• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

honorless

Oct 28, 2017
Firstly, thanks for the information. This took you a second to write, I'm sure, so thanks for taking the time. I'll definitely do that layer of comparison and see where I come out. I absolutely love that keyboard you linked to. Which switches would be the quietest? I liked the MX Keyes because they're very quiet. My wife works from home as well right now, but I love that keyboard you linked.
Please note that I was half-shitposting and my brain is broken w/r/t keyboards. You need to take everything I write with the understanding that it comes from someone who is this far down the rabbit hole. :)

That said: Red or brown switches will be quietest. Do not get blues.
Reds will be very light, light enough that some people have trouble with errant keypresses (particularly those who rest their fingers on the keys).

I won't lie, any mechanical keyboard will be louder than the MX Keys by default just because of key travel/bottoming out even if you're a light touch. But maybe it's acceptably loud (typing test; contrast with how loud the mouse click is). There are things you can do to make them quieter—o-rings on the keys, foam in the case, installing specifically "silent" switches—but if typing sounds make you/your wife's teeth itch that may not be enough.

If you do end up getting that particular keyboard, I would suggest the hotswap version which will allow you to change out switches without having to desolder anything.

ThatWasAJoke

Oct 28, 2017
2 hours in. So far so good on my 2060 Super. Running DLSS in Quality Mode gives 10-15 fps bumps but other than that pretty much on the High preset. Game looks amazing so far but only just got to the apartment.

Oct 27, 2017
USA
2 hours in. So far so good on my 2060 Super. Running DLSS in Quality Mode gives 10-15 fps bumps but other than that pretty much on the High preset. Game looks amazing so far but only just got to the apartment.
About 8 hours in playing on a 2080 Super. 1440p, high settings, DLSS Quality and RTX OFF, looks absolutely amazing and I love it so far! Not a single crash yet and only a couple of visual glitches. First person RPGs are my literal favorite type of game to play so may be slightly biased lol.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
So I put the RTX setting to psycho and it seems to make the lighting of the game so much better. I think I rather take the hit for resolution just so I can keep RTX on as it is.

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Does anyone use their HDTV as their monitor for their gaming PC/laptop? I'm thinking of doing that and grabbing the Xbox Game Pass on PC. Is there anything specific I should know?

I have a Sony 900H and these are my PC specs.

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Max-Q 8 GB GDDR6
16 GB Memory DDR4
512 GB SSD
1 x Thunderbolt 3 (Full USB 3.1 Type C)
1 x Mini Display Port 1.4
1 x HDMI 2.0
I'm playing my PC (and consoles,) on a 55" C8 OLED. I've never had ANY issues using my PC on my TV, it's actually the only monitor I've ever used for my PC and has been amazing!

1.) Plug in HDMI from GPU to TV
2.) Done lol

RTX 2080 Super
i7 9700k
16 GB DDR4
2 TB Samsung nvme SSD

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if the new GeForce driver has issues, I see these flashes intermittently when I'm on my desktop, not enough to be annoying yet, but every 15 min or so there will be a white flash maybe for a frame.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
The main thing Cyberpunk managed to do for me was make me way more excited for GTA VI than I was before. This open world looks incredible but feels so insanely shallow and lifeless. All smoke and mirrors. A shame really, so much wasted performance. And this after like 6 years in development. San Andreas felt more immersive than this game. Hell even GTA 3 did. A GTA VI with these kind of visuals (probably even better due to Next Gen only) and the level of detail Rockstar is known for is going to be incredible.

Cyberpunk isn't the Blade Runner AAA game I was looking and hoping for. Wonder if there ever will be one...

In complete agreement on this, I had a long screed prepared for an OP about dissatisfaction with open world game design generally being lifeless outside Rockstar titles but you summed it up more succinctly re: 2077 than I did.

I probably only pay full price for 2-3 games a year due to my budget so when a big game like 2077 comes along I obviously have high hopes that it will feel like money well spent and will engage me for 20-30 hours and that just ain't happenin here. Its one of those force yourself to keep playing in the hopes it gets better type of denial loops to try and justify that money spent while slowly coming to accept that the game just isn't resonating. I'm really taken aback at just how shallow the open world is, as for the side activities or what you can do in the world outside main quests it feels like you've seen almost everything there is to do in just a few blocks. Like this feels way more like an Ubi type open world than a CDPR one. It's like some bizarro world shit and it bums me out big time because it feels like CDPR just went with what's trendy with some of the core gameplay systems, namely looter shooter. The combat is fun but egads at the tedium and overabundance of looting in a given combat arena. One thing they should absolutely patch in is an option to loot without having to have your reticle pointed precisely at each individual enemy or container. Be within a certain radius and the option should be there to loot.

I also have fallen off with my engagement in the main story hard since a certain character appears. I don't find most of the characters I've come across as that interesting, the VO performances are decent but the dialogue feels like some Bethesda dry expository crap that isn't emotionally gripping in the slightest. It's really some big whiplash coming off the last story focused AAA game I played, TLOU II. Maybe my tastes in games are just changing but I prefer a much more edited narrative with dialogue that is more naturalistic vs the overly expository visual novel type approach 2077 uses. It just all kinda blends together in this overly expository slush and ends up making a lot of the characters seem like copies of each other outside physical appearance. Just...dull. Not what I want from an rpg. The dialogue feels very VN too, there is some choice but many times it doesn't seem like your choices have much of an impact or change anything at all, its just moving the pace of the story along.

I haven't been this disappointed in a big game like this for awhile. But hey like I said elsewhere, I'm guilty of the hype getting to me, but this is also emblematic of a larger problem with gaming marketing cycles being overly long and promising the moon, 2077 in particular had entirely too much of this behind it. All this emphasis on insane attention to detail and world building, the lavish art book, etc. I don't think anyone can fault others like me for thinking this was going to be something ground breaking in terms of open world design and systems, reactivity etc. I was really hoping for more immersive sim, Deus Ex like flexibility and interactions in the world at large, but outside certain dialogue and combat arenas it just isn't there. Blech :/

edit: On the tech side of things I'm very impressed with how this runs on my system. I know others with 3000 series cards were hoping for better but as someone with an older cpu (3570k) and a 2060S this runs and looks better than a good chunk of other games that don't look nearly as good. I recently discovered I can run it at 4k dlss quality ultra no RT and its perfectly playable. Then again I've never been one to chase for 60+ fps so I can understand the disappointment of those hoping for better on their machines.

Last edited:

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
That's terrible. Hopefully they implement a fix soon.
I'm not sure this has ever more accurately been me at a game's launch:

giphy-1.gif

Not surprised about the laptop issues. You can't even rebind certain keys or change ADS to toggle. Really bizarre for a PC developer to miss these pretty basic features.
Oh yeah, the lack of aim and run toggles suck too.

In my book this release is the Crysis 2 of CDPR's legacy. Just shameful.

ThatWasAJoke

Oct 28, 2017
About 8 hours in playing on a 2080 Super. 1440p, high settings, DLSS Quality and RTX OFF, looks absolutely amazing and I love it so far! Not a single crash yet and only a couple of visual glitches. First person RPGs are my literal favorite type of game to play so may be slightly biased lol.
Haven't had a single bug yet and neither have friends. Guess the day-one patch did wonders.

It looks so good too. Surely you could do RT on a 2080 Super though? Would be interested to know how much that improves the graphics.

ThatWasAJoke

Oct 28, 2017
At that resolution you will see regular drops to 30ish fps.
Huh. Guess that kind of shows that mass RT implementation is still years away.
In complete agreement on this, I had a long screed prepared for an OP about dissatisfaction with open world game design generally being lifeless outside Rockstar titles but you summed it up more succinctly re: 2077 than I did.

I probably only pay full price for 2-3 games a year due to my budget so when a big game like 2077 comes along I obviously have high hopes that it will feel like money well spent and will engage me for 20-30 hours and that just ain't happenin here. Its one of those force yourself to keep playing in the hopes it gets better type of denial loops to try and justify that money spent while slowly coming to accept that the game just isn't resonating. I'm really taken aback at just how shallow the open world is, as for the side activities or what you can do in the world outside main quests it feels like you've seen almost everything there is to do in just a few blocks. Like this feels way more like an Ubi type open world than a CDPR one. It's like some bizarro world shit and it bums me out big time because it feels like CDPR just went with what's trendy with some of the core gameplay systems, namely looter shooter. The combat is fun but egads at the tedium and overabundance of looting in a given combat arena. One thing they should absolutely patch in is an option to loot without having to have your reticle pointed precisely at each individual enemy or container. Be within a certain radius and the option should be there to loot.

I also have fallen off with my engagement in the main story hard since a certain character appears. I don't find most of the characters I've come across as that interesting, the VO performances are decent but the dialogue feels like some Bethesda dry expository crap that isn't emotionally gripping in the slightest. It's really some big whiplash coming off the last story focused AAA game I played, TLOU II. Maybe my tastes in games are just changing but I prefer a much more edited narrative with dialogue that is more naturalistic vs the overly expository visual novel type approach 2077 uses. It just all kinda blends together in this overly expository slush and ends up making a lot of the characters seem like copies of each other outside physical appearance. Just...dull. Not what I want from an rpg. The dialogue feels very VN too, there is some choice but many times it doesn't seem like your choices have much of an impact or change anything at all, its just moving the pace of the story along.
This post makes me really concerned because you same to have to have similar priorities to me. Have heard the story improves as you go on so hoping for the best :/

Deleted member 19293

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Please note that I was half-shitposting and my brain is broken w/r/t keyboards. You need to take everything I write with the understanding that it comes from someone who is this far down the rabbit hole. :)

That said: Red or brown switches will be quietest. Do not get blues.
Reds will be very light, light enough that some people have trouble with errant keypresses (particularly those who rest their fingers on the keys).

I won't lie, any mechanical keyboard will be louder than the MX Keys by default just because of key travel/bottoming out even if you're a light touch. But maybe it's acceptably loud (typing test; contrast with how loud the mouse click is). There are things you can do to make them quieter—o-rings on the keys, foam in the case, installing specifically "silent" switches—but if typing sounds make you/your wife's teeth itch that may not be enough.

If you do end up getting that particular keyboard, I would suggest the hotswap version which will allow you to change out switches without having to desolder anything.
I'm more than likely scoring the aluminum one with the 10-keys and the standard red switches. I don't see needing to swap them out anytime soon. But it was a great suggestion! I love that aesthetic.

Deleted member 3190

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why the hell is a 585MB patch on GOG taking about 20+ minutes to install? Also based on the disk utilization in task manager GOG must have written this thing to my SSD about 15 times over.

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Haven't had a single bug yet and neither have friends. Guess the day-one patch did wonders.

It looks so good too. Surely you could do RT on a 2080 Super though? Would be interested to know how much that improves the graphics.

At that resolution you will see regular drops to 30ish fps.

I've toggled the RTX and off and have played with just about EVERY setting. It definitely looks great but after gaming exclusively on consoles since about ........ 2005, I WANT 60 FPS and resolution!

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Okay so I find changing volumetric cloud to medium and fog to the 2nd highest setting while keeping LoD to high give me a pretty solid 1440/60fps DLSS Auto with RTX on psycho. There are dips only during intense firefights but nothing going below 53fps.
Don't get me wrong, I know the 2080 Super is a great card and I love it. But the 2080Ti is just a monster in comparison for even sharing the 2080 name. Of course the 3000 eat them up all but I JUST got this 2080S in March.

4K_2080Ti.png

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
after today's patch, I got a more stable 30fps on medium 1080p
it is possible to achieve 50-55fps on 720p high but it does look ugly :\
I have no hope of playing this above 40fps so I may just wait the day I upgrade my 1060

OmegaProtocol

Nov 19, 2017
I'm playing my PC (and consoles,) on a 55" C8 OLED. I've never had ANY issues using my PC on my TV, it's actually the only monitor I've ever used for my PC and has been amazing!

1.) Plug in HDMI from GPU to TV
2.) Done lol

RTX 2080 Super
i7 9700k
16 GB DDR4
2 TB Samsung nvme SSD

Awesome, I'm going to play me some Halo and CyberPunk on the big screen.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Man, this month's Humble Monthly is downright decent.

10 games out of the 14 I claimed. Only 4 are either duplicates, or games I don't want that i'll post in a giveaway later this month.

Fireclad

Oct 27, 2017
The Void
4k auto DLSS had some steep nosedives on my 3080 rig. Wasn't sure what to change so I just maxxed everything out, dropped the res to 1440 and capped the frames to 30. It could definitely be cleaner but boy is this immersive and pretty like this.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017

Despite all the technical acccomplishments I never found modern GTA all that immersive compared to, say, cRPGs or immersive sims, because in the end they're just action games with no stakes.

That said I haven't played CP2077 so it might not nail it any better. The marketing was definitely trying to make it seem more like sci-fi GTA.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
The main thing Cyberpunk managed to do for me was make me way more excited for GTA VI than I was before. This open world looks incredible but feels so insanely shallow and lifeless. All smoke and mirrors. A shame really, so much wasted performance. And this after like 6 years in development. San Andreas felt more immersive than this game. Hell even GTA 3 did. A GTA VI with these kind of visuals (probably even better due to Next Gen only) and the level of detail Rockstar is known for is going to be incredible.

Cyberpunk isn't the Blade Runner AAA game I was looking and hoping for. Wonder if there ever will be one...

the open world stuff in cp77 is absolutely amatuer hour.

rdr 2? gta 5? Lol this shit is getting outclassed by gta san andreas in some aspects. The traffic AI is basically non existant. You can block their path and they will just sit there without trying to get around you or anything. You can crash into traffic cars and nothing will happen, the drivers will just be like "oh, damn, just my luck" but never actually get out or show any sort of real aggression.

NPC ai is basically.... oh, you are shooting your guns? Better run 2 feet and crouch down. All with identical animation of course, so you will often see 4-5 npc's in the exact same crouching animation lined up next to eachother. It's absolutely shocking how little variety there is to their reactions. And that is IF they even react.

Also the NPC routines are incredibly shallow. They're on incredibly short, repetative loops.

www.tweaktown.com

Over a thousand Cyberpunk 2077 NPCs will have unique daily routines

CD Projekt RED amps up its divergent real-time AI systems for Cyberpunk 2077.

uh-huh... this shit ain't anywhere near the level of rockstar, bethesda but not even ubisoft.

Despite all the technical acccomplishments I never found modern GTA all that immersive compared to, say, cRPGs or immersive sims, because in the end they're just action games with no stakes.

That said I haven't played CP2077 so it might not nail it any better. The marketing was definitely trying to make it seem more like sci-fi GTA.

what stakes are there in cp77's open world? You can literally start shooting civilians, a few cops with the dumbest AI will spawn out of thin air, then you have an incredibly awkward fight or chase with them for a minute at most and then it's back to like nothing has happened. The wanted system is so incredibly primitive a barebones as well that there is absolutely no fun to be had with it. There is no thrills, no actual consequences. It's like a mechanic that's at the very beginning stages of implementation.

CP77's open world stuff is just poor and feels tacked on. It's way outclassed by its peers. Watch Dogs legion, a game I didn't even like in the end had done all of this much better.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
what stakes are there in cp77's open world? You can literally start shooting civilians, a few cops with the dumbest AI will spawn out of thin air, then you have an incredibly awkward fight or chase with them for a minute at most and then it's back to like nothing has happened. The wanted system is so incredibly primitive a barebones as well that there is absolutely no fun to be had with it. There is no thrills, no actual consequences. It's like a mechanic that's at the very beginning stages of implementation.
I have a feeling that the "next-gen patch" is going to be way more than bringing the PS5/XSX to parity with the PC version graphically, and a will include a big update with a bunch of functionality that CDPR couldn't get in by launch.

Deleted member 2533

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
7 came out like a month ago. 5 games that can last like 60+ hours each in the span of 5 months is a lot.
I suppose it depends. You can't do this with 7 but I managed to blitz the the third act of Yakuza 0 real quick by putting the game on easy and beelining through the story.
That does strip a lot of the fun out of it, but the game went a lot faster when I stopped faffing around with a lot of side systems.

honorless

Oct 28, 2017
Holy shit, Cooler Master brought back the CM Storm Spawn in the form of the MM720!!!

YES! I don't even care that it's got hex holes! FINALLY!!!
I hope I can get the matte white soon. CM pls make a red one because it's still my favorite color to complete the resurrection.

I can't believe Cooler Master saved Christmas!!!

Anoxida

Oct 30, 2017
Heard some people have gained some rather spectacular performance gains with the 1.04 patch. Seems to fluctuate from user to user though.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Does anyone use their HDTV as their monitor for their gaming PC/laptop? I'm thinking of doing that and grabbing the Xbox Game Pass on PC. Is there anything specific I should know?

I have a Sony 900H and these are my PC specs.

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Max-Q 8 GB GDDR6
16 GB Memory DDR4
512 GB SSD
1 x Thunderbolt 3 (Full USB 3.1 Type C)
1 x Mini Display Port 1.4
1 x HDMI 2.0
The one thing I can tell you about gaming laptop + TV, is that sometimes you may have to connect to the TV, then reboot the laptop for the picture to function correctly.

Obviously YMMV with your specific setup, but this is something I have encounter across different setups over the last decade plus, especially if the laptop in question has Optimus.

That's really it though, other than the fact that your Nvidia GPU will be running 100% of the time when connected to the external display.

C4rter

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Why the hell is a 585MB patch on GOG taking about 20+ minutes to install? Also based on the disk utilization in task manager GOG must have written this thing to my SSD about 15 times over.

I don't know the structure of this game but patches for "Path of Exile" also take a very long time, even if they are small. Ir at least they used do, maybe they optimized that.
If the game is structured into large files or archives of some sort, these have to be unpacked, the files that need an update are going to be updated and then they are put back into the archive or rather a new archive is created. That can take time if there are many archives and many small update files.

emmastone

Alt-Account
Banned
Mar 28, 2020
Holy shit, Cooler Master brought back the CM Storm Spawn in the form of the MM720!!!

YES! I don't even care that it's got hex holes! FINALLY!!!
I hope I can get the matte white soon. CM pls make a red one because it's still my favorite color to complete the resurrection.

I can't believe Cooler Master saved Christmas!!!

I used to work for CM. All I can say is they have huge issues with their LEDs, if you care about that.

Blade30

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if the new GeForce driver has issues, I see these flashes intermittently when I'm on my desktop, not enough to be annoying yet, but every 15 min or so there will be a white flash maybe for a frame.

Yeah same, I also had a couple driver crashes so I reverted to the previous one I had installed (457.30).

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
Just bought a 165 Hz monitor for the first time and tested some stuff on it.

Jesus, just browsing the internet feels so much smoother.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I think he's referencing this thread, but to answer your question, Family & Friends payments are considered gifts are have no buyer protection, so if you were to be scammed, odds are PayPal would tell you stiff biscuits and your only recourse would be a chargeback.
First off, holy shit.

More importantly, I was trying to purchase from Zotac directly, so that wouldn't have been an issue. Though if people on r/hardwareswap get reasonable with their prices, I'd of course use Paypal there.

ThatWasAJoke

Oct 28, 2017
I'm new to PC Gaming, built my first rig 3 months ago. I only had one case fan at the back because the others originally broke but because I mainly played League of Legends I didn't really notice. Now playing Cyberpunk I am getting temperatures between 77-83 C and am worried that it is way too hot. I have ordered new fans which should arrive in a few days but am really worried I am going to fry my 2060 Super. Should I stop playing till the fans arrives? Is their something I can do to control this?

Edi: As a note, when I'm playing the GPU utilisation is low, like 15-20% - so do I just have a really bad thermal setup?

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm new to PC Gaming, built my first rig 3 months ago. I only had one case fan at the back because the others originally broke but because I mainly played League of Legends I didn't really notice. Now playing Cyberpunk I am getting temperatures between 77-83 C and am worried that it is way too hot. I have ordered new fans which should arrive in a few days but am really worried I am going to fry my 2060 Super. Should I stop playing till the fans arrives? Is their something I can do to control this?

Edi: As a note, when I'm playing the GPU utilisation is low, like 15-20% - so do I just have a really bad thermal setup?

If you are playing a heavy game with 20 percent GPU utilization, it would barely be running (like sub 20 FPS). Try playing another demanding game and see if still says that. Is CP running normally?

You might be reading it wrong, or your temps are so high it's constantly throttling down (but you should still be running at likely 99 percent up until then).

83 is a little concerning, but not end of the world for most PC gaming stuff. It's when throttling or heavy fans will typically be kicking in though.

ThatWasAJoke

Oct 28, 2017
If you are playing a heavy game with 20 percent GPU utilization, it would barely be running (like sub 20 FPS). Try playing another demanding game and see if still says that.

You might be reading it wrong, or your temps are so high it's constantly throttling down (but you should still be running at likely 99 percent up until then).
Right I probably am just reading it wrong - to be clear the game runs totally fine. I'm more concerned about the temperature issues

So, I just watched the Prince of Persia 2008 epilogue as well as the NDS game and...

giphy.gif

What a whole lot of fucking nothing!
So in the DLC Elika is rightfully angry at the prince and it goes a bit back and forth between them. Cool, cool. That figures. But that's it? Then it just ends there, with a much more cliffhanger, than the main game ever had? Wtf?!
For sure the NDS game will fix this, right? Or it is just another meaningleass story, that doesn't even include Elika and has nothing of value to add again, and just ends with anothet "to be continued" again.

Fun Fact: Since I started playing the game, I had a pretty clear scene of the prince in my head, that he would leave the land alone in the end, through the sandstorm, and out of the blue, suddenly is lost donkey comes across.
I thought, that would be an alternate ending or the DLC or whatever, I had seen once. But it doesn't exist at all. I have no idea how it manifested in my head, where it comes from or with what I might mix this up. But now it kinda haunts me. XD
Welp, whatever.

Since my platforming itch is scratched for now, I decided to go back more into PnC terrain and installed Lake Ridden. I really hope it's not going to trigger my motion sickness too hard.
When I had a quick look at it, it didn't feel too well. There is no way to manipulate the FOV, and when looking around, the camera doesn't seem to be 100% smooth.
I don't want to call it stutter, since there is no problem with the framerate, but I wouldn't know how to describe it otherwise. Hopefully I'll get used to it.

Equirah

Oct 25, 2017
Would anyone be willing to help me dupe some weapons in Dark Souls Remastered? I miscounted the weapons in storage and now can't get the equipment trophy. Whole thing shouldn't take more than a couple of minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.