• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tombstone for Orange should say:

• Windows ME is a good operating system

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • UN Ambassador for PC Gaming

Votes: 34 13.3%
  • Report this Orange man

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Still thinks PC Gaming is dead

Votes: 22 8.6%
  • ༼ つ ▀̿_▀̿ ༽つ (I have no idea if this one is allowed)

Votes: 57 22.3%
  • nice thread btw :)

Votes: 91 35.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
I don't know why but hearing about the NRS crunch bothers me more than when I usually hear about it. Maybe it's because they're the only AAA studio in Chicago so it becomes more predatory in this case, maybe it's because seeing Ed Boon painted as this friendly, down to earth director when this shit is going down under his watch. Maybe it's because it's been going on for years and people have been giving NRS massive props and wondering how they do it. Well, this is how.

I hope Ed Boon gets grilled about it during an interview or something at the very least, maybe Giant Bomb will bring it up at E3 when they do their usual sit down with him.

Futaleufu

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
I don't know why but hearing about the NRS crunch bothers me more than when I usually hear about it. Maybe it's because they're the only AAA studio in Chicago so it becomes more predatory in this case, maybe it's because seeing Ed Boon painted as this friendly, down to earth director when this shit is going down under his watch. Maybe it's because it's been going on for years and people have been giving NRS massive props and wondering how they do it. Well, this is how.

I hope Ed Boon gets grilled about it during an interview or something at the very least, maybe Giant Bomb will bring it up at E3 when they do their usual sit down with him.

Has any studio changed their culture after their crunch habits have been revealed?

Swenhir

Oct 28, 2017
Price of Ubisoft games that went to Epic Store/Uplay exclusively went up 10% on average. Before exclusivity The Division 2 was sold on 12 stores for average price of 54.61 euros and Anno 1800 was sold on 15 stores for average price of 55.07 euros. Lowest registered price for Anno was 46.86 euros, lowest registered price for The Division 2 was 46.85 euros. If we take lowest registered prices and compare it after games went exclusively to Epic Store and UPlay we get around 30% price increase.

The benefits of competitions steadily trickling down to us, I see :p.

Parsnip

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Did anyone contact the actual charity about it? Get a twitter reply or anything of the sorts? Would be easy to link into something like that when reporting the store page.

Isamu

Dec 18, 2017
Downtown Rave City
Quick question guys.......
Right now I'm running Win10 off of one Samsung EVO 850 SSD. If I add another one and run it in Raid 1(mirrored) mode as a fail safe back up plan, will that slow down my performance? I have 32GB DDR4 ram

Dan L

Tried to PM someone for a tag
Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan
Quick question guys.......
Right now I'm running Win10 off of one Samsung EVO 850 SSD. If I add another one and run it in Raid 1(mirrored) mode as a fail safe back up plan, will that slow down my performance? I have 32GB DDR4 ram
raid 1 one should be almost identical to single drive performance these days especially on your SSDs.

Older software based raid solutions on shitty drives there would be a performance hit with raid 1 but even if there is a slight hit it shouldn't even be enough to notice at all.

matimeo

UI/UX Game Industry Veteran
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
If we're talking pure gameplay I'd take a bunch of other fighting games over it, but I'll give it props content wise.

To be honest I feel the only reason anyone cared was the Star Fox stuff though.

Yup. Got it for Star Fox otherwise would have ignored it. Wanted the Star Fox toy as well lol.

Has any studio changed their culture after their crunch habits have been revealed?

Right. Everyone acting shocked is odd to me. I've worked places where people did not go home but worked all night and continued into the next day. Also it's very hard to track, as there are places where some people are better at setting personal boundaries than others so maybe they don't crunch but many others around them still do.

It's a situation that's bigger than gaming sadly.

Cooking

Oct 27, 2017
god his tweets give me high blood pressure what a fuckin idiot.

Yes, valve, the company that almost single handedly made pc gaming relevant again while companies like Epic branded us all pirates, is actually just Game Dev IRS. Fuck off

Catshade

Oct 26, 2017
"Stores... just being nice places to buy stuff."

He still doesn't get why Steam is as popular as it is.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
So Tim wants Valve to remove majority of payment methods or transfer fees to customers, remove all features that are not necessary and stop doing everything else and just focus on Steam Store.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
The more Sweeney tweets lately, the more it reminds me of Trump.

Such a move would be a glorious moment in the history of PC gaming, and would have a sweeping impact on other platforms for generations to come.

Then stores could go back to just being nice places to buy stuff, rather than the Game Developer IRS.

This a) makes no sense, b) is trying to push a narrative that Steam is a big bad thing, and c) is trying to push the narrative that stores shouldn't have added value, but merely be someplace to buy things. B and C would - shockingly! - help Sweeney and the EGS, as B turns people against Steam, and C is trying to push the idea that a store that is "pure" and free from random extras (like EGS) is "better".

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
I hate the hate to IRS and most other tax agencies. They are an integral part of the finance of the state which provides many services and provides a (very modest) redistribution of wealth.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
I hate the hate to IRS and most other tax agencies. They are an integral part of the finance of the state which provides many services and provides a (very modest) redistribution of wealth.

Ah, you're right. I missed that at first, but it's definitely pushing the well-worn - and false - narrative that taxes/tax collection departments are negative things. It's also disingenuously arguing that a store cut is the same as a tax, which is just... urgh. :/

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
god his tweets give me high blood pressure what a fuckin idiot.

Yes, valve, the company that almost single handedly made pc gaming relevant again while companies like Epic branded us all pirates, is actually just Game Dev IRS. Fuck off
Dont let him get to you.
Just treat him like an idiot, laugh at him, then play something you enjoy.

BAN PUNCHER

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
source.gif

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
His PR is getting more desperate as more and more people dont just swallow his normal PR wholesale.

Its also wierd that he is doing this righat after his store got some good News/PR?

Last edited:

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if upper management are pushing him towards it.

He IS uppermanagement, he owns enough of the stock to not care about what the rest of the company says, really only Tencent could do anything to him if they wanted but they are famously hands-off with foreign companies.

Sweeney's behavior is reminding me of Musk. When someone bad happens, he goes into spit out bullshit PR mode.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
He IS uppermanagement, he owns enough of the stock to not care about what the rest of the company says, really only Tencent could do anything to him if they wanted but they are famously hands-off with foreign companies.

Sweeney's behavior is reminding me of Musk. When someone bad happens, he goes into spit out bullshit PR mode.
Ah so in that case
Dude is legit shook and crazy @_@

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
Ah so in that case
Dude is legit shook and crazy @_@

He is in diversion mode (like Elon) after that big expose that showed that he has been overworking his Fortnite devs like Rockstar. IE 80hr work weeks, long term to crank out content for Fortnite, and we wonder why no one else could keep up.

Their BR competiton aren't killing their own devs.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Another day, another Epic story pissing me off. Still pissed I'm going to have to wait six months after release to play Borderlands 3, if I ever do at all.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK

I'd say its the old 'dead cat strategy' but I don't think Tim's worried about bad PR enough to want to distract attention. The majority of these tech bros live lives of such extraordinary privilege that they can say and do practically whatever and face no repercussions at all. It's bound to skew your approach to things.

If I were perhaps being unfair I'd suggest that a 30% store cut denies Tim money, while overworking devs makes Tim money, so he's obviously going to see only one as a problem.

Catshade

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if Valve can offer a tiered revenue sharing not based on copies sold, but on time of release. Like, 80% for the first week, then 75% for the following weeks until a month, then the standard 70%. It's more enticing for smaller pubs/devs since most sales are frontloaded, but in the long term Valve still get their usual cut.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
The more Sweeney tweets lately, the more it reminds me of Trump.

This a) makes no sense, b) is trying to push a narrative that Steam is a big bad thing, and c) is trying to push the narrative that stores shouldn't have added value, but merely be someplace to buy things. B and C would - shockingly! - help Sweeney and the EGS, as B turns people against Steam, and C is trying to push the idea that a store that is "pure" and free from random extras (like EGS) is "better".
too used to dealing with people who MUST buy or MUST have a transaction, or can't just say "no" and walk away. Unfortunately for him, the latter is exactly what's going to happen to Epic Megastore if he isn't careful.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Still playing AC Odyssey. I didn't expect to enjoy it as much as I have! So glad all content can be set to scale to your level. I'm doing a story quest intended for level 19 while being level 44. Got a little sidetracked. It's so nice to be able to take things at my own pace. I really appreciate all the ways you can tweak the difficulty.

kafiend

Oct 25, 2017
Another day, another Epic story pissing me off. Still pissed I'm going to have to wait six months after release to play Borderlands 3, if I ever do at all.

I like games. I also like books and music and have never ever been upset or irritated that I can't read or listen to everything. I am getting the same way about games these days. Every time someone from Epic or a dev/pub that made an exclusive deal opens their mouth and spews out rubbish, a little bit of my irritation gets shifted to not giving a shit. Borderlands 3? Love the series but don't really care if I ever play it.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I like games. I also like books and music and have never ever been upset or irritated that I can't read or listen to everything. I am getting the same way about games these days. Every time someone from Epic or a dev/pub that made an exclusive deal opens their mouth and spews out rubbish, a little bit of my irritation gets shifted to not giving a shit. Borderlands 3? Love the series but don't really care if I ever play it.

Borderlands 2 was my shit, largely thanks to Steam. My friends being able to drop in and out. Chatting about the game while playing. Sharing screenshots on our profiles and opining about them. That it cloud sync'd so I could play at home on a Monday then pick up where I left off on the following Thursday on my laptop while on a business trip. Them going with the Epic store merely means I would have to buy it through them, then play it with none of the above. So each time I hear of another EGS exclusive it makes me hate them even more and more determined not to support them. We should be able to play on any digital platform we choose when it comes to PC. It's always been the allure. Fuck Epic.

Wok

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
France
Is there any website which allows to detect arbitrages with respect to booster packs and gems? I have tried SteamCardExchange, but it is really flawed.

For instance, for 667 gems, I can craft a Crash Bandicoot booster pack, which I can immediately sell for 0,17€ (the highest buy order).
In the end, I receive 0,15€ after paying Valve's fees.

Meanwhile, the price of a sack of 1000 gems is 0,21 € (the lowest sell order).

Overall, that means that:
  • I can pay 0,42€ to get 2000 gems,
  • add 1 gem from my inventory, and craft 3 booster packs for a total of 2001 gems,
  • immediately sell them and earn 0,45€, or try to aim for a bigger profit by listing them for sale.
That is a profit of at least 3 cents, for doing nothing, and despite paying Valve's fee.

The only limitations are that:
  • one can only craft booster packs for owned games,
  • one cannot craft more than 1 booster pack per day and per game,
  • you may have to pay 1 gem to open a sack of gems, not sure about that.
Anyway, it is weird that people have not programmed bots to take advantage of these. I guess there are more profitable strategies that bots are taking advantage of.

Last edited:

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Tim/Elon comparison is pretty fitting tbh. They are both cult of personality corporate types who benefit from severe workforce exploitation, and love to go into full PR bullshit mode on Twitter.

BlueOdin

Oct 26, 2017
The Tim/Elon comparison is pretty fitting tbh. They are both cult of personality corporate types who benefit from severe workforce exploitation, and love to go into full PR bullshit mode on Twitter.

How long until Tim Sweeney proclaims his love for anime on Twitter and makes a song about an outdated internet meme?

Status
Not open for further replies.