• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What are your plans for Christmas?

• Family

Votes: 572 49.6%
  • Games

Votes: 681 59.0%
  • Beer

Votes: 273 23.7%
  • Anime

Votes: 259 22.4%
  • Complaining on the internet

Votes: 507 43.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
unknown.png

Getting closer to my sale stash. The first one with a steady job, yay!

TC McQueen

Oct 27, 2017
So, I got New Gundam Breaker for $17 the other day and played a few hours of it. It's pretty alright for a mindless hack and slash type deal, but you know what sucks? The lack of a proper lock on system. I really don't get why anyone thought that a lock on system where you couldn't cycle through targets was a good idea in a game where you can easily be mobbed by enemies.

On the other hand, it's kind of absurd how easy it is to just spam attacks and wind up killing enemies.

The other thing that's annoying is the constantly moving bin that you're supposed to dump loot into.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Sucks to hear about that DLC. Is the Death of the Outsider DLC good?

I was about to leave the house but decided to update my laptop first for some reason. Turns out its updating Win10 version 1809...

200w.gif

Death of the Outsider is good. And Prey Typhoon Hunter is made in new engine and it is very basic, on top of that there are 0 graphics settings.

ussjtrunks

Oct 25, 2017
Wheres the cheapest place to grab Monster Hunter World, Sunset Overdrive, Life is Strange 2 and Edith Finch?

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Not only have I gotten some nice games from the Steam sale, but the whole event has raised my profile level to 9 and now I've got a spiffy wallpaper and badge to show off.

6Ebj.gif

edit: shame you can't zoom in on your badge though, art looks nice but it's tiny. :/

matimeo

UI/UX Game Industry Veteran
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
So, Katamari Damacy REROLL hadn't configured Steam Cloud properly so I reached out to Bandai-Namco regarding this and they told me to contact Steam Support. I actually had no big hopes there since I'm guessing they don't want to shit up other devs configs etc, however they were able to get someone from Bandai-Namco to fix it 3 hours after they responded to my ticket, which made me think that Steam Support really is much much better than what it used to be!

And the total time with 2 responses was 33h, which is good, considering its the Holiday Sale. I'm guessing that direct contact a la Epic would've been easier, but having Steam support investigate the problem and all saves a lot of time too.

Thank you for getting this fixed before I play the game in a bit.

Why is Steam so shit when it comes to removing alt-right groups/curators/publishers? There aren't any options for racism, sexism or homophobia when reporting.

It's all pretty much "is this illegal? no? ok then".

The one negative thing I noticed when working at Valve back in the day was the lack of diversity in their workforce. It's a big conversation in the industry and I'm sure they too have been working on improving this as other companies in tech and gaming have.

It's so important to have people from different backgrounds and perspectives because when it comes to reporting features like this , I garuntee if you have a diverse set of people in the room while designing it those options would be there.

I have a friend who works on a Minecraft and she noticed all the new achievement art that was being added only featured Steve, and I was shocked to find out there is a girl character lol.

Satya (CEO of MS) has been very serious about pushing a culture of inclusivity so no matter what your role is you are to think about that and report on what you are doing to ensure we are building inclusive and accessible products. He's the reason the accessibile Xbox controller was released. He has an disabled child so these things hit close to home for him.

Anyway, My friend pitched that they use the girl on some achievements which seems minor but is really a big deal. I don't play Minecraft but due to marketing's focus on Steve I just had no idea there was a girl character. It's a huge deal especially for kids to have that choice during play.

Hm, ~36€ (GMG: VIP + Coupon GMG12) for Shadow of the Tomb Raider + Season Pass doesn't sound too bad. I might bite at this point.

GMG has been pretty amazing this sale and if you're VIP you get to stack 15% off instead of just 12%. VIP page has a code.

GOG has also been doing really well with games cheaper than Steam sale prices. Definitely check both if you're on a budget.

Thanks for sharing , pretty awesome once you import your wishlist.

I hope everyone is or will be enjoying some time off. I'm exhausted it's been a long year, new job, my cat and a close friend passed away, industry recognition for my gaming development career thus far being featured in a book that was released, internal recognition at work from Phil Spencer and other executives. Just lots of ups and downs.

As far as games being exclusive, it's just life. Online retail is just following traditional retail. Life is too short to worry about it. Support those you want to, and enjoy life. Everyone is mostly just trying to make ends meet the best way they can.

Thanks everyone for all your suggestions over the year, I honestly would not know what to check out without you all.

Freezard

Oct 28, 2017
How ya all doing with the 52 game challenge, I'm at 49 completed games this year.

Shit's about to go down. Need to finish three games real quick.

PJsprojects

Oct 30, 2017
England
Has anyone managed to redeem the Green man gaming holiday gift bundle code that VIP's get?
I clicked on the reveal code and the code popped up but after putting it in the redeem box the apply prompt is still grayed out??

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
It' just unfortunate naming. It was originally Steam competitor by Paradox long before gamergate was even a thing.

Yeah I looked up the history of it just out of curiosity and as you say, what an unfortunate coincidence for them.
===========

On an unrelated note, I picked up the Soul Calibur VI Deluxe edition this sale and it's actually amazing. Runs at 4K/60FPS with room for downsampling, (currently 110 Resolution scale.) Gonna see how far I can push this later. Frametimes are a surprisingly even 16.7 across the board too with RTSS enforcing the 60 cap.

I'm legit amazed this is a well optimized PC port from a Japanese publisher.

Oct 27, 2017
Has anyone managed to redeem the Green man gaming holiday gift bundle code that VIP's get?
I clicked on the reveal code and the code popped up but after putting it in the redeem box the apply prompt is still grayed out??
That's not a redeem code, it's a discount/voucher code.

You have to add the "Holiday Sale Mystery Bundle" to your cart (link below), and on your cart page, add your code to the appropriate field, and it should apply the discount and turn the amount to 0. Just complete your order, and you got your free game.

https://www.greenmangaming.com/games/holiday-sale-mystery-bundle/

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Subnautica is surprisingly touching near the end. A nice little game, wish there was more story content.

Hereafter

Dec 13, 2017
So if you have to choose between PoEII: Deadfire and Divinity II which one would it be?

I'm more into fun combat and character customization than story.

TenaciousD

Banned
Mar 6, 2018
World of Warships Free Ishizuchi Key - 300 doubloons & 3 day premium membership, new users only
Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.
God, I feel dirty buying removed games from G2A. That site really is trash.

Hereafter

Dec 13, 2017
Thanks, gonna get Divinity.

Does anyone want "OPERATION FLASHPOINT RED RIVER". Just got it from the GMG mystery package.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
So if you have to choose between PoEII: Deadfire and Divinity II which one would it be?

I'm more into fun combat and character customization than story.
DOS2 by a wiiide margin. I'd call it the best RPG ever made.

And tbh I think DOS2's writing is miles better than PoE2 as well. It's built to enhance roleplaying as much as possible.

PJsprojects

Oct 30, 2017
England

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio

What was obviously a very not-finished turn based mode was mistakenly patched in with a bug hotfix for like an hour. It's clearly had some work put in to it but also still pretty rough. Ultimately who knows if it sees the light of day, but I think the best bet is it's a thing that launches alongside the console versions if they can get it to feel good. So much of the game needs rebalanced and reworked.

Re: Divinity 2 vs. Pillars 2, I find that I enjoy most any given combat scenario more in Divinity, but over the course of the game I end up enjoying the mechanics way less than Pillars 2 because I just can't get on with the player/party progression. In the end the sheer breadth of build options is what keeps me enjoying the mechanics in the Pillars games more than Divinity, even though I love igniting some oil fields.

Hereafter

Dec 13, 2017
What was obviously a very not-finished turn based mode was mistakenly patched in with a bug hotfix for like an hour. It's clearly had some work put in to it but also still pretty rough. Ultimately who knows if it sees the light of day, but I think the best bet is it's a thing that launches alongside the console versions if they can get it to feel good. So much of the game needs rebalanced and reworked.

Re: Divinity 2 vs. Pillars 2, I find that I enjoy most any given combat scenario more in Divinity, but over the course of the game I end up enjoying the mechanics way less than Pillars 2 because I just can't get on with the player/party progression. In the end the sheer breadth of build options is what keeps me enjoying the mechanics in the Pillars games more than Divinity, even though I love igniting some oil fields.

What about the POE character customization that's better than D2?

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
I've decided not to buy anything on Steam these winter sales, my backlog is huge!

I did buy AC Origins on uPlay tho. 66% discount + additional 20% discount in exchange for 100 points made it only €15.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
This month has been great with all the Winter sales and promotions.

This is what I got this month....

PS4
-Assassin's Creed The Ezio Collection - $15
-God of War III Remastered - $5

PS4 Total: $20

Epic Games Store
-Subnautica - $0

EGS Total: $0

GOG
-Full Throttle Remastered - $0
-Rayman Forever - $2
-Rayman 2: The Great Escape - $2
-Rayman 3: Hoodlum Havoc - $2
-Shadowrun: Dragonfall - Director's Cut - $0

GOG Total: $6

Origin
-Alice: Madness Returns - $5
-Mass Effect: Andromeda Deluxe Edition - $6

Origin Total: $11

Uplay
-Anno 1602 - $0

Uplay Total: $0

Steam
-Fanatical Kingslayer Bundle (Styx: Shards of Darkness, The Age of Decadence, SimCity 4 Deluxe Edition) - $5
-BlazBlue Centralfiction - $10
-BlazBlue Centralfiction - Additional Playable Character JUBEI - $3
- Cloudbuilt - Defiance - $0.75
-Duke Nukem Forever: Hail to the Icons Parody Pack - $2.50
-Duke Nukem Forever: The Doctor Who Cloned Me - $2.50
-Fable Anniversary - $9
-Final Fantasy Type-0 HD - $12
-Killer Instinct - $10
-Nitroplus Blasterz: Heroines Infinite Duel - $9
-Quantum Break - $10
-Resident Evil Revelations 2 Extra Episode: Little Miss - $3
-Resident Evil Revelations 2 Episode: The Struggle - $3
-Secret of Mana - $16
-Sonic Mania - $7
-Sonic Mania - Encore DLC - $2.50
-Tropico 4: Collectors Bundle - $1
-Watch_Dogs Complete - $10
-Wild Guns Reloaded - $5
-Xanadu Next - $8

Steam Total: $135.25

Grand Total: $172.25

Last edited:

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
What about the POE character customization that's better than D2?

It's hard to explain I guess. I'm someone who likes to look at a huge mental spreadsheet full of the abilities that my character class(es) can get on one side and a whole lot of items on the other and see how I can get everything to synergize in a way that makes them powerful, and I just never feel like I have that in the Divinity games. Part of it is I think Divinity has struggled to make an itemization system that appeals to me - items are mostly randomized, and the crafted weapons are just not super interesting, and each "level" of item can be massively more powerful than an item you got like 15 minutes ago, so nothing every really feels permanent. Meanwhile I think Deadfire can go up against any RPG ever made for its itemization, and part of that is you can grab an item on the third map of the game and upgrade it a bit over time to stick with you through the entire game just because of one or two unique properties and how those synergize with your class(es) or make up for deficiencies. In a more cynical sense I guess I enjoy wrangling the numbers together to build my character and a few ways to apply them in combat more than choosing a larger set of verbs to act with and then executing on those.

This is probably very particular to me more than a real criticism of either game.

Oct 25, 2017
I bought way more than I thought.
I bought the Amanita Bundle, Unavowed, Thronebreaker, Yakuza 0 and Bayonetta.
I'll never finish any of those games but at least I have them yay

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I've completely given up trying to find games on Steam's store--if it's not on my wishlist it doesn't exist.

Games getting highlighted on other sites (via sales) is basically how I discover them now, if they're not already on my radar.

Mar 23, 2018
I don't really look up for games on steam, pretty much only the stuff that appears queued on the Explore tab. I do however check out the games you guys usually post in here, so I appreciate that. I've added quite a few of those to my wishlist.

vitormg

Oct 26, 2017
Brazil
My steam discovery queue is quite good actually. I've came across quite a few interesting titles that would've been missed otherwise. Eventually some animu garbage shows up, but I just hit ignore and it's all good

Status
Not open for further replies.