• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How was the PC Gaming Era GOTY Awards?

• Finally, a PC exclusive won this bloody thing

Votes: 233 47.5%
  • Agent 47 was robbed

Votes: 69 14.1%
  • Final Fantasy was robbed

Votes: 12 2.4%
  • Anime was robbed

Votes: 76 15.5%
  • Epic Store was robbed

Votes: 101 20.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
1481ja.jpg
What game?

astro

Oct 25, 2017
OK, so Gears of War 4 is creeping into my top 5 shooter of the generation.

Completely unexpected, I know the game reviewed well but buzz seemed non-existent. And it really is good so far. If this keeps it up it's going to join my favourite FPS games of all time.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Dat Hollow Knight speedrun doe
Radiance taken down while at 1 HP. Friggin' awesome and tense moment

Also awesome video game music for the sake of awesome video game music~

MD vs. SNES music is always gonna be a case by case basis 🤔

Ascheroth

Oct 25, 2017
Tales of Subnautica, or "where a game about exploration has terrified you so much you're willingly limiting your exploration areas, because it's freaking terrifying."

Also, Subnautica's story is actually extremely intriguing and makes me simultaneously want to know more about what this alien planet harbors and terrified of it.

Note: Subnautica is most definitely a Horror game, don't let anyone tell you anything else, they lie!
Note 2: Freedom mode (without Hunger and Thirst) makes it way funner for me, and I don't think it loses much without food and drink busywork.
Note 3: Subnautica is most definitely a Horror game.

Hm, I thought they changed the color so there was no such thing as a "bsod" anymore. Maybe I'm thinking of red rings. Still waiting for that restart tho.

3a8385e8-e2bc-4d76-afvesa.jpeg
I didn't know about that nice blue screen until Deponia Doomsday crashed on me during the final cutscene. That dumb :( smiley makes it so nonserious, at first I actually laughed and thought, it was part of the game's humor..!

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
Tales of Subnautica, or "where a game about exploration has terrified you so much you're willingly limiting your exploration areas, because it's freaking terrifying."

Also, Subnautica's story is actually extremely intriguing and makes me simultaneously want to know more about what this alien planet harbors and terrified of it.

Note: Subnautica is most definitely a Horror game, don't let anyone tell you anything else, they lie!
Note 2: Freedom mode (without Hunger and Thirst) makes it way funner for me, and I don't think it loses much without food and drink busywork.

And now play it in VR.

Seriously. Subnautica has some problems in VR, but it is just soooo good to run around your own base in VR and actually see that shipwreck that feels like 10m in non-VR feeling like 50m in VR.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I will never play SN. My fear of swimming in games like Tomb Raider is already bad enough... actual shivers of terror...

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
OK, so Gears of War 4 is creeping into my top 5 shooter of the generation.

Completely unexpected, I know the game reviewed well but buzz seemed non-existent. And it really is good so far. If this keeps it up it's going to join my favourite FPS games of all time.

Gears of War is not FPS :P

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
Sniper Elite 4 seems to make my pc blue screen, that's fun. Game is good while it works tho.

JarrodL

Oct 27, 2017
nice. 999's repetition is starting to get me tbh, mainly because its just me mashing through all the text until the puzzle rooms, then do puzzles I already did, then more ashing through more text until I finally get to the bit where it splits.

Flow chart helps but not much.
Just to make sure, you do know you can just click on the flowchart and it will skip ahead to that place while keeping your last choices intact, right? There's no need to re-do puzzles you've already completed, that's the whole benefit of flowchart being added compared to original DS version.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah this game awakens something real dark inside me. And I thought Gorn made me blood lusty.

Joe Spangle

Nov 1, 2017

Agree with all of this.

And now play it in VR.

Seriously. Subnautica has some problems in VR, but it is just soooo good to run around your own base in VR and actually see that shipwreck that feels like 10m in non-VR feeling like 50m in VR.

Agree with this as well. Its great in VR despite some issues.

smuguire

Oct 27, 2017
hey Harebrained Schemes, how about fixing this Battletech sound bug so I can play the expansion I bought

Puggles

Sometimes, it's not a fart
Nov 3, 2017
Finally did a Route C playthrough in Neir: Automata last night. Took about 8 hours and I finished it in one sitting. What a great game!

Knurek

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone who stops Nier: Automata before Route C is depriving themselves of one of the greatest gaming achievements.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I don't like Atom RPG that much. It has a good core but is just too rough to be fun for me. And, gotta be honest, it just seems unfair in a lot of ways, I dunno. Maybe I have become soft.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Just to make sure, you do know you can just click on the flowchart and it will skip ahead to that place while keeping your last choices intact, right? There's no need to re-do puzzles you've already completed, that's the whole benefit of flowchart being added compared to original DS version.

yes and i have, but for example, let me use hypothetical door numbers here for the super duper spoiler sensitive types.

Ending 1 is doors 21, 44, 56
Ending 2 is doors 22, 45, 57

so far so good, all different. But:

Ending 3 is doors 21, 45, 58

so now it repeats the first ending first door, but needs the second ending second door. so I had to start from the first door again, I couldnt just skip to the second door. I mean, right?

matimeo

UI/UX Game Industry Veteran
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Need some suggestions of a good RTS game for someone new to RTS. I was considering Halo Wars despite not loving the Halo universe it's at least familiar to me.

Any other suggestions?

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Need some suggestions of a good RTS game for someone new to RTS. I was considering Halo Wars despite not living the Halo universe it's at least familiar to me.

Any other suggestions?
Stacraft Remastered, maybe? It gives you a good amount to do, even if you never go online.

Everyone should see the Zerg at their best.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
The best RTS for beginners are in my opinion

The aforemtioned Halo Wars, as the game is rather easy and the individual missions small in scope.
Due to the restriction of being designed around a gamepad, the game doesn't require a lot of map awareness or micro management. Which i would generally consider huge downsides, but for a beginner that might just be right.

Age of Mythology, also fairly easy from my memory, it's a lot more complex than halo wars, but that makes it a good gateway into the more challenging RTS games.

Starcraft 2 is a lot more heavy on the microanagement part, but on the easier difficulties it's not all that hard either and the campaign is structured well to ease you into all of its gameplay elements. Technically you would have to play the more challenging starcraft 1 first to understand the story, but unfortuantely the story is trash either way so you can just enjoy the beautiful cgi cutscenes and amazing mission design.

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
I liked Halo Wars. I like Halo in general tbh, but not enough to buy an Xbox. Oops. MicroSoft pls.

My favorite RTS was Total War Shogun 2, but then Redshell happened. So I dunno, half-way tempted to blacklist the dev for life.

OP
OP
MRORANGE

MRORANGE

Nice thread btw :)
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Just a reminder, we have 33 responses so far, lets keep it going! Less than 2 weeks to go!

UmkBhI8.png

Read the rules in post 2 first and send MRORANGE a PM to ask for a link to the Google form.

t1547942400z0.png

The categories for voting:
  • Game of the Year Award
  • DLC of the Year (Optional)
  • Early Access of the Year (Optional)
  • Turd of the Year (Optional)

- Deadline: Sunday 20th January at 00:00 GMT / 19th January at 19:00 EST

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
Need some suggestions of a good RTS game for someone new to RTS. I was considering Halo Wars despite not loving the Halo universe it's at least familiar to me.

Any other suggestions?
Age of Empires series is pretty is easy to pick up and doesnt have a steep learning curve. 1 and 2 are available digitally, and 1 just recently remastered.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Total Annihilation and Supreme Commander are still really fun RTS games. Good mod scene too. I started out with TA as a kid, so it shouldn't be too hard to pick up.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
That's what people told me when I said I stopped during Route B.
While I feel Route B could have been much shorter, and skipped over large bits of the already known story, it _does_ introduce lots of new perspectives, and the hacking minigame is just bless. On top of that, you're quite literally missing the ending to the story.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
I wish I could still recommend Myth as a great RTS... It has manageable unit sizes and no base building. But the game is basically impossible to get today. :(

C&C Red Alert remake and Warcraft 3 remakes are coming and I think both are pretty manageable RTS.

Oct 27, 2017

Any other suggestions?

Halo Wars I found very simple. My recommendation would be StarCraft Remastered. It's a classic and the remaster works really well. Play through the campaign.

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
I killed my father.
I killed my mother.
I killed my father.
I killed my mother.
And in his hand, he coldly gripped...
Both the joy of growing up.
And the agony of being alone.

Route B was worth it for the picture books alone. Also 9S a cute.

Status
Not open for further replies.