• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What are your plans for Christmas?

• Family

Votes: 572 49.6%
  • Games

Votes: 681 59.0%
  • Beer

Votes: 273 23.7%
  • Anime

Votes: 259 22.4%
  • Complaining on the internet

Votes: 507 43.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Parsnip

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
So as I continue to setup a massive local library and check out games that would not run well on my older laptop, few questions:

1. How many games do you all keep downloaded locally at once?

2. Going try Assasin Creed Rogue, never hear anyone talk about it. Any thoughts on it? Anything to know about the PC port in particular? Paging JaseC

Thanks !
I have 17 games installed and that's too many and I'm actively trying to finish some stuff before starting anything new.

As for AC Rogue, I think it's one of the most uninspired AC games. There's still fun to be had there and it's perfectly functional, but boy they didn't really bring anything new to the formula there, aside from the story bits. And even that was slightly cribbed from AC3.
A few friends of mine love it to death though because of they can't get enough of the boat stuff.
But I think it has one of most satisfying endings to an AC story.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
I only have 7 or 8 games installed right now, but that's because it's a new system and I made the conscious decision not to migrate my installed library.
Otherwise it just fills up, on my previous PC I had ~2.5 TB of games installed (no idea how much that is in titles). I moved demanding games I actively play to a library on my SSD and kept everything else on a HDD.

This time around, I'm trying just using a SSD and actually uninstalling games I've completed. We'll see how it goes.

Deleted member 1759

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Europe
This time around, I'm trying just using a SSD and actually uninstalling games I've completed. We'll see how it goes.
It's some kind of a ritual for me when I finish a game. Set its category to Completed (Steam) and then uninstall it :D

And I have about 50 games installed at the moment. I often feel like playing a game, so I install it and then suddenly lose interest in it without even starting it...

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
Several hundred games installed, I only uninstall what I've 100% completed and aren't going to play again. Well, and stuff I actively dislike, but that very rarely happens.

Reader

Oct 27, 2017
I have finished Darksiders 2. It was a good game that greatly improved everything except the story from the first game. If you were thinking of playing it, I recommend a playthrough. Now to begin the latest installment :D!

ezodagrom

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
I tend to keep my games installed even after I finish them for as long as I have enough space for them (using a 1.8TB SSD dedicated just towards game), though whenever I need to format my PC/reinstall windows, I also tend to clean up my games drive just for the sake of a fresh start (which I did almost a couple months ago, when I upgraded my CPU).

Arulan

Oct 25, 2017
When I built this PC I decided I would only use SSDs from now on. I don't have a lot of games installed at the moment, due to it being a recent install (abandoned Windows for Debian), but I'll uninstall games every once in a while if I'm done with it.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So as I continue to setup a massive local library and check out games that would not run well on my older laptop, few questions:

2. Going try Assasin Creed Rogue, never hear anyone talk about it. Any thoughts on it? Anything to know about the PC port in particular? Paging JaseC

Thanks !
1. As many as need be until my hard drive complains that it has no space for anything more. Sometimes I have delusions about coming back to 100% the achievements on this or that game and it ends up taking up drive space for years, untouched. Lookin at you, Arkham Knight.

2. I don't recall having any problems with the port. I found the premise sort of interesting, but the story ultimately didn't leave a huge impression upon me. I think the experience benefits somewhat from having played AC3, as it casts the unfolding events of Rogue in an interesting light.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
Hey man, Activision cares about PC now. So much so, they seemly pushed aside their excellent PC team for an external dev. I have a 1060 6gb and I get good frames, but the game doesn't feel as smooth as a COD should. I had to lower a bunch of settings, like, a ton of 'em, to get it feeling right.

Even on low my game freezes mid match for like seconds on end, it's nuts

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US

Thanks !
1. I have over 150 games installed between Steam, and GoG. Plus Diablo 3 from Battle.Net, and a few games from Origin (ME trilogy, DAO, DAI) and a smattering of DRM free games from various places. I got couple 1TB SSDs and a 6TB HD RAID-1. Plus a USB 3.1 8TB External which is mainly for local backups and a few other things. So most games sit on SSDs, some are offloaded to spinning disk. Everything is backed up to local USB and to my NAS box (in reality just Win Server 2016 with bunch of drives in storage spaces).

In reality I could probably get away with 10-15 games easily since I got a fast fiber connection now, but storage is fairly cheap, so why not.

2. Nope, never tried. Loved AC2, Origins and Odyssey now. 4 was alright.

matimeo

UI/UX Game Industry Veteran
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Thanks everyone for replies!

I'm using external SSDs for storage, and realizing a big barrier to me and my PC library was just availability.

So having my favorites and games I'm playing thru ready to go is a huge asset for me. It is pretty fun seeing how low I had to set graphics before just to play things. So resetting graphics and getting past tutorials for games I played on console is my immediate goal.

I used to delete things but since Comcast has rolled out monthly download limits in my area so I see no reason to delete huge games I will most likely go back to. So far biggest shock was 72 gb for Stars Wars Battlefront 2. I just don't remember it being that big on console but this is post many content updates. But still shocking lol.

I figured Rogue must be pretty much just ok. I have my favorite Assasin Creed games downloaded and ready to go so figured I would try ones I've never tried.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Apparently Ubisoft reducing the prices of their game on the Uplay store is moneyhatting as its an unfair financial incentive.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia

Thanks !
I usually only keep around 5 Steam games installed at a time, 10 at most if I include other launchers/MMOs. I always uninstall an already finished single player game from my PC. The rest are usually GaaS or games that I can go back anytime, like Fallout 4, The Division, Monster Hunter World, etc.

Mr. Tibbs

Oct 27, 2017
Early Christmas present in the form of 21 new maps for Arcane Dimensions!
Dt3GOMDWwAE00yA.jpg

Trailer:

Download here:

WBacon

Capcom USA
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
California
My goals for the holiday:
- Spend lots of time with the kids
- Get long overdue physical exam. I've been avoiding it for 3 years
- Finish DQ11 on Steam
- Get my son off of Fortnite and get em hooked on MHW (he also enjoys MH on handhelds)

Adnor

Oct 25, 2017
I finally found this image that perfectly captures any conversation about Alpha Protocol:

f3JAN.png

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia

Rogue is almost literally Black Flag transplanted into a North Atlantic setting. If you liked Black Flag, you'll like Rogue. The PC port itself is fine. It's capped at 60fps but doesn't need much to get there:

acr_1920.jpg

acr_proz.jpg

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
My goals for the holiday:
- Spend lots of time with the kids
- Get long overdue physical exam. I've been avoiding it for 3 years
- Finish DQ11 on Steam
- Get my son off of Fortnite and get em hooked on MHW (he also enjoys MH on handhelds)
- Port God Hand to PC
Hey it looks like you missed something. It's ok, I fixed it for you.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Played a bit of FFIV on DS - its amazing how broken the augment system is and the difficulty spike is quite something, it even made some bosses hilariously easy.

Just finished all of the first wave of robot masters in Mega man 3 - now I got 4 shadow robot masters (?) that I gotta play against.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
Alpha Protocol is an absolutely miserable game to actually play despite the incredible branching and was so when it came out so these days it's even a harder sell.

People with interest in actual choice and consequence should give it a go but it's a really bad game otherwise.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017

Thanks !

I have 1 game always installed and that is Sonic & All Stars Racing because one they I will finish 5 remaining achievements! But usually I delete games that I don't intend to do 100% after I am done with story. Or if I own Season Pass they stay on my HDD until all DLCs are out. Currently I have Witcher 3 still on my SSD (because I don't want to setup mods again and I have yet to finish Blood & Wine), Sunset Overdrive, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Sonic & All Stars Racing and maybe 2 more games. I don't see the point keeping games on my disks when I have good download speed (100Mbps) and no caps.

Adnor

Oct 25, 2017
Alpha Protocol is an absolutely miserable game to actually play despite the incredible branching and was so when it came out so these days it's even a harder sell.

People with interest in actual choice and consequence should give it a go but it's a really bad game otherwise.
We are now enemies.

(Nah, I get you, I still love the game though)

zkylon

Oct 25, 2017

i love alpha protocol but i have to agree, and i think its cutscenes aged pretty poorly too

it is the absolute best at the branching stuff tho, but it demands a fair amount of effort on part of the player to enjoy it

edit: i've been thinking about alpha protocol after watching giantbomb play through mass effect 1, which also feels like it aged like poop. something about this first wave of "cinematic rpgs" that just looks too rooted on old talking heads and looks super weird to me now haha

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia

Truth. I tried to replay it a couple years ago, but couldn't deal with the janks and dropped it. Visually and mechanically, the game doesn't age well at all. But it's indeed a fantastic RPG.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Another thing that's bad about Alpha Protocol but no one talks about is the story just ends. All those multiple branch comes into play at one point, and then...nothing.
Just queue ending credit. I would've recommend the game alot if it got a sequel that picks up your choices.

Status
Not open for further replies.