• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017

Well i guess that it doesn't help that everyone wants to be indie developer these days.

i wouldn't be surprised, with how fragmented the storefronts are getting. you're not going to get the same number of eyeballs collectively, and things like gamepass or the obscene number of EGS giveaways only devalue the proposition of paying for games individually.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
i wouldn't be surprised, with how fragmented the storefronts are getting. you're not going to get the same number of eyeballs collectively, and things like gamepass or the obscene number of EGS giveaways only devalue the proposition of paying for games individually.

Eh it is not that. First and foremost market is overcrowded, there are so many indie developers these days that you literally start forgetting that some of them even exist. And people are not stopping going indie. developers are abandoning AAA studios and then going indie almost every other week. Look at Tizoc Highlight Threads, nobody has that much money, time or interest to get every single of those games on release. Add to that how AAA studios are basically training people to play one game for years and more recently to not even buy games instead to get subscriptions things are getting worse. And on top of that younger generations are trained to buy skins and emotes since they get phone for the first time, they don't care about 2-5h indie games. When you sum all of those things it is clear why sales are down. It doesn;t matter where you sell your game if you are competing with 20 other games that month.

Deleted member 18857

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, Tizoc's post is giving me anxiety. And it's missing Electronic Super Joy 2, and I need to find a Switch to play Astral Chain, and I need to play all the games from the Summer Sales I haven't touched, and...
Maybe I need to uninstall Steam and start a new hobby outside.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
They are just so many indies games coming out that i had no idea even existed until today.
Knights and Bikes
Man of Medan
Ancestors:The Humankind Odyssey
And im sure there is a bunch more too.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
Argh, I want to play Gears 4 co-op to earn a gilded Kait and refresh my memory on story but it keeps freeze crashing after like 10 minutes. I played it through no problem when it came out.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
Agree with the above comments on market oversaturation, etc.

It gives me mild sadness & anxiety for the industry 'cause I see so much talent out there that goes unnoticed.

Anyway, hope one of the featured games this month, Flotsam fares well. I've been following it and it looks quite ace.

OP
OP
Uzzy

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Agree with the above comments on market oversaturation, etc.

It gives me mild sadness & anxiety for the industry 'cause I see so much talent out there that goes unnoticed.

Anyway, hope one of the featured games this month, Flotsam fares well. I've been following it and it looks quite ace.

It's not just games, it's all media trying to consume your time and money, all competing with each other. Games, movies, streaming services, books, music, live events, we're in an era overwhelming abundance of accessible entertainment, much of it freely available. So much good content is going to be hidden under the deluge, the best you can do is try to signal boost the stuff you find that needs it (especially the stuff without megacorps behind it.)

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
Chuchel is 4 dollars on humble bundle(3 if a monthly subscriber) and it is worth every cent if you want an incredibly charming point n click that doesn't wear out its welcome.

Very specific request but does anyone with a 4K TV have Killer 7 installed? Everyone was saying the game runs at your desktop resolution but screenshots I took (and the amount of aliasing) clearly show a 1920x1080 rendering resolution. Wondering if someone could take a screenshot in-game while running the os at 4K and see if they also get 1080P reported so I can figure out if something is wrong on my end.

Also just wondering if there's actually a 1080P cap and no one noticed lol.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
I need to stop being lazy and get real internet in my new apartment set up so I can actually download Gears 4 before the year is over at my current speeds lol

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Yeah, Tizoc's post is giving me anxiety. And it's missing Electronic Super Joy 2, and I need to find a Switch to play Astral Chain, and I need to play all the games from the Summer Sales I haven't touched, and...
Maybe I need to uninstall Steam and start a new hobby outside.
Ah yeah i should add esj2
I may have it in the .txt alresdy but will.double check!

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
rGAE0zm.png

4 hours?

giphy.gif

Even if you JUST played the required levels in each zone to get by it (which is about half in each zone), I still call bullshit on doing it all in just 4 hours, im not the brightest bulb with puzzles games but some of these are crazypants obtuse, fuck if youre beating the game in 4 hours without solutions.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Absolutely no way? Or is it just harder than before?

The latter, probably:

I presume key activations are now bound by the same rules as gift activations, which means that unless your IP and the "home region" of your account match that of the key (i.e. you've most recently purchased something from the Steam Store of that region and are connected to the relevant VPN server), the key won't activate.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
rGAE0zm.png

4 hours?

giphy.gif

Even if you JUST played the required levels in each zone to get by it (which is about half in each zone), I still call bullshit on doing it all in just 4 hours, im not the brightest bulb with puzzles games but some of these are crazypants obtuse, fuck if youre beating the game in 4 hours without solutions.

you can get the end credits fairly quickly - but it doesnt involve you beating the majority of the zones. theres a proper ending that needs much more work (20 hours in and i still have a bunch to figure out)

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
It's tied to store region according to this site, while it's possible to change but might lead to ban. (site recommends alternative accounts and epic games store as option)

I just ran a quick test as I remembered the FM2014 key I purchased on Nuuvem way back when is activation-restricted to Brazil. Attempting to redeem the key with a Brazilian IP plus Brazil set as my store region still resulted in the "Sorry, but the following items are not available for purchase in your country" error, so, yeah, I'd say key and gift activations are now on equal footing.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
I just ran a quick test as I remembered the FM2014 key I purchased on Nuuvem way back when is activation-restricted to Brazil. Attempting to redeem the key with a Brazilian IP plus Brazil set as my store region still resulted in the "Sorry, but the following items are not available for purchase in your country" error, so, yeah, I'd say key and gift activations are now on equal footing.
giphy.gif

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
rGAE0zm.png

4 hours?

giphy.gif

I'm totally with you there.

Such a head-scratchingly good game though and so easy to dip in and out.

Always so impressed at the design of puzzle games like this. How he managed to design so many levels is insane, and of such cleverness! An absolute genius and can't wait to see what he does next.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
So I've been unable to buy RAD and with the new key restriction thing, unable to activate a key either. the devs themselves have been completely unhelpful on discord and bandai namco is just unresponsive to any emails i send.

someone mentioned this list of countries as region restricted on the steam forums

Japan, Afghanistan, Albania, Belarus, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Burundi, Central African Republic, China, Congo, Eritrea, Haiti, Iraq, Lebanon, Libya, Macau, Macedonia, Montenegro, Myanmar, Serbia, Somalia, Samoa, Ukraine, Venezuela, Yemen, Zimbabwe

really frustrating bullshit.

i dont have any point in posting, just venting at how arbitrary the region restriction list is, and just baffled at the lack of response, from anyone involved.

Wok

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
France
TI10 in Stockholm! After 9 years, back to Europe!

fSjcZ9y.jpg

Attempting to redeem the key with a Brazilian IP plus Brazil set as my store region still resulted in the [not available] error
Brazilian IP + Brazilian store + "home region" of Brazil: [image showing it works]

What is the difference between "store" and "home region"? Aren't both the same thing: "store country"?

3bLkeRD.png
Uw86o4V.png

What if I give my login data to a friend in region for that key? XD Or log in and activate key via TeamViewer?

That would be the same as using a VPN.

Last edited:

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
With all these changes regarding key activations, I figure I should check if wallet codes suddenly don't have the same restrictions. Still okay to purchase a UK wallet code to activate on my Malaysian region account?

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Finished Ape Out on Gamepass. That was a fun little game and slightly scratched the itch for something a bit more Hotline Miami related (At least in gameplay).
The Breakout mode especially once I threw on some HM tunes. Still bummed Hotline Miami on Gamepass has no Xbox achievements, means there's no real point in playing it there (Since I already have it on Steam).

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
With all these changes regarding key activations, I figure I should check if wallet codes suddenly don't have the same restrictions. Still okay to purchase a UK wallet code to activate on my Malaysian region account?
Wallet codes are ok
I redeemed a uk steam cash code and it converted to aed just fine.

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
1.5h into Knights & Bikes.
Maybe way to early to tell, but it could very well end up GOTY for me, in competition with Outer Wilds.
It's got a bit of a fealing of games like Oxenfree, but something those games really could learn from.
Fun ways to move around, well paced, and dialogs that knows when enough is enough.

Gonna play further now, but so far it's a tremendously succesful kickstarter.

Last edited:

Spaltazar

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
which is funny, because i swear i read somewhere that epic wanted to stop the devaluing of games. and then the gave away free ones every week and made a storewide discount shortly after, lol

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
Wait...are you guys saying that 3rd party digital stores are dead? Im sorry, maybe Im missing something here maybe.

Wok

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
France
Wait...are you guys saying that 3rd party digital stores are dead? Im sorry, maybe Im missing something here maybe.

Only the ones which allow to take advantage of regional pricing. If I understand correctly, it is close to the same hassle to:
  • activate from the USA an Argentinian Steam key bought on the grey-market,
  • actually circumvent the "store country" setting to directly purchase from the Argentinian Steam store.
The only difference would be that in the second case, you would need a payment method tied to Argentina. At least, that is what I understand of the situation.

I do not know how large the grey-market is for Steam keys. It might not be such a big deal.

Last edited:

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
So the same as it has been for a while then. Thank god, I thought something crazy happened and Valve shut down legit key sellers.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
What if I give my login data to a friend in region for that key? XD Or log in and activate key via TeamViewer?

That wouldn't work unless they first changed the home region of your account. That requires either using the option in Wok's post below (which triggers a cooldown) or purchasing something from the store.

What is the difference between "store" and "home region"? Aren't both the same thing: "store country"?

3bLkeRD.png
Uw86o4V.png

"Home region" = Steam Wallet region, basically. While you can freely change store regions from the cart page, this doesn't change the region associated with your Wallet unless you actually complete a purchase.

Deleted member 3888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Status
Not open for further replies.