• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What are your plans for Christmas?

• Family

Votes: 572 49.6%
  • Games

Votes: 681 59.0%
  • Beer

Votes: 273 23.7%
  • Anime

Votes: 259 22.4%
  • Complaining on the internet

Votes: 507 43.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
How is the Xbone pad (via Bluetooth) on PC?
It's fine. Don't buy the old model since that one doesn't have BT support.

You want the one that looks like the bottom image.

Edit: Uh, I can't embed the image so here's a link.
qRYYrA9.png

qRYYrA9.png

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How do I get my PC to find my Steam games when I type their name into my Win 10 start bar. It's the one thing I have found that other launchers seem to do better is that I can start games much easier with them. Is it a folders thing?

Well, Uplay seems bad about it too. But I can launch Origin, Battlenet, Epic, Twitch, Galaxy games via this method easily.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
How do I get my PC to find my Steam games when I type their name into my Win 10 start bar. It's the one thing I have found that other launchers seem to do better is that I can start games much easier with them. Is it a folders thing?

Well, Uplay seems bad about it too. But I can launch Origin, Battlenet, Epic, Twitch, Galaxy games via this method easily.
You can right click on a game and choose the option to create a desktop shortcut, then stick the shortcut in C:/ProgramData/Microsoft/Windows/Start Menu.

Not very convenient, but it should work. I think there's also and option to do this autonatically when first installing a game.

Arulan

Oct 25, 2017

You probably have to re-build your search index, and make sure to include the directories your library is in. The option is somewhere in Control Panel -> Indexing Options.

Parsnip

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
I'm not seeing this image.
Is anyone else having trouble with some imgur images again? Is it a https problem like it was last time?

For anyone interested, Valve updated their trademark:
Rj8jAAY.jpg

As a wild guess, I was thinking this refers to refractive indexes and thus lenses. So may be they are going to put out some sort of lens stuff or maybe even eye tracking stuff. But - that doesn't quite match up with the goods and services in each listing

Knurek

Oct 26, 2017
yes, take to twitter to lambast devs because their games are not on your store of preference, that isnt crazy and creepy at all.
What else can I do though, to let them know I'm not happy with them accepting moneyhats practices in PC space?
If I could refund their games I have on Steam, I'd do so. But they are quite old and well past refund grace period, so really...

admataY

Oct 25, 2017
User warned: trolling
Two weeks ago :

Some prominent indie devs : we are unhappy with the way Valve handling things

Some people here : ( smugly ) what ya gonna do, leave steam for another service HAHAH

REcord scratch! two weeks later, this thread :

9TCHLhk.jpg

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
In other very relevant issues:
God damn, that huge low-res animated store banner for CS:GO is so ugly. It's such an eyesore everytime I open the site.
And it doesn't even scale at all on mobile.

When will it go away?

Knurek

Oct 26, 2017
Two weeks ago :

Some people here : ( smugly ) what ya gonna do, leave steam for another service HAHAH

9TCHLhk.jpg
It's almost like the Discord store fiasco and Thronebreaker exclusivity flop didn't happen to these folks.

admataY

Oct 25, 2017
It's almost like the Discord store fiasco and Thronebreaker exclusivity flop didn't happen to these folks.
Again ,you assume lack of knowladge to people for refusing to get mad over computer games .
Wanna know how i stay chill ? Cause this is a problem that solves itself. If Epic's store sucks, people wont use it and it will either get good or get abandoned . The stage is theirs to prove they can provide good service, and either they will or they wont - no use getting mad about it .

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Two weeks ago :

9TCHLhk.jpg
It's really just about earning trust, and providing a good service to me. I don't care about what woes indie devs really have with the store, that's between them and Valve, and there are special channels for that.
The Epic Store, in every possible regard, seems like a downgrade to me, and I don't trust Epic to keep this thing alive if it becomes a huge flop, and the Fortnite money well runs dry one day.
So, I am not buying a single game from there. Maybe they will manage to improve, and after enough time earn some trust as a good actor in this space.

As for reasonable criticisms for how Valve is handling the Steam Store/Client and other things, I really doubt this whole thing will really have any affect on Valve. This won't put them under financial stress (lol, the revenue from all those games leaving for Epic probably doesn't even account for what Steam makes in a day), nor is there anything to learn from how Epic is handling things. This is just a fad that will pace by, and most if not all those games will be on Steam eventually.

So I agree with Wuvcraft, and hope this silliness just blows over soon enough. I'm sure the next Nintendo Direct will distract Era soon enough.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
Again ,you assume lack of knowladge to people for refusing to get mad over computer games .
Wanna know how i stay chill ? Cause this is a problem that solves itself. If Epic's store sucks, people wont use it and it will either get good or get abandoned . The stage is theirs to prove they can provide good service, and either they will or they wont - no use getting mad about it .

The only issue I have is that - if a game is Epic Store exclusive indefinitely - then it's undoubtedly bad for the long-term health of the industry and players. If a company as large as MS can shutter GFWL and screw over owners of everything from Viva Pinata and Shadowrun to Grand Theft Auto IV, then anything can happen.

Timed exclusives suck, and the lack of transparency in communication sucks even harder, but they're just short-term problems. I would hate to rely on a cracked exe of Satisfactory in 10 year's time, because all involved were too damn arrogant to allow its release elsewhere - like Viva Pinata and Shadowrun, for example.

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
Oh man, the visual novel community thread is so quite. I posted there on Tuesday and there is still no new reply in that thread. The genre is even more niche than I imagined.

I don't think visual novels are niche at all, just look how many are on Steam. :) The problem is Era. The populace here skews very heavily AAA block buster stuff try as they might to downplay it. It's true. Every VN OT we ever had barely makes a few pages even when the VN's come to consoles.

The other problem is a stigma. VN's have anime aesthetics and foriegn sensibilities. I love VN's but I would never talk about them here on Era tbh. Just like with my GuP OT, people here are much too quick to assume the worst and jump to conclusions.

I've been called a Nazi and a wehraboo (which i had to google since i never heard it before until i was called it here on Era) because I made that Girls und Panzer OT, and because I sometimes post memes from that show. I can't think of a single other place on the internet where that would happen but here and old gaf.

What else can I do though, to let them know I'm not happy with them accepting moneyhats practices in PC space?
If I could refund their games I have on Steam, I'd do so. But they are quite old and well past refund grace period, so really...

I think your fine. It's ridiculous that everyone wants to protect the devs all the time from all possible criticism. If they won't let you leave a review or comment what are else are you supposed to do? As long as your not threatening with violence, I fail to see the issue personally.

Also don't agree with the vilification of review bombing. Yes, sometimes it is used by shitlords to do bad things. But in general it's more often used as a last resort consumer movement to effect a change or generate a corporate response.

I love R6Siege, but I'm glad people review bombed it to keep Chinese government censorship out of the global version.

Jadax

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
People will always complain about Steam. Epic store is shit right now (especially for one of the many non-supported currencies).

I don't care either way, I'll buy games where they're the cheapest for me.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
I mean this whole thing is pushed as great way for indies to get exposure and more revenue. But then they announced games from developers who really didn't need any more exposure or revenue. Team Meat is obvious example. Extremely popular and well known developer with game that sold tons of copies. Coffee Stain Studios that got acquired by THQ Nordic, Annapurna Interactive is publisher not struggling indie developer... If they really wanted to promote indies they would fund development of struggling studios and developers and promote them. But so far I don't see that.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
I mean this whole thing is pushed as great way for indies to get exposure and more revenue. But then they announced games from developers who really didn't need any more exposure or revenue. Team Meat is obvious example. Extremely popular and well known developer with game that sold tons of copies. Coffee Stain Studios that got acquired by THQ Nordic, Annapurna Interactive is publisher not struggling indie developer... If they really wanted to promote indies they would fund development of struggling studios and developers and promote them. But so far I don't see that.
The 88% is a pretty great idea for Epic. Their store clearly has less to offer than Steam, so it sounds fairer for devs to be on there, and it gets them lots of support by the eternal crowd that thinks 30% is unfair and whatnot. It even allows them to do lots of shady moneyhatting, and still have support from a lot of gamers (non-PC ones, I assume, but hey, good PR is good PR).
I just don't see this helping make their store a success in the long run. The hype won't be around forever, and if even these big indie devs fail to make good sales there, I really doubt other devs will be willing to have long exclusivity periods, unless Epic is really paying them a huge amount to justify that, essentially co-funding their development (which I would honestly be more supportive of).

ezodagrom

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
The Epic Store, some people like to talk about the exposure that will bring to indie devs due to Fortnite, but, I have a feeling that isn't gonna go as well as they think, the Fortnite exposure sure didn't help Epic's own other games (such as UT ending development, and that's a free to play game too).

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
yes, take to twitter to lambast devs because their games are not on your store of preference, that isnt crazy and creepy at all.
Yeah how dare someone provide feedback about something to a *checks notes* twitter account for a game, meant to market and interact directly with the fans and get feedback 🤔

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah how dare someone provide feedback about something to a *checks notes* twitter account for a game, meant to market and interact directly with the fans and get feedback 🤔

People are just being silly now. After all, Reddit and Discord are the places to discuss Epic Store games. Everywhere else is just toxic.

admataY

Oct 25, 2017
Do you think the small plane i was going to charter to skywrite " Realease A Kingdom O'magic remaster " over SCI interactive Hq was a bit much ? Maybe there are better ways to communicate with them .

Deleted member 3700

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think visual novels are niche at all, just look how many are on Steam. :) The problem is Era. The populace here skews very heavily AAA block buster stuff try as they might to downplay it. It's true. Every VN OT we ever had barely makes a few pages even when the VN's come to consoles.

The other problem is a stigma. VN's have anime aesthetics and foriegn sensibilities. I love VN's but I would never talk about them here on Era tbh. Just like with my GuP OT, people here are much too quick to assume the worst and jump to conclusions.

I've been called a Nazi and a wehraboo (which i had to google since i never heard it before until i was called it here on Era) because I made that Girls und Panzer OT, and because I sometimes post memes from that show. I can't think of a single other place on the internet where that would happen but here and old gaf.
What, calling you Nazi for enjoying GuP is outrageous. It is crazy that many posters here are called "progressive" but do not shy away from labeling other people according to their own values. I have seen people who enjoy JP anime aesthetics are called pedophiles on here, and I was also called sexist for loving Xenoblade 2 when I always think men and women should be treated equally. But calling you Nazi is on another level. They are fucking murderers, not ones who like military stuff or anime about tanks as a sport.

Back to the VN topic. Yeah, it does make sense. No wonder the community thread is quiet. The other place I visit is r/visualnovels. Maybe I should just host discussions there rather than on Era.

BTW, can you read Japanese? Some interesting VN titles are releasing lately, such as Amazing Grace (great reception from Japanese players) and Kotonoha Maichiru Natsu no Koe (this is the one I have mentioned in the VN thread). I will probably try to get the former as soon as possible while buy the latter on Day 1 (if I can find a copy on Mandarake). I would recommend you checking them out. :)

Edit: grammar

Last edited:

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
What, calling you Nazi for enjoying GuP is outrageous. It is crazy that many posters here are called "progressive" but do not shine away from labeling other people according to their own values. I have seen people who enjoy JP anime aesthetics are called pedophiles on here, and I was also called sexist for loving Xenoblade 2 when I always think men and women should be treated equally. But calling you Nazi is on another level. They are fucking murderers, not ones who like military stuff or anime about tanks as a sport.

Back to the VN topic. Yeah, it does make sense. No wonder the community thread is quiet. The other place I visit is r/visualnovels. Maybe I should just host discussions there rather than on Era.

BTW, can you read Japanese? Some interesting VN titles are releasing lately, such as Amazing Grace (great reception from Japanese players) and Kotonoha Maichiru Natsu no Koe (this is the one I have mentioned in the VN thread). I will probably try to get the former as soon as possible while buy the latter on Day 1 (if I can find a copy on Mandarake). I would recommend you checking them out. :)

To be fair a lot of anime-fans are seriously problematic. I have been in the scene for over 20 years, worked for a few years for an anime publisher (Red Planet) on InuYasha and went to conventions.

A lot of fans inside the scene though are bad. During the Maomao debacle people defended the developer of a game whose hentai scenes are "loli catgirl rape", who said that an obvious loli character looks adult and if the disclaimer says she is 18, she is.

You have GG-like sites like Sankakucomplex crying about "SJWs in muh anime". You have "weeabooism".

Eila

Oct 27, 2017
Two weeks ago :

9TCHLhk.jpg
Ah yes, indie darlings Epic games (backed by a giant company Tencent). Far bigger than valve were when they released steam.
By the way, have they explained their curation system? Will they allow all games or what? Do they want exclusivity from indies?

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
Ah yes, indie darlings Epic games (backed by a giant company Tencent). Far bigger than valve were when they released steam.
By the way, have they explained their curation system? Will they allow all games or what? Do they want exclusivity from indies?

Timed exclusives and some dev said they cant namedrop steam, but can say "it comes to other launchers in the future", just cant say its coming to Steam (even if it will).

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Edit: NVM. Had lingering parts from a previous installation on this computer.

Gonna try the Epic Store client now, and my first impression is that I can't change the installation path for it. That can't be right, can it?

Deleted member 3700

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair a lot of anime-fans are seriously problematic. I have been in the scene for over 20 years, worked for a few years for an anime publisher (Red Planet) on InuYasha and went to conventions.

A lot of fans inside the scene though are bad. During the Maomao debacle people defended the developer of a game whose hentai scenes are "loli catgirl rape", who said that an obvious loli character looks adult and if the disclaimer says she is 18, she is.

You have GG-like sites like Sankakucomplex crying about "SJWs in muh anime". You have "weeabooism".
There are always bad apples in a group, no matter anime fans or gamers. Labeling one just due to enjoying anime is not fair at all.

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Well, installed the Epic Store launcher and saw that I apparently had Shadow Complex since before. Had completely forgotten about that, one of the joys of with multiple store fronts.

Now to try and make the client not display prices in the Ukrainan currency, for me here in Sweden.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Well, installed the Epic Store launcher and saw that I apparently had Shadow Complex since before. Had completely forgotten about that, one of the joys of with multiple store fronts.

Now to try and make the client not display prices in the Ukrainan currency, for me here in Sweden.
Weird it shows me euro in Sweden. Maybe your account settings?

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium

People are shitting on these devs because they are taking part in establishing paid storefront exclusivity on pc. This will not benefit pc gaming in the long run. If other storefronts start doing this as well, it's gonna be a huge mess.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017

What's the difference between expressing support or admiration to them on Twitter and expressing criticism? I feel like if you like the former you should be ready for the latter. If a developer uses a Twitter account strictly for personal matters it should hands off to everyone else but if they use it to talk about and promote their game I don't see anything wrong with criticizing their decisions through that same medium.

Deleted member 3897

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just want to say that with all these launcher fuckery going on, Ubi is pretty great. You can buy their games on multiple launchers (Steam, Origin, Uplay), they keep addign features to their Steam versions, the optimization is getting better and despite that you need UPlay, I really like the UPlay overlay, especially for challenges which has been fantastic for me in Six Siege.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
Just want to say that with all these launcher fuckery going on, Ubi is pretty great. You can buy their games on multiple launchers (Steam, Origin, Uplay), they keep addign features to their Steam versions, the optimization is getting better and despite that you need UPlay, I really like the UPlay overlay, especially for challenges which has been fantastic for me in Six Siege.

Yeah, if Ubisoft got into third party game selling on Uplay it would actually be a pretty good competitor to Steam. They could convince pubs to sell Uplay keys instead of (or as well as) Steam keys, even.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
Nappael don't let it get you down half the people you talk to can't even make a coherent argument, it's sad to watch.

I've been called a Nazi and a wehraboo (which i had to google since i never heard it before until i was called it here on Era) because I made that Girls und Panzer OT, and because I sometimes post memes from that show.
lmao what the fuck, that's just sad.

It is crazy that many posters here are called "progressive"
Era isn't nearly as progressive as the members here and the general public likes to portray it. There is staff and members who genuinely are but most users don't care and "just want to talk about videogames". Meanwhile you have shitlib policies like "not being allowed to laugh at the deaths of war criminals".

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Two weeks ago :

9TCHLhk.jpg

Ah another console warrior waltzing into a thread they never use to take about services and platform they never use, with such a poor position they have to present such a facetious playground style fake "quote" of a group of people he/she despises. How's that life going for you?

Do you really think people are as immature, childish and lifeless as you that they operate on pure fanboyism like you, or that they MAY CHOOSE not to support a SUP PAR service and product that has no indication of improving, or offering the most basic needed features users are expecting or inconveniencing them?

The majority of people will support any service that actually provides them with what they need, and you blatantly see that with the successes of other PC ecosystems. Steam remains one of the best because lots of people like it and prefer it. Steam is not even the biggest ecosystem on PC in the first place

Last edited:

admataY

Oct 25, 2017
This fanboyism of yours is a poison of the mind .
I have been playing exclusively on the PC for 3 decades, building my own PC for two decades , and was active in both steam threads and the discord.
My opinion is just as valid and reasoned as any one elses, and i do not need to prove or justify myself for the crime of insufficient cultish devotion to Valve.
Life is going pretty sweet for me, most of my games are on steam, but a bunch are on GoG, Uplay and Origins - whichever gave me the best price. And Epic will get their chance to get my buisness or not , depends on what they offer and on what price .
Not gonna lie though, free Subnautica is a good sell .

Last edited:

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
This fanboyismof yours is a poison of the mind .
I have been playing exclusively on the PC for 3 decades, building my own PC for two decades , and was active in both steam threads and the discord.
My opinion is just as valid and reasoned as any one elses, and i do not need to prove or justify myself for the crime of insufficient cultish devotion to Valve.
Life is going pretty sweet for me, most of my games are on steam, but a bunch are on GoG, Uplay and Origins - whichever gave me the best price. And Epic will get their chance to get my buisness or not , depends on what they offer and on what price .
Yes cause a drive by post is the best way to create a good argument, not a way to just troll.

I think pc era posters have explained enough times the issues we have both with the store functionality (which is subpar) and with the moneyhat practice that epic did, andyour post doesnt even try to explain our position and rather treats us like children.

Another thing I want to say is if the store is a success, it will only be for certain indie developers that are allowed inside. Heck, the store only features right now games from big indies that wouldnt require the free advertisement, none of the smaller or medium developer who would deserve the spot more.

Going back to a fully curated store would be a big wake up to most indie developers who suddenly realize the important stuff is not your game but rather who you know (to certain lvl).

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever

Yup. I really like how Ubi does it. Siege especially is compatible with three overlays at the same time (discord, steam, uplay) with no downside to the user. They do trading cards, and kinda wiggle back and forth on achievements but whatever. I really hope they don't decide to split from Steam someday as well, but at the very least, uplay is much more feature rich than many other """""competitors."""""

What, calling you Nazi for enjoying GuP is outrageous. It is crazy that many posters here are called "progressive" but do not shine away from labeling other people according to their own values. I have seen people who enjoy JP anime aesthetics are called pedophiles on here, and I was also called sexist for loving Xenoblade 2 when I always think men and women should be treated equally. But calling you Nazi is on another level. They are fucking murderers, not ones who like military stuff or anime about tanks as a sport.

If I keep a Kanji dictionary on hand I can and have wiggled my way through many an untranslated VN. I haven't heard about the ones you mentioned cuz usually the stuff I'm looking for is from Innocent Grey and Nitro+. I really like the dark/edgy style of stories they write and artwork.

NIS has some surprisingly good VN's too, though their mostly console exclusive and never come west. I enjoyed Shin Hayarigami, and Missing Parts the Tantei Stories.

Older stuff like Eve Burst Error, Tsukihime, Policenauts.

I think detective stories/VN's are my favorite. Kara No Shoujo is always in my mind when it comes to recommending VN's. Great detective work, lovely soundtrack, beautiful visuals.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
This fanboyism of yours is a poison of the mind .

So let's get this straight - you came in here with a blatantly trolling sweeping generalisation in here that doesnt present any argument.... then go on to suggest exactly what people here already said despite your sweeping statement....

People are fine with Uplay. Some prefer direct uplay usage, others prefer the Steam variant, some like gog and origin others don't.
Almost no one is saying "no Steam, no buy" without a justifiable reason of their own. I think what's been great about the arguments in here and the regular Steam / PC users on era is that they all have similar concerns and arguments for while they will hold off for now / are not keen on the moneyhat practice where it isnt offering a customer benefit yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.