• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How was the PC Gaming Era GOTY Awards?

• Finally, a PC exclusive won this bloody thing

Votes: 233 47.5%
  • Agent 47 was robbed

Votes: 69 14.1%
  • Final Fantasy was robbed

Votes: 12 2.4%
  • Anime was robbed

Votes: 76 15.5%
  • Epic Store was robbed

Votes: 101 20.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tart Toter 9K

Oct 25, 2017
i tried them all but the tutorials are really bad. i might watch some videos on youtube or something

sword and shield is in my radar, but i don't like combo-y weapons too much, i'm not good at remembering button presses

Yeah, weapon tutorial videos are probably a better idea. I watched Gaijin hunters videos when i first started. You can see the S&S in action here:

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Origin, the client that keeps giving (technical issues).

Sorry for the pic being in Swedish, but this is Origin telling me to check my internet connection, since it couldnt not "connect to the internet".

abDJYa8.png

I'm getting this every time I try and start the client now, restarts of the computer doesn't help.

Every time I start this client after some time, there's always a new issue with it. It's like a bad joke that has been told too many times now.

Yeah, Origin is really finicky. I don't like it at all.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
JaseC , Inversion isn't available in my region. If I get someone to buy it from the US Steam store, will they be able to gift it to me? Going to assume no, right?

Correct. As a result of the changes to gifting Valve implemented in mid-2017, it's no longer possible to send someone a gift copy of a game if the sub has the PurchaseRestrictedCountries flags configured in a way that excludes their country.

If there's no "This is a restricted gift ..." warning, then it's region-free. If it is region-locked, just connecting to a VPN will be enough to successfully activate it, but the game will be runtime-restricted for 90 days unless you first change the home region of your account to match (i.e. purchase something from one of the listed store regions).

Last edited:

eonden

Oct 25, 2017

Sorry for the pic being in Swedish, but this is Origin telling me to check my internet connection, since it couldnt not "connect to the internet".

abDJYa8.png

I'm getting this every time I try and start the client now, restarts of the computer doesn't help.

Every time I start this client after some time, there's always a new issue with it. It's like a bad joke that has been told too many times now.
Could it possibly be a firewall problem? Otherwise I just cant imagine how that happens.

Parsnip

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
I don't think I even have Origin installed at the moment.

Some day I'll play that Dragon Age Inquisition that I pre-ordered.

Some.

Day.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Happy new year!

anime-fucking-sucks.jpg

Happy New Year nerds. Finished Battletech recently, it's a great game. Brings me back the feelings as a kid playing those Front Mission games on dem Gameboys.
My GOTY! (if it weren't for a Bloodborne replay.) It reminded me a lot of Armored Core as well. Great stuff! Can't wait to see what it plays like in a year once all the DLC is done.

OP
OP
MRORANGE

MRORANGE

Nice thread btw :)
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Yooooooooooooooooo

UmkBhI8.png

Read the rules in post 2 first and send MRORANGE a PM to ask for a link to the Google form.

t1547942400z0.png

The categories for voting:
  • Game of the Year Award
  • DLC of the Year (Optional)
  • Early Access of the Year (Optional)
  • Turd of the Year (Optional)

- Deadline: Sunday 20th January at 00:00 GMT / 19th January at 19:00 EST

zkylon

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, weapon tutorial videos are probably a better idea. I watched Gaijin hunters videos when i first started. You can see the S&S in action here:

cool, thanks for the recommendation!

The SnS is pretty..infinite. You basically keep going. You can slash (cut) or bash (knock out stuff) for your choices. Or do mounting move! Its a pretty good weapon.
yeah i'll try it

i just don't want too combo intensive stuff, i'm really bad at it, and this game seems pretty strict with timings, animation priority and all

I feel even Anime fans can in general agree with this, a lot of it does involve fucking and sucking.
i'll vouch for this, sucking and fucking is relevant to me!

TenaciousD

Banned
Mar 6, 2018
Correct. As a result of the changes to gifting Valve implemented in mid-2017, it's no longer possible to send someone a gift copy of a game if the sub has the PurchaseRestrictedCountries flags configured in a way that excludes their country.

If there's no "This is a restricted gift ..." warning, then it's region-free. If it is region-locked, just connecting to a VPN will be enough to successfully activate it, but the game will be runtime-restricted for 90 days unless you first change the home region of your account to match (i.e. purchase something from one of the listed store regions).

That's disappointing about Inversion seeing as no where sells decently priced CD keys anymore. All they have to do is apply the regional pricing and it can come back. Just too lazy I guess.

Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
I need some help: I have Monkey Island 4 via GOG. I use EMILauncher to create an updated .exe called 'Patchedmonkey4.exe'
This one would get the game to run at native resolution+other stuff.
I've added this .exe as a non-steam game and when I run it, WIndows asks me if it's OK to run the game. I choose Yes, but Stema overaly doesn't load with the game.
I've already set up Steam controller settings so I could play it with a controller but as Steam overally doesn't load on it I can't use these settings.
Anyone know a way around this?

sur le web

Nov 8, 2017

abDJYa8.png

I remember fixing the same problem (I think so, at least) by doing this: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/972034/how-to-reset-the-hosts-file-back-to-the-default

super weird but after trying everything else I could think of that solved it for me.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
So I connected my Switch Pro controller to my steamlink to play some games on my big TV in the front room. Which works great btw (in fact I think it's my new favorite PC controller). However something really.... odd has happened.

My Switch Pro controller now has a constant bright, blue light around the home button. I can't seem to shut it off and it stays even when disconnected from the Steamlink and otherwise off. Anyone know anything about this or how to fix it?

Knurek

Oct 26, 2017
I need some help: I have Monkey Island 4 via GOG. I use EMILauncher to create an updated .exe called 'Patchedmonkey4.exe'
This one would get the game to run at native resolution+other stuff.
I've added this .exe as a non-steam game and when I run it, WIndows asks me if it's OK to run the game. I choose Yes, but Stema overaly doesn't load with the game.
I've already set up Steam controller settings so I could play it with a controller but as Steam overally doesn't load on it I can't use these settings.
Anyone know a way around this?
Set up a desktop profile, or better yet, make a separate config for the game, and bind one of the buttons (I personally use long press Select) to switch between your standard desktop and game specific one.

arts&crafts

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
So I only bought one game this sale. Treasure Adventure World. I am only 2 hours in and so far it is pretty good but most things I cant access and I am sure I will have to return later once I acquire no skills (like a metroidvania) except I dont know if there is a fast travel or easy way without visiting every island on my way back. I shall see.

Knurek

Oct 26, 2017
Could you explain how to do that please?
On the desktop profile in BPM click the Add Action Set button
5D98o7P.png

Name it "Escape from Monkey Island" or whatevs.
When you have more than one Action Set defined, you have additional option when setting up keys, for setting up Action Set Change:

zwqnQmI.png

Then configure a select button like this for both Action Sets
z6Aaaai.png

I set it up as a Long Press activator, up to you how you set it up for yourself. Just remember to do the same for all Action Sets.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
5D98o7P.png

When you have more than one Action Set defined, you have additional option when setting up keys, for setting up Action Set Change:

zwqnQmI.png

z6Aaaai.png

I set it up as a Long Press activator, up to you how you set it up for yourself. Just remember to do the same for all Action Sets.
OKie dokie, gonna test that, thanks mate.

zkylon

Oct 25, 2017
there's already a game about being jair bolsonaro and beating up gays and communists

remind me again why we pay $100 valve to review our games....

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
Whole Valve's review is very flawed anyways. You can simply make any basic game and pass review and then replace game with another one.

zkylon

Oct 25, 2017
and you can't flag a game for hate content?

closest is defamatory i guess?

what a joke, epic store pls save me

Oct 25, 2017
I actually found some decent stuff from the queue this year.

On the other hand, now I'm mad that Override: Mech City Brawl isn't on sale.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
5D98o7P.png

zwqnQmI.png

z6Aaaai.png

OK so I'm trying to do this and I am still confused sorry.
What I've done so far is
Go into BPM
Go to Settings>Base Configurations
Choose Desktop config.
From here this is where I can set up my MI4 control inputs? This'd make it so that when I run the game, Steam will accept inputs from my controller even if traditional method is a no go?

Knurek

Oct 26, 2017
OK so I'm trying to do this and I am still confused sorry.
What I've done so far is
Go into BPM
Go to Settings>Base Configurations
Choose Desktop config.
From here this is where I can set up my MI4 control inputs? This'd make it so that when I run the game, Steam will accept inputs from my controller even if traditional method is a no go?
If you don't have a Desktop config, then you can just edit what's there. Only thing that will not work would be things that use Overlay (easily fixable with GloSC, but whatevs).
If you have a Desktop config you don't want to lose, just set up another Action Set specifically for the game, as I've mentioned above.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman

This is giving some Mother/Earthbound vibes.
If you don't have a Desktop config, then you can just edit what's there. Only thing that will not work would be things that use Overlay (easily fixable with GloSC, but whatevs).
If you have a Desktop config you don't want to lose, just set up another Action Set specifically for the game, as I've mentioned above.
Hmm I'm not concerned by overlay but I think I can turn on that one button you mentioned, so let me see what I get.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Jimmy was on one of the RPS contributor's best of lists, will probably snag it after I clear some sale backlog.

Status
Not open for further replies.