• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What are your plans for Christmas?

• Family

Votes: 572 49.6%
  • Games

Votes: 681 59.0%
  • Beer

Votes: 273 23.7%
  • Anime

Votes: 259 22.4%
  • Complaining on the internet

Votes: 507 43.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
Yea! You're entitled to those games, that Steam version, and those features!! Those would have all happened if it wasn't for Epic. Now you're simply left with thousands of other great games to play. Damn them!
Did I hurt you? I never said I was entitled to anything. They're not entitled to my money or support, either.

Like Steam has never had some broken games with network problems..

By all means, don't buy broken games. Don't download other clients. Play only on Steam. That's fine. But people who are saying that Epic is "actively making their PC experience worse" is BS. Those people themselves are making their own experience worse. None of these games on Epic's store would be released already on Steam. Most of these games we know are coming at a later date... Nothing got worse. People just think they are entitled to x game on Steam because there's a PC version of it, and are actually convincing themselves their experience is worse because of it.

Do people complain that developers who make a game and only release it on console are "actively making their PC experience worse"? Because that's ludicrous.

Your PC experience is what you make of it. If you limit your experience to only Steam... then that's your own fault.

The more and more you post, the more I'm convinced you don't know shit. Many of the games exclusive to the Epic store already have Steam pages. They're paying developers to move their games over to their store exclusively, and away from Steam. One service has features I value, and the other has no features.

Then you have games like Hades, which never got announced prior to the Epic Game Store announcement. You could say it never planned on coming to Steam, but that doesn't change the fact that they're releasing an Early Access game on a platform with no community features. I can't support that.

I don't get what posters like you are trying to do. It's weird to me. Go annoy someone else, please.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
But people who are saying that Epic is "actively making their PC experience worse" is BS.

It's actually true. The average user's PC experience is playing games on Steam and having access to all sorts of extra features that the Epic Games Store lacks. This makes the experience worse. Had Epic chosen to compete with Steam on features, price, services or policies, things would be different. Now the argument is very much true.

Most of these games we know are coming at a later date... Nothing got worse.

I have no idea how you can make that argument when some of these 'exclusives' were clearly hastily yanked off Steam at the last minute or were tied down by very long exclusivity deals. It is absurd to claim that nothing got worse.

Do people complain that developers who make a game and only release it on console are "actively making their PC experience worse"? Because that's ludicrous.

No, but PC gamers have been very vocal in the past that many console games should have been released on PC. The flood of former console exclusives on PC beacuse customers were vocal about their preferred platform and 'forced' the developers to come to them instead of following the games. Sound familiar maybe?

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

By all means, don't buy broken games. Don't download other clients. Play only on Steam. That's fine. But people who are saying that Epic is "actively making their PC experience worse" is BS. Those people themselves are making their own experience worse. None of these games on Epic's store would be released already on Steam. Most of these games we know are coming at a later date... Nothing got worse. People just think they are entitled to x game on Steam because there's a PC version of it, and are actually convincing themselves their experience is worse because of it.

Your PC experience is what you make of it. If you limit your experience to only Steam... then that's your own fault.
...it seems you did no research whatsoever into this, I'm sorry to say

Digoman

Oct 27, 2017

I *highly* doubt Ashen, with it's Steam store page wouldn't have released on it by now if it wasn't for the deal with Epic. Yeah, these developers just changed dates, removed store pages, etc, days/weeks before the release date because they were always planning to release a year later.

But more importantly, reviews and forums are specially important to warn people about broken or buggy games. Ashen is the perfect example of why these features, even with their flaws, make "my PC experience" better on Steam right now. Features that either Epic has not plans of implementing of will be more limited. And that's before considering the better refund policy on Steam.

Talus

Banned
Dec 9, 2017
Did I hurt you? I never said I was entitled to anything. They're not entitled to my money or support, either.

The more and more you post, the more I'm convinced you don't know shit. Many of the games exclusive to the Epic store already have Steam pages. They're paying developers to move their games over to their store exclusively, and away from Steam. One service has features I value, and the other has no features.

Then you have games like Hades, which never got announced prior to the Epic Game Store announcement. You could say it never planned on coming to Steam, but that doesn't change the fact that they're releasing an Early Access game on a platform with no community features. I can't support that.

I don't get what posters like you are trying to do. It's weird to me. Go annoy someone else, please.
This is pretty much my first interaction with you. One response and you already claim I'm annoying you. You don't seem to have much of a tolerance for differing opinions I guess, which is unfortunate... because I've seen many of your posts and think you're a great poster, especially in the Steam controller thread. You're extremely helpful.

So I'm sorry I annoy you and you hate my opinion, but I just disagree with you here and think what you said there was ridiculous. You're making it sound like Epic is the devil. Now, about what you just said..

Yes.. those stores have pages because those games are still eventually coming to Steam... what's the problem? Was your PC experience worse during the months when Capcom released the console versions of Monster Hunter World first and you had to wait for the PC version? The answer should be NO because you can't have a PC experience with a game until it is released on PC.. and since you're not playing anything which isn't on your own preferred platform.. your experience isn't any worse... you haven't had any experience with it yet by your own choice. What you're doing is acting ENTITLED to those games... because you think you should have them on Steam. That's being entitled.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

TheLetdown

Oct 25, 2017
Haha. What in the world is happening in here? This thread is supposed to be free from gaming side nonsense.

I'm not blaming any mods or belittling the moderation here but the plain fact is that discussion regarding PC is not as much of a well-trodden path as console discussion.

So, what is summarily identified and actionable as trolling with consoles is often given a lot more room when it comes to PC.

matimeo

UI/UX Game Industry Veteran
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I bet EA's approach was less successful than Ubi's approach dollar for dollar.

If only that's all business was based on. It's not. That's why you have widely successful businesses operating at little to no profit for years like Amazon or Netflix.

I was at Valve when EA pulled away. Interestingly I found this article where Valve talks about why

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-08-08-ea-explains-battlefield-3-steam-no-show

Gabe also tried Origin early on and said it was ok. He saw positives and negatives but didn't seem bothered.

Now some noted that Rockstar is allowed to do what EA was trying to do so potentially Valve changes their terms.

Now because business is petty basically someone got upset. EA obviously sees itself as a big player so to lose out on a negotiation with a third party store did not sit well with them.

Publishers are also customers to Valve and Gabe talks about that. It was my job to engage with developers and big time publishers in the same way others engaged with the community. Valve not only delivers customer facing features for buyers but non public facing features for developers. All platforms do this work.

But here is what EA won't say. I think EA was also concerned about Valve having access to their customer and sales data. This is invaluable. Valve was also funding more games and seen as a quasi competitor and no one wants their competitors to have access to data before them on one platform.

Origin was already in development as a drm and social network allowing them to bridge their console and mobile efforts. When this blow up happened someone at EA probably floated the idea to turn the drm solution into a launcher and they went from there.

Had the blow up not happened EA would most likely be using the Ubisoft model but EA was early with the micro transactions push hence the first bigger publisher to bump heads with Valve after an unsuccessful buyout offer. The reaction internally was calm so no one seemed shocked. This is natural to do in business as it's risk mitigation you don't want all your eggs in a basket you don't control especially as public facing company because shareholders want to know ok what's the plan if platform X packs it in?

Owning your end to end distribution is valuable not all value adds are straight dollars.

There was a much bigger reaction when MS made moves but I think that's only because many on the steam side are ex Microsoft so emotions tend to run high. I do remember a high level Valve employee yelling at developers on the phone asking what MS was really offering them other than money. lol.

But today I doubt Gabe is concerned it's business and no doubt he expects bigger companies will try various strategies. They will do what they can to mitigate but it's just business and business changes strategy all the time at public facing companies especially when new leadership steps in.

Talus

Banned
Dec 9, 2017
No, actually that's just expressing a preference and voting with one's wallet.
Think about it. You claim your PC experience is worse because that game you didn't have, you still don't have. lol.. think about what that means. You feel you deserve it right NOW.. but that you don't have it because it was taken from you. That's the feeling of entitlement. Just admit that to yourself.. man :D

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
Another random anecdote on the Epic store I told my youngest brother he could get subnautica free as he has wanted it for awhile. I was curious to see if he knew because I know he's been playing fortnite. He not only knew and was excited but knew about a sequel. He gets all his development news thru Twitter. He gets help for games not on forums but YouTube. This makes sense as he's the Minecraft generation and YouTube was like google to them growing up because they got exposed to gaming so young when reading was still a challenge. It's fascinating to me to see how younger generations do things differently probably to avoid older nosy siblings lol.

Too bad for him now I have my excuse to stalk him on yet another platform oh I'm just using my account I made for UT4 (I will never forget Epic!) for free games and oh look ill just add him.

On a serious note kids grow up so fast. I had to set up his steam account back in the day so it was locked down and private and tell him don't talk to strangers! Don't click any links ! Now he's signing up for things by himself playing games without me. Sad man. Sad.

cute story! for me its funny to see my younger brother lose interest in gaming, while im still going on

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
Think about it. You claim your PC experience is worse because that game you didn't have, you still don't have. lol.. think about what that means. You feel you deserve it right NOW.. but that you don't have it because it was taken from you. That's the feeling of entitlement. Just admit that to yourself.. man :D

It was announced to have it "right now". Im not sure why people cant criticise it...

matimeo

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
cute story! for me its funny to see my younger brother lose interest in gaming, while im still going on

Yes my other younger brother doesn't game at all anymore. It's unreal to me. Starting to think maybe he's not related lol.

I have a good friend who I've been gaming with since kindergarten and his twin sister I'm friends with too, she never got into gaming. it's like it skips a sibling ha ha.

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
This is pretty much my first interaction with you. One response and you already claim I'm annoying you. You don't seem to have much of a tolerance for differing opinions I guess, which is unfortunate... because I've seen many of your posts and think you're a great poster, especially in the Steam controller thread. You're extremely helpful.

So I'm sorry I annoy you and you hate my opinion, but I just disagree with you here and think what you said there was ridiculous. You're making it sound like Epic is the devil. Now, about what you just said..

My tolerance for differing opinions is fine, I just don't have much for your nonsense. You've been going on and on about this Epic stuff for the last few days and it's really annoying. I get that this is the level of discourse expected in PC related threads, but that doesn't mean I have to like it. It's our first interaction because I've been actively avoiding posters like you. You make my Era experience worse.

No, actually that's just expressing a preference and voting with one's wallet.
Thank you. I don't know what else I can say.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Origin has a discount code that you can use atm
SAVE30

There is a DLC pack for Mass Effect 3 that nets you all the SP DLC instead of using Bioware points.

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
Thank you.

SAVE30

There is a DLC pack for Mass Effect 3 that nets you all the SP DLC instead of using Bioware points.
Using the 7 day Origin Access trial that Madjoki posted about the other day got me an extra 10% as well. I picked up Burnout Paradise Remastered because I am weak.

matimeo

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
SAVE30

Im happy they finally started discounting this and unbinding it from BioWare points only. I still remember the mess of MS points I think they were called.

Thank you.

Using the 7 day Origin Access trial that Madjoki posted about the other day got me an extra 10% as well. I picked up Burnout Paradise Remastered because I am weak.

Doing that has to be the cheapest it's ever been right? So 40% off. Not bad.

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
Hold up Nabs, you own a game that isn't on Steam? It's almost as if you are fine with other launchers/storefronts on PC.
It's crazy, man. I don't know what I'm going to do with this Black Ops 4 and Forza Horizon.

Btw, I can't wait for next weeks Blops update. The new character is prime for trolling, and those new skins actually look good.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Can anyone please tell me if this RAM is compatible with my motherboard (Asus Sabretooth X58)? https://www.newegg.com/global/in-en/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4YU2AB9539

I'm looking to upgrade from a 6GB triple channel kit so can I just plug this in and play?

Well, it isn't on the official compatibility list, but said list hasn't been updated since 2010, and, really, desktop DDR3 RAM is desktop DDR3 RAM. The odds of an incompatibility are infinitesimal.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
Can anyone please tell me if this RAM is compatible with my motherboard (Asus Sabretooth X58)? https://www.newegg.com/global/in-en/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4YU2AB9539

I'm looking to upgrade from a 6GB triple channel kit so can I just plug this in and play?
The mobo says: Triple-Channel DDR3 1866/1800/1600/1333/1066 support, which those sticks apparently are.

You can also ask here https://www.resetera.com/threads/the-pc-builders-thread-i-need-a-new-pc-v2.61531/page-112

Xclash

Oct 25, 2017
It's crazy, man. I don't know what I'm going to do with this Black Ops 4 and Forza Horizon.

Btw, I can't wait for next weeks Blops update. The new character is prime for trolling, and those new skins actually look good.

Might finally spend some of my 10k cod points from the super digital deluxe edition on this new patch. I lost quite a bit of motivation after reaching master prestige but I primed and ready to go for the new patch.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
Just finished Sunset Overdrive, great gameplay and a nice a s t h e t i c but the humor fell flat on me more often than not.

zkylon

Oct 25, 2017
what age is your brother?

my little brother is gonna turn five in two months and my dad tried pretty hard to keep him away from tv/videogames. i play super mario run with him from time to time but he gets bored easily anyways, he likes it far more when we all pretend we're mummies or werewolves or whatever and chase each other

honestly been thinking about how to introduce videogames to him as it's something he's not gonna be sheltered from for all of his life, but i don't like how any of these games are designed cos they all seem exploitative as shit

but yeah it's kind of scary how good they are at youtube at like fucking 4 years old

Deleted member 3897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Where do I put the Origin SAVE30 code? Considering DA: I GOTY , Burnout Remastered and ME3 DLC.

I can use the code multiple times, right?

zkylon

Oct 25, 2017
after that dragon age announcement i kind of really want to play dragon age inquisition now

like people told me it was bad a while ago and i kind of believed them but i duno....

Joe Spangle

Nov 1, 2017

my little brother is gonna turn five in two months and my dad tried pretty hard to keep him away from tv/videogames. i play super mario run with him from time to time but he gets bored easily anyways, he likes it far more when we all pretend we're mummies or werewolves or whatever and chase each other

honestly been thinking about how to introduce videogames to him as it's something he's not gonna be sheltered from for all of his life, but i don't like how any of these games are designed cos they all seem exploitative as shit

but yeah it's kind of scary how good they are at youtube at like fucking 4 years old

It is difficult with the younglings. Ive got some small nieces and found that my little mini SNES was a good option for just a bit of old school gaming fun. They liked Mario Kart (mostly driving off track and being silly) and strangely they liked Street Fighter as i taught them some of the special moves which when they could do them they found hilarious.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
after that dragon age announcement i kind of really want to play dragon age inquisition now

like people told me it was bad a while ago and i kind of believed them but i duno....
It's a mmo with some ok writing when it comes to certain chars but that's about it. The idea they wanted to explore is a good one but they don't have the writing chops to pull it off.

Firewithin

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Orange County

unless hes prone to lose stuff a lot, maybe try and find a cheap refurb handheld or something?

Sid

Banned
Mar 28, 2018
Well, it isn't on the official compatibility list, but said list hasn't been updated since 2010, and, really, desktop DDR3 RAM is desktop DDR3 RAM. The odds of an incompatibility are infinitesimal.
You should be fine. Are you intending on having this alongside your current RAM or replacing it with this? Usually a good idea not to mix kits.
The mobo says: Triple-Channel DDR3 1866/1800/1600/1333/1066 support, which those sticks apparently are.

You can also ask here https://www.resetera.com/threads/the-pc-builders-thread-i-need-a-new-pc-v2.61531/page-112
Thx, I'm looking to replace my current RAM kit with this, I just need to plug this in the motherboard and it should be good to go, no need to change any settings right?

Status
Not open for further replies.