• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tombstone for Orange should say:

• Windows ME is a good operating system

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • UN Ambassador for PC Gaming

Votes: 34 13.3%
  • Report this Orange man

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Still thinks PC Gaming is dead

Votes: 22 8.6%
  • ༼ つ ▀̿_▀̿ ༽つ (I have no idea if this one is allowed)

Votes: 57 22.3%
  • nice thread btw :)

Votes: 91 35.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
This game is reminding me a lot of The Witcher 3 (AC: Odyssey).

The music is very similar, but the game itself also feels like they took a lot of queues from there.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't see a pop up stating to do this. Is this actually an open optional action? And if does the game use this kind of option during quests throughout the game?
It's mentioned in the quest text, but it is optional. You can resolve it through dialogue, breaking his stuff, or even just killing him.

There are a lot of various quest choices you can make throughout the game, and there are even consequences (including multiple endings). You can also have the sex with some people (not Socrates, though, boo).

This is the very first Assassin's Creed game I've begun and felt a little bit of wonder and motivation to carry on, the longest I've ever played one of these is around 3 hours (Black Flag), so I'm quite looking forward to this if it does indeed hook me.
Hope you enjoy it. The game is massive, so you may not ever get all the way through it, but it's still a ton of fun.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone made use of MSI Mystic Light? There's an option for it in Odyssey, and I have two compatible items. Using the Mystic Light app I can change their colours and light themes fine, but the option to sync it with the game is greyed out.

Long shot, but anyone have any ideas?

It's mentioned in the quest text, but it is optional. You can resolve it through dialogue, breaking his stuff, or even just killing him.

There are a lot of various quest choices you can make throughout the game, and there are even consequences (including multiple endings). You can also have the sex with some people (not Socrates, though, boo).

Hope you enjoy it. The game is massive, so you may not ever get all the way through it, but it's still a ton of fun.
It's great so far, very surprised how much I'm enjoying it. This traversal feels like it should be in every action RPG.

Nov 1, 2017
Btw AAA developer went indie

Nah, sit down. Valve actually has user reviews and they haven't abandoned them like they have so many other things. They aren't perfect but a lot of things aren't. The good thing is now that they are a "thing" even if Valve got rid of them I can imagine someone picking up the torch. The people most concerned with user reviews seem to be the devs...

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
I totally forgot that in torchlight you get to choose an animal to send your loot back to town. This is an MMO, right?

I should play torchlight 2 after I finish Dungeon Siege. I hardly played it when it released.

its like diablo but yes, Frontiers seems to be taking a more "mmo" approach with multiplayer.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
I'd be legit curious about whether all the devs who complain about user reviews just ignore every single review on Amazon, Yelp and Trip Advisor. If you use them - on any site - then you inherently accept that they have value, even if a particular website's implementation is flawed. And at that point you should stop disingenuously arguing against them and instead offer suggestions on improvements.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
If you don't make a bad game or do something to piss off your fanbase. You shouldn't be worried about user reviews, especially not with the new steam features in place to handle review bombing.

I really can't take any Dev seriously that thinks getting rid of them 100% is the answer. You can change how your game is reviewed from consumers. You're locked into whatever you get from regular Reviewets and Metacritic.

ColdSun

Together, we are strangers
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Were reviews meant as a means of meta-commentary on a product? No. But people do so, and others are willingly swayed by it; so it still serves a purpose.

As Jaw mentioned above, if you're releasing a product and have a problem with this; it's likely because you want to silence the consumer.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
I've been doing a data analysis on old Steamspy data for class and so far it appears that recommendations is the factor influencing sales, far eclipsing Metacritic reviews.

I think without recommendations you'll just have YT influencers and such who will just cover who they're paid to cover, and indie games will be left in the cold.

ColdSun

Together, we are strangers
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I've been doing a data analysis on old Steamspy data for class and so far it appears that recommendations is the factor influencing sales, far eclipsing Metacritic reviews.

I think without recommendations you'll just have YT influencers and such who will just cover who they're paid to cover, and indie games will be left in the cold.
I would imagine there are a few people in the industry who would prefer this. After all, as you point out, it's easy to pay YT influencers if you have a marketing budget.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
I'd be legit curious about whether all the devs who complain about user reviews just ignore every single review on Amazon, Yelp and Trip Advisor. If you use them - on any site - then you inherently accept that they have value, even if a particular website's implementation is flawed. And at that point you should stop disingenuously arguing against them and instead offer suggestions on improvements.

And so far none of those other review services have the suite of features that deal with just reviews.

And yet Steam reviews get the campaign to get removed.

zoku88

Oct 27, 2017
I really wasn't expecting anyone to bring up the Notre Dame case as an argument against user reviews. That's pretty tone-deaf...

z1ggy

Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
Companies/devs/publishers dont like consumers having some kind of power/control over their products and some consumers go agaisnt user reviews because of brand/platform loyalty.

You know when the pie is balanced someone will get angry

Dan L

Tried to PM someone for a tag
Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan
The backlash against user reviews comes off really shitty. Yeah review bombing is garbage but also reading the reason for review bombing can be useful. Steams tools for handling it now get rid of that issue, but saying user reviews are horrible just shows a complete lack of caring for your fans opinions also think about the discoverability it increases for if you follow someone who has similar tastes to yours you can find games that they dig and have a good feeling the game may also appeal to you.

that tweet just is really shitty imho

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
Review "pumping" because Ubisoft used the game to help the Catedral is now a bad thing? Really?

I mean, it's not a review of the game itself, so I can see the point, but at the same time it's long been accepted that factors outside the quality of a product itself inform perceptions of that product. So it's a pretty naive take to have.

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
I saw Hover Junkers had a Mixed score today, and compounded with the fact I didn't realize until recently that Mirage: Arcane Warfare was taken off Steam, it kinda got me thinking about a place user reviews maybe could improve on, albeit it's a niche area - small online multiplayer only indie titles. I don't think a game should get thumbs down/bad reviews solely because the user base is small or dwindling, which will only get smaller because of that, and lead to more bad reviews...and the cycle continues until the game is dead (like you straight up can't get into games anymore) or has a drastically worse aggregate score. Not to mention its hard to find actual decent criticism among those bad reviews, probably because the game itself isn't actually bad. I got the impression around launch time that Hover Junkers and Mirage were pretty good games.

I also don't like it because people have different definitions of what it means when a multiplayer game is "dead" or what a small user base entails. Can I literally never reliably get a game going? Or is there maybe a consistent base of a couple dozen people, enough to get into a server on most days? There's a world of difference between those two, but both situations can and will net you an uninformative, bad review saying "game is dead". Is there a behind the scenes community driven activity spike, like DUSK having frag night every Saturday where it's easy to get into a game then but hard otherwise? There's a lot of factors there.

Obviously I want to be informed if a game has a small user base, but that shouldn't come at the cost of the games reception, in my opinion. I dunno, just something I was thinking about. Have no idea what the solution what be if there even needs to be one. I mainly just feel bad for the Chivalry/Mirage devs.

Last edited:

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
I've asked before but does anyone have an explanation as to why steam started charging sales tax at the beginning of the year and then stopped a few weeks later? Lot of places started charging tax as of the 1st so it's a statewide thing but not sure why steam stopped. Worried this will be some Al Copone tax evasion shit years from now lol.

I'm adoring Supraland but every time it drops some super obvious media reference I feel my skin crawling. Such a smart game with the laziest of memes here and there tsk.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
If companies want user reviews gone, I'll be immediately suspicious of their intentions.
Tools like user reviews are prone to abuse, of course, but they provide a much larger benefit than downsides, IMO.

And of course it shouldnt be this way, but I would rather 'outrage' being contained in reviews than harassing people on Twitter or something.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Are there any open world games where you can casually explore and be rewarded with neat events and good loot that also have excellent action combat?

I'm trying to find an open world/wide-linear RPG action type atm that I can get lost exploring in, but either the combat in the games I look at seems lacklustre, or the exploration is described as a bit shallow.

I made a thread recently asking for recommendations, noting that Metro Exodus was one of the games I was interested in, but no one replied recommending it.

I've read that the exploration is a bit shallow and the open world parts a little empty, is this true? That's the main thing holding back my purchase atm.

I loved Elex's environments, but the combat was such a huge drag.

I don't think the game I'm after exists yet...

Have you tried Kingdoms of Amalur?

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
Honestly, fuck Disney for selling MUA license to Nintendo. I know, Activision was a mixed bag with their Marvel properties, but at least the games were available on multiple platforms, now it's just a fucking Switch, and considering the popularity of MCU I really doubt MUA was in similar position as Bayonetta.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Honestly, fuck Disney for selling MUA license to Nintendo. I know, Activision was a mixed bag with their Marvel properties, but at least the games were available on multiple platforms, now it's just a fucking Switch, and considering the popularity of MCU I really doubt MUA was in similar position as Bayonetta.

Yes because the MCU popularity is making companies shit out Marvel games like hotcakes lately... oh wait, we'll have The Avengers someday maybe (lol) and we had MvCI which was... yeeeeeah...

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
Yes because the MCU popularity is making companies shit out Marvel games like hotcakes lately... oh wait, we'll have The Avengers someday maybe (lol) and we had MvCI which was... yeeeeeah...
Making games takes more time now, I don't expect AAA Marvel game to be made as close to the Endgame release as possible, plus SE should've waited with the announcement.

What I'm saying is, Disney Interactive (or whatever they called these days) still have no idea how to operate. They have a couple of successful mobile F2Ps and that's it, they have no idea what else to do with their Marvel properties, licensing MUA to N just proves it. I hope the game is successful, even though the majority of the intended audience is most likely gaming on different platforms.

Wok

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
France

Metro was review-dumped directly because of its EGS exclusivity.

Unity is not being review-pumped directly because of the fire at Notre Dame, it is being review-pumped due to the fact that it allows the player to explore the roofs of a realistic 3D model of Notre Dame. The positive reviews are actually for what the game offers, which has become more valuable after the roofs were completely destroyed in the real world.

Joe Spangle

Nov 1, 2017
Somebody in that other thread suggested just change them from User Reviews to User feedback which I think is a simple solution.

C4rter

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Got a 3$ discount on the Humbly Monthly and decided to try it again. So prepare for a lot of bad games in the next bundle.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't be against just dropping the aggregate score. Both users and developers seem to be putting way too much stock into it when actually reading the content is vastly superior as a buyer's guide. It's rarely that hard to find some well written ones.

People in general need to get away from seeing scores as an objective measurement of the quality. It's a buyer's guide and some choose to buy or not to buy based on reasons not directly related to a games quality all the time.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I wouldn't be against just dropping the aggregate score. Both users and developers seem to be putting way too much stock into it when actually reading the content is vastly superior as a buyer's guide. It's rarely that hard to find some well written ones.

People in general need to get away from seeing scores as an objective measurement of the quality. It's a buyer's guide and some choose to buy or not to buy based on reasons not directly related to a games quality all the time.

There's occasionally a thread about the value of number-based scoring (usually whenever an anticipated game consistently gets 7s or 8s) and the response is usually mixed. Taking the number into account with the actual text of a review seems to be how such reviews are intended but you lose that when you aggregate them, not to mention the whole "reads like a 9 but you gave it an 8 for clicks" BS.

The whole Metascore prediction/metacommentary has never appealed to me, and now we even get site-warring between Metacritic and OpenCritic advocates over which gives the number that better represents how good a game is. I just feels like it's getting a bit out of hand.

Wok

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
France
Take full control of a heavily defended German city on a quest you must complete in an attempt to rebuild the city in five years' time. Battle your way through the hordes of enemies of the Third Reich while avoiding the dreaded Stalingrad subway system. Destroy hordes of zombies and enemies on the rails, or join them from the subway stations, or fight an unseen enemy at the railway station. As the story progresses, find new weapons, upgrade your military, build more guns and equipment along the way.

lmao

Training in-progress.

gitrektali

Feb 22, 2018
Okay, maybe this is the place to ask this. When I switch off Vsync and switch to borderless, in most of the games, and get 60+ fps, I notice that there's a lot less...smoothness to it all? It's hard to explain, but it's a bit jittery as compared to when I'm getting 60 fps locked in fullscreen with Vsync enabled (I have a 60hz screen). Why is this? I've tried setting my frames to 60 using Rivatuner, but it's just not the same as having sync enabled. I'd like to get that smoothness without it though.

Any help would be appreciated.

C4rter

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Ac origin and wandersong for $9 doesnt sound too bad imo.

That's true. I decided to try it just for Origins alone. Don't know what to think of Wandersong. I'm not a big fan of music or rhythm driven games.

Edit:

What is going in now:
Access Denied
You don't have permission to access "http://store.steampowered.com/" on this server.
Reference #18.6c3d1602.1555844362.ffb187a5

Edit2:
Apparently, because I opened 14 Steam URLs in a short time, they blocked my IP. Funny.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.