• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How was the PC Gaming Era GOTY Awards?

• Finally, a PC exclusive won this bloody thing

Votes: 233 47.5%
  • Agent 47 was robbed

Votes: 69 14.1%
  • Final Fantasy was robbed

Votes: 12 2.4%
  • Anime was robbed

Votes: 76 15.5%
  • Epic Store was robbed

Votes: 101 20.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So we're really pretending a weaker product doesn't run a game worse now? Ok.

I assumed with my understanding of "being inferior" you would factor in more stuff than just performance but yes, a 1000 dollar box should have more processing power than a 200 dollar box.
I agree with that.

Anyway, as I said I'm not that interested in having this discussion right now.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
I assumed with my understanding of "being inferior" you would factor in more stuff than just performance but yes, a 1000 dollar box should have more processing power than a 200 dollar box.
I agree with that.

Anyway, as I said I'm not that interested in having this discussion right now.
I mean, we could discuss other flaws but the fuck's the point?

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
How long before the admins shove epic store into the title
We Epic Gaming Era now.
I'll say one for thing for the Epic Store: The layout is simple and clean.
Like, yeah, it doesn't inform me about what people thought, it doesn't have a forum for me to like ask questions. It doesn't have a guides, or mods built-in. It doesn't have custom tags, to search for similar games (which, to be fair, is not needed, as there are like 15 games on there)
But, at least by losing all that functionality you gain all this nice whitespace. So that's nice. Maybe I'll come around the idea of using this thing in a decade or two. And honestly, if they can moneyhat Atlus to release Persona on PC, I'd even agree to have "Epic Store Advocate" as my tag here.

Last edited:

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
With Ubi games I've been just getting Uplay versions of games anyway (because Ubisoft actually competes, particularly on pricing via third party sites). So I don't really have much invested in the Epic stuff.

Though I doubt Ubisoft was a simple "moneyhat." These guys have launchers of their own, and have been around for decades, and don't really need a cash infusion like some indie devs might. It is likely more strategic, thinking they will get more direct Uplay buyers this way, or that Epic has promised something to really leverage their Fortnite audience.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
GhostTrick got banned?

Yeah, sorry but no. Era Mod policy on Valve/Steam threads is the worst. I'm done trying to educate the masses in those threads - Era Admin wants misinformation and trolling in threads? Fine by me. I'll stick to here and PoliERA. I'm done.
His modwhining got out of control, Pixie. I fully stand behind Era Staff on this, they had to contain this dangerous lunatic to keep the peace of this forum.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
With Ubi games I've been just getting Uplay versions of games anyway (because Ubisoft actually competes, particularly on pricing via third party sites). So I don't really have much invested in the Epic stuff.

Their stat tracking is also really cool and a big reason why I actually like Uplay.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I see that the trend of some certain posters only popping up on this thread to shit on the entire community continues.

Oct 25, 2017
So here's a little something I've been wanting to ask you chaps:
How did you get to using Steam?

Me, my story with Steam starts all the way back to...this game!
81OpowLObAL._SY606_.jpg

I had gotten it and reading its instruction manual I found the key which I redeemed. At the time (2009ish when the game released), I assumed I needed to redeem the key so that I could play the game. I didn't have uch in terms of a laptop to run games properly on, but that was the first time I used Steam. I didn't think much of it at the time.
Eventually I got Portal 2 on PS3, and its Steam key wasn't redeemed so I went and redeemed it on Steam.
I wouldn't start gaming primarly on Steam/PC until around 2014. I think by then I'd bought Typing of the Dead Overkill and all those bundles, and in time I'd started building my Steam and eventually GOG library (the latter was for the many PnC games on it, and I kinda wanted to get them DRM-free as a preference).

So yeah, my whole history with Valve and Steam had nothing to do with Half Life or any Valve developed games; I didn't start being more open towards First Person Shooters or games with First Person view until Doom 2016! Prior to that I'd avoid FPS favouring Third person view, with a scant exceptions such as Deus Ex HR and I think Thief 2014.
It was just a happenstance of just using the service and then over time liking what the store had to offer and the overall many ways one could get games in that helped me build up my PC library.

I bought The Orange Box for Xbox 360 mainly for TF2. I had a lot of fun with console TF2, but I was envious of all the content updates that the PC version got. Just a couple months after buying the 360 version, I picked up a retail copy of TF2 PC at Best Buy for $10. That was my first Steam game.

I wouldn't start growing my Steam collection until Monday Night Combat got ported, at which point I noticed, hey, there's a lot of cool stuff here on Steam. Steam would ultimately be a boon for me, because even though I had been following the video game community and media for five years, there were vast swathes of the medium I had never touched. BioShock, Borderlands, Burnout, Dark Souls, Devil May Cry, Doom, The Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Grand Theft Auto, The King of Fighters, Psychonauts, Resident Evil, Saints Row, Tomb Raider, all these franchises and more, I played first on Steam.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
I do wonder what would happen if Durante, myself, Alexandros, GhostTrick and all the other regulars here stopped posting in those threads outright. We're essentially helping the admins/mods and contributing to the improvement of Era by correcting outdated information and misinformation and reporting trolling. Why should we do that when its such an obviously thankless task that doesn't result in any improvement over the long-term?

Gevin

Nov 2, 2017

Me, my story with Steam starts all the way back to...this game!
81OpowLObAL._SY606_.jpg

I had gotten it and reading its instruction manual I found the key which I redeemed. At the time (2009ish when the game released), I assumed I needed to redeem the key so that I could play the game. I didn't have uch in terms of a laptop to run games properly on, but that was the first time I used Steam. I didn't think much of it at the time.
Eventually I got Portal 2 on PS3, and its Steam key wasn't redeemed so I went and redeemed it on Steam.
I wouldn't start gaming primarly on Steam/PC until around 2014. I think by then I'd bought Typing of the Dead Overkill and all those bundles, and in time I'd started building my Steam and eventually GOG library (the latter was for the many PnC games on it, and I kinda wanted to get them DRM-free as a preference).

So yeah, my whole history with Valve and Steam had nothing to do with Half Life or any Valve developed games; I didn't start being more open towards First Person Shooters or games with First Person view until Doom 2016! Prior to that I'd avoid FPS favouring Third person view, with a scant exceptions such as Deus Ex HR and I think Thief 2014.
It was just a happenstance of just using the service and then over time liking what the store had to offer and the overall many ways one could get games in that helped me build up my PC library.

The Last Remnant is amazing.

I got in because there was a promotion for Half-Life 2 Deathmatch for free with certain video cards, and mine qualified (it also came with Portal demo and some stuff I can't remember). That was around 2009 and played a lot of that but stopped using a few months after.

I came for Dota 2 sporadically, but I stayed for good after we got Payday 2 with some friends (late 2014), after that I started getting a lot of games and using it every day.

Ganado

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I do wonder what would happen if Durante, myself, Alexandros, GhostTrick and all the other regulars here stopped posting in those threads outright. We're essentially helping the admins/mods and contributing to the improvement of Era by correcting outdated information and misinformation and reporting trolling. Why should we do that when its such an obviously thankless task that doesn't result in any improvement over the long-term?
Take a look at Neogaf i guess.

Knurek

Oct 26, 2017
More posts like this:

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
So, since instead of just writing about stuff that makes me go do this , I'll end my day with a positive note and write about Night in the Woods:

I heard about this game first on RPS, in 2013 I think it was. It certainly looked amazing, even at that early stage, and it's impressive how little has changed now in the final release (and I mean that in good way, they nailed the look really early, and that couldn't have been easy to get so right) It certainly sounded intriguing.

Playing it now, I'm really amazed how well the game nails its presentation from the very first screen. A short interactive fiction "minigame", where you get to choose a few alternatives, and the narrative just picks them up. I was kinda sad that this only happened once, would have been nice to have more of that sprinkled in the game. It also shows early on how powerful the writing in this game is. Mae's grandfather was clearly a super important person for her, and the game never once has to tell this directly. It begins by describing his last day, and every time Mae talks about him, you feel how she both loves being reminded of him, and how it hurts her that this part of her early life is forever gone, indicative of so many other things her home town represents. This game tells so much with so few things, every ellipsis and gesture chosen near perfectly.

679B9CC96A5F588085823D32ABFB171D857E37CD

And this doesn't mention the visual side of things: with only very few shapes and flat 2D objects, NITW manages to create such a vivid world. Leaves fluttering in the wind, animals scurrying around, chestnuts dropping from trees and rolling on the ground. Pedestrians walking, cars driving buy. It's insanely busy, and yet, there is a calmness to it, to everything. I get why it took years to make this game, it must have taken forever to get Possum Springs just right.

318c31a0cdd3cca5e2773a698bba08ca.jpg

(the image is from petethepanda , great gif! and impressive jump too )

On top of this all is the music, the soundtrack is brilliant, and so varied too. Hopeful when it needs to be, sad and slow when it calls for it. It captures the mood, in a rural town during autumn so well. I think I'll proceed to buy every one of the four soundtrack DLCs on Steam, just to support such great work.

I also really fell in love with the repetitive nature of the gameplay: you wake up as Mae, talk to your parents, explore the town, talk to a few people, breed some rats, talk to your friends (you know, the usual stuff), and then in the end to to sleep again. Each day has a "main event", and lots of smaller side ventures too, all optional, all of them great. There's a reason this thing clocked at 16 hours for me, and it's not only because I have a compulsive disorder to do everything and should get some help, but also because this game enables me by providing so much stuff do to, and talk to. Mae comments everything as well, and I really love the writing in this. It just has so much life for the lack of a better word. Never felt artificial or fake, could totally see real (admittedly dorky) people talk like this.
4ONcRow.gif

I'm not sure yet what I thought about the story and the ending. It's .. good, but it also leaves a lot open for interpretation, which is also good, but makes it harder to say anything about it. Maybe if get some distance from this game, and return to it later I'll have a better idea. I still recommend everyone to experience the story and it's conclusion.
3EB327FF9EFBA1CDF08B935F5529616BB0783A8D

All in all, this is certainly a game I won't forget soon. So go back in time and buy it during the last WinterSale.

Last edited:

yuraya

Oct 25, 2017
More posts like this:

Sounds like a new storefront competitor to steam is needed.

Sadly all the new pc storefronts are doing the exact opposite of what Valve has been doing aka not competing.

So I don't really see how an indie apocalypse can be prevented at this point. Assuming that is where everything is headed.

Indie devs don't want to compete with other indie devs. They want storefronts to compete with each other instead for their benefit. Good luck with all that.

Parsnip

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
There's literally no benefit for anyone to get Division 2 from the Epic's store so it seems pretty clear to me that Ubi is using Epic as their pawn to drive traffic away from Steam, directly to Uplay. Some folk will revolt and boycott the game/s, but most certainly a lot of people will just get it from UPlay (or GMG or whatever) instead, and then all of the MTX will go directly through Uplay. Plain as day.

If the PC regulars stopped posting in those threads there would be couple of pages of shitposting circlejerk from the usual suspects and then the threads would die because no one was fighting back and circlejerking gets you only so far.
(Though the obvious exception to the "circlejerking gets you only so far" rule is Hideo Kojima threads. They can keep it going for an eternity.)

Speaking of thankless tasks, moderating a video game discussion forum is certainly one of them. 🤷‍♀

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
There's literally no benefit for anyone to get Division 2 from the Epic's store so it seems pretty clear to me that Ubi is using Epic as their pawn to drive traffic away from Steam, directly to Uplay. Some folk will revolt and boycott the game/s, but most certainly a lot of people will just get it from UPlay (or GMG or whatever) instead, and then all of the MTX will go directly through Uplay. Plain as day.

Yeah. And I do wonder how Valve will react, because this is actually a good business plan on the part of Ubi, where Valve lowering their take across the board (not just "on sales over X") would make them rethink.

If the PC regulars stopped posting in those threads there would be couple of pages of shitposting circlejerk from the usual suspects and then the threads would die because no one was fighting back and circlejerking gets you only so far.

Lord, this sounds like Heaven compared to what we have now.
Speaking of thankless tasks, moderating a video game discussion forum is certainly one of them. 🤷‍♀

I legit would be fine being made a Mod on Era: I'd go into Valve/Steam threads and warn for posting misinformation and outright lying. Every other post would be me saying "Read the OP!". And it'd be the shortest stint for an Era Mod ever. :D

Edit:
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this just entitlement? Everybody wants to be the next undertale but when they're not, let's blame valve!

Yup. There's a lot of creators out there who think their product is so good, and that the only reason it's not selling like hot cakes is because of something Valve did, or because of flaws with Steam.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
Ubisoft games require Uplay.

They don't need to "drive traffic" away from Steam by also selling on Epic. They just need to stop selling on Steam, which they were going to do anyway.

Everybody who has played any Ubisoft game from the last few years already has Uplay. They weren't building it up as a client just to be cool; they were doing it so they could drop Steam when the time was right.

Activision will go full Battle.net next (the recent CoD had their best PC launch ever). Only 2K and the Japanese publishers will continue to sell on Steam.

OniluapL

Oct 25, 2017
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this just entitlement? Everybody wants to be the next undertale but when they're not, let's blame valve!

I mean, guys, it wasn't that long ago that steam fucked up the algorithm for discovery not long ago and that it actually hurt, substantially, small indie games? Sometimes... devs have actual reasons to complain.

Aangster

Oct 27, 2017
If The Division 2's dropping on Epic Games Store instead of Steam as the second layer to Uplay itself, what of other titles like Anno 1800 and Far Cry: New Dawn?

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, guys, it wasn't that long ago that steam fucked up the algorithm for discovery not long ago and that it actually hurt, substantially, small indie games? Sometimes... devs have actual reasons to complain.

There are absolutely issues with Steam, now and in the past. But it's hard to take seriously people whose arguments can oftentimes boil down to "I'm annoyed that there's so many games on this storefront competing with my title".

If The Division 2's dropping on Epic Games Store instead of Steam as the second layer to Uplay itself, what of other titles like Anno 1800 and Far Cry: New Dawn?

I imagine Anno is such a niche franchise that removing it from Steam would hurt revenue more than the increased cut from Epic would increase it by. Far Cry is... debatable.

Also, let's not forget that Epic Store has no reviews, and that The Division 2 being shifted to Epic may not mean that Ubi are moving wholsale to the Epic Store, but rather they may have an ulterior motive: they know it's not great, and don't want Steam Store reviews dragging down the sales.

yuraya

Oct 25, 2017

They don't need to "drive traffic" away from Steam by also selling on Epic. They just need to stop selling on Steam, which they were going to do anyway.

Everybody who has played any Ubisoft game from the last few years already has Uplay. They weren't building it up as a client just to be cool; they were doing it so they could drop Steam when the time was right.

Activision will go full Battle.net next (the recent CoD had their best PC launch ever). Only 2K and the Japanese publishers will continue to sell on Steam.

Only reason CoD had their best launch ever was because of blackout. If it wasn't for that it would have been an awful launch that was much worse than WW2 on steam. If they did launch BLOPS4 on steam it would have also been their biggest pc launch ever. This was just a case of them being too scared to compete with PUBG, CSGO and Siege. All Shooters that are just killing it on steam.

I don't really see what else Activision has going forward. They don't release enough games on a yearly basis for it to matter really. Sekiro and Crash are on Steam. Their next CoD will probably have a new battle royale which will only hurt their current blackout since there is no way someone as greedy as Activision will do it differently. Destiny 3 is another big game they have on the horizon but Destiny 2 wasn't too hot on PC seeing how they were giving that game away for free and bundled less than a year after launch.

Losing Ubi games will be big for Steam because they are an actual AAA workhorse who have released a ton of big games this gen. But again I don't see a world where Ubi completely abandons Steam going forward. Siege is huge and the first Division peaked at like 130k on launch day for Steam. Once Ubi sees that Epic sales aren't duplicating steam success and their own store isn't pulling numbers to make up for steams loss they will continue releasing games on Steam. It just doesn't make sense to fully abandon.

JD3Nine

The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
Texas, United States
I don't think there is anyone in here who thinks Steam is perfect. But, afaik every other store on PC besides Itch is curated, so where do these guys think they are gonna go? They most likely aren't getting in anywhere else.

OniluapL

Oct 25, 2017
There are absolutely issues with Steam, now and in the past. But it's hard to take seriously people whose arguments can oftentimes boil down to "I'm annoyed that there's so many games on this storefront competing with my title".

Yeah, and I agree, but that isn't the case of the tweet. It isn't even really that in favor of Epic Store, it even says they should open up. I think we get too defensive, for legitimate reasons most of the time, but that's no excuse to go complaing about every single developer voicing concerns about their livelihood.

I don't think there is anyone in here who thinks Steam is perfect. But, afaik every other store on PC besides Itch is curated, so where do these guys think they are gonna go? They most likely aren't getting in anywhere else.

I don't really think "where else they can go" is a good argument, to be honest. And, well, itch.io is a place where they can go, that's why many champion itch to try and make it a bigger deal.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017

They steadily improved their sales on Steam, they had 3 games in the top revenue 2018 list. When is the time "right"?

DLalvt1.png

JD3Nine

The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
Texas, United States
Yeah, and I agree, but that isn't the case of the tweet. It isn't even really that in favor of Epic Store, it even says they should open up. I think we get too defensive, for legitimate reasons most of the time, but that's no excuse to go complaing about every single developer voicing concerns about their livelihood.

I don't really think "where else they can go" is a good argument, to be honest. And, well, itch.io is a place where they can go, that's why many champion itch to try and make it a bigger deal.

What's bad about the argument? What other store is going to let them in? I'm not trying to disparage indie devs btw. It's just not really up to them where they can sell their games. It's either Steam or Itch. They certainly aren't getting into the Epic store, at least for now.

wihio

Oct 28, 2017
There is simply no way one can call poaching exclusives "competition." (Yes, it is poaching when you see long-standing Steam Store pages disappear overnight) Sure, it forces some folks to a new store for a purchase or two, but lets be honest-- this shit is only negative for gamers in general. If Epic had any faith in their store/delivery system they would not rely on shitty tactics to pull people to their store. Provide a better product, not edge out the competition with $$$ by buying out exclusive releases. Lebowski sums it all up, because really, [they]'re not wrong....

40Idny0.png

The good thing about all this is that the state of flux we are currently enduring is not the final form. Perhaps over the next 6 months or year we will get a handle on Epic Store numbers (are devs really coming out ahead number-wise?), see Valve throw devs a bone, and let all the developers settle into their new launchers. Who knows, but currently it is a joke to not release on Steam as for the consumer it really is the best option.

Following all this fractionalized store BS, I hereby declare that I have entered Ye Olde Backlog Winter. I will hunker down, deep in my thousand game backlog, and hope to weather the storm with some vintage (see Steam Winter Sale 2018) classics. Spring (Sale) is coming... I hope! Haha

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017

What a lot of people - consumers, gamers, devs, pubs - don't realise (or at least, appear they don't realise) is that the number of games being released is just unsustainable when viewed within the context of number of gamers, amount of free cash and amount of free time. Look at it closely and it becomes pretty clear that there's just too many games out there, with more every day, and therefore, yes,

Within the next half year you're going to start seeing indies go out of business

Because that's bound to happen when a market has hit saturation-point. That sucks, it does. But to then say

it'll be almost entirely on Valve's shoulders.

Is just... How? It's like blaming Amazon for authors being poor. Yes, Amazon has contributed to there being more authors generally, with self-publishing on Kindle. But there's already a vast number of books and comics being released on a weekly and monthly schedule - too many for one person to read, and too many for all authors to be successful - and that would be true regardless of if Amazon existed. So to somehow think that this industry should behave differently, and that storefronts are to blame for saturation - or over-saturation - of the market is a mixture of privilege and a belief that the videogame industry is somehow "special".

Mar 23, 2018

I don't really remember if my current account was my first Steam account, but it's the only one I can say I've used for so long. Anyway, I got into Steam after buying a physical copy of Football Manager. I didn't know about launchers back then, so it asked me to create an account on Steam and so I did.

I remember knowing about the existence of Steam when trying to find ways to play Half Life 2, CS: Source or GMod back in school. I played Half-Life and CS1.6 when I was a little kid at my cousins' place, so I was interested in playing these games.

Status
Not open for further replies.