• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What are your plans for Christmas?

• Family

Votes: 572 49.6%
  • Games

Votes: 681 59.0%
  • Beer

Votes: 273 23.7%
  • Anime

Votes: 259 22.4%
  • Complaining on the internet

Votes: 507 43.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

rainking187

Oct 25, 2017
Would anyone that got the Bethesda emoticon from the cottage be interested in trading it for a different sale emoticon or background or a sale card?

oneils

Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa Canada
https://www.resetera.com/threads/epic-games-store-discussion.86783/page-7#post-16222166 was not me that took the picture, however if you are talking about the actual website being shown there, it is https://isthereanydeal.com/ which is a price aggregate website, you can also install steam enhanced (a browser extension) so you get information about the cheapest place to get a game and the cheapest historical price directly on a game steam webpage.

This website does not include price for straight up key stores like g2a only for the more "legit" stores, although there is a separate price aggregate for that if you are interested.
Yeah, I was interested in the website. Thanks for that.

Parsnip

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Do you happen to use them for a controller (XBO)? I've been meaning to get some for that specifically and was wondering how long they last. It seems wasteful and definitely expensive to keep buying single use batteries, and the XBO controller really tears through them quickly.
Yeah, primarily on xbox one controller and my older logitech mouse. They last pretty good, but I couldn't say how long exactly, never really paid that close attention that I could even estimate. But yeah, it's definitely nuts to get regular AA's these days, either go with quality rechargeables or a play & charge kit. Long term, I have loops from 2013 that are still going strong.

Oct 25, 2017

"Mirror"

tenor.gif

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
Oh man, Inside is a fascinating game.
Such a great change of pace from the stuff I've been playing, there are no tutorials, no cutscenes, no dialogue, you just play, everything is intuitive and self-explanatory, the game flows seamlessly from the very moment you press start with no interruptions and you're imediately captivated by the misterious atmosphere and intrigued by the boy's circumstances.

Last edited:

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
Teggy Nice! 😃

(me too, I use FAR tho)

Knurek I suppose you missed my post, there was indeed a patch (from SE) and that also saw some small (but annoying) gameplay changes, so it wouldn't surprise me if there was some under the hood changes too.

In any case, technically, saying there was no patch is incorrect. ;)
Pretty sure I did the same. Preordered it, used borderless gaming, and played it for as long as I could. Loved Route A, Route B wore me down and I couldn't finish it.

EDIT: I don't know why the main game isn't on sale (Still $60 USD) and the DLC ($14 USD to see 2B nearly naked) was weak and also isn't on sale. And they're coming out with the GOTY edition without fixing the original game. I don't know what is wrong with SE. Yoko Taro and the marketing is cute but what's the point when you can't get your shit fixed?

I played it day 1, so I think there wasn't a fix at the time, that's pretty much it :)

I hit a point in Risen where I hit a couple of story bugs. I'm going to try to apply the unofficial patch (wish I had looked it up before I started the game). Wish me luck, I may already be dead.

matimeo

UI/UX Game Industry Veteran
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Ditto. Obviously, Steam is my top preference, and in an ideal world the fragmentation we have today wouldn't exist, but I have no qualms using a publisher-specific service if need be. I own several games on Origin, a handful on Battle.net, Tintin on Uplay, and pre-ordered Rage 2 a few hours ago.

Agreed.

TinTin was pretty good unless I'm remembering wrong. Can't wait to hear your thoughts on Rage 2. I don't know what to really make of it after seeing trailers.

Parsnip

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Ubi is really making some bank on Steam, damn.

Just finished beating 'The Guardian' in Darksiders 2 Deathinitive Edition. How far am I? Is this the halfway point?
Maybe 3rd of the way through. The second realm is a bit longer (or maybe it just feels longer cuz it's kind of a slog), and 3rd and 4th realms are pretty short.

Though the kingdom of the dead is a bit long, it has this track so all is forgiven.

Last edited:

zkylon

Oct 25, 2017
Oh man, Inside is a fascinating game.
Such a great change of pace from the stuff I've been playing, there are no tutorials, no cutscenes, no dialogue, you just play, everything is intuitive and self-explanatory, the game flows seamlessly from the very moment you press start with no interruptions and you're imediately captivated but the misterious atmosphere and intrigued by the boy's circumstances.
yeah i liked it a lot, everything's so harrowing about that game and the ending is really something fucking else

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Why is the base price for Far Cry Primal still 50€ after almost 3 years? Makes the discount not worth much even with the Far Cry bundle discount.
Waited so long for it to reach a decent sale price already but now I'm almost considering to just skip it and get the much more recent Far Cry 5 instead as it's only 8€ more.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Ubi is really making some bank on Steam, damn.

Maybe 3rd of the way through. The second realm is a bit longer (or maybe it just feels longer cuz it's kind of a slog), and 3rd and 4th realms are pretty short.

Though the kingdom of the dead is a bit long, it has this track so all is forgiven.

DS2's soundtrack is wonderful. I feel like the realm of the dead would've been better off being half frozen ice and half arid grey wasteland.

So I just got around to playing ALIEN FIELD.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/926350/ALIEN_FIELD/

This is an interesting game. It's a "revival" of an old PC-88 computer game (which is also provided).

Junko Ozawa and Hideki Awata composed the music for this game. (You can change which score you want to listen to)

The game plays like a "open roam pac-man roguelike" (Each level is randomly generated).

Full discloser: I am friends with the developer - if you guys buy it and have any comments, be sure to let me know.

I know of their titles and anytime I wanna pick it up, I am held back by backlog and the pricing of them XO.

Knurek

Oct 26, 2017
I mean, you can't have Epic Launcher exclusivity without pissing off MacOS and Linux users who have already funded your game.
It is known. #Won'tSomebodyThinkOfTheDevelopers.

Last edited:

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
I mean, you can't have Epic Launcher exclusivity without pissing off MacOS and Linux users who have already funded your game.
It is know. #Won'tSomebodyThinkOfTheDevelopers.
Money bags aren't compatible with Linux or Mac yet. Those kickstarter keys will be worth a ton, though.

zkylon

Oct 25, 2017
Number of people interested in that Steam Top Sellers thread is kinda sad.
Something positive about Steam? No thanks.
i mean, i feel like lacking any real numbers none of that info is very interesting? like established AAA franchises doing the best is nothing too exciting, specially when very few of the "best new releases" show up on the top sellers list

like the top sellers for new releases gives you no indication how much money any of those made, not relative to other months or other games so it's hard to say what any of that means

like maybe i'm missing something but seems kinda useless??

Only played about 15 minutes, can't wait to see more.
i think some bits aren't super fun but it's a mostly flawless game and thoroughly impressive

(and i still think the craziest plot twist of them all is when you see the made with unity logo at the end... how the fuck)

As did I and it was fine. People here act like unpatched Nier is an atrocity that melts computers.
yeah idk what this patch is about, i played it on release

yuraya

Oct 25, 2017
So that stat means 36 million different people played a steam game using a controller this year?

That seems like a lot tbh. Kind of crazy when you consider how the biggest games on steam are all like M/KB competitive stuff too.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Talos is fantastic. You should definitely grab that.

Done! I hope I enjoy it more than The Witness. A game I can't say I dislike, the world is incredibly memorable, but I could never really connect to it, and when it ended I felt deflated and bemused, rather than satisfied. Talos Principle does look less obscure and more accessible than The Witness. We shall see... (well, I'll see.)

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
i mean, i feel like lacking any real numbers none of that info is very interesting? like established AAA franchises doing the best is nothing too exciting, specially when very few of the "best new releases" show up on the top sellers list

like the top sellers for new releases gives you no indication how much money any of those made, not relative to other months or other games so it's hard to say what any of that means

like maybe i'm missing something but seems kinda useless??

It shows that good games still sell. People find and buy good games even with all the issues Steam has. Also it shows that you still can earn ton's of money if you give customers choice where to buy games.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
Well, applying the Risen patch didn't help, but it didn't hurt either.

Basically, there was supposed to be an NPC that would help me fight a monster I couldn't fight on my own and also tell me where to go. With the help of a guide and a skeleton conjuring scroll, I was able to work around it.

Also, there is a door that you are supposed to open by triggering two winches. I got one down, then quit the game. When I started the game back up, the door was open. I can't finish the quest, but it seems like it doesn't matter.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
So, just finished Unavowed

What an amazing game, could certainly be called the best modern adventure game I have ever played. It's note quite perfect, I'd love for there to be a bit more content, though with 11 hours, it's certainly not a short adventure game. It's just that the game doesn't go into a lot of depth with the dialogues. I feel hiring a second writer, and doubling the amount of dialogue would have helped this game a ton. The prologue is also a bit to short, it's little more than a tutorial, and I feel they could have expanded that a lot.

I really like how Wadjet Eye has taken the BioWare model of having a hub area, and choosing a few characters for each mission, and made it work excellently in a PnC game. It's simple, but creates a lot of replayability, while still making each mission feel more meaningful. You can see multiple choices for each of your two characters, and often also things that you might have been able to do, if you had chosen a different party.

On top of that, I really love the setting in this. It's taking the Blackwell setting, supernatural ghost-filled New York, and bringing it to the next level. Essentially, all myths and legends are true, and a secret organisation - the eponymous Unvowed - must keep the muggles, sorry, mundanes safe. Maybe it's because I was already a fan of the Blackwell games, but it made the world feel almost effortlessly interesting.

I really hope Wadjet Eye keeps making these big adventure games forever. Technobabylon, and now this, they really manage to top themselves with each project. Ups, thanks Knurek , guess I messed up there.

The increased resolution in this is noteworthy, but feels secondary to all the interesting design ideas they introduce to the genre, honestly.

Shoutout to Crosscode

Last edited:

Knurek

Oct 26, 2017
Wadjet Eye didn't develop Technobabylon, he just took care of voice acting casting and publishing duties.

BlueOdin

Oct 26, 2017
Man, Chuchel getting review bombed by racists is so sad. Game seems to have so much charme and now it has a "mostly negative" rating because some people are so vile.

Fucking gamers.

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, is it really mostly negative just because they made the main character orange instead of black? That it?

Fucking dumb.

zkylon

Oct 25, 2017
i heard good stuff about unavowed, i want to play it

It shows that good games still sell. People find and buy good games even with all the issues Steam has. Also it shows that you still can earn ton's of money if you give customers choice where to buy games.
both are questionable

the latter is straight up bollocks since there's no real sales data here, we can't tell if these games made "tons of money". the best info i can get from this is that new F2P games don't seem to do too well on steam. you can also sort of deduce that these stats aren't super encouraging as they have pillars of eternity 2 in the top sellers of its month and afaik that game kinda flopped?

the former is also kinda weird since while it is a list of (mostly) good games, just like the top sellers list, it relies a ton on branding and name recognition (as in, "from the makers of FTL comes into the breach")

like i haven't been keeping up with 2018 as much as i wish i was so can't really argue that important games are missing from that list but for me lacking any real sales data this ranking is about as pointless as it can be

Wait, is it really mostly negative just because they made the main character orange instead of black? That it?

Fucking dumb.
yes

what's hilarious is these people are complaining about snowflakes overreacting over nothing

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
i heard good stuff about unavowed, i want to play it

both are questionable

the latter is straight up bollocks since there's no real sales data here, we can't tell if these games made "tons of money". the best info i can get from this is that new F2P games don't seem to do too well on steam. you can also sort of deduce that these stats aren't super encouraging as they have pillars of eternity 2 in the top sellers of its month and afaik that game kinda flopped?

the former is also kinda weird since while it is a list of (mostly) good games, just like the top sellers list, it relies a ton on branding and name recognition (as in, "from the makers of FTL comes into the breach")

like i haven't been keeping up with 2018 as much as i wish i was so can't really argue that important games are missing from that list but for me lacking any real sales data this ranking is about as pointless as it can be

yes

what's hilarious is these people are complaining about snowflakes overreacting over nothing

Previous years Platinum Tier was reserved for games that sold 1M or more copies, Gold was 500-1M i think and so on. So we know rough data. And it does show that games like GTA V, Ubisoft games and TES Online that are all sold outside of Steam on separate launches still sell well on Steam despite they being available for cheaper on other platforms.

Nov 1, 2017
Civ V and Civ VI in the >50,000 simultaneous players. Only games that have the same or more simultaneous players and are older than Civ V are TF2 (2007) and Gary's Mod (2006).

EDIT: Gonna go out on a limb and say Counter Strike 1.6 is the oldest game on the "Most Simultaneous players" list by a long shot. They date it coming out in 2000 which predates steam and that might be when 1.6 came out.

Endruen

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Last chance to enter the giveaway:

So now that I got my first job and with Christmas coming, I thought I might repay you guys with a small but special giveaway for all of you.

Endruen's Christmas Giveaway

The Rules

To enter the giveaway, you just have to PM me a picture of your waifu/husbando in christmas/winter clothes.
Example:
Bd14Yzz.jpg

It doesn't matter if it's real or not, you cand send me a picture of your SO or that anime girl you like, whatever rustles your jimmies as long as they wear the correct attire (heck, slap them a christmas hat with Photoshop if you need to).

A couple of important points:
- NSFW are accepted, just don't send anything illegal.
- Sending the pic gives me consent to post it if you're drawn as a winner. If you don't want your SO pic around here, just blur their face or ask me to do it.

The Prizes

There will be 3 prizes consisting on one Steam game (or several cheaper games) at the winner's choosing, the maximum price of which will depend on their placement:

- 1st Place: Steam Game(s) worth $40

- 2nd Place: Steam Game(s) worth $20

- 3rd Place: Steam Game(s) worth $10

Only games will be gifted, primarily via Steam and if due to regions it can't be done, a 3rd party reliable store (like Humble Bundle) will be used. No Steam credit or cash will be gifted by any means.

The Giveaway

The giveaway will last 5 days.
Once the time is up, 3 winners will be drawn at random using a random number generator, the numbers being the order in which the participants entered the raffle. The order of the drawn winners will determine their prizes.
I'll make a post announcing the winners, I'll contact them via PM and then I'll add them as Steam friends in order to give them the prizes.

Good luck, everybody, and happy holidays!

Status
Not open for further replies.