• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fspm

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The feet must prevail
C5914DB691BBEDBCBAAFEC1914A30B2404489C92
That's what she said. Before she had an eye patch.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I get Elex vibes from Greedfall. There will be definitely be people who will look past whatever jank it has and enjoy it immensely.

BigHatPaul

May 28, 2019
I wanna go full PC gamer™️ but can't justify selling my XBOX because how damn good Game Pass is... but I can use the money... ugh.

closer

Oct 25, 2017
yeah but they aren't going to be courting general #gamers in the future if they make a phoneix point 2. i mean they might try but they'll want the people who will go above and beyond, the fans of original xcom. the ones they sold out

if they can remember the name julian gollop they can remember snapshot games

if your game was going to fail accepting an epic deal just delayed, not reversed your demise. all the while you've failed to grow your playerbase and no one played your last game. epic stopped giving out handouts so now what. at least you had a chance to hit it big on steam

in my mind that's kind of the pattern. it's so short term focused it hurts

Yeah i can def agree that it is extremely short term focused. I think logically you are correct about a lot of these just being mere delays, i just dont know what everything is going to look like years on. I do agree that if devs/epic are holding out for some sort of change in opinion in the next couple of years that it's not a responsible move at all

Last edited:

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
WBacon When is Asuras Wrath getting remastered

I just fell into a rabbithole of rewatching its keymoments on youtube and it hasn't lost anything of its charm!

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
If Greedfall scores above 65, I will buy it close to launch.

If it scores above 80, I will be shocked, amazed and very pleased.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
If a spider game scores above 80, I would need to make sure to check I am in the correct universe.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
To be clear i fully expect GreedFall to be 7/10 game.
Which is great for Spiders.

They have an uphill climb (fewer reviewers mean each review has more individual weight), but I really think they took to heart the criticisms of Technomancer's "difficulty" (it wasn't actually hard, it was just jank) and some of the awkward design decisions. I think a smoother early game and some more polish on the combat mechanics will go a long way to getting more favorable opinions.

There's a market out there for mid-2000s-style BioWare games. I know there is.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really would like to fast-foward 3 to 5 years and see how the EGS deal worked out for some of these indies.

Take Phoenix Point as an example. Making a game for a niche audience that kickstarted your game, and then you go and piss them off with the exclusivity deal. Sure, you earned a solid couple years of stability for your company, but will your niche audience support you moving forward? EGS just can't keep throwing money around forever, at some point they will have to stop. So what will they do when they find out the fortnite crowd isn't really interested in buying a niche TBS game, EGS stopped moneyhatting devs because it's not sustainable, and the people actually interested in your game either don't like you now or already moved on?.

Pretty short-sighted IMO, although I can understand how worried about failing an indie dev must be. The only thing we can do is wait and see how things turn out in the future. I think goodwill between the devs and the customers goes a long way. Warframe and Path of Exile are examples of games that stuck very close to their community and still do and enjoy a lot of success by pleasing said community. CDPR is probably one of the most loved companies for gamers at large because they take a pro-consumer approach whenever possible, and they're also extremely successful.

Very interesting to think about how this whole thing will end up a few years from now.

I think you're pretty far off the mark.

Niche games tend to bring their audience along, whether it's between consoles or what. People buy platforms for these things. Weebs might whine about censored animu panties and light sparkles covering naughty bits, but they're still gonna buy a Playstation 5. There's nobody really servicing the turn based tactics genre with a half decent budget but Firaxis and now Phoenix Point. Their only competition is really XCOM 3 (yes, Xenonauts 2 exists, but it's not going to be a blip in the radar, and it's also not releasing on consoles or getting promotion from something like Microsoft) whenever that eventually hits.

Jun 25, 2019
I think you're pretty far off the mark.

Niche games tend to bring their audience along, whether it's between consoles or what. People buy platforms for these things. Weebs might whine about censored animu panties and light sparkles covering naughty bits, but they're still gonna buy a Playstation 5. There's nobody really servicing the turn based tactics genre with a half decent budget but Firaxis and now Phoenix Point. Their only competition is really XCOM 3 (yes, Xenonauts 2 exists, but it's not going to be a blip in the radar, and it's also not releasing on consoles or getting promotion from something like Microsoft) whenever that eventually hits.
I don't know about that. Xenonauts 2 seems to be higher profile amongst enthusiasts of the genre than Phoenix Point is, at least at this point. Launching in the EGS won't help for visibility. But this is all speculation, like I said, we'll have to wait and see what happens. One thing I forgot to add is that fans of a niche genre are much more aware of creators/companies and its dealings than your regular AAA gamers. So people who are interested in the genre are probably already aware of what happened with Phoenix Point.

Oct 25, 2017
Blasphemous (demo) rules.
Super super tight combat with great feedback, animations are impressive. Some interesting twists in the boss battle to make fights more punishing to the player (can't roll through the boss unless it's raising its leg, for instance). The ascending slash is a great solution to deal with flying/tall enemies in a 2D environment while keeping things simple and not super over the top (or creating new animations/attacks).
Not having the option to drop or slide down stairs sucks though, and having the pause menu be an option in the map is weird, but ok.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Blasphemous (demo) rules.
Super super tight combat with great feedback, animations are impressive. Some interesting twists in the boss battle to make fights more punishing to the player (can't roll through the boss unless it's raising its leg, for instance). The ascending slash is a great solution to deal with flying/tall enemies in a 2D environment while keeping things simple and not super over the top (or creating new animations/attacks).
Not having the option to drop or slide down stairs sucks though, and having the pause menu be an option in the map is weird, but ok.

you can slide down stairs, or jump off them.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
You know what really needs an RTX patch? Not Quake, nor Minecraft, but the big daddy CRYSIS.

Gotta bring those "But can it run Crysis?" memes back in fashion!

Status
Not open for further replies.