• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How was the PC Gaming Era GOTY Awards?

• Finally, a PC exclusive won this bloody thing

Votes: 233 47.5%
  • Agent 47 was robbed

Votes: 69 14.1%
  • Final Fantasy was robbed

Votes: 12 2.4%
  • Anime was robbed

Votes: 76 15.5%
  • Epic Store was robbed

Votes: 101 20.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Just start Trove install and cancel. then it will work.

But I don't want to click 'install' on anything I don't want to install... what if it's forever associated with my account? What am I gonna tell people?

"Hey, did you play Trove? I saw it in your library..."
"lol, no."
"But I saw it..."
"...ok, look I just had to install it momentarily to unpack a swo-"
"Ew no, I'm leaving."
"No wait you don't understand, Madjoki told me I had to... look come back, please. Please don't take my kids, NO PLE-."

Andres

Oct 25, 2017
Looking at what I've played in 2018, the only games I finished that were completely new (and not a late port) was Soulcalibur VI (well I haven't "beaten" it since it's a fighting game) and the last Atelier game. My Game of 2018 ended up being Grimrock 2.

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
Steam is messing with me again.

HAWPL0e.png

BlueOdin

Oct 26, 2017
Happy New Year Everyone!

Been playing The Free Ones in the last hour. It's neat. Little bit unrefined mechanically and visually but overall pretty enjoyable so far. The VO for one character sounds pretty mechanic. Some of the passages could be more open about where they want you to go and some were lacking a cool soundtrack to underscore what you were doing. Going by the Steam Reviews it doesn't seem to long so it takes an afternoon or two. Will probably finish it tomorrow.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
And all is well again. I finish the sale with a level 6 Steam Awards badge, and managed to level my profile up to 15. Think I was level 9 or something before, so a very productive sale indeed.

EDIT: Ok, I just got a 502 bad gateway error page. Didn't even know such a thing was possible in the desktop client lol.

matimeo

UI/UX Game Industry Veteran
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Do people here have an opinion about My Time at Portia or Yonder ? I'm loving Stardew Valley and could I see me spending time with another zen game.

I played Yonder a bit on console. It was definitely really chill and laid back. I bought it again on PC but haven't gotten back to it.

Portia I just bought and haven't tried yet.

Yonder felt more about adventuring, then farming. You do get to do Some of that on the side. I think I left off after I had established a stable of animals.

If you do, try to forget anything you liked about DA:Origins. And be sure you're in the mood for loads of repetitive MMO fetch quests.

(yep, I'm still mad at myself that I've wasted so many hours playing that game)

lol I'm positive I never made it out the first area despite all the warnings.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
There must be a run on using those Sale badge items, my inventory is super slow to load.

JLP101

Oct 25, 2017
Happy New Year Everyone!

Been playing The Free Ones in the last hour. It's neat. Little bit unrefined mechanically and visually but overall pretty enjoyable so far. The VO for one character sounds pretty mechanic. Some of the passages could be more open about where they want you to go and some were lacking a cool soundtrack to underscore what you were doing. Going by the Steam Reviews it doesn't seem to long so it takes an afternoon or two. Will probably finish it tomorrow.

If you like first person platforming, check out valley on steam.

Unseen

Oct 28, 2017
Having the most simple, dumb problem but cannot figure a solution.

Besides a controller I have a arcade stick connected to my PC, however for selected titles this can cause an issue where neither controllers respond in-game. How can I temporarily turn off the stick in Windows or Steam other than always yanking the USB? There's a 'remove device' in device manager of course but that completely wipes the installation, I'd just need to click a box to hide the controller.

edit. Right so under device managers HID-devices I have to single out the arcade controller and there Windows provides a simple turn off option.

Last edited:

Zeeman

Oct 25, 2017
Only picked up Finding Paradise this sale, although I also got gifted Furi and Inside. I'm so tempted by Obra Dinn, but no discount for an indie game makes me feel dumb to buy it now

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Only picked up Finding Paradise this sale, although I also got gifted Furi and Inside. I'm so tempted by Obra Dinn, but no discount for an indie game makes me feel dumb to buy it now
Really? Having bought and finished Obra Dinn, and if anything I feel it's underpriced for how great a game it is. I don't want to guilt you into buying, games' already a success for Lucas Pope (of Paper's Please fame), but I just don't like this attitude toward an entire sector of gaming (far more than any one genre, after all), and will always call it out

Zeeman

Oct 25, 2017
Really? Having bought and finished Obra Dinn, and if anything I feel it's underpriced for how great a game it is. I don't want to guilt you into buying, games' already a success for Lucas Pope (of Paper's Please fame), but I just don't like this attitude toward an entire sector of gaming (far more than any one genre, after all), and will always call it out
Oh yeah, I agree it's not a great attitude and I'm sure the game is worth it, but I don't know if I've paid full price for a game on Steam in general in years

But I don't want to click 'install' on anything I don't want to install... what if it's forever associated with my account? What am I gonna tell people?

"Hey, did you play Trove? I saw it in your library..."
"lol, no."
"But I saw it..."
"...ok, look I just had to install it momentarily to unpack a swo-"
"Ew no, I'm leaving."
"No wait you don't understand, Madjoki told me I had to... look come back, please. Please don't take my kids, NO PLE-."
XDD
Ah, just another routine story at the family court.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm starting to think I shouldn't have played 3 Piranha Bytes games in a row.

zkylon

Oct 25, 2017
wholeheartly agreed, so many AAA games treat your time like garbage and for some reason we think they're worth money just because of that. i appreciate games that don't waste my time

admataY

Oct 25, 2017
I was kidding, you gonna get a eurojank overdose, take a break with some short polished game before attempting two-worlding .

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
I was kidding, you gonna get a eurojank overdose, take a break with some short polished game before attempting two-worlding .

Yeah, I know, I had even gotten Gothic 2 running but I think I will hold off on that for a while. InquisitorAles says I shouldn't play Two Worlds, but his review is in a language I don't understand, so I'll just ignore that ;)

I'd like to finish Fallout and Risen 2 and then decide what to play. I'm considering picking up Pillars of Eternity again, maybe Satellite Reign, maybe something completely different.

admataY

Oct 25, 2017
Two world games are not good, at their best they are bad in an amusing way.
Gothic 2, especially the gold edition with " night of the raven" expansion- is my all time favorite RPG though .
between the two, defiantly go gothic .

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
Two world games are not good, at their best they are bad in an amusing way.
Gothic 2, especially the gold edition with " night of the raven" expansion- is my all time favorite RPG though .
between the two, defiantly go gothic .

Yeah, I've beaten Gothic 1 - it's just that after Elex and Risen 1 and 2 I should take a break from that kind of game, especially with the ancient controls in Gothic 2.

admataY

Oct 25, 2017
Thats a very good idea , but when you do come back remember - Community patches are your friends .

Hereafter

Dec 13, 2017
So peeps, Nioh or DARK SOULS III Deluxe Edition. Dragon's Dogma was a favorite of mine so i'm looking for something similar.

zkylon

Oct 25, 2017
dang i should've sold all that event trash, would've afforded like one cheap game with it

Line

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
So peeps, Nioh or DARK SOULS III Deluxe Edition. Dragon's Dogma was a favorite of mine so i'm looking for something similar.
Neither are remotely close to Dragon's Dogma.
You can't go wrong with Dark Souls, 3 being a lot faster paced than the older ones, even if it doesn't have the interconnected level design of DS1. Still decent, plays well, more accessible.

Ni Oh I would say definitely no, it's a Diablo-like first and foremost, where you will vomit gear with each instanced mission, making exploration of the super small and bland levels 100% pointless, you'll never get anything of value in any loot cache, just rush the boss and kill some player ghosts if you need gear (and you will, cause it's grindy as fuck).
Biggest problem of the game being that you see pretty much all the enemy types in the tutorial and then fight the same stuff again and again (outside of youkai which are ok but super boring when you know the best way to break them).

FoneBone

Oct 27, 2017
Happy New Year Everyone!

What're your specs? I tried this a few weeks ago, and the performance was awful. Too bad, because I love platforming with a grappling hook.

If you like first person platforming, check out valley on steam.
yeah, this is very undeservedly overlooked. Gorgeous and a lot of fun

edit: and it's only $3 during the sale!

zkylon

Oct 25, 2017
i think it's time we realize fallout 76 is a maquiavellian social experiment and we humanity were actually trapped inside a massive truman show vault all along

Hereafter

Dec 13, 2017
Neither are remotely close to Dragon's Dogma.
You can't go wrong with Dark Souls, 3 being a lot faster paced than the older ones, even if it doesn't have the interconnected level design of DS1. Still decent, plays well, more accessible.

Ni Oh I would say definitely no, it's a Diablo-like first and foremost, where you will vomit gear with each instanced mission, making exploration of the super small and bland levels 100% pointless, you'll never get anything of value in any loot cache, just rush the boss and kill some player ghosts if you need gear (and you will, cause it's grindy as fuck).
Biggest problem of the game being that you see pretty much all the enemy types in the tutorial and then fight the same stuff again and again (outside of youkai which are ok but super boring when you know the best way to break them).

Do you have any recommendation for games similar to DD? I found DD to be a little easier than it should but the overall combat made up for it.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
Dark Souls III is easily the best game of 2016 and still has a healthy population (nearly 12K players right now).

Nioh is primarily a loot grind. The gameplay is all right, but I didn't like much else about it.

derrick first now ban puncher.
It doesn't say permanent for me.

The former was earned, but Ban Puncher gets banned all the time. Hopefully never permanently, as the forum needs some personality, even if the trolling is technically against the rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.