• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tombstone for Orange should say:

• Windows ME is a good operating system

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • UN Ambassador for PC Gaming

Votes: 34 13.3%
  • Report this Orange man

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Still thinks PC Gaming is dead

Votes: 22 8.6%
  • ༼ つ ▀̿_▀̿ ༽つ (I have no idea if this one is allowed)

Votes: 57 22.3%
  • nice thread btw :)

Votes: 91 35.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
Every action, item you find, and even the way you translate a phrase of the ancient language ties into a far more thorough branching system than any game I've played in some time with even seemingly minor actions and dialogue choices being brought up in later conversations. Even the adventure game elements and simple exploration tie into an involved timeline system that has you detailing the entire history of the world across various millennia that you can scroll through. You can also leave areas almost immediately at times which given some of my exploration led to entirely new plot threads would change things drastically. All of this makes sense given the other Inkle games but this is on a much larger and ambitious scale and it works despite some technical issues.

From what I've read in new game plus items change and so on so if things really aren't set in stone the variation is unheard of given the amount of detail and dialogue in each location.
That's neat. I was already interested in the conceit of the game.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Some day they will make a Nep Nep card game.

giphy.gif

Speaking of card games, and for...err... future information sake (I guess?), Steamworld Quest is the first game in like 10 years (not since Darksiders 1, when did that come out?) that I actually bumped up to hard instead of just playing on normal like I do with every game. Im not even the "gimme challenge" guy but when you can actively skip actual game mechanics because its so easy, in a card game which is all about mechanics, its kind of a bummer. On hard its fine tho, Ive actually died on bosses and have to use defensive skills and adjust my decks and *gasp* use items and shit.

SeanShards

Oct 25, 2017
Which, if any, of the many Sherlock Holmes games on Steam are worth giving a try? Is there a lore to these? Do they fit in between the novels and short stories? I already have The Devil's Daughter from a Humble Monthly a long, long time ago.

Also just looking for good detective games in general, with a good (or at least campy/fun) narrative. I'm gonna play Obra Dinn pretty soon, and I got about halfway into Contradiction and will finish it soon enough.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
That's neat. I was already interested in the conceit of the game.
World is very fully realized, especially with the language you're learning as you explore with words having different contexts and objects having consistent cultural motifs that when combined with the branching mechanics and time lime feature really make it something special. Could fall apart lore or story wise I suppose, so we'll see.

SeanShards

Oct 25, 2017
Most of my friends grabbed MK on consoles because they don't trust the mp on pc staying alive.

be Interesting to see the split for MK.

Pretty much me here. I bought MKX on PC Day One (I timed my PC build to arrive the same day even) and it was just a really off-putting experience, even if it was all turned around in the end. I only have a PS4 with a couple of months, so it wasn't an option for Injustice 2 either.

Honestly I may end up trading it back once I have wrapped up the story. A €40 season pass plus all the single-player fuckery is, well it's a lot. I love the story so far and the moment-to-moment gameplay but I dunno if I can commit to the huge amount of time required to grind for stuff. I know it's all cosmetic, but it's a game where making the cast your own is a huge part of the sale, and if that is locked behind all that, it does sour me. I'll be getting a new rig next year so I may rebuy it on PC then.

Shengar

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe, but don't fall into the trap of defending Steam's profits (regardless of how deserved they are), when the issue is with Epic.
Well this is still related to Epic as the problem too. Tim Sweeney love and always seems to tout his 12% cut from the angle of pro devs, quite implying that Valve haven't done anything that close to his level (ignoring his numerous hipocrisy on working his employee like serfs and saying publishers know better than the devs themselves). That alwayd bothers me because in Tim's eyes the only and only way to support devs is just by giving them more money and it seems it worked for those not in the know about Steam.
If you think doing so will help, by all means, but you might be fighting a losing battle against stupidity and intentional ignorance
I know but even as I typed that I realized how many people including devs themselves seems to taken Steam features for granted when we put it into the bigger picture of the industry.

matimeo

UI/UX Game Industry Veteran
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
PC fighters always have smaller communities but at least we dont have to pay for online! :p

Ha. My buddies and I are ballin now.
Started from the bottom now we here!

In all seriousness my buddies just cancel when they aren't using it and I have an unfair advantage of industry discounts that I share when I can so it's not a big deal.

My buddies still will say remind me to cancel this when we are done lol.

Pretty much me here. I bought MKX on PC Day One (I timed my PC build to arrive the same day even) and it was just a really off-putting experience, even if it was all turned around in the end. I only have a PS4 with a couple of months, so it wasn't an option for Injustice 2 either.

Honestly I may end up trading it back once I have wrapped up the story. A €40 season pass plus all the single-player fuckery is, well it's a lot. I love the story so far and the moment-to-moment gameplay but I dunno if I can commit to the huge amount of time required to grind for stuff. I know it's all cosmetic, but it's a game where making the cast your own is a huge part of the sale, and if that is locked behind all that, it does sour me. I'll be getting a new rig next year so I may rebuy it on PC then.

I think people should just play MK like old school. Go thru story, mess around in training modes and play against others if you want. Everything else as far as I'm concerned is extra and frankly many people won't have time for it lol.

Don't think my friends concern themselves with towers or the krypt they hop right into pvp.

I like the injustice 2 equipment UI better , in fact the MK extra modes made me want to go back to injustice for that part lol

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
Well this is still related to Epic as the problem too. Tim Sweeney love and always seems to tout his 12% cut from the angle of pro devs, quite implying that Valve haven't done anything that close to his level (ignoring his numerous hipocrisy on working his employee like serfs and saying publishers know better than the devs themselves). That alwayd bothers me because in Tim's eyes the only and only way to support devs is just by giving them more money and it seems it worked for those not in the know about Steam.

I mean, this is why I mentioned how similar Trump and Sweeney are in that thread - they both use Twitter to further their narratives, and influence less knowledgable people.

But apparently that's hyperbole?

In any event, I've had an epiphany of sorts: Arguing something involving economics with people who have no idea about real-world economics is just pointless. It's not like I did a degree in it, but I read Krugman and Fukuyama, and have a solid base of knowledge that means I know bullshit and ignorance when I see it.

SeanShards

Oct 25, 2017
I think people should just play MK like old school. Go thru story, mess around in training modes and play against others if you want. Everything else as far as I'm concerned is extra and frankly many people won't have time for it lol.

Don't think my friends concern themselves with towers or the krypt they hop right into pvp.

I like the injustice 2 equipment UI better , in fact the MK extra modes made me want to go back to injustice for that part lol

I played a ton of PVP over the weekend of the closed beta. It's something I'd love to give more time, I've just had a really stressful few months (18 months really) and fighting games online, while very fun and satisfying, are very tough on my nerves. When I've finished a session, I've usually had a good time, but I'm a bit shaken afterward, even if I only do player matches. No idea why, lol.

Ja-

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Late (I was snapped) but JaseC will be missed. He was one of my favorite regulars in the steam threads and his presence will be missed.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
Everything about Heaven's Vault seems designed for me, can't see this not being my goty

So many objects to interact with and endless dynamic dialogue <3

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
I wanna say Sekiro is finally clicking for me; but I'm about to face another boss, and my confidence could evaporate after a day of failures.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Finished up all the Shadow of the Tomb Raider DLC. No big revelations but the devs were kind of trolly

character asks Lara what she'll do next, she smirks at the camera, fade to black.

The cut ending seemed so much more interesting. I guess they cut it because they didn't know what would be coming next, if anything.

Oct 30, 2017
Valve has feature-hatted the latest DLC for A Hat in Time.

Jesus, the anti-consumer bullshit never ends. Multiplayer is now platform exclusive. Of course, useful idiots are going to laud this as 'Victory for the consumer'. I hate how cynical these shitty companies have made me.

I also love how the devs here just conveniently 'forget' that 'everyone' includes 'people who bought our game on GOG'.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus, the anti-consumer bullshit never ends. Multiplayer is now platform exclusive. Of course, useful idiots are going to laud this as 'Victory for the consumer'. I hate how cynical these shitty companies have made me.

I also love how the devs here just conveniently 'forget' that 'everyone' includes 'people who bought our game on GOG'.

It's cross platform for use with "non - Steam" versions.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

Valve said in their GDC presentation that the API is compatible with non-Steam versions of titles. If GoG doesn't have Online. Thats on the developer, not Valve.

It honestly feels like people on this board are ready to jump on and circlejerk "STEAM BAD" at every turn. People call them lazy and when they add new features and personally help developers set them up, people still bitch.

Oct 30, 2017
Valve said in their GDC presentation that the API is compatible with non-Steam versions of titles. If GoG doesn't have Online. Thats on the developer, not Valve.

It honestly feels like people on this board are ready to jump on and circlejerk "STEAM BAD" at every turn. People call them lazy and when they add new features and personally help developers set them up, people still bitch.

What this actually demonstrates is how fragile people are when it comes to Valve. I never even mentioned Valve, let alone blamed them and called out the devs directly.

Edit: I feel like people might be misunderstanding what I said in my original post. Multiplayer was something that the Hat in Time devs talked about including since the kickstarter. That's what I was talking about when I said that 'multiplayer is now platform exclusive'.

Last edited:

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Valve said that the server platform is made to be platform agnostic, so it should be usable even outside of Steam.
What it possible happens here is that the beta is more constrained on that field and the full cross platform support comes with the full release. (So yeah, probably issue from Valve side on the "exclusivity" side :P). They want to test it works on a controlled / steamworks environment before opening it to other services.

Hopefully it helps Paradox too with the MP between Gog, Paradox Launcher and Steam.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
What this actually demonstrates is how fragile people are when it comes to Valve. I never even mentioned Valve, let alone blamed them and called out the devs directly.

Edit: I feel like people might be misunderstanding what I said in my original post. Multiplayer was something that the Hat in Time devs talked about including since the kickstarter. That's what I was talking about when I said that 'multiplayer is now platform exclusive'.
It's them this time, your original post didn't do anything to call out Valve.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

I did misunderstand your post. It reads like you're accusing Valve of getting the devs to make MP Steam exclusive. Or it could be because Ive been up for 30 hours and I'm being an idiot. My bad though.

But honestly considering some of the ridiculous anti-Steam arguments people post on Epic threads, its gotten to a point where I can't even tell if they're serious or not.

Oct 30, 2017
Valve said that the server platform is made to be platform agnostic, so it should be usable eventoutside of Steam.
What it possible happens here is that the beta is more constrained on that field and the full cross platform support comes with the full release.

Hopefully it helps Paradox too with the MP between Gog, Paradox Launcher and Steam.

I hope so. The DLC is more expensive on Steam compared to GOG - $7 vs $5, but maybe GOG will get a $2 Online Party DLC down the road.

I did misunderstand your post. It reads like you're accusing Valve of getting the devs to make MP Steam exclusive. Or it could be because Ive been up for 30 hours and I'm being an idiot. My bad though.

But honestly considering some of the ridiculous anti-Steam arguments people post on Epic threads, its gotten to a point where I can't even tell if they're serious or not.

Sorry on my part too, I've also been a bit tetchy with all this stuff, and I could have been clearer. I was just really annoyed at the dev's going 'we're being inclusive', which reads to me a lot like the EGS bullshit.

zoku88

Oct 27, 2017
They say the API is compatible with non steam versions, but what does that mean exactly.

It seems like you can use the API for any server that implements it. This specific game seems use Steam servers. Did Valve mean even that usage would be cross platform?

I assumed that just meant the api itself...

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017

fractured userbases and Features is the multi-store future that Steam-"Critics" ignore when they talk about how great the future will be.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
There already are fractured multiplayer userbases. Hopefully both Epic and Valve are working on cross-platform solutions that are great.
if Epic wouldn't fracture the userbase, they wouldn't need to work on a solution to solve a problem that they created themself, wouldn't it?

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
On mobile, so can't type easily, but this is a curious article

https://ftalphaville.ft.com/2019/04/26/1556271521000/Amazon-is-furious-about-this-negative-review/

Free registration required.

Today, the consumer association Which? released a report claiming that Amazon is "struggling to stem the tide of fake reviews" on its website. It states that 78,000 reviews for tech products have been removed in the past three years, but tens of thousands of questionable positive reviews remain.

Reviews are an integral part of an internet ecosystem that substitutes face-to-face familiarity with immediately accessible feedback from other buyers. Which? points out that the Competition and Markets Authority estimates that they influence £23bn of transactions a year.

By now, most shoppers have had the experience of skimming reviews for a product (or hotel, or film) and trying to assess their relevance. In the absence of other information, even marginally trusted sources can wield enormous influence over a spending decision. This applies even if the buyer is conscious of the structural flaws that beset online review mechanisms.

More at the article. I might post a thread about it later/tomorrow. Possible relevant with regards to the Steam review discussions?

Last edited:

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
if Epic wouldn't fracture the userbase, they wouldn't need to work on a solution to solve a problem that they created themself, wouldn't it?
Userbase was previously fractured already with GoG, Discord and other launchers (and well cross-play but that is more lol wait for Sony to stop being assholes to get some brownie points in the start of next gen). Valve started working on their solution way before Epic came to help provide service for those other cases.

sheaaaa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, I stumbled on the first Headless early and got absolutely frightened and ran away until near the end of the game. But by that point they were a walk in the park! I feel like I robbed myself of the thrill of fighting them.

I've found very little thrill in fighting them, just tedium.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Only one Headless left in Sekiro. That means that i killed every possible mini boss in Sekiro you can kill in one run.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
I'll never understand why people rattle on about DmC's level design which is clock full of automated platforming that makes Uncharted look like a Mario game. So boring

BlueOdin

Oct 26, 2017
I'll never understand why people rattle on about DmC's level design which is clock full of automated platforming that makes Uncharted look like a Mario game. So boring

Whenever I think people are talking about DmC's level design I got to the conclusion that they're not talking about the actual level design but the visual design of the levels. Any other view just doesn't make sense to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.