• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mad

Oct 25, 2017
and yet dismissed by most.
It's just old and boring but it's still important for what it is, but people that dislike wow the most are the people that used to play it
which is why I don't like wow anymore

I also mostly just want some sort of new MMO like thing that tries to do something half assed original but every "Vaguely" new one just tries to be a wow killer or clones wow or something else immensely stupid and its like I stopped playing that I dont want to play that but with space orcs

data

Oct 25, 2017

Also for Eitr, the Devolver game. Game was removed from Steam without devs knowledge. Dev said "Its on Steam, not Epic. Let me ask Devolver."
One day later: "We cant talk about it yet."

So at least most likely Eitr is now an Epic exclusive.

Would be a shame if it's the case. But reading on their forums, could also be that the game is still heavy in development

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Steam cloud is a god damn headache when it backs up files you don't need it to. Evidently it will sometimes just back up everything in a game's save folder, and there's no way to tell it to stop doing that. I wonder if I can just drop in a zip with a backup of completely unrelated data. My iTunes library or something. Then again, I'll have to deal with me being unable to manage Steam cloud files in any way. Really frustrated right now that even basic ass, bare bones cloud management still isn't in the client.

There's a tool someone wrote called Steam Cloud File Manager, but it can only manage those files that are also in userdata\userid\appid, and this game specifically stores some data in that appid folder and some in another, where the save file itself is.

Less profile shit. Better client. Please.

Last edited:

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Is it possible to view my time played statistic anywhere for Doom Eternal on Game Pass? I don't see it on the xbox app, or in game, or on xbox.com.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
Tangentially cyberpunk-related question, but more of a steam general question, I guess....

How does steam handle pre-loads and day '0' patches that are released prior to the game's release? Is that just baked into the pre-load, since the 'day 0' patch technically launched before/around the same time as the pre-load?

Or is it a mystery, since we don't know when the day 0 patch hit relative to the steam 'release' download opening up?

sheaaaa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm kinda at the point with EGS exclusives that I'm happy certain small or indie devs are getting paid. Like I'd really like Enhance Games (Tetris Effect) and IO (Hitman) to keep making games, so take the cash, I'll buy your game on Steam when it eventually hits.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
is any of you Erekiddo on Steam? otherwise this random friend invite clearly wants to HACK ME to celebrate CP2077 release.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
Tangentially cyberpunk-related question, but more of a steam general question, I guess....

How does steam handle pre-loads and day '0' patches that are released prior to the game's release? Is that just baked into the pre-load, since the 'day 0' patch technically launched before/around the same time as the pre-load?

Or is it a mystery, since we don't know when the day 0 patch hit relative to the steam 'release' download opening up?

I'm sure it just depends on the game, if the day 0 patch is included in the Steam build of Cyberpunk that they put in the preload you wont have to download anything extra, if they have an additional patch in addition to what was included in the preload it will have to be downloaded.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
is any of you Erekiddo on Steam? otherwise this random friend invite clearly wants to HACK ME to celebrate CP2077 release.
I know erekiddo and chat with them from time to time. They're OK. it'd be that umm...electric ape pokemon as their avatar at least. If that's the same user, they're good.
Alt. check to see which friends you and they have in common; if I am common then it means they are reputable respectable non-Australian people.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
I have a feeling the new Playdead game is gonna be revealed then (Epic are publishing their game)

Ganado

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Steam cloud is a god damn headache when it backs up files you don't need it to. Evidently it will sometimes just back up everything in a game's save folder, and there's no way to tell it to stop doing that. I wonder if I can just drop in a zip with a backup of completely unrelated data. My iTunes library or something. Then again, I'll have to deal with me being unable to manage Steam cloud files in any way. Really frustrated right now that even basic ass, bare bones cloud management still isn't in the client.

There's a tool someone wrote called Steam Cloud File Manager, but it can only manage those files that are also in userdata\userid\appid, and this game specifically stores some data in that appid folder and some in another, where the save file itself is.

Less profile shit. Better client. Please.
It all depends on how the devs set up Steam Cloud, it is possible to direct it to only use a specific file. But I guess user control would be good if it meant that I could add my own directories and files to games that doesn't support it.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
It all depends on how the devs set up Steam Cloud, it is possible to direct it to only use a specific file. But I guess user control would be good if it meant that I could add my own directories and files to games that doesn't support it.

Is that so? I've had multiple problems with Steam cloud over the years, but they both boil down to it being nice to have manual control over what's stored cloud-side.

1. The Witcher 3:
I've got 300+ hard saves, each of which is almost 3 MB in size and has an associated image thumbnail. That game has a save management process whereby if you delete one save slot, it will bump you back to the top of the saves list or something along those lines. Managing those would take a long time. Trying to delete local saves by going into the folder on your PC will just make Steam redownload them. As a result, I have a save folder that's an extra 700+ MB whenever TW3 is installed or if I don't manually delete the folder after uninstalling.

2. Dark Souls PTDE:
The case I was talking about whereby it will redownload anything in the saves folder. This stems from having had sub-folders in the save folder for each GFWL login on top of it having a save that exists separately from that GFWL sub-folder system (presumably a change that came after GFWL was removed from the game). I didn't wrap my head around this until much later, so I mistook the GFWL folder for the 'root' save game folder when it was actually a sub-folder, and the folder a level above that was treated as the save folder. The meant that everything in that higher level folder is marked by Steam for cloud upload.

So now in my cloud I have GFWL username folder, _backup username 1,2,3, etc. folders, and what turned out to be my actual save file existing outside of the GFWL folder. I want to delete all those GFWL (backup) folders because they're each also filled with 10 of their own backup saves created by DSfix and take up way more space than I'd like. This situation is clearly partly my fault because I misidentified the save folder, but it'd still be nice if I could rectify it.

Until now, I suspected that the PTDE situation is true for every cloud-enabled game, and that you can just put anything the designated save folder for upload to the cloud. I'd test it, but I don't want to put more clutter that I can't then delete in a game's allocated cloud space. Disco Elysium would be a good candidate, because that one gives you 90 gigs of free cloud space.

What prompted my cloud save annoyance was me accidentally giving Siegmeyer a little love tap near the end of his (very capricious) quest chain. The poor fella didn't make it, and I wasn't backing up the right saves in order to redo it :( And removing those pointless backups is not possible.

Last edited:

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
Additionally, I suspect that the PTDE situation is true for every cloud-enabled game, and that you can just put anything the designated save folder for upload to the cloud. I'd test it, but I don't want to put more clutter that I can't then delete in a game's allocated cloud space. Disco Elysium would be a good candidate, because that one gives you 90 gigs of free cloud space.
It's not true for every cloud-enabled game, it just depends on how the developer set it up.

This is how they set it up for Dark Souls: Prepare To Die Edition:

steamdb.info

DARK SOULS™: Prepare To Die Edition · AppID: 211420

Dark Souls will be the most deeply challenging game you play this year. Can you live through a million deaths and earn your legacy? DARK SOULS™: Prepare To Die Edition Steam charts, data, update history.
  • 1/path: NBGI/DarkSouls
  • 1/pattern: *
  • 1/recursive: 1
Which means Steam will upload any files found within that folder and its sub-folders.

This is different to e.g. Dark Souls: Remastered which only uploads the .sl2 file:

steamdb.info

DARK SOULS™: REMASTERED · AppID: 570940

Then, there was fire. Re-experience the critically acclaimed, genre-defining game that started it all. Beautifully remastered, return to Lordran in stunning high-definition detail running at 60fps. DARK SOULS™: REMASTERED Steam charts, data, update history.
  • 0/path: NBGI/570940/{Steam3AccountID}
  • 0/pattern: *.sl2
---

By the way, I had ~500 saves in The Witcher 3 myself but I didn't think it was too bothersome to remove the older ones through the load menu by pressing Up (so it lands on the last one in the list) -> Delete - and then repeat. 😉

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
It's not true for every cloud-enabled game, it just depends on how the developer set it up.

This is how they set it up for Dark Souls: Prepare To Die Edition:

steamdb.info

DARK SOULS™: Prepare To Die Edition · AppID: 211420

Dark Souls will be the most deeply challenging game you play this year. Can you live through a million deaths and earn your legacy? DARK SOULS™: Prepare To Die Edition Steam charts, data, update history.
  • 1/path: NBGI/DarkSouls
  • 1/pattern: *
  • 1/recursive: 1
Which means Steam will upload any files found within that folder and its sub-folders.

This is different to, say, Dark Souls: Remastered which only uploads the .sl2 file:

steamdb.info

DARK SOULS™: REMASTERED · AppID: 570940

Then, there was fire. Re-experience the critically acclaimed, genre-defining game that started it all. Beautifully remastered, return to Lordran in stunning high-definition detail running at 60fps. DARK SOULS™: REMASTERED Steam charts, data, update history.
  • 0/path: NBGI/570940/{Steam3AccountID}
  • 0/pattern: *.sl2
---

I had ~500 saves in The Witcher 3 myself but I didn't think it was too bothersome to remove the older ones through the load menu by pressing Up, then Delete - and then repeat. 😉

Ah, thanks. I should check how a game handles its cloud saves next time I decide to make backups then to avoid the same issues.

As for TW3, I'm guessing you're just deleting the oldest saves then? I wanted to delete some of the ones that weren't near the beginning of certain (story) quest chains, so I'd have to find specific ones from the list. It was too much of a bother to micro-manage, as I recall.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
As for TW3, I'm guessing you're just deleting the oldest saves then? I wanted to delete all the ones that weren't near the beginning of certain (story) quest chains, so I'd have to find specific ones from the list.
Yeah exactly, I forgot to mention that bit. You could also do a manual backup of the savefiles you want to keep (from the folder itself) and delete everything withing the game and re-sync, then restore the backups.

grosvenor92

Dec 2, 2017
Hey Era after browsing GMG I'm tempted to buy THIEF since it's on sale. I've been interested in playing it for quite a while. I know the game got quite a mixed reaction due to being so different than the previous Thief games.

I do enjoy stealth games so will I find some enjoyment in it still or should I just stay away ?

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah exactly, I forgot to mention that bit. You could also do a manual backup of the savefiles you want to keep (from the folder itself) and delete everything withing the game and re-sync, then restore the backups.

I might do just that next time I play it. Thanks again. I think I had a similar issue with Fallout NV or Skyrim, so I'll have to keep this in mind.

In the case of PTDE I think I'm out of luck since the game doesn't even recognize those other saves.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
I might do just that next time I play it. Thanks again. I think I had a similar issue with Fallout NV or Skyrim, so I'll have to keep this in mind.

In the case of PTDE I think I'm out of luck since the game doesn't even recognize those other saves.
No worries, I hope you get it sorted!

It's a shame you can't manage your cloud saves yourself; there's just this cloud viewer that lets you view and download your saves:

store.steampowered.com

Sign In

As for PTDE, I think old savefiles for the GFWL-version are incompatible with the new Steamworks-version. You could convert the savefiles back then if I remember correctly, but I'm not sure if that's possible now.

Ganado

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Ah, thanks. I should check how a game handles its cloud saves next time I decide to make backups then to avoid the same issues.

As for TW3, I'm guessing you're just deleting the oldest saves then? I wanted to delete some of the ones that weren't near the beginning of certain (story) quest chains, so I'd have to find specific ones from the list. It was too much of a bother to micro-manage, as I recall.
Pro tip, start the game and remove the saves while the game is running. That works with most games and will update the cloud "index" with the remaining files.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
It's a shame you can't manage your cloud saves yourself; there's just this cloud viewer that lets you view and download your saves:
store.steampowered.com

Sign In

As for PTDE, I think old savefiles for the GFWL-version are incompatible with the new Steamworks-version. You could convert the savefiles back then if I remember correctly, but I'm not sure if that's possible now.

I've got that link bookmarked yeah. Would indeed be nice if they added a delete option there.

Moving the old GFWL save to the folder that the game now reads for saves allows me to load it just fine. The only difference I noticed at a glance was that the GFWL one is 3 KBs larger than the Steamworks version. Maybe there'd be some funny business with online connectivity if I'd continue with it, but all my progress is on the another file anyway.

Pro tip, start the game and remove the saves while the game is running. That works with most games and will update the cloud "index" with the remaining files.

That totally worked to clean up PTDE's folder! Thanks so much. I guess I could try this with other games as well.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
I just had a nightmare.

I had a dream that "Assassin's Creed Worlds" was announced where you played as an Assassin who traveled to different worlds....or something similar to that.

I think I am losing it if I am dreaming about Assassin's Creed.

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
I just had a nightmare.

I had a dream that "Assassin's Creed Worlds" was announced where you played as an Assassin who traveled to different worlds....or something similar to that.

Not even a good Assassin's Creed from the sound of it

Classy Tomato

Jun 2, 2019
I just had a nightmare.

Imagine the amount of the "?" markers and collectibles you can find! It's fun!

Ganado

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I've got that link bookmarked yeah. Would indeed be nice if they added a delete option there.

Moving the old GFWL save to the folder that the game now reads for saves allows me to load it just fine. The only difference I noticed at a glance was that the GFWL one is 3 KBs larger than the Steamworks version. Maybe there'd be some funny business with online connectivity if I'd continue with it, but all my progress is on the another file anyway.

That totally worked to clean up PTDE's folder! Thanks so much. I guess I could try this with other games as well.
Yeah, it should work with like 99% of all games guaranteed. Might be some problems with games that uses the Steam Cloud API (which very few do).

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Hey Era after browsing GMG I'm tempted to buy THIEF since it's on sale. I've been interested in playing it for quite a while. I know the game got quite a mixed reaction due to being so different than the previous Thief games.

I do enjoy stealth games so will I find some enjoyment in it still or should I just stay away ?
It's a fairly competent stealth game, I think (I played maybe about 4 hours).
The problem is, it's stuck in one of the blandest stories imaginable, and some mechanics are weird (no dedicated jump button)

Also, one thing that annoyed me was that playing on "Master" difficulty, you can't knock out thugs- only "guards" , even though in a number of side missions, they are effectively the same thing, the thugs always count as civvies.

I had an okay amount of fun after the intro/tutorial in the "overworld" City maps, doing a few side jobs and exploring- you can kind of wee where the Prague ub designs in Mankind Divided came from.

But then I had to go do another story mission, presented by "queen of the beggars" who is also your source for health and focus upgrades, and I just... dropped it. Nothing about Garrett or the supporting cast or the City suggested thing were gonna get any more interesting. I was already not a huge fan of Thief 3 ( I forced myself to play through that before playing Dishonored) and Thi4f was just terribland.

The problem is, it's stuck in one of the blandest stories imaginable, and some mechanics are weird (no dedicated jump button)

Also, one thing that annoyed me was that playing on "Master" difficulty, you can't knock out thugs- only "guards" , even though in a number of side missions, they are effectively the same thing, the thugs always count as civvies.

I had an okay amount of fun after the intro/tutorial in the "overworld" City maps, doing a few side jobs and exploring- you can kind of wee where the Prague ub designs in Mankind Divided came from.

But then I had to go do another story mission, presented by "queen of the beggars" who is also your source for health and focus upgrades, and I just... dropped it. Nothing about Garrett or the supporting cast or the City suggested thing were gonna get any more interesting. I was already not a huge fan of Thief 3 ( I forced myself to play through that before playing Dishonored) and Thi4f was just terribland.
Even with all its flaws - Garrett's hand animation still makes it a 10/10. 🤤

tumblr_oqu23wEx4l1vcl415o1_500.gifv
tumblr_n5si8srTYi1sqdjqfo1_500.gif

(Sorry, I had to.)

Garrett himself worked great as a character once again, and I had fun recognizing all the reused names form the previous games. But overall the story was a bit weird, and I could have done without Erin.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019

(Sorry, I had to.)

Garrett himself worked great as a character once again, and I had fun recognizing all the reused names form the previous games. But overall the story was a bit weird, and I could have done without Erin.
I might need to give it another chance, but compared to Dishonored that just did the whole "City under Plague" infinitely better, Thi4f was just lacking.

In other news, since Focus is teasing 2 games, I'm definitely tuning in for TGAs now. My favourite publisher by a pretty wide margin, and as an E.Y.E. fanboy I can't wait for StreumOn's next game.

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
cc58ce9551d89ca221c76ac7e04cd4ecfdb7_1920xt1080_Q100.jpg

I finally managed to finish Eastshade, and am mixed on the game. Was eyeing this one up on Steam but saw it was on Game Pass so played it there.

Boy, what a mixed bag this game is...

It's basically you on an island exploring, doing quests for people, soaking in the atmosphere as inspiration to paint. It's very peaceful, has great looking landscapes, music, a nice variety of quests to complete, interesting NPCs and dialogue.

My main issue is with the game performance. It is SO unoptimized. On my i5, 16GB ram and 1060 6GB I had to run the game on medium settings for it to feel smooth. High settings looked no different, but my GPU fan would spin up. It has the usual pop in and little stutters here and there, but they were manageable.

However 3/4 into the game I was hit with massive freezes, the game crashes multiple times. I straight up couldn't visit some areas of the map; otherwise the game would totally lock up on me. If it happened any earlier, I would have just quit the game, but I was like 1 hour from the end, so I just had to power through. It froze so much I was saving every 5-10 minutes to cover myself ready for a crash. I had a few open quests but I just b-lined to the ending as I couldn't deal with the performance anymore.

I looked at the games Reddit, and other people are talking about the games poor performance. It's a real shame as it ruins a pretty relaxing and good looking game.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman

(Sorry, I had to.)

beautifully erotic~

grosvenor92

Dec 2, 2017

Yeah I remember reviews saying the story wasn't great and the inability of being able to use robe arrows specifically was also a weird choice. I did like both Human Revolution and MD even with it's flaws.

I've only played a bit of the first Thief game but not enough to really see how it compares to the rest of them.

I was sent steam key from fellow resetter Kiru so I will be getting around to checking the game out

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space

I've been wondering this same thing. It'd suck if the preload goes through that long ass unpacking, straight into a day one patch download.

I actually still haven't decided if Cyberpunk is worth playing on day one. I'm seriously shocked that I'm so conflicted on a game to which I've been looking forward for so many years. Hell I upgraded to this monster laptop with a desktop 9700K + RTX 2080 in anticipation of the April release.

I guess after all of this time I should just YOLO mode this one, even if it isn't the game I hoped it'd be.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
I was taking a walk when it came to me that we are near the end of the year, and the different GOTY categories for next year (Uzzy) and I was thinking "what was the actualy Turd of 2020? But just PC related". I was like oh well, I guess there are like 3 possibilities:
  1. That disease we all know
  2. The big 30x0 cards that do not exist.
  3. The big Navi that made fun of 30x0 lack of cards only to be worse.

Later on, just as i was finishing my walk, it came to me. What was the actual real answer to it:

Crucible and Amazon Game Studios. Imagine launching a moba-ish paid game only for it to flop that hard that you put it back into beta and then cancel it. And then you have New World which has been

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
I was taking a walk when it came to me that we are near the end of the year, and the different GOTY categories for next year (Uzzy) and I was thinking "what was the actualy Turd of 2020? But just PC related". I was like oh well, I guess there are like 3 possibilities:
  1. That disease we all know
  2. The big 30x0 cards that do not exist.
  3. The big Navi that made fun of 30x0 lack of cards only to be worse.

Later on, just as i was finishing my walk, it came to me. What was the actual real answer to it:

Crucible and Amazon Game Studios. Imagine launching a moba-ish paid game only for it to flop that hard that you put it back into beta and then cancel it. And then you have New World which has been

Ionno, I think WarCraft III Reforged is a strong contender.

it takes a special type of malice to retroactively ruin a 17-year old classic game, while releasing a turd of a remaster.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Is that so? I've had multiple problems with Steam cloud over the years, but they both boil down to it being nice to have manual control over what's stored cloud-side.

1. The Witcher 3:
I've got 300+ hard saves, each of which is almost 3 MB in size and has an associated image thumbnail. That game has a save management process whereby if you delete one save slot, it will bump you back to the top of the saves list or something along those lines. Managing those would take a long time. Trying to delete local saves by going into the folder on your PC will just make Steam redownload them. As a result, I have a save folder that's an extra 700+ MB whenever TW3 is installed or if I don't manually delete the folder after uninstalling.

2. Dark Souls PTDE:
The case I was talking about whereby it will redownload anything in the saves folder. This stems from having had sub-folders in the save folder for each GFWL login on top of it having a save that exists separately from that GFWL sub-folder system (presumably a change that came after GFWL was removed from the game). I didn't wrap my head around this until much later, so I mistook the GFWL folder for the 'root' save game folder when it was actually a sub-folder, and the folder a level above that was treated as the save folder. The meant that everything in that higher level folder is marked by Steam for cloud upload.

So now in my cloud I have GFWL username folder, _backup username 1,2,3, etc. folders, and what turned out to be my actual save file existing outside of the GFWL folder. I want to delete all those GFWL (backup) folders because they're each also filled with 10 of their own backup saves created by DSfix and take up way more space than I'd like. This situation is clearly partly my fault because I misidentified the save folder, but it'd still be nice if I could rectify it.

Until now, I suspected that the PTDE situation is true for every cloud-enabled game, and that you can just put anything the designated save folder for upload to the cloud. I'd test it, but I don't want to put more clutter that I can't then delete in a game's allocated cloud space. Disco Elysium would be a good candidate, because that one gives you 90 gigs of free cloud space.

What prompted my cloud save annoyance was me accidentally giving Siegmeyer a little love tap near the end of his (very capricious) quest chain. The poor fella didn't make it, and I wasn't backing up the right saves in order to redo it :( And removing those pointless backups is not possible.
I believe there are some third party apps you can use to manage steam cloud data. I had to use one to fix a baldur's gate save corruption issue once. May be worth a look!

1 gift from Eraser_Arcade

GiftBot

Official Giveaway Bot
Verified
Mar 7, 2018
This giveaway has unfortunately been cancelled.

Giveaway

Restrictions:
Hello, I am bot! I come bearing 1 gift from Eraser_Arcade Eraser_Arcade!

This is a raffle that will expire in 12 hours. The winner will be drawn at random! Any prizes leftover after the deadline will become available on a first-come first-serve basis.

These are our awesome prizes:

• Origin Origin: Battlefield 3

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Ionno, I think WarCraft III Reforged is a strong contender.

it takes a special type of malice to retroactively ruin a 17-year old classic game, while releasing a turd of a remaster.
Wait that happened this year?
Man, everything from this year just feels off before like March. If so, then yeah, that thing needs a padding.

1 gift from His Majesty

GiftBot

Official Giveaway Bot
Verified
Mar 7, 2018

Giveaway

Restrictions:
Hello, I am bot! I come bearing 1 gift from His Majesty His Majesty!

This is a day raffle that will expire in 24 hours. The winner will be drawn at random! Any prizes leftover after the deadline will become available on a first-come first-serve basis.

His Majesty said:
I have an extra GoG code for Cyberpunk 2077. Please enjoy responsibly and remember to hydrate.

These are our awesome prizes:

• GOG GOG: Cyberpunk 2077 - Won by Mifec Mifec (30 entries)

Status
Not open for further replies.