• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vitormg

Oct 26, 2017
Brazil
I'm playing Spyro 1 for the 100th time, being the second time in the remake. I'll try to 120% it as fast as I can. 3hours in and 75% complete. I think I'll manage under 5 hours.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
I found the steam page (also has a demo) on a lark and I happened to read at the bottom:

MATURE CONTENT DESCRIPTION
The developers describe the content like this:

Winter Ember contains sexual references as well as references to both drugs and alcohol. These instances are few and far between and as such only conveyed through dialogue, allusions and innuendo.

I know it's not new but honestly it's so much better than an ESRB rating. Granted you have to actually read something and think about it instead of glance at a letter to know if it's appropriate, and you have to trust that the developer is honest and forthcoming with the content as well as having a similar baseline view on what consists of things like "few and far between" or "frequent". Granted I'm not in a position to actually care about what's in games content wise, but if I had a kid I would much rather have these paragraphs.

Also I kind of just oppose rating systems anyhow.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
That feeling in a long RTS scenario, when your hero is killed just as your troops complete the final objective..... ;( 😭 😭

Since DE has an ongoing bug for custom scenarios where loading a saved game does not trigger the post-game cinematic, OR progress the custom campaign to the next scenario, I've been trying to Ironman most custom game content.

Last night I was playing "Seljuk: Rise of an Empire", a campaign-length scenario from one of the most talented scenario designers in the AoE II community, who was part of the Forgotten Empires for many years, while also releasing a ton of content on the side. "Seljuk" is a pretty ambitious scenario about the rise of the Seljuk turks from a small faction in a steppe tribe to a mighty sultanate, spanning about 80 years and 4 great rulers in the dynasty. It starts out really difficult as you are a nomad trying to eliminate rival tribes, while being vulnerable to much bigger tribes. But with your second ruler you get the opportunity to conquer Baghdad, displacing the Buyid Caliphate, and you not only get a very pretty city, but can also research upgrades, advance in ages, and start settling down, building Town Centres and Castles to get a real economy going. There's even a re-enactment of Battle of Manzikert where you can really spank the Byzantines as long as you're friends with the Kipchaks (or you crushed them) to hit the Byzantine fortress from the north, coming down the Caucasus mountains, instead of breaking through their layered defenses to the West of Baghdad

Anyway, the last ruler, Malik Shah is tasked with conquering Persia. You also need to build a Wonder, and when you do, you get warning that a new steppe horde (the Kara Khitai) are coming. Your allied nomads helpfully quip "Beware the Khara Khitai! They have no honour!"- being an in-joke going back to the opening scene in the 1st Genghis Khan campaing scenario in the OG Age of Kings.

Anyway, the Kara Khitai aren't particularly strong, though they spawn in a strong unit roster. My own unit roster is much stronger, seeing as I have the ability to recruit extra unique units, such as Hunnic Tarkans, Mongol Mangudai, and I've got hero monks (imams) who can convert me entire scores of Berber Camel Archers and Saracen Mamelukes for a pretty all-star steppe nomad roster. Oh, and there's also Persian War Elephants I can convert away while besieging the Persian fortresses. Tasty.

The issue was, they've got strong ranged units, and I've got a ridiculous unit cap of 100, which makes having an economy, a besieging army and a defending army somewhat difficult to juggle. And eventually my defending force must've gotten overwhelmed. felt really bad seeing the "We have completed our objectives" message, followed by "our leader is dead! All is lost!" in the same screen. Should've taken a screenshot.

Next time I'll build a bunch of castles everywhere before triggering that horde. or convert like 50 Camel Archers to one-shot the Kara-Khitai.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
store.steampowered.com

Steam Game Festival, February 3 Coming Soon

Join us February 3rd at 10am Pacific Join us for the Steam Game Festival, February 2021 edition, starting February 3rd at 10am Pacific. Explore over 500 free game demos, watch developer livestreams, and chat with developers about the games they are making. Sign up here to get a reminder when the...
Nice love these events. But they're overwhelming with so many demos now, is there a thread here for recommendations?

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Nice love these events. But they're overwhelming with so many demos now, is there a thread here for recommendations?
The UI now is much better in letting you choose genres and themes easily. Plus there are less demos than the last times because Valve now only allows you to put your game for one of the 3 "yearly" demo festivals.
(Its an improvement over the categories UI in the Winter Sale).

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I forget who it was that posted about Roguebook in the past few days but it's part of the festival and has a demo.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Meh, those last Overload levels really suck. Who thought it was a good idea to block the Guide Bot for these?

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
This festival sure is something.

20 demos in my download queu

EDIT: Trail of Ayash demo is 17 GB? daymn.

Last edited:

data

Oct 25, 2017
This festival sure is something.

20 demos in my download queu

EDIT: Trail of Ayash demo is 17 GB? daymn.
My big worry is that I won't have time to try out all the demos because of downloads.

I hope GeForce Now has a few of the big ones available. Looking ofrward to tonight

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
My big worry is that I won't have time to try out all the demos because of downloads.

I hope GeForce Now has a few of the big ones available. Looking ofrward to tonight
fun fact: a lot of the demos made in Unity are actually playable post-festival if you launch the .exe from the steam directory directly.

Only the demos that require Steam to run wil get disabled.

Shakerovic

Apr 26, 2019
I too just downloaded it last night to see how the game is (last played mid-2019) after the latest announcements from the devs.

What sucks is that my ping to NA is 340, so now I either have to restart on EU, or keep playing NA but probably not take endgame seriously.

i only played SWTOR and never played any other mmo, but in that game ping was the same on NA and EU servers, not sure how it will be on ESO

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
It is always funny to see these kind of reportings and then remember how some industry people still want to see Valve removing user reviews completely

Mad

Oct 25, 2017
I like reviews because they stay more up to date than review sites on shit for older games or even just less popular titles. Finding out if it's abandoned or not let alone complete shit is a lot easier with user reviews.

I've gotten a bit annoyed at devs basically trying to get all up my ass to wishlist stuff constantly now though when I literally just use it as... a wishlist so I can keep track of games. Ive had stuff on my steam wishlist for like a decade now at this point.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Looks like Nioh 2 might be having a midnight (give or take, US) release time tomorrow, if the current store timer is correct.

Clowns

Oct 25, 2017
Can you rebind the Share button on the new Xbox controllers to act like a keyboard key? I really don't have any use for it a share button, but being able to switch functions would be useful.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
It's rebindable controlls for me, one of the reasons I waited for the PC port was how awkward the controlls are for the new mechanics.
Well rebindable at least has been confirmed, it's even listed in the bullet points on the Steam page.

Deck13 implemented such good controls in The Surge 2, I wish everyone else would just copy them as a baseline and tweak from there.

Equirah

Oct 25, 2017
Well rebindable at least has been confirmed, it's even listed in the bullet points on the Steam page.

Deck13 implemented such good controls in The Surge 2, I wish everyone else would just copy them as a baseline and tweak from there.
Is it bound per action or allows complex inputs? So say, is replacing R2+O to R1/L1+O possible?

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Is it bound per action or allows complex inputs? So say, is replacing R2+O to R1/L1+O possible?
Unfortunately that level of detail hasn't been provided.

And for the record, only "Full Mouse & Keyboard customisation" has been promised, where as it just says "Gamepad Compatibility", with no mention of binding for pads.

I'll cross my fingers for you at least.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
First dungeon experience in ffxiv was really nice, everyone was very patient and helpful.

Second dungeon experience I had literally no idea what was happening, the DPS folks were running full pelt through the dungeon and I could barely understand half of what was happening on the screen. At least I did my role as a tank not too bad, I guess.

Classy Tomato

Jun 2, 2019
Really excited for TW3, but the lack of regional pricing flatten my hype. Basically none in all regions. While it's still not a 1:1 conversion, it just really sucks that more and more publishers start ignoring regional pricing.

mgPXJem.png

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
control win10 was patched today to allow DLSS and it works pretty well, so i can turn on RTX without a huge loss in performance. sadly they did not patch the crashing issue, but it's not terrible

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
First dungeon experience in ffxiv was really nice, everyone was very patient and helpful.

Second dungeon experience I had literally no idea what was happening, the DPS folks were running full pelt through the dungeon and I could barely understand half of what was happening on the screen. At least I did my role as a tank not too bad, I guess.
ARR dungeon tends to have some weird shit. Lots of new people tend to struggle in Qarn and Aurum Vale so watch out for those dungeons.

I remember in early days where healer can heal the enemy, so many times a newbie healer would accidentally full heal a final dungeon boss when we got him to 1%.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017

What job do you plan on playing?

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia
ARR dungeon tends to have some weird shit. Lots of new people tend to struggle in Qarn and Aurum Vale so watch out for those dungeons.

I remember in early days where healer can heal the enemy, so many times a newbie healer would accidentally full heal a final dungeon boss when we got him to 1%.
Just seeing the words Aurum Vale gives me 'Nam flashbacks. I swear to god back in the early days it took me longer to find a group that could get through AV than it did for basically any other pieces of content. So many hours spent wiping.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
I see trying to run Dishonored 2 at a stable frame rate remains a fool's errand.

UltraJay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Can you rebind the Share button on the new Xbox controllers to act like a keyboard key? I really don't have any use for it a share button, but being able to switch functions would be useful.
Well the share button didn't even work as a button until Steam allowed you to bind it in a recent update. Now you can set it to anything in Steam's Input config.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
What job do you plan on playing?
I have no idea. I'm a level 34 marauder and I don't know if it how to keep doing quests for it or if I need to move on to something else.

Just a email from Square Enix that since I reached level 30 they're giving me extra playtime of 15, but they never specified what the 15 is. Do they mean 15 days?

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have no idea. I'm a level 34 marauder and I don't know if it how to keep doing quests for it or if I need to move on to something else.

Just a email from Square Enix that since I reached level 30 they're giving me extra playtime of 15, but they never specified what the 15 is. Do they mean 15 days?

Yes

nded

Nov 14, 2017
I think you have to either run it at 60 or 120FPS locked using the game's own FPS limiter in order to make it run properly. If your frame rate varies at all it stutters like hell.
Yeah, I had to set my monitor itself to 60hz to get the frame pacing somewhat stable. FPS can really tank outdoors but it's mostly tolerable now. Is it true Death of the Outsider is much better optimized?

1 gift from Chance Hale

GiftBot

Official Giveaway Bot
Verified
Mar 7, 2018
This giveaway has unfortunately been cancelled.

Giveaway

Restrictions:
Hello, I am bot! I come bearing 1 gift from Chance Hale Chance Hale!

This is a day raffle that will expire in 24 hours. The winner will be drawn at random! Any prizes leftover after the deadline will become available on a first-come first-serve basis.

Chance Hale said:
One of the best written games of all time, well worth trying

These are our awesome prizes:

• Steam Steam: Pathologic 2

Status
Not open for further replies.