• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How was the PC Gaming Era GOTY Awards?

• Finally, a PC exclusive won this bloody thing

Votes: 233 47.5%
  • Agent 47 was robbed

Votes: 69 14.1%
  • Final Fantasy was robbed

Votes: 12 2.4%
  • Anime was robbed

Votes: 76 15.5%
  • Epic Store was robbed

Votes: 101 20.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amzin

Oct 25, 2017
GMG has been selling PS4 keys for ages, and with (some) discounts, as well as all the stores you can buy Xbox codes on. That Tweet is really oblivious, and the Humble-Nintendo is only remarkable at all because it shows Nintendo might be entering the year 2000 finally.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Been playing some more Divinity OS2, got out of Fort Joy, and am in the marshes now (~15 hours in). Still not really feeling it, and I can't quite put my finger on why that is. The writing is fine and it certainly looks nice. I guess it seems a little dull/generic fantasy so far and there aren't really any stakes. Does it pick up eventually? I'm having a hard time motivating myself to keep playing.

GMG has been selling PS4 keys for ages, and with (some) discounts, as well as all the stores you can buy Xbox codes on. That Tweet is really oblivious, and the Humble-Nintendo is only remarkable at all because it shows Nintendo might be entering the year 2000 finally.

Yeah. You've been able to legitimately buy digital codes for Nintendo games off of from Gamesrocket for a long time now (both US and EU). The theatrics of it all are amusing though, despite its transparency.

Last edited:

TenaciousD

Banned
Mar 6, 2018
Anybody actually manage to buy anything from GamesRepublic? I can't even load the site, but gg.deals says like half the entries in my wishlist were $0.13.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Yup. Also I would have liked to read his rant if it would be Microsoft.

TouchOfGray

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do all character action games have absolute dog shit cameras or is that just a Metal Gear Rising problem? Completely killed what seemed to be a great game to me.

ghoulie

Oct 28, 2017
Been playing some more Divinity OS2, got out of Fort Joy, and am in the marshes now (~15 hours in). Still not really feeling it, and I can't quite put my finger on why that is. The writing is fine and it certainly looks nice. I guess it seems a little dull/generic fantasy so far and there aren't really any stakes. Does it pick up eventually? I'm having a hard time motivating myself to keep playing.

If you don't like it at this point, I don't see anything that'll change your mind later. Sure you get new spells, but it's not going to radically change up the combat or anything.

JarrodL

Oct 27, 2017
The plot starts off once you reach Driftwood, this also opens up the map. May want to wait until then, but I don't think the feeling of 'generic fantasy' will change if it hasn't by now. I'm 70+ hours in myself (just got my 3rd source point), and honestly enjoying the game very much. It's a huge improvement over the first DOS game in terms of characters and story to me at least.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah. You've been able to legitimately buy digital codes for Nintendo games off of from Gamesrocket for a long time now (both US and EU). The theatrics of it all are amusing though, despite its transparency.
Yeah I tried my best with divinity 1 and 2 but they're not for me.

Deleted member 1759

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Europe
Speaking of D:OS2. I actually finished it today.
wSEaZqP.jpg

Just gonna copy and paste my thoughts on it from the 52 games thread
Starting the year off great with this gem of an RPG. I'm neither a big fan of isometric games nor of turn-based/strategic combat in RPGs but D:OS2 still managed to keep me invested right until the end. The things I liked the most about the game - and the thing I value the most in any game - were the story, the characters, and the choices/consequences. A great narrator, interesting characters, well written but at times also fun dialogue and it actually felt that the choices I made had a significant impact. Another thing I liked was the exploration and world design. A lot of different areas to explore with a lot of little secrets to find which rewarded you with some good loot. Speaking of loot, there is a lot of it and it sometimes can get a bit overwhelming. But I enjoy comparing the new stuff to the stuff I already use and then ponder if extra physical armor is worth the loss of a +2 Constitution boost for example. And since you can have a party of up to four characters, this can sometimes take more time than you thought it would.

But there are also things I didn't like that much. As I mentioned I'm not a big fan of turn-based combat but I kinda liked it here until I hit the 60h mark and then just had enough of it. It just wasn't fun for me anymore and I actually started to use a trainer with Fast Kill and Unlimited AP to "skip" some of the fights. But it could also have been my own fault (kinda) since I didn't fully embrace all the options the combat system gave me. Also, the Nameless Isles was by far the most boring and tedious area in the game and I didn't have a good time exploring it. Luckily it was also quite short.

But still, D:OS2 is an incredible game and everyone who likes RPGs should give it a try. If you are like me and don't enjoy turn-based combat, you'll still have a good time with it. And if you like turn-based combat, you're gonna love it.

I'm not set on the score yet. I'll have to sleep another night or two on it.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
Oh wow, I didn't know Dragons Dogma was coming to the Switch. I could see that getting me to finally finish that game, like it did with Skyrim.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the responses on D:OS2. I think I'll press on to at least Driftwood and see how I feel about it then. Perhaps the recent string of roguelikes I've been playing through has simply spoiled my patience for slower paced games :')

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
did a deinstall and installing the previous version from December.
Looks ok for now. let's see what happens tomorrow.

Oct 25, 2017
In what way? I think it's one of the most polished indie RPG released these past few years. Most of them were released either buggy, crash heavy, incomplete, or combination of all. ATOM is none of them.
My issues weren't really bug related, it was just the design that soured me on the game, combat in particular.

I run into a random encounter on the overworld map (also the slooooooooow movement on the overworld map is killing me) that I can't escape from. Like 4 guys spawn all around me and they get to go first. The first one throws a grenade that immediately kills both my companions. Then everybody shoots me and I'm dead without ever even getting a chance to react. That's just baaaaaaaad. Healing your companions is just a pain in the ass, the inventory system is garbage. Also the english translation is really.....noticable.
I'm not even saying the game is bad because I don't think it is (well, some encounters aside) but it's decidedly not for me.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
You should play Kenshi. It's the second coming of open-ended RPGs.

I'm losing days to it...
I'm not really into strategy/town management game.

My issues weren't really bug related, it was just the design that soured me on the game, combat in particular.

I run into a random encounter on the overworld map (also the slooooooooow movement on the overworld map is killing me) that I can't escape from. Like 4 guys spawn all around me and they get to go first. The first one throws a grenade that immediately kills both my companions. Then everybody shoots me and I'm dead without ever even getting a chance to react. That's just baaaaaaaad. Healing your companions is just a pain in the ass, the inventory system is garbage. Also the english translation is really.....noticable.
I'm not even saying the game is bad because I don't think it is (well, some encounters aside) but it's decidedly not for me.
Yeah, early on the game is very hard. You're supposed to run away a lot, and reload your autosaves. The game autosaves everytime you leave a town for exactly this reason. Random encounter can screw you up real bad.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
The upgraded VR version of Gridrunner included in the Llamasoft minatour arcade volume 1 is just as impressive as Polybius. Might be my favorite shoot em up/arcade style game I've played this gen and the way the different grids pop out is incredible.

Still brilliant in 2d as well.

Last edited:

Teeth

Nov 4, 2017
1. Yes.

2 But generally it's not that hard to work around that.

I'll say that one thing DmC got much more right than other character action games was the camera. It pulls out properly in combat situations (variant on enemy density) and they specifically have it coded so that enemies will not attack if they are off screen (which, funnily enough, becomes a strategy at higher difficulties...you kite an enemy to a corner and while doing a combo on them, you rotate the camera away from the other enemies towards the walls.) Enemies will try to route themselves into view before doing attacks, which is interesting from an AI standpoint.

One thing that a lot of people don't recognize about "bad cameras" is that they are 50% about level geometry design. Low ceilings, L-shaped rooms, narrow corridors, and lots of tall visual clutter (and the way it handles said clutter) create "bad cameras" more often than improper framing.

DmC generally used very wide open, boxy rooms for combat against multiple opponents. And they always had massively vaulted ceilings (if there were any at all). That allowed the camera to pull wide and upwards.

Lots of CAGs will design the camera to zoom into combo sets (to make the combat feel more "visceral") and/or rotate it to the side (like a fighting game to show the animation and spacing better (which generally hurts visibility). DmC keeps it behind and high, which gives much better spacial awareness.

Also, the complete lack of lock-on means that the camera doesn't whip around violently based on enemy movement patterns (but, of course, soft lock causes other problems).

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017

I started playing on friday and was also weirdly not feeling it as well until I was finally able get out of the fort and explore the map and get into fights more regularly. I think inside the fort it feels like only the role playing aspect of the game takes bigger focus but once outside you start to be able to do your own things and the gameplay becomes more balanced overall. Once I was fighting, looting, finding new quests and in the early stages of character/party building I got into the game more.

This assumes you've played D:OS1 or similarly CRPGs. If you haven't and are asking when this game will click with you then I am afraid idk the answer to that question.

zkylon

Oct 25, 2017
i'm still confused how the canteen in monster hunter works

like where do you get ingredients from and what all those icons are

very confusing

also where can i get vegetarian sushi

Gevin

Nov 2, 2017
i'm still confused how the canteen in monster hunter works

like where do you get ingredients from and what all those icons are

very confusing

also where can i get vegetarian sushi

Not sure about the feline skills and all of that, but you get ingredients just by playing like everything else.

I'm pretty sure fishing adds that fish to the ingredient list, you get some as rewards from quests, collecting stuff on the fields, etc

zkylon

Oct 25, 2017
1MSJaX5.jpg

(idk i think monsters look cuter when sleeping than when dead)

today was a relaxing day of camaraderie and egg hunting

multiplayer in this game is pretty weird, you gotta go through lots of hoops to get the thing working and even then it feels pretty clunky, but it works pretty well and it's fun

and i still think capturing monsters is nicer than killing them, they look adorable when they're sleeping and idk killing exhausted, limping monsters just feels a bit cruel

it's kinda funny that i feel bad about killing monsters in this game while i kept torturing the npcs in dishonored by spooking them with flying dead bodies and springrazoring guards and other nasty shit, no remorse

Not sure about the feline skills and all of that, but you get ingredients just by playing like everything else.

I'm pretty sure fishing adds that fish to the ingredient list, you get some as rewards from quests, collecting stuff on the fields, etc
yeah it's (as everything in this game lol) not very well explained

i do get the feeling you're supposed to be pretty liberal with your using of items, research points, weapon upgrades, armor spheres, etc., since it's rare to be left without materials

i'm guessing later on the game will force some tough choices on you unless you're really into grinding but we'll cross that bridge when we get there

Premium Ghoul

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
i do get the feeling you're supposed to be pretty liberal with your using of items, research points, weapon upgrades, armor spheres, etc., since it's rare to be left without materials

i'm guessing later on the game will force some tough choices on you unless you're really into grinding but we'll cross that bridge when we get there
Research points will basically never run out because you barely have to spend them on anything, but armour spheres and money will disappear fast once you start getting into the late game upgrades.

Gevin

Nov 2, 2017
Just spent 1 hour grinding a monster for one particular material and accidentally sold it in the reward screen :(

EDIT: got 2 in the next attempt so all's fine

Last edited:

KainXVIII

Oct 26, 2017
Fuuu~! I think these 0 bytes Steam updates to games already fucked up my DQ11 Orchestral Mod two times in a row.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Fuuu~! I think these 0 bytes Steam updates to games already fucked up my DQ11 Orchestral Mod two times in a row.
It's just the .exe getting overwritten, which is what Steam is "supposed" to do (I assume these 0 Bytes updates are some weird thing going on, I got that for a few games recently). The updated version of the mod does not change the .exe, and is thus far more robust against any potential updates to the game. You might not even have to redownload all the source files, check the Steam Guide page.

Status
Not open for further replies.