• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tombstone for Orange should say:

• Windows ME is a good operating system

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • UN Ambassador for PC Gaming

Votes: 34 13.3%
  • Report this Orange man

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Still thinks PC Gaming is dead

Votes: 22 8.6%
  • ༼ つ ▀̿_▀̿ ༽つ (I have no idea if this one is allowed)

Votes: 57 22.3%
  • nice thread btw :)

Votes: 91 35.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 28, 2017
Hi- yes, I know what the specs are haha. But being new to gaming on the PC I was hoping there was just a program that told me every game my computer can run. It looks like CanYouRunIt does that.

Ah, I see. Welcome to the fold, my friend. Always nice to see some new faces around here. =)

What games have you been playing so far? What inspired you to build/buy the pc?

Trojita

Oct 25, 2017
LL9DKnF.jpg

Lets try this again. I had it on PS4 a long while ago, played for like 8 hours then gave up. I think I was in the wrong mindset at the time. When 0, 1 and now 2 were announced / released on PC I was seeing everyone excited so decided to give it another shot. Went PC this time as, I have no choice but to play it now i've bought it!
They fixed some bugs recently for the game too.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
Oh yeah, thing to know, Steam will refund anything no questions asked as long as its been played less than 2 hours and its within 14 days of purchase
It's worth mentioning that it's still possible to get a refund even if you're outside of the refund window, it'll just be reviewed on a case by case basis rather than an automatic refund.

BaronVonJof

Apr 12, 2018
United Kingdom
Ah, I see. Welcome to the fold, my friend. Always nice to see some new faces around here. =)

What games have you been playing so far? What inspired you to build/buy the pc?

Thanks for the welcome. Its nice to be here. :) My PC arrived this morning so I've literally been setting it up and so forth. I've played on PC before but mainly just for Football Manager.

I just subbed to EA as I wanted to download my favourite games (KOTOR & Mass Effect) Also looking forward to Jedi Fallen Order when that comes this November.

I've always wanted to play games on PC, and there are so many games which aren't available on other platforms, that's probably the biggest reason that motivated me to get a pc.

Ganado

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I really "love" how those EGS threads go.

People talk about the (valid) problems that Steam has with Rapeday and "hating" games, but somehow ignore that Tim Sweeney, the CEO of Epic was mad that Alex Jones, not Boogie or Yongyea or some "not that right" GG/"centrists" got banned, but fucking Alex Jones.
While I personally don't think it might have anything to do with why EGS is shit directly, knowing this forum, this most certainly should be one of the hot topics. I guess it's easy to don't read what doesn't fits the narrative tho.

Wok

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
France
As a thank you, do you remember the 4X game that you said might change your opinion about 4X games some time ago?

I believe it was this one. Edit: Yep.

30061df4b276bc6899c6bcd01f3532c4c376d8b9.png

bdc9d5898c93767bda2154b6c8d6a7ce7f038017.jpg

I was able to hide it just fine? Set Category>Hide this game in my library

edit: too late.

Weird. The option is not available for me. I had to do the trick in "Detailed View".

Here are screenshots in French, but you get the idea: there are fewer options available in the context menu.

THaDa0F.png
LjNmnXT.png

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
Thanks for the welcome. Its nice to be here. :) My PC arrived this morning so I've literally been setting it up and so forth. I've played on PC before but mainly just for Football Manager.

I just subbed to EA as I wanted to download my favourite games (KOTOR & Mass Effect) Also looking forward to Jedi Fallen Order when that comes this November.

I've always wanted to play games on PC, and there are so many games which aren't available on other platforms, that's probably the biggest reason that motivated me to get a pc.

Fantastic. I was always such a retro gamer/Nintendo devotee, but I'll never forget booting up games like Bastion, and Kotor, on my old laptop and realizing that I had the specs to play more than I realized. It wasn't long after that I built a PC in 2015 to play Witcher 3, and ditched my HUGE retro collection entirely as I became more and more enamored with the platform. PC opened up an entire new world of gaming to me, to the point where I find consoles kind of silly in 2019, but to each their own.

There's so many Star Wars games on Steam, and they constantly go on sale, btw. I don't personally care much for Origin... but if they bring the NHL franchise back to PC - I know exactly where I'll be signing up.

Have fun, and make yourself at home. =)

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017

A fellow man of culture, I see

BaronVonJof

Apr 12, 2018
United Kingdom
Fantastic. I was always such a retro gamer/Nintendo devotee, but I'll never forget booting up games like Bastion, and Kotor, on my old laptop and realizing that I had the specs to play more than I realized. It wasn't long after that I built a PC in 2015 to play Witcher 3, and ditched my HUGE retro collection entirely as I became more and more enamored with the platform. PC opened up an entire new world of gaming to me, to the point where I find consoles kind of silly in 2019, but to each their own.

There's so many Star Wars games on Steam, and they constantly go on sale, btw. I don't personally care much for Origin... but if they bring the NHL franchise back to PC - I know exactly where I'll be signing up.

Have fun, and make yourself at home. =)

That's such a cool story, I wish I had the skills to have built my PC but I guess I'll learn more with time. Yeah just looking at the different game clients, and different stores etc and all the games on offer that I've never had a chance to play before really excites me.

I'll still keep my consoles for exclusives and that, but I'm hoping PC will be my main platform from now on.

Yeah Origin was expensive but I know I'll get my moneys worth out of it so it's all good.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
FYI, for those interested in Imperator Rome, looks like the embargos are up and there is a ton of let's plays and videos on Imperator Rome on youtube. Also several streamers streaming it on Twitch.

LOoks to be an amazing game so far.

Endruen

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Woah, guys, lately I've been hooked to Bloodborne so I haven't even turned on my PC because I'm always playing it, so i haven't checked this thread and caught on JaseC leaving yesterday by chance, and now I find all this? Jeez.
Well, guys, it's sad to see some of you go or post less after all these years. I guess I'll keep playing Bloodborne and once I get my plat I'll decide if I end up joining MC or keep lurking this and ocasionally post, as I've always done.

bmdubya

Nov 1, 2017
Colorado
I have a general PC question (for daily PC users) --

has it ever been proven whether it's best to completely turn off each night (Shut Down), or use Sleep, or just keep it completely on the whole time?

what do yall do and for what reasons?

sometimes I hear that powering your PC on every day (from Shut Down) uses a bunch more power and is bad for your components, but that seems like bullshit to me but i'm no electric engineer
I just leave my computer on all the time, restart as needed if I have weird issues.

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It takes my PC like 3 seconds to start up and get to the login screen, and no more than 2 seconds to shut down.

I just shut the thing down

Endruen

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
I usually turn it off at night. If I have to use it I turn it on and usually leave it on until I go to sleep. It takes too long to boot up (it will go sluggish until 10 min or so), though, I don't know what else I can do to solve it, I already lowered the ammount of applications that boot up with it, but with 3 launchers that's hard to reduce even more.

EffettoNotte

Alt Account
Banned
Mar 17, 2019
I have never used sleep mode, even when I had HDD.
Now with SSD sleep mode is just usless since the system boots in 5 sec.

zoku88

Oct 27, 2017
FYI, for those interested in Imperator Rome, looks like the embargos are up and there is a ton of let's plays and videos on Imperator Rome on youtube. Also several streamers streaming it on Twitch.

LOoks to be an amazing game so far.
I saw people were having videos last week, but I think there was some type of embargo up. I think it was conditioned on playing as a non republic.

Oct 28, 2017
That's such a cool story, I wish I had the skills to have built my PC but I guess I'll learn more with time. Yeah just looking at the different game clients, and different stores etc and all the games on offer that I've never had a chance to play before really excites me.

I'll still keep my consoles for exclusives and that, but I'm hoping PC will be my main platform from now on.

Yeah Origin was expensive but I know I'll get my moneys worth out of it so it's all good.

Lol, it really isn't, but thanks. You took a solid first step and you'll learn as you go. Eventually you'll wanna upgrade certain parts of your current rig, and realize that's half the fun. Dont be intimidated, PC building is often compared to legos for a reason, and there's always pcpartpicker.com to back you up if you need to check on compatibility. Rock on, dude.

Oct 25, 2017
Taiwan
I usually turn it off at night. If I have to use it I turn it on and usually leave it on until I go to sleep. It takes too long to boot up (it will go sluggish until 10 min or so), though, I don't know what else I can do to solve it, I already lowered the ammount of applications that boot up with it, but with 3 launchers that's hard to reduce even more.

Don't have them auto start on launch? Do stagger starts with schedule. Have one start 1 or 2 minutes later after log in, then the next one do 1.5m later etc

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Anybody playing One Finger Death Punch 2?

I don't know what I'm doing to cause it, but the manual speed keeps getting bumped up to 2.33x. I don't know if I'm pressing some weird hotkey when tabbing out of the game or something, but it's getting annoying.

Edit: Oh... Is this game dynamically adjusting my manual speed or something?

Last edited:

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017

Tom Giardino
@tomgvalve

Elsewhere on the public stats page is cool stuff like Hardware Survey and download stats. I only check this every few weeks but it always blows my mind. EX: we shipped *3TB* of content and updates to users in Madagascar the past 7 days. Whoa. (link: https://store.steampowered.com/stats/content/) store.steampowered.com/stats/content/

3tb to Madagascar in just 7 days. Just... It's weird how there's so many places around the world that are still untapped because, well, no-one thinks of them in the slightest.

Oct 27, 2017

Tom Giardino
@tomgvalve

Elsewhere on the public stats page is cool stuff like Hardware Survey and download stats. I only check this every few weeks but it always blows my mind. EX: we shipped *3TB* of content and updates to users in Madagascar the past 7 days. Whoa. (link: https://store.steampowered.com/stats/content/) store.steampowered.com/stats/content/

3tb to Madagascar in just 7 days. Just... It's weird how there's so many places around the world that are still untapped because, well, no-one thinks of them in the slightest.

Kinda funny to see color in Greenland :p

Shengar

Oct 26, 2017

Tom Giardino
@tomgvalve

That data is really useful to gauge the size of individual. For instance now I know that for my region: 1) Indonesia is smaller than Philippines and Vietnam 2) Thailand is the biggest market by the metric of download alone. Number 2 is particularly interesting because my friend have said it before this how Thailand is an emerging market. I wonder if we'll ever see more Thai localization once more devs caught more of this.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
The first human win happened.

DNUUsDu.png

Gonna be interesting when they see the reasons behind the loss.

Edit: pros thinking was that long games would favour humans, as AIs havent trained enough in those conditions sot theyt did not know how to build for late game (shown in the combined human+AI games where AI didnt finish their builds)
Pros also thought that smoke would be an amazing tool against the AI (as they really seemed lost when there was noone visible).

Last edited:

Wok

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
France
Apparently, you have to unleash the apocalypse in order to win.

Edit: After watching more closely, it is actually a clear win.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
And second AI loss. Seems they have found a way. Another 40+ minute match.

I guess the trick is long games then.

Status
Not open for further replies.