• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK

98tT02E.png

Aliens: Fireteam Elite - Uzzy - Out August 24th

From new developers Cold Iron Studios comes a co-operative third person shooter set, quite unsurprisingly, in the Aliens universe. As one of three battle hardened marines, you must fight your way through hordes of an ever evolving xenomorph threat.

Ambition: A Minuet in Power - Uzzy - Out August 18th

This romantic visual novel sees you play as a woman of fashion in Paris, 1789, navigating the complexities of the Parisian social scene and striving for status and maybe even true love. Mingle with the rich and powerful, exchange in court gossip, woo the hearts of many and learn their secrets. Just don't lose your head.

Age of Empires III: DE - The African Royals - Uzzy - Out August 2nd

Adding two new civilisations to Age of Empires III, Ethopia and the Hausa, complete with unique units and technologies (Gatling Camel, anyone?) as well as three themed historical battles, including the Battle the Three Kings.

Age of Empires II: DE - Dawn of the Dukes - Mentalist - Out August

More Age of Empires II! Two new civilizations, the Poles and the Bohemians, and bonus campaign for the Lithuanians, covering the landmark Battle of Tannenberg (Grunwald) among other moments. Delve into birth of the Polish-Lithuanian Personal Union, the precursor to the great Commonwealth, and relive the first continental Reformation during the Hussite Wars. This is obviously just more of the tried and true Age of Kings gameplay, but with Hussite Wars campaign being my biggest dream for the game, it's amazing to see it realized.

Carrier Command 2 - Uzzy - Out August 10th

The spiritual successor to the classic 80's game, Carrier Command 2 is an RTS that puts in you in command of a futuristic robotic carrier and it's arsenal of weaponry, aircraft and amphibious units, setting out to conquer a series of islands. Using the carrier's intel gathering packages, you must learn where the enemy is present and use the carrier's resources to strike at them, driving them from the islands to exploit their resources for further missions.

City of Gangsters - Uzzy - Out August 9th

The arrival of prohibition has opened up a space in the city's economy, a highly profitable one for those willing to get their hands dirty, and it's your job to fill it, getting rich by keeping the liquor flowing. Build your distilleries, distribution networks and speakeasies, bribe police to look the other way and assemble your own crew to defend your empire from rivals.. and take the fight to them. The city is yours for the taking.

Death Trash - Uzzy - Out in Early Access August 5th

From indie developers Crafting Legends, Death Trash is a post-apocalyptic role-playing game where cosmic horrors crave humanity but meet punks with shotguns. Customise your punk using a variety of skills, and approach the wasteland your way, refusing to kill anyone, or smashing them in the face with hammers.

Final Fantasy IV - Uzzy - Out August 19th

The original FINAL FANTASY IV comes to life with completely new graphics and audio! A remodelled 2D take on the fourth game in the world-renowned FINAL FANTASY series! Enjoy the timeless story told through charming retro graphics.

Fire Tonight - Uzzy - Out August 12th

A narrative driven point and click game, Fire Tonight sees two lovers separated by a city on fire. As Maya, you must navigate the flames and the police barricades by car, train and rollerskate, trying to make it back home, while Devin waits back at the apartment reminiscing about the time spent together.

Glitchpunk - Uzzy - Out in Early Access August 11th

As a glitching android, you're able to go against your programming. Which you do by taking down the tyrannical governments running the dystopian nightmare of neon slick streets and megacorp skyscrapers. Select from an arsenal of weaponry and stolen cars, driving around the four different urban environments to take out gang leaders, corporate agents and whatever passes for the law as synthwave tunes blast out from the radio. Featuring a top-down perspective reminiscent of certain classics, this is Cyberpunk meets Grand Theft Auto. Again.

Grime - Mentalist - Out August 2nd

An intriguing metroidvania with soulslike, stamina-based combat, where the protagonist is a sentient black hole, exploring a world inspired by Beksinski- meaning, a lot of organic biopunk weirdness. There`s a decent variety of weapons with special abilities, and RPG systems and character progression. The demo was pretty great, and the setting feels refreshingly strange.

HUMANKIND - Uzzy - Out August 17th

Amplitude Studios have made a number of excellent 4X games in recent years, including Endless Legend and Endless Space 2. But while those were set in their quite inspired sci-fi universe 'Endless', for their latest game they've stepped up their ambition and look to be taking aim at the grand daddy of all 4X games. No, not Master of Orion 2, but Civilization itself. And when you come at the king, you best not miss. Especially when he's as nice as Sid Meier.

HUMANKIND promises to let you rewrite the entire narrative of human history with each playthrough, which is a really quite bold claim, but from the demo they're at least taking a swipe at it. Unlike Civilization, you start as a band of hunter gatherers, exploring the world until you decide to settle, then pick from one of multiple cultures to adopt through each age. So far, two big complaints against the nature of Civilization struck down, an ahistorical start and changing civilisations. The end game is drastically different from Civilization too, with victory points, called Fame, accumulated throughout the game for your deeds and actions right from the very beginning of your tribe. There's tactical battles, one city per area (which can be expanded out to claim other areas should you wish) along with a host of other changes to the Civilization formula. Amplitude Studios have already proved their worth as fantastic 4X developers in the past, so this is looking to be something special.

King's Bounty II - Uzzy - Out August 24th

A sequel to the King's Bounty series sees the return of the turn based RPG. Build an army, assemble your squad and help save the world of Nostria.

Lamentum - Mentalist - Out August 31st

A top-down Resident Evil set in a 19th century New England mansion where the occult Lovecraftian horrors are breaking through. Play as a young aristocrat who has enlisted the assistance of an eccentric occultist to save his dying wife, but now wakes up with amnesia in a mansion overrun by horrors. Featuring classic Resident Evil gameplay such as inventory management, save rooms, and puzzles that involve examining and manipulating objects in your inventory for clues, as well as choosing when to fight and when to avoid the cosmic horrors, all done in a wonderful 2d pixel art style, with tight corridors that remind me of my favourite top-down game, `Blood Omen". Steam demo is still available, so check this one out!

Lawn Mower Simulator - Oinone - Out August 10th

Everyone knows about Rule 34, but people talk barely about Rule 35: If it exists, there is a simulator of it.
Nothing is better than mowing your lawn at 6 AM on a Sunday morning, and now you can do so no matter the weather and without your neighbours wanting to kill you.
A whole British town with impressive estates waits to be mowed by you. Choose the lawnmower of your favourite real life brand, check the terrain to adjust your tools right and mow your company to the top!
There is a demo available, if you want to test the green beforehand. So what are you waiting for? This grass won't cut itself.

Madden NFL 22 - Uzzy - Out August 21st

The long running 'American Football' series returns with it's new yearly edition, featuring the likes of Tomb Raidy and Patrick Mahomes throwing footballs around. At least the Americans can win this one right?

Mortal Shell - Uzzy - Out August 18th on Steam

A deep action souls-like RPG that tests your sanity and resilience in a shattered world. Your adversaries spare no mercy, with survival demanding superior awareness, precision, and instincts. Possess lost warriors, track down hidden sanctums of the devout, and face formidable foes. This Steam edition launches with The Virtuous Cycle DLC, which even adds in a Roguelike mode.

NARAKA: BLADEPOINT - Uzzy - Out August 12th

A new entrant into the Battle Royale space, NARAKA: BLADEPOINT aims to stand out from the crowd with it's wuxia inspiration worn proudly on it's sleeve. Featuring a focus on melee combat and vertical arenas you can freely climb with your grappling hook, NARAKA sees you leaping from tree to tree, building to building, clashing blades at the ready.

New World - Uzzy - Out August 31st

Need a new MMO? Why not look at New World, Amazon studios first foray into the field. No moral quandaries there at least.

Shipwrecked on the supernatural island of Aeternum, you'll find endless opportunities to fight, forage, and forge await you among the island's wilderness and ruins. Channel supernatural forces or wield deadly weapons in a classless, real-time combat system, and fight alone, with a small team, or in massed armies for PvE and PvP battles—the choices are all yours. Arm yourself with brutal melee weapons, ranged artillery, or supernatural powers and jump into New World's classless, real-time action combat system.

Psychonauts 2 - Uzzy - Out August 25th

15 years on, the sequel to the much beloved Psychonauts is finally here. Double Fine and Tim Schaffer return to give us the continuation of Razputin's adventures at Psychonaut HQ, where he quickly learns that things are not as they seem. Dive into unique platforming environments to battle the demons in people's minds, resolve their emotional baggage, and ultimately, help them heal. With quirky laughs to stop things getting too heavy.

Recompile - Mentalist - Out August 19th

A 3D Metroidvania that feels like TRON. The protagonist is is an embodiment of a program that`s struggling to avoid deletion in a computer that categorizes it as an intruder. Incorporating 3rd person shooting, puzzle-solving, and platforming exploration, this is another great take on the genre. The eventual ability to chain together jumps and air dashes turns you into a digitized superhero, exploring massive, 3D digitized constructs in ways that games like TRON haven`t really done yet.

Road 96 - Uzzy - Out August 16th

From Digixart, the developers of such titles as Valiant Hearts and 11-11 Memories Retold comes Road 96. Banned by Facebook, this deeply political road trip simulator sees you on the road trying to escape your totalitarian country of Petria. Take one of thousands of routes out, meeting new people each with their own story to tell, dodge the law and authorities, make choices that shape your destiny and those around you as you bid to escape.. and just maybe reach the border.

Tetris Effect: Connected - Uzzy - Out August 18th on Steam

Tetris Effect finally comes to Steam, with an all new multiplayer expansion. Tetris Effect is Tetris like you've never seen it, or heard it, or felt it before—an incredibly addictive, unique, and breathtakingly gorgeous reinvention of one of the most popular puzzle games of all time, from the people who brought you the award-winning Rez Infinite and legendary puzzle game Lumines.

Music, backgrounds, sounds, special effects—everything, down to the Tetriminos themselves, pulse, dance, shimmer, and explode in perfect sync with how you're playing, making any of the game's 30+ stages and 10+ modes something you'll want to experience over and over again.

While it doesn't need VR, from all accounts it's much the superior game with it. Still, nice to have the option.

The Big Con - Uzzy - Out August 31st

A 90s Era Coming of Age comedy featuring a curious and sarcastic high schooler out to do crime? I'm in. Hustle your way across '90s America as a runaway teen con artist. Choose how to make your scratch as you don disguises, pick pockets, and rip people off in this comedic crime-filled adventure. Experience the totally rad '90s in all its plaid and payphone glory! But this isn't a joyride! Ali is on an all-important mission to save her family video store from the nasty loan sharks trying to shut their shop down.

Twelve Minutes - Uzzy - Out August 19th

Developed by Luis Antonio and published by Annapurna Interactive, Twelve Minutes is a click and drag thriller about a man stuck in a time loop, destined to relive the same horrifying twelve minutes over and over again unless he can find a way out. Featuring the voice talents of James McAvoy, Daisy Ridley, and Willem Defoe, Twelve Minutes traps you in the claustrophobic confines of the four walls of your house and the endless recursion of time.

gK65o0a.png

Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri - Uzzy

So OK this is mostly going to be me gushing about the last truly great 4X game. One that came out way back in 1999, and has still to be bettered in all honesty. Will Humankind better it? Well even coming close will be impressive enough, although Alpha Centauri is a very different type of game really. Rather than relying on history as the structure for gameplay, Alpha Centauri sees humanity set out on the colonisation of space, and so must be written wholesale. Which in this case is spectacularly written by Brian Reynolds, telling a sci-fi tale of the remnants of humanity fleeing a dying world, only to fall into petty squabbling over ideology as soon as they arrive on Planet, which they all quickly discover is not the virgin new world they assumed. With each faction splitting off into their own independent state with their own conflicting vision for the future of humanity, you must lead one of them in a clash of ideological supremacy.

And it's here where the writing really pays off. Inspired by a lot of sci fi works, but mostly notably Dune, Red Mars and The Jesus Incident, Brian Reynolds constructed a memorable world of leaders utterly convinced that their ideology was the one true way, showing both the good and bad, with no one side being played as cartoonish villains. Even the religious fanatics get some good points made in their favour. The world and story are explored through the construction of regular buildings and special projects, each accompanied with a bit of text or motion video, many of which are far more memorable and better told than anything that's been delivered since. Not even Sean Bean or Leonard Nimoy could compete! Listening to Colonel Corazon Santiago talking about the benefits of having a children's creche built stays with me. Then you have the world itself, Planet, which as the game develops comes ever more to life, the random attacks of the psychic 'mind worms' soon becoming ever more focused and directed and.. intelligent. Humanities survival depends on co-existence and eventually co-operation with the intelligence inside(?) the Planet itself.

It's a really memorable game, and honestly no amount of gameplay improvements can supplant this one for me. It's a shame that Beyond Earth, despite being so much better in gameplay terms and overall production values and polish, ended up feeling utterly lifeless by comparison. I'll be revisiting it in advance of HUMANKIND, hoping for another leap in 4X gaming.

Colonists landing on Planet this month:

JIfmoDo.png

Outer Wilds - Uzzy

There's a new DLC coming! Seeing that announced made me realise that, hey, I've still not played this masterpiece, even with my wonderful hubby brokenswiftie extoling it's virtues in a recent thread.

So I think it's about time I did that. And in the process hopefully not break reality.

Explorers who've met with a terrible fate:

AFdAKPh.png

As always, there's a plethora of great indie titles coming out next month, and Toma has put together a video preview of ten of them debuting in July. Check that video out below!

GxAoYEU.png

• Notice a poster that is obnoxious or harmful to the thread? REPORT THEM.
  • Do not solicit/trade/sell/beg for games in this thread.
  • Do not spam post your game stats/games count or post damage lists from sales. There's a dedicated thread for that!
  • NO ANIME/J-ROCK/POP POSTS ALLOWED
  • Maybe try not to drive posters away for sharing their thoughts on video games, alright? If you're not wanting to purchase a game for any reason, and someone discusses it in entirely unrelated terms, you don't necessarily have to tell them that you're not going to purchase it for that reason. I know that's something I could do better myself. That's not to say you can't discuss that reason, of course, you just don't have to every time someone mentions a game in an unrelated context.

LfFWMTH.png

Xv7uIjB.png

The SteamERA Community was founded on Discord on October 2017, a stranded bunch of SteamGAF who united together and embraced on what we thought was the end of times. However as more people joined we found hope and soon started to formulate and plan for the future. This thread would not be possible without the community we have on Discord and I encourage all of you to join if you have not.

You can join this amazing community on Discord with this link:
Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.

Last edited:

Kadzork

Has got mad skills!!
Oct 27, 2017
New thread smell!

With Kena pushed to September it looks like Fireteam Elite and possibly the Mortal Shell DLC for me this month.

OP
OP
Uzzy

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
And if you think this month is packed.. September is coming.

3EccFja.gif

FinFunnels

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Ooh I didn't know Tetris Effect was coming! I'll be getting that, Psychonauts 2 and Final Fantasy IV…. and probably some random other games that happen to go on sale.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Hey everyone!

I built a PC a few years back when the 1070 came out and enjoyed it for a little while. It blew up and I had 2 kids in that time since so I haven't returned to it.

I pre-ordered Steam Deck and am eagerly awaiting a return to PC gaming in a form I can play around the house (which is critical with young kids).

OP
OP
Uzzy

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Can you give a quick rundown of what's coming next month? I don't usually keep up with release dates.

So the big games for me at least are Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous, Total War: Troy, Deathloop and some little known game called Life is Strange: True Colours. That's 4 AAA games I want to pick up. Then there's indies like Sable, Skatebird, the new Outer Wilds DLC, Aragami 2. At least my vague interest in picking up Diablo II: Resurrected has entirely disappeared now given recent events.

Timcanpies

Sep 17, 2020
I'm cautiously optimistic about Humankind, will wait to see how it reviews but I hope it can live up to its hype

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Holy fuck what is this month of riches???

Aliens Fireteam Elite
Death Trash Early Access
Lamentum
Glitchpunk
Humankind

835e3858c6fb4f9609d613790e094017.jpg

btw nice thread op :)

admataY

Oct 25, 2017
I almost forgot I fig-started Psychonauts 2, I guess this will be my main for the month once it comes out. In the meanwhile im enjoying RDR2 , as it turns out its a really good looking game !

Kadzork

Has got mad skills!!
Oct 27, 2017
Despite thinking I would be taking a break from Dead by Daylight after the anniversary event I am still playing and intending to keep going.

That & finally finishing Nier endings C+ will keep me busy until Fireteam Elite - all the previews looked really solid.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
In for Psychonauts 2, Recompile, and Tetris Effect.

Last month and this month have been the months of me buying games, installing them, but never touching them because I'm currently trying to get through the MSQ in FFXIV.

The only other game I really played last month was Skyward Sword. But I did end up beating it, so that felt nice not to add to my backlog.

z1ggy

Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
I think this month its going to be a Final Fantasy month for me. I have to finish XII, then im starting X and then the very first one with the 2d sprites remastered.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
Crazy that Psychonauts 2 is finally coming out, it's been....what, since Dec 2015 when the fig launched?

I'm curious if Humankind will end up being the 4x title that finally snags me after bouncing off several in the past.

Waiting a bit longer on Cris Tales (gotta finish up a few other things first), finish up Ascent, and Grime and 12 minutes too, eesh.

Also going through Greedfall after I bought it in one of the old steam sales, and while it's 'AA' limitations are quite evident in its map re-use and limited dialogue, I'm having a lot of fun with its rpg mechanics/systems.

Gotta ready myself for September's onslaught, too.

(I don't even wanna think about October yet)

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
So this was released a few days ago and it looks amazing. I don't know what's going on but it's a pleasure to look at. Anyone played?

bic

Oct 28, 2017
Aw damn. I thought Death Trash this month was the full release, not early access :(

eZipsis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I'm very excited for Twelve Minutes. I need to find some time to knock out Psychonauts before Psychonauts 2 comes out. I've been meaning to play it for years and years. I thought the Recompile demo was pretty interesting when I played it, I might look at that when it releases. Same thing with Mortal Shell, demo was alright, maybe I'll give it a go.

It's my birthday on the 26th of this month! So even more reason August is a great month.

Damn you Uzzy, how dare you make me reinstall one of the best games ever for an achievement I didn't have!

zTuTsXa.jpg

Also, seems like they have added 14 achievements for the DLC, now I really want to get them all before the DLC launches...

OP
OP
Uzzy

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
I'm very excited for Twelve Minutes. I need to find some time to knock out Psychonauts before Psychonauts 2 comes out. I've been meaning to play it for years and years. I thought the Recompile demo was pretty interesting when I played it, I might look at that when it releases. Same thing with Mortal Shell, demo was alright, maybe I'll give it a go.

It's my birthday on the 26th of this month! So even more reason August is a great month.

Damn you Uzzy, how dare you make me reinstall one of the best games ever for an achievement I didn't have!

zTuTsXa.jpg

Also, seems like they have added 14 achievements for the DLC, now I really want to get them all before the DLC launches...

I'm truly the worst. Added to the OP!

Blade30

Oct 26, 2017
Nothing really for me this month, at least no something I need to play now. I'll stick with my backlog and jump into Dishonored 2 instead.

empo

Jan 27, 2018
started a replay of psychonauts and it's making me pretty hyped for 2
also might check out twelve minutes

Moogle

Top Mog
Oct 27, 2017
I had no idea Tetris Effect was coming to Steam... this is... really bad for my productivity 😬

Gevin

Nov 2, 2017
Not a lot of interesting things this month, maybe FF4 but I replayed it relatively recently

Oct 27, 2017

98tT02E.png

Aliens: Fireteam Elite - Uzzy - Out August 24th

From new developers Cold Iron Studios comes a co-operative third person shooter set, quite unsurprisingly, in the Aliens universe. As one of three battle hardened marines, you must fight your way through hordes of an ever evolving xenomorph threat.

Ambition: A Minuet in Power - Uzzy - Out August 18th

This romantic visual novel sees you play as a woman of fashion in Paris, 1789, navigating the complexities of the Parisian social scene and striving for status and maybe even true love. Mingle with the rich and powerful, exchange in court gossip, woo the hearts of many and learn their secrets. Just don't lose your head.

Age of Empires III: DE - The African Royals - Uzzy - Out August 2nd

Adding two new civilisations to Age of Empires III, Ethopia and the Hausa, complete with unique units and technologies (Gatling Camel, anyone?) as well as three themed historical battles, including the Battle the Three Kings.

Age of Empires II: DE - Dawn of the Dukes - Mentalist - Out August

More Age of Empires II! Two new civilizations, the Poles and the Bohemians, and bonus campaign for the Lithuanians, covering the landmark Battle of Tannenberg (Grunwald) among other moments. Delve into birth of the Polish-Lithuanian Personal Union, the precursor to the great Commonwealth, and relive the first continental Reformation during the Hussite Wars. This is obviously just more of the tried and true Age of Kings gameplay, but with Hussite Wars campaign being my biggest dream for the game, it's amazing to see it realized.

Carrier Command 2 - Uzzy - Out August 10th

The spiritual successor to the classic 80's game, Carrier Command 2 is an RTS that puts in you in command of a futuristic robotic carrier and it's arsenal of weaponry, aircraft and amphibious units, setting out to conquer a series of islands. Using the carrier's intel gathering packages, you must learn where the enemy is present and use the carrier's resources to strike at them, driving them from the islands to exploit their resources for further missions.

City of Gangsters - Uzzy - Out August 9th

The arrival of prohibition has opened up a space in the city's economy, a highly profitable one for those willing to get their hands dirty, and it's your job to fill it, getting rich by keeping the liquor flowing. Build your distilleries, distribution networks and speakeasies, bribe police to look the other way and assemble your own crew to defend your empire from rivals.. and take the fight to them. The city is yours for the taking.

Death Trash - Uzzy - Out in Early Access August 5th

From indie developers Crafting Legends, Death Trash is a post-apocalyptic role-playing game where cosmic horrors crave humanity but meet punks with shotguns. Customise your punk using a variety of skills, and approach the wasteland your way, refusing to kill anyone, or smashing them in the face with hammers.

Final Fantasy IV - Uzzy - Out August 19th

The original FINAL FANTASY IV comes to life with completely new graphics and audio! A remodelled 2D take on the fourth game in the world-renowned FINAL FANTASY series! Enjoy the timeless story told through charming retro graphics.

Fire Tonight - Uzzy - Out August 12th

A narrative driven point and click game, Fire Tonight sees two lovers separated by a city on fire. As Maya, you must navigate the flames and the police barricades by car, train and rollerskate, trying to make it back home, while Devin waits back at the apartment reminiscing about the time spent together.

Glitchpunk - Uzzy - Out in Early Access August 11th

As a glitching android, you're able to go against your programming. Which you do by taking down the tyrannical governments running the dystopian nightmare of neon slick streets and megacorp skyscrapers. Select from an arsenal of weaponry and stolen cars, driving around the four different urban environments to take out gang leaders, corporate agents and whatever passes for the law as synthwave tunes blast out from the radio. Featuring a top-down perspective reminiscent of certain classics, this is Cyberpunk meets Grand Theft Auto. Again.

Grime - Mentalist - Out August 2nd

An intriguing metroidvania with soulslike, stamina-based combat, where the protagonist is a sentient black hole, exploring a world inspired by Beksinski- meaning, a lot of organic biopunk weirdness. There`s a decent variety of weapons with special abilities, and RPG systems and character progression. The demo was pretty great, and the setting feels refreshingly strange.

HUMANKIND - Uzzy - Out August 17th

Amplitude Studios have made a number of excellent 4X games in recent years, including Endless Legend and Endless Space 2. But while those were set in their quite inspired sci-fi universe 'Endless', for their latest game they've stepped up their ambition and look to be taking aim at the grand daddy of all 4X games. No, not Master of Orion 2, but Civilization itself. And when you come at the king, you best not miss. Especially when he's as nice as Sid Meier.

HUMANKIND promises to let you rewrite the entire narrative of human history with each playthrough, which is a really quite bold claim, but from the demo they're at least taking a swipe at it. Unlike Civilization, you start as a band of hunter gatherers, exploring the world until you decide to settle, then pick from one of multiple cultures to adopt through each age. So far, two big complaints against the nature of Civilization struck down, an ahistorical start and changing civilisations. The end game is drastically different from Civilization too, with victory points, called Fame, accumulated throughout the game for your deeds and actions right from the very beginning of your tribe. There's tactical battles, one city per area (which can be expanded out to claim other areas should you wish) along with a host of other changes to the Civilization formula. Amplitude Studios have already proved their worth as fantastic 4X developers in the past, so this is looking to be something special.

King's Bounty II - Uzzy - Out August 24th

A sequel to the King's Bounty series sees the return of the turn based RPG. Build an army, assemble your squad and help save the world of Nostria.

Lamentum - Mentalist - Out August 31st

A top-down Resident Evil set in a 19th century New England mansion where the occult Lovecraftian horrors are breaking through. Play as a young aristocrat who has enlisted the assistance of an eccentric occultist to save his dying wife, but now wakes up with amnesia in a mansion overrun by horrors. Featuring classic Resident Evil gameplay such as inventory management, save rooms, and puzzles that involve examining and manipulating objects in your inventory for clues, as well as choosing when to fight and when to avoid the cosmic horrors, all done in a wonderful 2d pixel art style, with tight corridors that remind me of my favourite top-down game, `Blood Omen". Steam demo is still available, so check this one out!

Lawn Mower Simulator - Oinone - Out August 10th

Everyone knows about Rule 34, but people talk barely about Rule 35: If it exists, there is a simulator of it.
Nothing is better than mowing your lawn at 6 AM on a Sunday morning, and now you can do so no matter the weather and without your neighbours wanting to kill you.
A whole British town with impressive estates waits to be mowed by you. Choose the lawnmower of your favourite real life brand, check the terrain to adjust your tools right and mow your company to the top!
There is a demo available, if you want to test the green beforehand. So what are you waiting for? This grass won't cut itself.

Madden NFL 22 - Uzzy - Out August 21st

The long running 'American Football' series returns with it's new yearly edition, featuring the likes of Tomb Raidy and Patrick Mahomes throwing footballs around. At least the Americans can win this one right?

Mortal Shell - Uzzy - Out August 18th on Steam

A deep action souls-like RPG that tests your sanity and resilience in a shattered world. Your adversaries spare no mercy, with survival demanding superior awareness, precision, and instincts. Possess lost warriors, track down hidden sanctums of the devout, and face formidable foes. This Steam edition launches with The Virtuous Cycle DLC, which even adds in a Roguelike mode.

NARAKA: BLADEPOINT - Uzzy - Out August 12th

A new entrant into the Battle Royale space, NARAKA: BLADEPOINT aims to stand out from the crowd with it's wuxia inspiration worn proudly on it's sleeve. Featuring a focus on melee combat and vertical arenas you can freely climb with your grappling hook, NARAKA sees you leaping from tree to tree, building to building, clashing blades at the ready.

New World - Uzzy - Out August 31st

Need a new MMO? Why not look at New World, Amazon studios first foray into the field. No moral quandaries there at least.

Shipwrecked on the supernatural island of Aeternum, you'll find endless opportunities to fight, forage, and forge await you among the island's wilderness and ruins. Channel supernatural forces or wield deadly weapons in a classless, real-time combat system, and fight alone, with a small team, or in massed armies for PvE and PvP battles—the choices are all yours. Arm yourself with brutal melee weapons, ranged artillery, or supernatural powers and jump into New World's classless, real-time action combat system.

Psychonauts 2 - Uzzy - Out August 25th

15 years on, the sequel to the much beloved Psychonauts is finally here. Double Fine and Tim Schaffer return to give us the continuation of Razputin's adventures at Psychonaut HQ, where he quickly learns that things are not as they seem. Dive into unique platforming environments to battle the demons in people's minds, resolve their emotional baggage, and ultimately, help them heal. With quirky laughs to stop things getting too heavy.

Recompile - Mentalist - Out August 19th

A 3D Metroidvania that feels like TRON. The protagonist is is an embodiment of a program that`s struggling to avoid deletion in a computer that categorizes it as an intruder. Incorporating 3rd person shooting, puzzle-solving, and platforming exploration, this is another great take on the genre. The eventual ability to chain together jumps and air dashes turns you into a digitized superhero, exploring massive, 3D digitized constructs in ways that games like TRON haven`t really done yet.

Road 96 - Uzzy - Out August 16th

From Digixart, the developers of such titles as Valiant Hearts and 11-11 Memories Retold comes Road 96. Banned by Facebook, this deeply political road trip simulator sees you on the road trying to escape your totalitarian country of Petria. Take one of thousands of routes out, meeting new people each with their own story to tell, dodge the law and authorities, make choices that shape your destiny and those around you as you bid to escape.. and just maybe reach the border.

Tetris Effect: Connected - Uzzy - Out August 18th on Steam

Tetris Effect finally comes to Steam, with an all new multiplayer expansion. Tetris Effect is Tetris like you've never seen it, or heard it, or felt it before—an incredibly addictive, unique, and breathtakingly gorgeous reinvention of one of the most popular puzzle games of all time, from the people who brought you the award-winning Rez Infinite and legendary puzzle game Lumines.

Music, backgrounds, sounds, special effects—everything, down to the Tetriminos themselves, pulse, dance, shimmer, and explode in perfect sync with how you're playing, making any of the game's 30+ stages and 10+ modes something you'll want to experience over and over again.

While it doesn't need VR, from all accounts it's much the superior game with it. Still, nice to have the option.

The Big Con - Uzzy - Out August 31st

A 90s Era Coming of Age comedy featuring a curious and sarcastic high schooler out to do crime? I'm in. Hustle your way across '90s America as a runaway teen con artist. Choose how to make your scratch as you don disguises, pick pockets, and rip people off in this comedic crime-filled adventure. Experience the totally rad '90s in all its plaid and payphone glory! But this isn't a joyride! Ali is on an all-important mission to save her family video store from the nasty loan sharks trying to shut their shop down.

Twelve Minutes - Uzzy - Out August 19th

Developed by Luis Antonio and published by Annapurna Interactive, Twelve Minutes is a click and drag thriller about a man stuck in a time loop, destined to relive the same horrifying twelve minutes over and over again unless he can find a way out. Featuring the voice talents of James McAvoy, Daisy Ridley, and Willem Defoe, Twelve Minutes traps you in the claustrophobic confines of the four walls of your house and the endless recursion of time.

gK65o0a.png

Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri - Uzzy

So OK this is mostly going to be me gushing about the last truly great 4X game. One that came out way back in 1999, and has still to be bettered in all honesty. Will Humankind better it? Well even coming close will be impressive enough, although Alpha Centauri is a very different type of game really. Rather than relying on history as the structure for gameplay, Alpha Centauri sees humanity set out on the colonisation of space, and so must be written wholesale. Which in this case is spectacularly written by Brian Reynolds, telling a sci-fi tale of the remnants of humanity fleeing a dying world, only to fall into petty squabbling over ideology as soon as they arrive on Planet, which they all quickly discover is not the virgin new world they assumed. With each faction splitting off into their own independent state with their own conflicting vision for the future of humanity, you must lead one of them in a clash of ideological supremacy.

And it's here where the writing really pays off. Inspired by a lot of sci fi works, but mostly notably Dune, Red Mars and The Jesus Incident, Brian Reynolds constructed a memorable world of leaders utterly convinced that their ideology was the one true way, showing both the good and bad, with no one side being played as cartoonish villains. Even the religious fanatics get some good points made in their favour. The world and story are explored through the construction of regular buildings and special projects, each accompanied with a bit of text or motion video, many of which are far more memorable and better told than anything that's been delivered since. Not even Sean Bean or Leonard Nimoy could compete! Listening to Colonel Corazon Santiago talking about the benefits of having a children's creche built stays with me. Then you have the world itself, Planet, which as the game develops comes ever more to life, the random attacks of the psychic 'mind worms' soon becoming ever more focused and directed and.. intelligent. Humanities survival depends on co-existence and eventually co-operation with the intelligence inside(?) the Planet itself.

It's a really memorable game, and honestly no amount of gameplay improvements can supplant this one for me. It's a shame that Beyond Earth, despite being so much better in gameplay terms and overall production values and polish, ended up feeling utterly lifeless by comparison. I'll be revisiting it in advance of HUMANKIND, hoping for another leap in 4X gaming.

Colonists landing on Planet this month:

JIfmoDo.png

Outer Wilds - Uzzy

There's a new DLC coming! Seeing that announced made me realise that, hey, I've still not played this masterpiece, even with my wonderful hubby brokenswiftie extoling it's virtues in a recent thread.

So I think it's about time I did that. And in the process hopefully not break reality.

Explorers who've met with a terrible fate:

AFdAKPh.png

As always, there's a plethora of great indie titles coming out next month, and Toma has put together a video preview of ten of them debuting in July. Check that video out below!

GxAoYEU.png

• Notice a poster that is obnoxious or harmful to the thread? REPORT THEM.
  • Do not solicit/trade/sell/beg for games in this thread.
  • Do not spam post your game stats/games count or post damage lists from sales. There's a dedicated thread for that!
  • NO ANIME/J-ROCK/POP POSTS ALLOWED
  • Maybe try not to drive posters away for sharing their thoughts on video games, alright? If you're not wanting to purchase a game for any reason, and someone discusses it in entirely unrelated terms, you don't necessarily have to tell them that you're not going to purchase it for that reason. I know that's something I could do better myself. That's not to say you can't discuss that reason, of course, you just don't have to every time someone mentions a game in an unrelated context.

LfFWMTH.png

Xv7uIjB.png

The SteamERA Community was founded on Discord on October 2017, a stranded bunch of SteamGAF who united together and embraced on what we thought was the end of times. However as more people joined we found hope and soon started to formulate and plan for the future. This thread would not be possible without the community we have on Discord and I encourage all of you to join if you have not.

You can join this amazing community on Discord with this link: [Hidden content]

in for new world

Ricky

Oct 25, 2017
Where did the release date for Final Fantasy IV come from? That's a lot closer than I thought. Can't wait!

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
I've got Trails From Zero and Great Ace Attorney to keep me busy this month, so hopefully no buying from me.

ThatOneGuy831

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Psychonauts 2 and Death Trash for me this month. The demo for Trash got me real interested in the game

cHinzo

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished Cuphead and Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris.
Cuphead was challenging, but it reminded me so much of the old skool 2D games and it was awesome. Lara Croft was also fun to mess around in co-op with a lot more focus on puzzles and more forgiving bosses.
Anyone got some dope co-op games to recommend?

Also managed to get my pre-order in for the Steam Deck. I'm saving my playthrough of the third Ace Attorney game for the Deck.

Toast

Oct 28, 2017
Just finished Cuphead and Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris.
Cuphead was challenging, but it reminded me so much of the old skool 2D games and it was awesome. Lara Croft was also fun to mess around in co-op with a lot more focus on puzzles and more forgiving bosses.
Anyone got some dope co-op games to recommend?

Also managed to get my pre-order in for the Steam Deck. I'm saving my playthrough of the third Ace Attorney game for the Deck.

Can never fail with the Rayman games. Also Full Metal Furies.

zoku88

Oct 27, 2017
Really excited for Tetris Effect. I've been looking forwarding to playing it in VR ever since it was initially announced.

Want to see how Humankind turns out, as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.