• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sky Chief

Oct 30, 2017
Is there a current Era PC Hardware master thread with build suggestions and feedback? I've tried searching but can't seem to find one.

OP
OP
Uzzy

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
I wanted to get back into Inquisition, but I started it back up recently and realized I have no idea what is going on! I've forgotten most of the main plot points and have no idea what to do. Is there a good source on how to catch up on the story without having to restart?

Hmm, I've found the Dragon Age wiki pretty useful for plot points, just stick in whichever main quest you're up to and give it a read.

OP
OP
Uzzy

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Also it's an important day today.

That's right, it's Lara Croft's birthday, that's what you forgot.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
So last year I played about half of Mafia 1 on PC. This was before the remake. I liked it a lot, but God damn did I hate that car race.

Well, today I started the remake, and god damn this car race to hell. Fuck. I am playing it using a controller because the keyboard controls for it are not very precise but holy hell do these cars handle crazy. I feel like I'm gonna be stuck on this for days.

Been a while since I encountered something like this in a game that otherwise feels very sleek and streamlined.

Phinor

Oct 27, 2017
So last year I played about half of Mafia 1 on PC. This was before the remake. I liked it a lot, but God damn did I hate that car race.

Well, today I started the remake, and god damn this car race to hell. Fuck. I am playing it using a controller because the keyboard controls for it are not very precise but holy hell do these cars handle crazy. I feel like I'm gonna be stuck on this for days.

Been a while since I encountered something like this in a game that otherwise feels very sleek and streamlined.

It's a really divisive mission and I don't really understand why they didn't make it significantly easier with the remake considering the history of that mission. I've personally never had much trouble with it, not even the original unpatched Mafia. With the remake I did need two attempts, one to learn the track and adjust to the driving physics, but on the second attempt it was an easy win with a big margin. Unfortunately the key is to pretty much make as many places as possible in the first few corners, then make zero mistakes. The driving feels quite easy and natural with a keyboard but I've always driven open world games with a keyboard, I couldn't do it with a gamepad at all. Then again I prefer keyboard with all non-sim racing driving games, such as Trackmania series. Gamepad always feels too imprecise for driving games like these but many people disagree..

I remember post-race mission saves being distributed back in the day just so people could get past that mission. Alternative solution offered was to uninstall the game and forget about it. It really was that bad. Even post-patch that mission remained a roadblock for a lot of people, I wonder what their reasoning was for keeping it that difficult. With the remake I bet it's the reputation of that mission, they felt they had to keep it difficult.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
It's a really divisive mission and I don't really understand why they didn't make it significantly easier with the remake considering the history of that mission. I've personally never had much trouble with it, not even the original unpatched Mafia. With the remake I did need two attempts, one to learn the track and adjust to the driving physics, but on the second attempt it was an easy win with a big margin. Unfortunately the key is to pretty much make as many places as possible in the first few corners, then make zero mistakes. The driving feels quite easy and natural with a keyboard but I've always driven open world games with a keyboard, I couldn't do it with a gamepad at all. Then again I prefer keyboard with all non-sim racing driving games, such as Trackmania series. Gamepad always feels too imprecise for driving games like these but many people disagree..

I remember post-race mission saves being distributed back in the day just so people could get past that mission. Alternative solution offered was to uninstall the game and forget about it. It really was that bad. Even post-patch that mission remained a roadblock for a lot of people, I wonder what their reasoning was for keeping it that difficult. With the remake I bet it's the reputation of that mission, they felt they had to keep it difficult.
Git gud, the dark souls of open world action games before dark souls even was a thing.

Bummer to read that it's still so bad in the remake. Pretty sure I saw a reviews where they said that it's easy now?!

Elven_Star

Oct 27, 2017
So, ended up getting Omri, Neverwinter Nights, and Planescape: Torment in this sale. Being on a Mac has limited my options tremendously, which is a good thing.

spiel

Oct 28, 2017
Completed the main campaign of Sunset Overdrive. I had so much fun with the game. Just bouncing around the map is really satisfying, especially after unlocking the air dash which makes chaining moves easier. It strongly reminded me of Saints Row 4, in a good way. It's got the dumb humour, weird weapons and funky traversal mechanics.

DuppoloGAF

Oct 28, 2017
how many of you play often in vr? i honestly play just indie or card games or vr...i cant enjoy aaa tittle anymore...well i liked the witcher 3, but, i mean...a book is better

OP
OP
Uzzy

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
m1m6PEb.png

Well I smashed my way through The Descent DLC for Dragon Age: Inquisition.

I'm actually a fan of the Deep Roads, and delving into the depths of the earth has been a staple of fantasy gaming for ages. Going into the Underdark has often times been part of my favourite RPG experiences. But something about this one didn't really grab me. The story is fine, and the lore additions are interesting enough, but it all felt a bit flat, lifeless. Thinking about it, the lack of interaction from your companions in this DLC really didn't help much. Jaws of Hakkon has ample interaction, even from characters who may very well not be in the game when you're of a high enough level to take it on, but here, they're almost silent, even though you can start The Descent DLC much earlier in the game. Instead the story is driven by two new characters, who even when voiced by David Hayter and Ali Hillis can't really match up to the bond you've built up with your team over 70 odd hours. I wanted to hear what Sera thought of the depths, or what Cassandra thought of the alien landscapes we encountered.

It also didn't help that there's a raft of collectathons and combat encounters that just have you face down waves of enemies. That's padding and filler if I ever saw it, especially when you're explicitly told that the collectables aren't important.

I've been pretty down on it here, but it's not bad. Just feels a bit uninspired after how good Jaws of Hakkon was.

Ah well, onto the ending proper and then Trespasser! Lets see where this one goes.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
This was a PC only weekend (with some Princess Connect on the side) and I first finished The Takedown. A through and through mediocre beat'em up game with stiff controls but nice graphics and special effect. Finished Warhammer: Chaosbane after that. A nice hack'n'slay but ultimately very repetitive and forgettable. As a huge fan of the genre I enjoyed it nonetheless. Made me reinstall WH40K: Inquisitor to get a feeling for it again and to decide if all the DLC in the Steam deal might be worth it for me. But nah, the game is also "fine" and fun for a playthrough if you are a fan of the genre, but nothing that stuck with me or made me wanting for more. So I am now reinstalling Sacred 2 to get my Diablo-fix.

Tried Chroma: Bloom and Blight - quit after one turn. Just kinda sick of all those Hearthstone/Magic clones with a (small) twist. Even when I appreciate the concept that all cards are unlocked and you only pay for cosmetics.

Then I tried to get into Total War: Warhammer ... again. But yeah, these games just aren't for me. The battles feel way to indirect to control and I am just not into the whole grand strategy stuff. I'd wish I would enjoy it more, but I can't force it. Miss classic RTS games with an actual budget and cool cutscenes and story and stuff. Still waiting for Spellforce 3 to patch the QoL features of the first addon into the original campaign, but that seems to take forever.

Fiddled around a whole 20 minutes in RPG Maker MZ ... I really need to get this rolling again, but I probably never will. It's a bit annoying honestly.

Played a bit of Boiling Steel, because I am desperate for some new great VR experience, but the game is too old and low-budget to scratch that itch. Did a bit of My Time at Portia ... it's mindless fun, but thinking about the game I think it is in fact not that much of fun anymore after 25 hours or so of playing it. And then I checked an FAQ and I am not even half-way through? Yeah, might just cancel it at this point and start something new ...

Uninstalling a bunch of games now to free up some SSD space. And then playing either Sacred 2, Metro Exodus or No Mans Sky to conclude the weekend.

Kiru

Oct 25, 2017
Posting it here, so it doesn't go to waste.
I got this code via Discord. It's a code for 3 months of Game Pass for PC, on the condition you never had Game Pass before (can't verify it, could also be just not having any active sub, but I guess I have to trust Discord on this one...).
I can't redeem it myself because I already have a sub for Ultimate.

rcfskzP.png

Microsoft redemption site Dicord's handy guide

Try your luck, first come, first serve
Report back if you were successful.

Code below:
Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I´m installing Resident Evil 3 Remake, any good QoL mods out there? and no, im not interested in horny mods 🤣
www.nexusmods.com

FPS Zombies

Zombies at a distance with maximum FPS

Pretty much it. There's a bunch of mods that adjust the OTS camera angles, but I haven't used them and there's so goddamn many that I'd take up too much space listing all of them.

Browse Nexus Mods and you'll find a bunch of camera tweaks.

Plenty of non-sexy skins too, like these if you want to go down that route:

www.nexusmods.com

Jill Concept Art costume

This mod changes the standard costume to use the Concept art version of her standard attire

www.nexusmods.com

Jill - Wetsuit

Replaces Jills Default costume with her Wetsuit from RE:R

Clowns

Oct 25, 2017
had to stop my second attempt to finish Hollow Knight because the game was dropping controller inputs during boss fights and that's just unplayable.
now i have to put The Fall on hold because the game doesn't recognize anything but the left stick.
pc gaming is bad.

Kilbane65

Oct 27, 2017
Do we have a date for EA Play coming to Game Pass PC besides "sometime in 2021"?
My sub runs out in 2 months, I think I'm not gonna make it.

z1ggy

Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
www.nexusmods.com

FPS Zombies

Zombies at a distance with maximum FPS

Pretty much it. There's a bunch of mods that adjust the OTS camera angles, but I haven't used them and there's so goddamn many that I'd take up too much space listing all of them.

Browse Nexus Mods and you'll find a bunch of camera tweaks.

Plenty of non-sexy skins too, like these if you want to go down that route:

www.nexusmods.com

Jill Concept Art costume

This mod changes the standard costume to use the Concept art version of her standard attire

www.nexusmods.com

Jill - Wetsuit

Replaces Jills Default costume with her Wetsuit from RE:R
Thank you 😎

Ive played it for almost 4 hours, im loving the game so far despite having less content than the og game.

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
Any last minute Steam Lunar Sale recommendations? I hadn't paid enough attention to the event, wanted KoF XIV but it didn't hit it's historic low!

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
I've played other games with no issues like this so those would be some very specific controller issues

Most likely its a developing issue. It's either your controller is failing or some weird controller mapping has been applied to your games. My money is on the first. I've had a PS4 controller randomly disconnect or lose its inputs without warning.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
had to stop my second attempt to finish Hollow Knight because the game was dropping controller inputs during boss fights and that's just unplayable.
now i have to put The Fall on hold because the game doesn't recognize anything but the left stick.
pc gaming is bad.
This really sounds like your controller is at fault.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017

Clowns

Oct 25, 2017
Most likely its a developing issue. It's either your controller is failing or some weird controller mapping has been applied to your games. My money is on the first. I've had a PS4 controller randomly disconnect or lose its inputs without warning.
This really sounds like your controller is at fault.
I appear to have found a workaround with Steam Input. Which I tried last night and didn't work, but works now that I clicked on Controller General Settings and checked the box for Xbox Configuration Support.

z1ggy

Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
Just finished RE 3 R and i enjoyed it a lot untill the last part of the game (hospital and so on), it really goes downhill from there. Not that well balanced, i guess they run out of dev time? Anyways, it was a fun ride.

Status
Not open for further replies.