Counter-Strike with friends, the result of that, I ended buying a retail copy of a Half Life collection which included CS and with that I created my first Steam account.
I ended not playing the games in that collection as much as I thought I would, I did a dumb choice of lending the account to a friend that liked CS more than me, and that friend got that account VAC banned (it's been so long that I don't even remember the login details of that account though).

For a few years after that, all I played was MMOs, and the few games I bought during this time that weren't MMOs were standalone games that didn't activate on Steam, bought through stores like Direct2Drive and such.
While I ended creating a new Steam account (which I currently use), for a few years I barely had any games in it:
December 2008 - Condition Zero
August 2009 - CS: Source
May 2010 - Portal
June 2010 - Left 4 Dead
July 2010 - Half Life 2, HL2 Ep1, HL2 Ep2, HL Source

A few very nostalgic releases for me are what started making me interested in Steam:
- Worms Reloaded in August 2010, at that time I hadn't played a Worms game since when I was a kid.
- Battlefield Bad Company 2, bought it on December 2010 in a winter sale, the first Battlefield game is another that I played in net cafes during high school.
- Sonic Adventure in March 2011, Dreamcast was my first proper console, and Sonic Adventure was the first game I had for it.

It was after these 3 that I really started building up my Steam library, but especially after Sonic Adventure.

Last edited:

matimeo

UI/UX Game Industry Veteran
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
To answer Tizoc

I was forced literally to create a steam account once hired by Valve.
Since I worked on the steam side releasing titles and creating their banners (some of which still exist today, before that was put on devs Valve would actually help with creating banner art from game assets).

At that time I was a big console player and didn't find PC interesting at all. In fact I rejected their unlock all games key. I think they thought I was super different lol.

But I started out as a young kid playing on PC , mostly DOS games and edutainment games were really huge. I also remember playing Doom, realms of the haunting , Myst and redneck rampage. My dad worked at IBM and brought home computer stuff a lot.

One day he brought home a NES with Mat and zapper and I dropped pc pretty fast. Most friends had consoles not PCs around that time.

Even after I left Valve I didn't use my steam account . I don't remember what specifically brought me back to PC and steam, most likely researching something.

But I tend to always have phases where I will focus more on one platform than another for awhile.
In the end it evens out since I have friends and a backlog on every platform these days.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
To answer Tizoc

I was forced literally to create a steam account once hired by Valve.
Since I worked on the steam side releasing titles and creating their banners (some of which still exist today, before that was put on devs Valve would actually help with creating banner art from game assets).

At that time I was a big console player and didn't find PC interesting at all. In fact I rejected their unlock all games key. I think they thought I was super different lol.

But I started out as a young kid playing on PC , mostly DOS games and edutainment games were really huge. I also remember playing Doom, realms of the haunting , Myst and redneck rampage. My dad worked at IBM and brought home computer stuff a lot.

One day he brought home a NES with Mat and zapper and I dropped pc pretty fast. Most friends had consoles not PCs around that time.

Even after I left Valve I didn't use my steam account . I don't remember what specifically brought me back to PC and steam, most likely researching something.

But I tend to always have phases where I will focus more on one platform than another for awhile.
In the end it evens out since I have friends and a backlog on every platform these days.

So you dropped PC for NES before or after playing Doom?

low-G

Oct 25, 2017

So I already loved Half Life. I loved Quake Team Fortress. Even before the Half Life 2 reveal thingy that included all the awesome shaders and physics, there were articles about something called Steam which I consistently misread the headlines as "Stream".

My assumption based on not reading the articles at all was that Valve was developing a faster way of streaming information off a CD. It seemed rather fruitless to me, but I thought whatever.

Years went by. There was that Half Life 2 reveal. That completely blew me away. I started to look at when and how I should upgrade my computer to play the awesome looking game.

I didn't like the idea of online game purchases at all. I was on dial up, and I stayed disconnected from the Internet when possible.

Still, I wanted Half Life 2, and when Valve offered that Gold pack (or Platinum? I'd have to check) which included a ton of games for a decent price, it wasn't a hard decision to download Steam and set it up. At least I'd be able to play the games.

It was real rough going then. I did have tons of problems with the decrypting process, but I was able to play and enjoy Counter Strike Source and Half Life 2.

By the time Rag Doll Kung Fu came out I thought online purchases were fine, so that was my first 3rd party Steam purchase. (I had already reluctantly given in to the X360 marketplace, buying Geometry Wars RE)

Last edited:

matimeo

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
So you dropped PC for NES before or after playing Doom?

After. Nintendo was far more appealing to a kid like me. I was amazed at Mario , controllers, zapper gun! And the mat for track and field! It was quite a package not too mention tv screens were way better than the crappy monitor we had for PC.

Also around this time PC started to become more associated with PC work or edutainment games like Oregon trail and number munchers.

Meanwhile Mario and Contra were amazing to me and my little brother and I could play together.

I have no idea how I got my hands on Doom as a kid but I'm also positive I wouldn't have been allowed to play if adults in my household knew lol.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
After. Nintendo was far more appealing to a kid like me. I was amazed at Mario , controllers, zapper gun! And the mat for track and field! It was quite a package not too mention tv screens were way better than the crappy monitor we had for PC.

Also around this time PC started to become more associated with PC work or edutainment games like Oregon trail and number munchers.

Meanwhile Mario and Contra were amazing to me and my little brother and I could play together.

I have no idea how I got my hands on Doom as a kid but I'm also positive I wouldn't have been allowed to play if adults in my household knew lol.

Hard for me to imagine turning down 90's PC for 80's console, but I was a teenager when Doom came out so I can understand how my perception of it was different.

In the SNES era, our family TV had a TON of RF interference and phosphor bleed. Even our 1993 monitor which my family bought with burn in looked incredible compared to our 1983 TV. The greens and blues especially left a major impression on me, they were so vibrant. I can understand the draw of a good display.

Right now my daughter prefers the visuals of Mario Bros 1 to any other 2D Mario. The perception of games without witnessing the evolution of graphics is something I'll probably never understand.

Kiraly

Oct 30, 2017
Does that "jetzt für pc erhältlich" mean that it's releasing today or that it's finally being ported to PC?

"Available now for PC"

https://store.steampowered.com/app/893180/Catherine_Classic/

19.99 EUR / 14.99 GBP

CATH_DLUX_ARRAY_616_UK_V6.jpg

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
Enhanced for PC

Catherine Classic brings to PC the original version of ATLUS' unparalleled classic action puzzler, now enhanced for modern PCs.

• Japanese Voice Over available for the first time in the West
  • 4K resolutions
  • Unlocked framerate
  • Customizable keyboard and mouse controls

Blu

Oct 25, 2017
Missed the last key :(

Did people who activate the keys from the images get Catherine?

OniluapL

Oct 25, 2017
Whooooa, SEGA didn't fuck up regional pricing for me, that's great! It's like half of the price Yakuza 0 was lol. I guess it's because it was a Sega EU initiative?

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
Uh, Catherine is a great game, but that price is too friggin high, especially if you own console version (X360 version of the game is actually cheaper here). I'll wait for a decent discount.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni

My entry to Steam was a interesting one.

In fact prior to installing steam in 2011, I didn't even know it existed and was primarily a Nintendo and PlayStation only fan but I did play MMOs from 2007-2012

Basically the gist of it was the guild I was part of for years started getting sick of the MMO we were playing at the time (Ragnarok Online). We tried a few MMOs such as WoW but a group of friends I was close to in the guild and myself were getting sick of server hopping (private servers) and trying out numerous free and private MMOs.

I was introduced to Left 4 Dead 2 but it was a pirated version and we used hamachi to play online. Did this for a couple of months until late 2011 a update made it kinda unplayable.

I was introduced to Steam because a friend suggested everyone should get the game on steam so we can all play together.

I was hesitant and didn't want to download something I thought I would use only for one game so I kinda brushed it off. My friend convinced me to get it when he offered to get me Terraria which was another game we had pirated and played hundreds of hours lol.

Terraria became my first game registered on steam via a gift and second was Counter strike source

My friend also preordered torchlight 2 4 pack, and got keys for the first game , he gave me one key as well.

My first game I bought on Steam was ironically Assassins Creed, I was interested in the series but never managed to buy it on PS3 because I mainly bought Japanese games instead of western games back then.

Second game I bought was portal+portal 2 bundle, third was Ys Origin , fourth was max Payne bundle (1+2) and fifth was Left 4 Dead 2.

Left 4 Dead 2 is currently my most played steam game at 150+ hours lol

Edit: I left the guild back in 2013 and stayed in contact with the friend who got me into steam, we played several games one of which included dark souls 1.

I still have contact with them but not much since we all went our separate ways due to irl changes (work, family, etc)

But I still use steam as much as my consoles

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Belarus
Does that "jetzt für pc erhältlich" mean that it's releasing today or that it's finally being ported to PC?

NVM

Ooooh, SEGA listened and did regional pricing in my region this time!...

It costs 18$ instead of 20$. Well, I guess my angry emails to SEGA support somewhat worked. I need to spam it 4 times more so eventually it'll go down to Ukraine level of regional prices, which is 10$ now.

Launchpad

Oct 26, 2017
More than happy to pay this price for Catherine at 1440p and 144Hz. Oh yes. I never finished it in PS3 though to be fair.

zkylon

Oct 25, 2017
i started using steam with the orange box cos i mostly played console during highschool and then i just pirated half life lol

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Now we need Sega to push Atlus into bringing SMT over to PC.

SMT 1, 2, and Nocturne on Steam. What a great time that would be.

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
$20 seems decent to me. Obviously it will be cheaper on 360, who is buying 360 games these days.
It's 1200 rubles in Russia, only 800 rubles cheaper than a brand new AAA game on a release day. Have it had the same price as Bayonetta and Vanquish (700 rubles) that would've been a good offer in my book, but 1200 is just too much.

abracadaver

Banned
Nov 30, 2017

In 2003 (or 2004?) ATI GPU's came bundled with a code for Half-Life 2 and Counter-Strike: Source

I bought one of those codes from ebay for 15€

Once the CS:S beta was out and I could redeem the ATI code I installed Steam and I've been a happy user since then. Always liked Steam.

matimeo

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Hard for me to imagine turning down 90's PC for 80's console, but I was a teenager when Doom came out so I can understand how my perception of it was different.

In the SNES era, our family TV had a TON of RF interference and phosphor bleed. Even our 1993 monitor which my family bought with burn in looked incredible compared to our 1983 TV. The greens and blues especially left a major impression on me, they were so vibrant. I can understand the draw of a good display.

Right now my daughter prefers the visuals of Mario Bros 1 to any other 2D Mario. The perception of games without witnessing the evolution of graphics is something I'll probably never understand.

Yeah age and demographic played a huge part around that time. Most of my friends couldn't afford PCs in their households, I was an outlier and we only had PC stuff because of my dads job.

The best part is my dad claimed he bought the NES for himself lol. Yet to this day I have never seen him play a single game on any platform. I wanted to make games because of Nintendo for sure.

SNES was huge for me. I convinced my parents to let me have it in my room. I had a crappy small Sony tv but I loved my SNES.

Also remember during that time Nintendo and Sega were heavily targeting kids my age. Going to toy stores or even Sears you would find kiosks to play consoles. Renting games was pretty big too.

I still remember my older counsin who was a police officer had a NES too and more games than I did. So anytime we went to visit his mom (my aunt) I would go down in the basement where he had his stuff and play his NES lol. They had no PC in their household.

Don't think people realize it wasn't that long ago that having a home PC meant you were pretty well off. Most people had to go to public libraries or use the computer labs at school so consoles and arcades kinda swept my generation right up.

But fast forward and I would say most of my friends in the industry and outside the industry play on multiple platforms.

Status
Not open for further replies.