• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
I've long complained about the lack of long form criticism in this realm, there's no new yorker of video games for instance, but since i get all my news from here I never really thought about the options for that outside of this place
I've read similar complaints before and all I can think is "What exactly are you looking for then?"
Writing long form criticism is fun, but nobody reads it. I learned that the hard way when I got into games-writing a decade ago.

The journalists who are (or perhaps were) making money in this industry are those who can generate 10+ articles a day about nothing.

Cordelia

Jan 25, 2019
It was both. Lots of their games from PS1 and PS2 we didnt get (althought they got better on PS2 on actually getting them), but up to Persona 5, there was always some delay involving launching in Europe.
Both.

Being an EU Atlus fan has always been suffering.

DS too. Most of the Etrian Odyssey games and Strange Journey were never available here. Devil Survivor did eventually make it over, but it was massively delayed and buggy. DS2 was similarly late.
And here I thought that delayed release in Asia is the worst. Never thought that EU is experienced the same thing.

Parsnip

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
I guess to be fair to Atlus, getting other Japanese games in Europe was a shitshow too, at least still on PS1 and possibly PS2. It's just that when pretty much everyone else started playing ball at some point, Atlus is like Europe who? And it's the same story again in PC.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
It's a lot like that for the first half. Then it gets better, then it gets worse, then it gets better.

You'll probably want to watch a Youtube video about the "Dodge Offset" move, as the game doesn't explain it and it's kinda the USP of the combat system.

Well i started it, now there is no going back XD I will look at that move.

BTW

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Somebody here said that they liked hands in Thief, here is another game with interesting hands XD

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
Its soundtrack is great, btw. But I can't see her posture without my back starting to hurt.

How does this make you feel

maxresdefault.jpg

Teeth

Nov 4, 2017

I don't know, some people are really into camp. And there's likely some 4th wave feminist theory interpretation i haven't read about Bayonetta's saint/sexualized object dichotomy and empowerment that could be valid.

Some people could find the spartan environment set design to be effective at focusing on the primary gameplay set (characters and enemies). There's probably someone out there who has affinity for the yellow-and-bloom miasma that coats the whole thing.

I know there's lots of people that appreciate the jazz-pop score.

It's tough to call stuff objectively good or bad.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone use Rainmeter or something similar for launching Steam stuff. Have been using one for years but the last few months it's been screwing up a lot. Want to know if there's a better similar program or at least a better skin.

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
Hi everyone, I'm trying to log into my Steam account for the first time in months, but Steam Guard isn't sending me my verification code.

Is it possible to force it to send again? How long should I wait for the email to arrive?

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
Hi everyone, I'm trying to log into my Steam account for the first time in months, but Steam Guard isn't sending me my verification code.

Is it possible to force it to send again? How long should I wait for the email to arrive?
It should be instantly. Are you sure you're not using a mobile authenticator?

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
It should be instantly. Are you sure you're not using a Mobile Authenticator?

I am not sure if Im using an authenticator. Maybe once upon a time, but I mean, Im not getting any text or mobile authenticator.

I don't even have the Steam app on my phone. It says that a code has been sent to my hotmail.

Would you recommend I reset my account or something? (I've tried to force the email from the browser (Safari + Chrome), the desktop App, and just downloaded the mobile App)

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
Spry Fox's Steambirds Alliance goes live tomorrow. I've been mucking around in the beta for nearly a year, and truth be told, I was NOT sold that long ago, nor even a few months ago when I went back to see what had progressed. But now... now it's getting somewhere.

bullet hell shooter: pick from a variety of flying ship classes; each comes with a default attack, buff, and "escape" maneuver. then enter a massive top-down bullet-hell universe...

MMO: ...where dungeons will appear on the fly after larger waves of rogue enemy ships are cleared out. you can also follow mission paths with arrows pointing you to a chained series of objectives.

permadeath: it takes 1.5 hours as a newbie, and 45 mins as a pro, to max a character out to level 20, so when one of your ships inevitably dies, it's not an end-of-the-world heartbreak to start from scratch. every permadeath sees certain universal stats crawl up.

shared shooter: you can't sell or deconstruct lesser loot. instead, you're expected to drop any extra cargo you have so that other nearby players can snag it if they're starting from scratch. all quests and grouping are designed for shared play, so you're never competing with nearby players for loot, and shared experience points are as simple as fighting alongside anybody you see. you can aim your reticule and see other players on a map, then warp to them with a 3-second delay to help them with whatever quest or open-world combat they're in.

f2p: every cash purchase is either for cosmetics or to unlock QoL boosts (more character slots) or specific quests. (I need to play more to understand how the paid quest content works, but I honestly think that's a fair thing to gate behind real money, since you're not paying for abilities or damage boosts.) every purchase I've seen is the kind that you can't lose if a character suffers permadeath.

If all of this sounds familiar, that's because the core design team made Realm of the Mad God before they abandoned that project in favor of this one. (RotMG is still hosted/maintained by another company, not its creators.) right now, Steambirds Alliance is really fun at first blush, and easy to group up with friends. (though if anyone dies mid-mission, that's a permadeath end, and the rest of your group will either need to hang around and survive while the dead person rolls a new ship and rushes your way, or everyone needs to tap a single "return to the home city" button to regroup.)

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
I am not sure if Im using an authenticator. Maybe once upon a time, but I mean, Im not getting any text or mobile authenticator.

I don't even have the Steam app on my phone. It says that a code has been sent to my hotmail.

Would you recommend I reset my account or something? (I've tried to force the email from the browser (Safari + Chrome), the desktop App, and just downloaded the mobile App)

Have you looked everywhere in Outlook? It may be being detected as junk or a "conversation". Try searching for e-mails from [email protected].

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Lots of nice news from this week:

Seems like Rise of Industry was big enough to have an expansion. But fear not, as in the comments of the video the dev said they will continue supporting Rise of Industry

When I first saw it, I thought it looked like a bad tycoon game, but this tongue in cheek trailer really reminded me of how good The Movies was. Hopefully it will be as good!

Looks like a really nice and relaxing game?

Wok

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
France
This International has been pretty good so far: OG making insane plays, and now Meepo. It will be exciting to watch OG vs. EG later.

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Dr. Ludwig

Oct 31, 2017
Good to know!

Those concurrent figures being posted around were always nonsense. People on Era just trying to turn the situation into a loss for the dev when he seems to be happy with things.

Think I see a couple of media people sharing that dumbass image as well.

I haven't seen that yet but that would be a new low even for them. Games media contribution to the discourse had been a shitshow.

I've seen that image shared here in ERA and the implication was disgusting.

Good on the dev's success.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
What's the situation currently with gifting someone his region restricted game's DLC on Steam? Assuming of course he already managed to own that said region restricted game.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Lots of nice news from this week:

Seems like Rise of Industry was big enough to have an expansion. But fear not, as in the comments of the video the dev said they will continue supporting Rise of Industry

When I first saw it, I thought it looked like a bad tycoon game, but this tongue in cheek trailer really reminded me of how good The Movies was. Hopefully it will be as good!

Looks like a really nice and relaxing game?

OMG PLEASE BE LIKE THE MOVIES

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Ghostrunner has been the pleasant surprise of GamesCom. It looks like someone took the badassitude of E.Y.E.: Divine Cybermancy and gave it a coherent plot of something like Hard Reset.

Status
Not open for further replies.