• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How was the PC Gaming Era GOTY Awards?

• Finally, a PC exclusive won this bloody thing

Votes: 233 47.5%
  • Agent 47 was robbed

Votes: 69 14.1%
  • Final Fantasy was robbed

Votes: 12 2.4%
  • Anime was robbed

Votes: 76 15.5%
  • Epic Store was robbed

Votes: 101 20.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
Epic Store is incidental.

Is it? It's very likely that Epic spent lots of money to make this happen. Unless pc gamers actually vote with their wallets against this (which they probably won't), much more of these deals will follow. Epic is aiming to keep the most popular pc games away from Steam. It's a disgusting way to become a major player in the pc games industry.

Makes me regret defending Ubi and Uplay, always thought of them as reasonable, just release everything everywhere. Very disappointing.

I feel the same. Ubisoft still releasing their games in the storefront/ecosystem that the majority of pc gamers prefer was an amazing pro consumer move. Thanks Epic...

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
I need to play more Night in the Woods. Should really get that finished this week/weekend.

JD3Nine

The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
Texas, United States
This UbiSoft development is quite disappointing. I guess selling millions of copies on Steam wasn't good enough. There is no way they are going to move that many copies on the Epic store.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017

ZKenir

Mar 31, 2018
Epic is aiming to keep the most popular pc games away from Steam. It's a disgusting way to become a major player in the pc games industry.
I mean this was the obvious route they were going to take from the beginning, of course they wouldn't rely only on indies.

I am still baffled by them not offering cross promotions between purchasing/pre ordering a game on their store and fortnite items/skins, sounds like that would be a good way to get people who only play fortnite to purchase some games even if they'll never boot them up, and I expect to implement something similar at some point.

Personally I am not affected since the last ubisoft game I played was the first AC for a total of 82 minutes before I dropped it.

Deleted member 5864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I never really cared about publisher leaving the platform or whatever. God knows I have my own problems with Valve's tendency to make storefronts before games, and leveraging their userbase to do the work for them on many categories, instead of you know, hiring more people and offering a better services.

But with all the Epic store, indies jumping ship, Ubisoft talk, etc. I still have yet to see a convincing argument about how this is good for consumers like me. And there really isn't one when it comes to moneyhatting exclusives. Funny tho that mainly console players are the ones arguing in favor of it, when they were the ones who cried when certain series abandoned their exclusivity last gen (LOL FF XIII reaction) and cried again when platform holders moneyhat exclusives like Tomb Raider to no discernible gain.

Kiraly

Oct 30, 2017
You're talking to a 'Steam needs competition. Monopolies are never good.' fella. One of those never before seen in any PC-related thread. Save your time.

Haha, sure thing.

This trailer is HYPING ME THE FUCK UP.

Can't wait! Until 1 Feb sadly, because for inexplicable reasons Capcom decided to delay yet another of their games for an arbitrary amount of time on PC.

This PC-related post in the Ace Combat 7 trailer thread was not even six hours ago. I must have posted it because I wanted to tread on Steam fanatics later in the day. Pathetic gatekeeping from you.

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This UbiSoft development is quite disappointing. I guess selling millions of copies on Steam wasn't good enough. There is no way they are going to move that many copies on the Epic store.

But by leaving Steam they will move more on Uplay where they won't have to pay any fee to a third party. Plus they get those sweet Epic moneyhat bucks.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
So here's a little something I've been wanting to ask you chaps:
How did you get to using Steam?

Me, my story with Steam starts all the way back to...this game!
81OpowLObAL._SY606_.jpg

I had gotten it and reading its instruction manual I found the key which I redeemed. At the time (2009ish when the game released), I assumed I needed to redeem the key so that I could play the game. I didn't have uch in terms of a laptop to run games properly on, but that was the first time I used Steam. I didn't think much of it at the time.
Eventually I got Portal 2 on PS3, and its Steam key wasn't redeemed so I went and redeemed it on Steam.
I wouldn't start gaming primarly on Steam/PC until around 2014. I think by then I'd bought Typing of the Dead Overkill and all those bundles, and in time I'd started building my Steam and eventually GOG library (the latter was for the many PnC games on it, and I kinda wanted to get them DRM-free as a preference).

So yeah, my whole history with Valve and Steam had nothing to do with Half Life or any Valve developed games; I didn't start being more open towards First Person Shooters or games with First Person view until Doom 2016! Prior to that I'd avoid FPS favouring Third person view, with a scant exceptions such as Deus Ex HR and I think Thief 2014.
It was just a happenstance of just using the service and then over time liking what the store had to offer and the overall many ways one could get games in that helped me build up my PC library.

thirtypercent

Oct 18, 2018
This PC-related post in the Ace Combat 7 trailer thread was not even six hours ago. I must have posted it because I wanted to tread on Steam fanatics later in the day. Pathetic gatekeeping from you.

Seen once in a PC-related thread. You got me. Meanwhile that nonsense about competition and monopoly remains exactly that.

Nov 3, 2017
Tizoc For me it was probably Counterstrike/Half-Life/Half-Life 2 but i didn't register until i had a machine that could play the game properly lol. That was... 8th Jan 2005 according to my profile.

JD3Nine

The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
Texas, United States
But by leaving Steam they will move more on Uplay where they won't have to pay any fee to a third party. Plus they get those sweet Epic moneyhat bucks.
I guess. It just seems like an unnecessary gamble to me. People were still buying a ton of Ubi games on Steam despite some good reasons to choose Uplay. I don't think it's safe to assume that everyone is just going to move over to Uplay.

BoosterDuck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure these EPIC GAMES STORE EXCLUSIVE™ games will show up on Steam in the future
this is just an inconvenience for people who expected to purchase the games day 1

Kiraly

Oct 30, 2017
Seen once in a PC-related thread. You got me. Meanwhile that nonsense about competition and monopoly remains exactly that.

Yeah because obviously I'm going to waste my time listing all my past posts in any PC-related threads to desperately show I'm part of this gatekeeping clique. Get outta here with that bullshit.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
I think Darksiders or Dark Souls retail were the first game DVDs I was forced to start using Steam for (I resisted digital as long as possible).

I didn't fully embrace it until maybe a year later, but I'm exclusively digital now, with most of my library on Steam (though I have exclusive stuff on Origin, and I went with Uplay for Origins, and sometime this year, Odyssey). But I'm still pretty selective, so I don't have a massive library, nor any investment in the social aspect of any of the clients.

When is the remaster coming to PC? :(

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
when they release catherine classic first and not kiwami pc which they announced 6 months ago
Yakuza 1+2 Kiwami bundle is my guess.
Yakuza Kiwami....is still IMO the weakest game in the series, which is saying something when even the ORIGINAL Yakuza 1 is the weakest game in the series. I think in order to make it more worthwhile, they'd sell both together as a pack or bundle for better value.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
It's one of the teaser images that Sega has been posting in the past several days. The tease is most likely about Catherine Classic getting a PC version, and the image files themselves contain game keys. You can read more about it in this thread.
I had no idea! Pretty ironic if Catherine would release earlier than Yakuza Kiwami tho.

Yakuza 1+2 Kiwami bundle is my guess.
Yakuza Kiwami....is still IMO the weakest game in the series, which is saying something when even the ORIGINAL Yakuza 1 is the weakest game in the series. I think in order to make it more worthwhile, they'd sell both together as a pack or bundle for better value.
That would be amazing... but I guess a much longer wait now.

OniluapL

Oct 25, 2017
p

81OpowLObAL._SY606_.jpg

I had gotten it and reading its instruction manual I found the key which I redeemed. At the time (2009ish when the game released), I assumed I needed to redeem the key so that I could play the game. I didn't have uch in terms of a laptop to run games properly on, but that was the first time I used Steam. I didn't think much of it at the time.
Eventually I got Portal 2 on PS3, and its Steam key wasn't redeemed so I went and redeemed it on Steam.
I wouldn't start gaming primarly on Steam/PC until around 2014. I think by then I'd bought Typing of the Dead Overkill and all those bundles, and in time I'd started building my Steam and eventually GOG library (the latter was for the many PnC games on it, and I kinda wanted to get them DRM-free as a preference).

So yeah, my whole history with Valve and Steam had nothing to do with Half Life or any Valve developed games; I didn't start being more open towards First Person Shooters or games with First Person view until Doom 2016! Prior to that I'd avoid FPS favouring Third person view, with a scant exceptions such as Deus Ex HR and I think Thief 2014.
It was just a happenstance of just using the service and then over time liking what the store had to offer and the overall many ways one could get games in that helped me build up my PC library.

It was waaay after most of you guys, I think. 2012 or 2013. I was an innocent teenager that didn't really think about the concept of... paying for games (please don't ban me). It was too cumbersome or too expensive and I also wasn't nearly as invested on the medium. I knew about steam as a thing, but I didn't have a credit card (which I needed at the time, or thought I needed, not sure), but eventually someone told me that I could pay by other means, add that to growing feelings of guilt and... here we are. My first game was an indie game I felt bad about playing using... well, "other platforms".

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
I think Darksiders or Dark Souls retail were the first game DVDs I was forced to start using Steam for (I resisted digital as long as possible).
I personally liked the idea of digital content, and over time I didn't mind it as that was the best way for me to play PC games since it's not the biggest gaming platform over here. Esp. when retail pc games are pricey =_=

Tizoc For me it was probably Counterstrike/Half-Life/Half-Life 2 but i didn't register until i had a machine that could play the game properly lol. That was... 8th Jan 2005 according to my profile.
Heh kinda similar to my case a bit.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
My shitty store-bought desktop had an ATI graphics card, so I got HL2: Lost Coast, HL2: Death Match, and possibly some other game for free through a promotion on Steam. I played a shitton of HL2:DM despite it running like crap. Incredibly fun. Does anyone remember those weird RP servers? Good times.

The first game I bought on Steam was actually Geometry Wars.

Last edited:

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Not surprised by the Epic-Ubi thing. Ubi has been decent for way too long, it was never going to last. As for Epic's pathetic moneyhats, I suggest that everyone votes with their wallets. I'm not installing it on my PC, ever.

ZKenir

Mar 31, 2018

81OpowLObAL._SY606_.jpg

I started with Skyrim since I couldn't play MMOs anymore back then as my connection was terrible, and when I mean terrible I mean that peaking at 200kbps was good for me back then.

Oct 25, 2017
Steam is extremely useful for Big Picture as it allows playing PC games console-style in your living room. My particular use case is that the PC itself is in another room and I use an Nvidia Shield to show the games on the TV. All the dozen launchers are now putting a stop to this.

Nvidia Shield itself does allow you to directly launch games that it detects, which is helpful, but it depends on Geforce Experience knowing that it's a game, so Epic store indies will not be compatible unless manually added to it. I always prefer launching Big Picture and going into game through that. And Steam Link owners won't have that Nvidia launcher feature.

yuraya

Oct 25, 2017
I'm guessing the rest of the Ubi games releasing for the year will also be on Epic but not moneyhatted. Meaning they'll also be on steam like Darksiders 3.

It would be crazy if Epic moneyhatted their entire year lineup tho. That would be an enormous amount of money.

Deleted member 32374

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Recettear is great, why did I own it for five years and never play it???? Its JRPG cartlife without the soul crushing.

Wok

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
France

I installed Steam and created an account when Portal was being given away for free.

Edit: Actually, no, I created my account a year before to buy Super Meat Boy. I guess it was a Steam exclusive.

Last edited:

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
I need to play more Night in the Woods. Should really get that finished this week/weekend.
I finished it two days ago, kinda miss playing it each day over the last two weeks or so.
Such an amazing game. I think I'll write my thoughts on it down some time, still processing a lot of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.